• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Do any of the EU4 addons improve the base game noticeably?

As Venice > Commonwealth, I shall give a fuller answer. Even if it is much later.

Art of War is essential, as it noticeably revamps the military side of the game, bringing amongst other things an army builder, which is so wonderfully helpful. There's religious league wars, client states, being able to push vassals cb's. It's just amazingly helpful, and I couldn't imagine playing the game without the features it brings.

The rest are dependent upon your preferences and your budget. Common Sense, Conquest of Paradise, El Dorado, Res Publica, and Wealth of Nations are the big ones, with American Dream, Purple Phoenix and Star and Crescent being minor expansions. Women in History, while counted as an expansion, is free. So download it.

Common Sense is the latest, and therefore most expensive expansion, but changes the game in quite a big way. Now, tall nations are more possible, as you can develop your existing provinces to bring better rewards. As someone who doesn't like the Map Painter 4 side of EU4, this is manna from heaven for me. There's also a great deal of expanded content for theocracies, protestantism, and the English get a parliamentary system.

Conquest of Paradise added a lot when it launched, but most of those features are either free or were added for free to the base game later. Now all it offers is the ability to play as colonial or native american nations, and a random new world generator.

El Dorado adds a lot for Central American nations, with massively revamped Inti, Mayan and Nahuatl religious groups. There's also custom nations, which can be a lot of fun if unbalanced, and automated exploration which rather noticeably changes the entire colonial game. You can't just direct your explorer fleets westward anymore, you have to let the explorer do the work.

Res Publica completely changes the Republican governments, adding in things like the Dutch Republic, Dictatorships and loads of new events for Republicans and Elective Monarchies.

Finally, Wealth of Nations revamps the trade system, adding in privateers, trade companies, trade conflicts and trade ports. There's also new features for Hindu and Reformed nations.

Out of those major ones, I'd say that Wealth of Nations is the most universally useful, as trade is something every nation will do. For the rest, it's just a matter of deciding to get them if you want to play as a nation it'll affect.

Now for the minor ones. American Dream is pointless, as it only adds a few events for the USA, and then only if you pick the USA from one of the later start times. So you get some events for a whole 44 years of playtime. Purple Phoenix adds events for Byzantium, so if you want to resurrect the Roman Empire it's essential. But otherwise pointless. Star and Crescent adds in events and decisions for Muslim nations, and so is far more universally useful.

Chariot

word from Valve is that they are checking the figures and anyone caught using scripts will have their badge removed this is why the game is stopped right now.
After they seemingly embraced it with the Wormhole badge? That would be tough.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Grim Dawn is pretty fucking good

Im usually anti-early access, but diablo style games are constantly being updated as it is

Backlogger

I'm hoping Steam Community is just down right now. I can't log into my Monster game.

Broken for me too... damn

Edit: seems like things are coming back up, hopefully my room is intact.

People are using scripts because there are badges you can't get any other way.

Edit: and my room is back!

Shadownet

Banned
Congratulation gurm3n for winning Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
By default cause no one else entered lol

Next giveaway coming right up.
---------------------------------------------------
The game is back up guys, try refreshing your page.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 24 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Runaway A Twist of Fate -- MB-FDD9A521E1FEBA8B - Taken by texhnolyze
The Journey Down Chapter One -- MB-7EA0045E2BAA4681
The Lord of the Rings Online Steely Dawn Starter Pack -- MB-4DDC79D07BA1D404
AVSEQ -- MB-F52210648575EC14
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-173DCB0E8E9BCEAE - Taken by Avinexus
Lucid -- MB-8D60658FE63A67D0
Betrayer -- MB-0DB0BDA7C1ABE96E - Taken by Vuze
SteamWorld Dig -- MB-CF5A75541366F12C - Taken by crimsonheadGCN
Batman Arkham Origins DLC -- MB-E96B6FA59EB07331 - Taken by gimel
Guacamelee -- MB-F4682DFE6A026659 - Taken by lindarasta
Brutal Legend -- MB-0435B44CAE15FE13 - Taken by Hanzou
Costume Quest -- MB-8485F122896017C1 - Taken by GaussTek
Surgeon Simulator -- MB-E478478DAC3803E5 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Runaway A Road Adventure -- MB-D4692A53ED8C3E54 - Taken by Mass_Pincup
Payday 2 Lycanwulf and The One Below Masks -- MB-9BE7CD93AB8CFB6E
xheRJRF.gif
Gish -- MB-7231E2555D517260
Hamlet or the Last Game -- MB-E94F79A691A696D5 - Taken by ExoSoul
Torchlight 2 -- MB-1A6187D862FCF58E - Taken by Gintoki
Runaway The Dream of the Turtle -- MB-653640AB48AF8ED4 - Taken by Annubis
Last Knight -- MB-A6E49EB3848A6068 - Taken by xenoflux2113
Governor of Poker 2 -- MB-08DEB145CBD1F97D - Taken by Sammichu
Metamorphabet -- MB-38C5CF14059F7776 - Taken by WinterDemons
Home -- MB-3F415C77509C2B9A - Taken by Eila
Fist of J -- MB-688DCA531844D503 - Taken by alr1ght

Yesterday, I said I didn't like Arkham Origins' story. I take that back, it picks up after the first(?) boss fight with Bane. The game as a whole picks up from the Royal Hotel onwards.

dex3108

Man Doug Lombardi keeps telling those kids listen your user base/customers and yet we are asking them for HL3 for years and no answer XD

Shadownet

Banned
My birthday is not for a short while. But I can't wait till then to give back something to you guys so here it is.

I'm doing 23 giveaways. There are only 5 rules.
1. Please only enter for games you don't have.
2. Once you win something, you are no longer eligible to win any other giveaways. So think about and make sure that it is the game you want. Maybe the next one might be better.
3. I reserve the right to take off any name that was entered if I find out you're a lurker or whatever.
4. Each giveaway will most likely be either 24 hours or until people stop entering. Whatever happen first. I will give a warning post before I close up the giveaway.
5. Don't wish me Happy Birthday yet. If you do, I will send ninjas and spiders after you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please quote to reveal the link, input your name and good luck!

Giveaway #14: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Uzzy

Hey Uzzy, I noticed you played Talisman recently. What's your opinion?

That was just me idling, I'm afraid. But I've played the boardgame a lot and enjoyed it, and the digital version is a pretty faithful recreation from what I understand.

Giveaway #14: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Great giveaway, but giving away stuff for free flies in the face of Capitalism, Ho!

Does anyone have an opinion for Talisman?

Do you like the boardgame? If so, it's a very faithful adaptation of that boardgame, and having the computer keep track of all the numbers is a nice benefit.

If you don't like the boardgame, this won't change your mind at all. it's still fundamentally a roll-and-move random-centric affair, and the game takes way, WAY longer than it should, with interest usually petering out before the game actually ends.

Can someone trade me the Blitzkrieg card? Just need it to craft the badge. Have multiple copies of all except for Bob and Cerulean Carmouth. (Not sure if this is a good place to ask.)

Backlogger

Man, that outage really killed the # of active users in a room. Probably a lot of people haven't noticed yet that they were booted. Went from around 850 to 650

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (alr1ght, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Thief Gold -- MB-669EABE3D429E142 - Taken by impliedsignificance

GW2 has always felt like a scam to me. It's a really well designed free-to-play game (complete with microtransactions and an insufferable, grindy combat engine) that costs $60. This expansion adds an even bigger barrier to entry, and if it adds an extra class or race you'll be shelling out another ten or twenty bucks for additional character slots, if you want to experience all the races and classes.

The thing that bothers me the most about GW2 is how it's got all this item bloat to encourage players to buy inventory/bank expansions. It's 100% free-to-play game design that does not belong in retail games. So disgusting.

Ruruja

Does setting your status to Busy stop 'Ruruja is now playing xxxxxxx' popping up on friends' screens? Servers are a bit iffy with FF14 and I don't want to annoy anyone with constantly popping up.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
idk 47075 is jumping like a rocket

4/5 million jump in 10 minutes.

47092 is a bust, too many trolls skipping bosses and nuking them. We've been averaging a million levels an hour, but that's way too slow to hit 100m before the reset.

Might have to hope I can squeeze in to a YOWH group, they seem to be a bit better organized than the reddit rooms.

Meaningless words.

Unity was a looker on PC but outside of being shiny it did nothing else right. Game launched in a very poorly optimized state and stayed like that for quite awhile without the developers even addressing the issue for some time as well. Technical issues aside, gameplay wise I think they tried their best to bring down the series into a much more stale state than it already was (as hard as that may be to believe).

So yeah anything they have to say I will take with a pinch of salt because they sure have a lot to prove.

Hektor

GW2 has always felt like a scam to me. It's a really well designed free-to-play game (complete with microtransactions and an insufferable, grindy combat engine) that costs $60. This expansion adds an even bigger barrier to entry, and if it adds an extra class or race you'll be shelling out another ten or twenty bucks for additional character slots, if you want to experience all the races and classes.

The thing that bothers me the most about GW2 is how it's got all this item bloat to encourage players to buy inventory/bank expansions. It's 100% free-to-play game design that does not belong in retail games. So disgusting.

But its an MMO. They have to have those microtransaction in this game to make it profitable, 60$ aint enough for the servers and constant content updates.. The only other option would be to make this game subscriptionbased like WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom