• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nice. How come you opted for having languages as DLC and not in the game? Just curious.

File size, to make a different language in RPG Maker requires a different RTP for some character-specific cases and filenames, so I'd have to repack the RTP for each language, which would make it so the game would be 3x the file size to have all three languages in for everyone, and would require different executable. I have it set if you have DLC downloaded a launcher will pop up asking you what language you want to play in.

Care to share your list? I'm going to start W2 after finishing W1.
So. Finally got around finishing this.
Modding Witcher 2 proved a bit more troublesome than Witcher 1 sadly.
First I'll post the list of mods I am using at the moment. Afterwards some tips regarding dreaded compatibility -_-'

And finally Enhanced Mod Compilation < A lot of modifications, some minor, some major. You can choose between three versions, from least to most changes to game
Now, there are some very widely used mods which are included in this; Grass Color fix, Skip Intro Movies, Circle of Power Bugfix, Potion&Oil duration, Medallion Cooldown, Increased Talent Points per Level and many more.

Sadly, it's exactly because of changing many things that this mod causes a lot of incompatibility with other mods. With the help of RED Tools, DiffChecker and helpful posts at Nexus, I cleared out incompatibility by manually editing setting-files.

If we disregard the texture mod, all mods clock in at about 40MB. Not really big, so I just uploaded my modified and compatible mod files here. You can just download and extract them into the \witcher 2\CookedPC\ and \my documents\witcher 2\UserContent overwrite if needed. There's a readme pointing to locations for the two containing folders.

But you can of course just choose the mods you'd like and in case of incompatibility either choose between mods or edit files.
To do that you need to know which files are causing troubles. In most cases it is following: The file called base_scripts.dzip in \CookedPC. The thing is, that file is basically just a container for many other files and in most cases only one file inside causes trouble.
To unpack base_scripts.dzip you need RED Tools. It is like WinZip. To unpack just drag-and-drop base_scripts.dzip onto Gibbed.RED.Unpack.exe. You will now get a folder named base_scripts in the same folder where base_scripts.dzip is.
Go to \base_scripts\game\player and you'll see a file called player.ws. This file can be opened with Notepad/WordPad and easily edited. With the aforementioned mods, this file mostly causes troubles as mods edit different parts of it. This makes it although possible to have each edit present by virtue of finding the edited parts and copying into one, final player.ws.

Besides base_scripts.dzip there is another file inside of the Enhanced Mod Compilation which needs to be unpacked and edited. It is z_emc_data.dzip. Unpacking it gives you many folders and files which can either be copy-pasted into \CookedPC or edited and packed back into z_emc_data.dzip and copy-pasted into \CookedPC. I personally unpack, edit and copy-paste the many folders into \CookedPC. Easier to modify afterwards when needed.
For base_scripts I pack them again into base_scripts.dzip by drag-and-dropping the base_script-folder onto Gibbed.RED.Pack.exe. Might not be needed but since the file was in .dzip form in the vanilla game I tend to do that.

What I suggest regards copying the innards of both base_scripts and z_emc_data is to copy-paste it all into \CookedPC and skip every file which asks for overwriting. Thus you get left those exact files which need to be edited!
With the mods mentioned above, I had to do this for about 6 files. They were various files containing settings about prices, weights, shops and more.
I had to open both files, copy everything and paste them at DiffChecker. After that scroll and compare differences. And finally copying those into one final file. It can be a hassle but I like having a personally modified game :)

Anyway, here some more tips regards mods.

• In case you don't want to get more talent points per level, you can very easily change that by opening player.ws and finding following line SetTalentPoints( talents + The number behind that describes the value of talent points.
  • There is a visual bug introduced with the Texture Mod upon using a certain sign. Easily solved by deleting the file "yrdentrap.w2ent" in \CookedPC\items\geralt\geralt_signs and the folder "remains_human_01" in \CookedPC\items\work
    Also, delete the folder "mini_games" in \CookedPC\environment_levels. It's a horrid retexture of the dice board.
  • I've read that having the files for the mod Junk Dismantling can cause problems in the Tutorial. Easily solved by just deleting the only two files of it: \items\def_item_misc.xml & \items\def_item_traps.xml
    You can copy-paste them after the tutorial again. Another thing. The tutorial is absolutely not needed. Story-wise as well. You can skip it heartily.
One mod I left out for now is the Full combat Rebalance Mod. One of the most download mods for Witcher 2. It is an executable and changes a whole lot of things in combat. There are things I like about it as the removal of animation upon getting hit and some other things.
But it also removes some really nice stuff like backstabs, parrying and changes to dodging. Thus making it impossible to finish the tutorial. Instead of parrying you get a new sign called active quen which feels abysmal compared to normal parry imo. Not recommended but I felt the notion to mention the most famous gameplay-altering mod.

Hope this helps you and others even if it is a bit too much written babble :)

C-Drive

Ten years ago I bought the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the original Xbox. It had 1-8 plus two Mega Man fighting games (I think they were called The Power Battles?) Now ten years later the collection only contains six games. But oh man, you get "HD Flair" whatever the hell that means, cause the gameplay clips they showed didn't really show any of that off. Buuuut it's on Steam now, so I guess I can't complain TOO much.

Seriously. Why can't they include 7, 8, and the two fighters, then just slam the Game Boy versions in to at least "outdo" Anniversary Collection at this point?

EDIT: And Rockman & Bass.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
SELF
PQWWsiT.gif

DEFENSEPUBLISHING

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I wish I could idle for gwent cards.

I need a monster deck.

abracadaver

What the fuck is this in the LEGO Jurassic World description:

Play with family and friends with easy access drop-in, drop-out gameplay option. (Available on console only.)

Is there no coop in the PC version?????

zkylon

zkylewd
what's the eta on confirmations of refunds? I submitted one on June 2, haven't received a confirmation email yet. The page just says in process.
in my experience it was

an hour for the "request received" email
a day for the "refund accepted" email
4-5 days for the money (no email)

Phawx

TyranoBuilder is some pretty neat tech. You can watch me create the world's worst (best?) VN here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9vRwLB_eEk

I apologize that it is offcenter. It wasn't offcenter in the preview pane while recording and there was no way I could record again as I had a lot of laughs making the original. Just felt like it would have way different mojo.

Quick Impressions of TyranoBuilder: I'd say if you were honestly interested in making a VN, TyranoBuilder would be a huge help in making that happen. Literally the entire engine takes all of ten minutes to become familiar with the basics and thirty minutes before feeling comfortable with the software itself. There are a few quirks with how things enter/exit the view-field but what's nice is that you can make very quick changes and literally right-click on a thread previous to your changes to quickly ascertain what is going on / fixes you made actually worked.

Also the syntax necessary to get 80% of what you need done is dirt-simple to do. There are a few things you can do to work outside of what TyranoBuilder allows but those are some advanced techniques.

One quirk that took a little bit for me to figure out was that you need to save your game prior to compiling. I didn't think it would be necessary as I thought saving was more for archival purposes. The first time I compiled to a Windows Build the game was all messed up, but when I ran the preview everything would work fine. So just be mindful of that.

Also I wish that compiling to Android was easier. Right now it exports to files that you can then import to Eclipse with ADT. At the very least I'd rather having something to build form Android Studio. Even better than that would be to build an APK directly or setting up the environment from within TyranoBuilder from which you could have a few flags to set things properly to distribute on the Play store easily.

TyranoBuilder essentially makes it that the part you are going to be spending most of your time on will be asset creation and story creation. If you had a passing fancy at creating a VN, I don't think you'll find any software that makes it any easier to just get to the creative part of it.

Edit: Also if anyone cares, the worst VN featuring dinosaurs can be made available if anyone wants it. Just let me know and I'll upload the Windows build somewhere.

donny2112

Looking forward to and not looking forward to the Summer Sale. Steam sales are great/awesome/wonderful when you first start getting back into PC gaming, but then the next sale is mostly all the same stuff you got on the last one. You still comb every bit of it looking for new stuff to get, though!

Grief.exe

doesnt everyone say this game sucks? maybe they'll improve it in the remake

It's a remaster of a remake, and they likely won't fix the issues people have with the game.

Crossing fingers for 16:9.

They could do it by displaying more horizontal area than was originally intended. There may be some unforeseen problems with this solution.

TyranoBuilder is some pretty neat tech. You can watch me create the world's worst (best?) VN here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9vRwLB_eEk

I apologize that it is offcenter. It wasn't offcenter in the preview pane while recording and there was no way I could record again as I had a lot of laughs making the original. Just felt like it would have way different mojo.

Quick Impressions of TyranoBuilder: I'd say if you were honestly interested in making a VN, TyranoBuilder would be a huge help in making that happen. Literally the entire engine takes all of ten minutes to become familiar with the basics and thirty minutes before feeling comfortable with the software itself. There are a few quirks with how things enter/exit the view-field but what's nice is that you can make very quick changes and literally right-click on a thread previous to your changes to quickly ascertain what is going on / fixes you made actually worked.

Also the syntax necessary to get 80% of what you need done is dirt-simple to do. There are a few things you can do to work outside of what TyranoBuilder allows but those are some advanced techniques.

One quirk that took a little bit for me to figure out was that you need to save your game prior to compiling. I didn't think it would be necessary as I thought saving was more for archival purposes. The first time I compiled to a Windows Build the game was all messed up, but when I ran the preview everything would work fine. So just be mindful of that.

Also I wish that compiling to Android was easier. Right now it exports to files that you can then import to Eclipse with ADT. At the very least I'd rather having something to build form Android Studio. Even better than that would be to build an APK directly or setting up the environment from within TyranoBuilder from which you could have a few flags to set things properly to distribute on the Play store easily.

TyranoBuilder essentially makes it that the part you are going to be spending most of your time on will be asset creation and story creation. If you had a passing fancy at creating a VN, I don't think you'll find any software that makes it any easier to just get to the creative part of it.

Edit: Also if anyone cares, the worst VN featuring dinosaurs can be made available if anyone wants it. Just let me know and I'll upload the Windows build somewhere.

Jawmuncher probably wants it :)

To be honest, when I read TyranoBuilder I thought that it was a tool for building T-Rex related stuff.

GaussTek

The Mega Man port is being handled by Digital Eclipse and Other Ocean.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/ret...man-legacy-and-the-mega-man-legacy-collection

Backbone.

According to the "Head of Restoration for @DigitalEclipse", they are striving "for complete accuracy". So, hopefully they'll be good ports at least.

We felt it was important to dedicate staff to making sure the games were being treated right, we're striving for complete accuracy here.

Short version: Re-releases of classic games treated with respect, stuffed with extras, and easily portable to new platforms.

The idea is we put the porting engine-side, so keeping old games in print is a lot easier than it used to be.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Mega Man games will be in 16:9. I think. They apparently are completely redone in a new engine, sort of like how the SEGA-done Sonic CD 'port' and ioS Sonic 1 'port' were, remade completely from the ground up, to imitate the way the games worked, but also HD-ify them and preserve for the future.

They also apparently have a new 'remix challenge' mode of all six games that's supposed to make all the games harder, video replays and leaderboards and such, I feel since they keep on saying, "With an HD touch", there may be some option.

Grief.exe

The Mega Man games will be in 16:9. I think. They apparently are completely redone in a new engine, sort of like how the SEGA-done Sonic CD 'port' and ioS Sonic 1 'port' were, remade completely from the ground up, to imitate the way the games worked, but also HD-ify them and preserve for the future.

They also apparently have a new 'remix challenge' mode of all six games that's supposed to make all the games harder, video replays and leaderboards and such, I feel since they keep on saying, "With an HD touch", there may be some option.

That's really interesting.

Source?

Tizoc

Great news. They should have included MM7-10 as well to make it complete. If it's only 8bit games 9-10 should have been there.

Now bring the Mega Man X collection, Capcom

Oi baby steps.
Come on people, just cuz Valve can't count to 3 doesn't mean other companies can't count higher!

Jawmuncher

Grief.exe

It's just a remaster, Zero isn't a remake of anything.

That's right. Capcom developed a new game using Remake's engine.

If they do end up remaking Resident Evil 2, I hope they go full 3D assets this time, rather than pre-rendered. That way, the game can more easily scale into the future.

I'll definitely get the Mega Man Legacy Collection, but what I really want is an X Collection. MMX is one of my favorite games of all time.

Capcom spent money developing a new engine specifically for 2D ports, I can't imagine stopping at the first 6 games in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom