• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

i saw this Egyptian Ad for a new movie in cinema

CG-CKjbWcAAxxLT.jpg

hmmmm...look very familiar
name of the movie in arabic "آلام الوهم" , its mean "Illusion pain" or in other words "Phantom Pain"

Arthea

I really think we need to wait a bit for the two reasons I mentioned. This is new, people are curious, they need money for a sale or are refunding recent purchases in hope for a discount. Let's look at some numbers in 2 months before we are saying the idea is a failure (for devs).

I do think that short and story focused games will suffer a bit, but I also think that repeated abuse like that will be handled by Valve.

I think that you guys are very naive, well not all, but some, or you just are overusing ostrich policy.
How many games at full price many indies sell do you think? In hundreds at most, now think about how many users steam has, do the math.
It's not gonna end well, I don't believe it even for a second, it simply can't. We got region locks because small part of userbase (yes, small part) was abusing it. And it is something that everybody can abuse. Granted, many will choose not to, as Jasec, me etc., but many will, you know that, you just don't wanna admit it.

I could think of several hundred titles we need on Steam.

that was a joke, man, old one to boot, years ago we talked about rumours that Halo is releasing on steam and I said I'd take Viva Pinata instead on steam, and then we went on, how ya, we would take it over Halo.

derExperte

No that was qwiboo.

These guys made the fantastic game ziggurat.

Also here's a reddit thread from /r/gamedev about it: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/38xqpi/indie_developers_report_steam_refund_abuse_from/

Beyond Gravity was on sale for a few cents during the last few days? No. edit: Okay, it was on sale earlier, then became more expensive when the refunds got announced. Makes sense that way but tbf afair the dev said at first he didn't have the full data. And when he got it there were actually lots of refunds.

I think that you guys are very naive, well not all, but some, or you just are overusing ostrich policy.
How many games at full price many indies sell do you think? In hundreds at most, now think about how many users steam has, do the math.
It's not gonna end well, I don't believe it even for a second, it simply can't. We got region locks because small part of userbase (yes, small part) was abusing it. And it is something that everybody can abuse. Granted, many will choose not to, as Jasec, me etc., but many will, you know that, you just don't wanna admit it.

I think you are completely overreacting. Your argument is the same as saying every game needs crazy DRM because a small number of people is pirating games. You don't really believe that a majority of Steam users will abuse the refund system? This is a fantastic feature for consumers that shouldn't be ruined by a few people trying to game the system. Wait until we see the mid- to long-term effects and how Valve handles abuse.

Online shopping still exists in Europe even though you have practically the same right to refund anything.

Milamber

That was a joke, man, old one to boot, years ago we talked about rumours that Halo is releasing on steam and I said I'd take Viva Pinata instead on steam, and then we went on, how ya, we would take it over Halo.

Oh, my bad.

EDIT: Holy shit! Utawarerumono Season 2!!! There is a god!!!

Purkake4

Banned
Thought this was interesting

3M3mOnY.png

People testing the refund system, getting refunds to have money for the sale or Valve killing video games? I guess we'lll know in the future
Customers exercising their rights. Hopefully this will lead to better games in the long run and encourage people to try more new things.

Buraindo

Morning everyone, hope you can all have a good start of the week!

Regarding the upcoming sale talk I'll be mostly searching for those hidden little gems that we all miss every now and then. I finished Marlow Briggs yesterday (tiny review is some pages back) and it was just the sort of game that doesn't get noticed easily but it was a nice surprise so I'll be looking for those hidden gems during the sale hoping I get something interesting.

Looking forward to reading your posts on this Monk.
Reminds me of how I found out about Dungeons of Dredmor, played that game for like 80 hours and barely spent 5 euro for base game and dlc.

i'm pretty sure that every time Marlow Briggs gets down to .99 it gets its own thread. Saying that it goes unnoticed seems a bit much. Game gets a ton of love all the time.

Arthea

I think you are completely overreacting. Your argument is the same as saying every game needs crazy DRM because a small number of people is pirating games. You don't really believe that a majority of Steam users will abuse the refund system? This is a fantastic feature for consumers that shouldn't be ruined by a few people trying to game the system. Wait until we see the mid- to long-term effects and how Valve handles abuse.

It's not the same at all! We are talking about legal way of getting your money back after you finished the game. How can you even compare?
Crazy DRM doesn't save from pirates, everybody knows that, it only inconveniences your legit users. Nor legal users will pirate the game because it has sick DRM. While letting people to get refund on any game, even one you finished, no questions asked is tempting huge amount of people to do just that.
Feature is only then fantastic, when it doesn't really hurt anybody, while this we got, can hurt devs of short games, badly. Although Valve still can tweak rules and they probably will.
We'll see soon enough am I overreacting or being realistic. I mean after sale ends, sale isn't normal time for any prognosis or normal behaviour.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
huh what's this, i get an error if I try to install it

That's an old beta for the current Steam Community profiles and features. There was a slow rollout as all of the new features were introduced and tightened up before they were unrolled to everyone.

Customers exercising their rights. Hopefully this will lead to better games in the long run and encourage people to try more new things.

On the flip side, this is discouraging many experimental game makers from wanting to try new things. I think there's a lot of panic about it that will settle as Valve works out the kinks, which will hopefully happen sooner rather than later.

Arthea

Care to share your list? I'm going to start W2 after finishing W1.
Hey bud. It got really late once our visitors left and I didn't just want to post a useless list of mods and not write important things to take into account, probably causing you all kinds of compatibility headaches (like it did for me :p).

Anyway, I tried the game with the mods and it really got a bit complicated at some points. Currently prepping a post for that.

Only a bit more patience and you'll get a hopefully useful mod-post :)

PLlv3ng.png

I see that Sins of a Dark Age turned Free-to-Play. I remember it being purchasable with money though before.

What would happen if I used a Steam key purchased back then now? Cause I have a Steam Key for that.

Hey, thanks.
Haha, that is a cool tag. The trophy makes it :p

Damn, you registered three years ago and only have about 300 posts
Some hardcore lurking :O
yes no problem, done.
Just saw you have your old tag. Did you turn your back on the states or finally settled completely in the US of Freedom?
Tag fishing
and succeeding. :O
I only ever saw that one old legendary thread-fishing thread in OT where almost everyone who posted got a tag. But since then thread-fishing never worked afair. It's kinda needy, so I don't like it as well.
Steam page for Close Your Eyes is coming along, hope for it to be live somewhere before the week is up:
Nice. How come you opted for having languages as DLC and not in the game? Just curious.

Anteater

Double Dragon Neon is really fun, surprised it got a lot of hate, it's a pretty decent beatemup.

That's an old beta for the current Steam Community profiles and features. There was a slow rollout as all of the new features were introduced and tightened up before they were unrolled to everyone.

hmm weird

You have found secret entrance for devs community? xD

I was hoping for something like that :p

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Talking about that PC pc, we don't expect any announcements, or do we?

From paradox I would guess on:

• Pillar of eternity expansion
  • Footage from hearts of iron 4
  • First cities skylines dlc
  • Maybe some more indies published by paradox

my reservations when it comes to PC announcements is that this seems like the year that we're going to get a blast of VR at e3. It reminds me of when Sony went in hard on the 3D stuff and we basically had an e3 that was all about 3d.

even as someone who likes 3D, i fucking hated that year.

For the PC press conference, I am expecting a fucking Left 4 Dead 3 announcement. it is time, Valve.

Also, I think there will be an announcement about a huge update to DayZ to fix it's framerate. It'll launch in the next week or two.

Destiny coming to PC in the fall. This is in development at High Moon Studios.

And Blizzard announcing that they will start supporting Linux.

Parsnip

It's not the same at all! We are talking about legal way of getting your money back after you finished the game. How can you even compare?
Crazy DRM doesn't save from pirates, everybody knows that, it only inconveniences your legit users. Nor legal users will pirate the game because it has sick DRM. While letting people to get refund on any game, even one you finished, no questions asked is tempting huge amount of people to do just that.
Feature is only then fantastic, when it doesn't really hurt anybody, while this we got, can hurt devs of short games, badly. Although Valve still can tweak rules and they probably will.
We'll see soon enough am I overreacting or being realistic. I mean after sale ends, sale isn't normal time for any prognosis or normal behaviour.

If someone is refunding after they beat the game, they are obviously abusing the system.
Valve will deal with abusers and the situation will normalize.

Whomever wins Luminosity better play it or I'm coming for you. It's actually really good.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Luminosity -- MB-C4B2B2F2C37B5584 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 1 entrants total.
Glorkian Warrior: The Trials Of Glork -- MB-E4AD0AC9476E33E6 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.

t1433771385z1.png

Mivey

On the flip side, this is discouraging many experimental game makers from wanting to try new things. I think there's a lot of panic about it that will settle as Valve works out the kinks, which will hopefully happen sooner rather than later.
If they are mainly interested in artistic experimentation, something like a Patreon might work better. Entertainment products are mainly seen as that, products to be consumed. As such they are expected to work, whatever that means to you is depending on your taste and expectations.

BigAT

Has Darkest Dungeon been getting many updates? I thought that game looked great, but I want to wait until it gets out of early access. Feels like I haven't heard much about it in quite a while though.

Chariot

Has Darkest Dungeon been getting many updates? I thought that game looked great, but I want to wait until it gets out of early access. Feels like I haven't heard much about it in quite a while though.
I think it goes with bigger updates. I recently added more bosses, heroes and stuff in one swoop.

Purkake4

Banned
This might be true, but relying on people being stuck with your game after purchase no matter what is not exactly an inspiring or sustainable business model. The good games will rise to the top.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The FINAL FANTASY XV - Tech Demo Vol #2 youtube video makes me reallly hope they plan to release the game on pc in the future.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If they are mainly interested in artistic experimentation, something like a Patreon might work better. Entertainment products are mainly seen as that, products to be consumed. As such they are expected to work, whatever that means to you is depending on your taste and expectations.

It's moreso the fact that they are a target for abuse online more often than not, because they dare to try something different while still providing an interactive entertainment experience. With the current setup, things are ripe for abuse and can cause pretty serious financial harm to smaller firms or one-person-army projects who want to make something they want to see made. I have no doubt this will get fixed in time, but the system should be perfectly accommodating to these developers as well as to consumers.

We're at a point now where there's so much legitimate information floating around about a game pre and post release that there's very little getting in the way of making an informed purchasing decision other than the buyer themselves. This system works great to make sure that people can get their money back in the event of a truly catastrophic, malfunctioning ripoff game making its way through Greenlight and has been long since needed. And I feel that's where a majority of the action this service sees should and eventually will be.

This might be true, but relying on people being stuck with your game after purchase no matter what is not exactly an inspiring or sustainable business model. The good games will rise to the top.

"Good" is a subjective thing, based on person to person. I'm not comfortable with lots of experimental games being left to rot off and the developers having wasted thousands of man hours because it didn't adhere to a specific standard.

Sarcasm

They just had a big one. Two new classes and a dungeon I think. Plus alternate colors.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Luminosity -- MB-05A761E1D2BF98F2 - Taken by Mixed2k

Sarcasm

Would this be a bad idea? Since steam changed how traveling/living abroad works. I got put in the country I am currently am, which locks me out of my American paypal.

If my sister logs in under my account and buys something with my paypal. Would that be okay?

Any guesses are acceptable. I mean I have had a ticket for 6+ days and they did change how the region thing works.

Purkake4

Banned
"Good" is a subjective thing, based on person to person. I'm not comfortable with lots of experimental games being left to rot off and the developers having wasted thousands of man hours because it didn't adhere to a specific standard.
Why would people be buying these experimental games in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom