• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
just refunded prison architect too (i'm part of the problem). weird that the refund got through, it's a little more than 14 days

i didn't hate what i played of it but it didn't run well on my videocardless computer and i figured i could get something that does for that money

i think i'll def pick it up later when i can run it properly, i like the genre and it looked like a more than capable game

i'm legit upset over this right now

fuck this shit

cool attitude

iZombie is terribly dull.
you're the worst

That's given. It's not like refunds are free for Valve. (Unless you refund to Steam Wallet).

i think for valve there must be some cost-benefit thing for not having to deal with a lot support crap if ppl can just return the items they bought

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
You guys seem to take the stats from devs about refunds a bit too serious when the amount of refund requests has in no way had time to stabilize.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
just refunded prison architect too (i'm part of the problem). weird that the refund got through, it's a little more than 14 days

That seems to be a soft limit for the time being, with refunds being processed for anything up to 6 months old at the moment. They might clamp down on the 14 day thing after everyone's got some old stuff out of their account they no longer want, since they didn't have the option to do so as easily before.

Ruruja

The USB receiver image is not a 1:1 scale. It's not that big guys.

Especially compared to my wired adapter thingy for the 360.

Xbox_360_Wireless_Receiver.png

This is also not a 1:1 scale image.

SSPssp

I really hope they fix this steamcommunity problem before the sale. I need to sell cards! It still keeps going up and down.

baterism

I wish that Steam had a program that let you sell your games to other people, like if they fit in the 14 days/2 hours policy.

Umm, but why? If it under 14 days/2hours, just refund it, get the money, go to store, buy as gift, then gift it to the said person, then ask him for cash or paypal. Or just refund it, then hold the money.
If you sell it lower than your buying price, you lost. If you sell higher, the buyer lost (why would he do it anyway?). The only win is if you buy at 75% off, the sale end, then you sell it at like 30% off. But I'm not sure Valve or the pub would be happy with that.

zkylon

zkylewd
i really wonder where mca is gonna go

he sounds like a guy that would like running his own thing and would be awesome if he just founded another inxile or whatever, but it gives me a similar feeling to ken levine

while i bet these guys can do marvels with low budgets and shit, the things they achieve when handed good amounts of money is so great that i just don't want them to be indie

chronomac

a used digital game is the same thing as a digital game, what would Steam or the publishers gain from this

In some cases it would stop a refund, so Steam and the publisher wouldn't have to pay back anything. They would just see the game move from one owner to another.

Granted, you could argue that the user buying from another would probably just buy from Steam anyway, but if you could get it at a discount from someone you might not.

Grief.exe

$50 Steam cards - 20% off at Frys today

Bring all your friends and buy gallons of Steam cards for free $$$.

Edit: You can also price match this at best buy, which can sometimes help you get around the "one per purchase" thing.

Would have saved $5 over the eBay deal, assuming you could buy two.

Will Best Buy price-match if I don't have a Fry's nearby? I'm guessing not.

Seems like that is the case.

People ready to pick up an Xbone controller and wireless dongle for $80.00.

Steam controller at $50, too expensive.

But it's new and different and I'm confused...I hate it.

xezuru

Games I'm lookin' out for on Steam Sale:

Grim Fandango: would be First Playthrough, hows port?
D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die: No idea how many episodes are out still, or how the port changed things, but SWERY...
Crypt of the Necrodancer: Feels like a straightforward safe/fun buy if I have some spare moolah
Incognita: Dunno about this one, the only Strategy game I've enjoyed in years has been Shadowrun: Dragonfall, unless the story is insane I tend to not give a shit about most of them unless they have like insane compound move/class mechanics.
Black Mesa: What changed from Mod version? Xen still isn't in so shrug.

DMC4SE/Shadowrun Hong Kong: won't be even out on time for significant sale, right?

Any other bombshells to look out for for the sales, I only own around 180 games so most things more off the path than Transistor or more off the path than KR0 would probably definitely not be owned yet.

Toki767

I wish I lived near a Fry's. They always have 20% off virtual currency deals.

I think I only really want Ori this sale. But only if it's half off or more. Not sure that'll be happening.

zkylon

zkylewd
big argie dev is doing a master of orion reboot/remake thing

i know some ppl therbut can't really say how good the actual game will be since most ppl i know are artists/programmers.

first big name project for argieland outside of like licensed things, it's pretty cool news

You mean one of the worst, most awkward fighting scenes ever?
well but then there's that other fighting scene at the end with special effects that look almost as good as kung fury's!!!

so

fucking

bad

ExoSoul

Banned
well but then there's that other fighting scene at the end with special effects that look almost as good as kung fury's!!!

so

fucking

bad

most if not all in that episode were cringe worthy but never would a experienced fighter go "oh he's rolling towards me? better run at him and expose my front"

I mean after the Dog vs Brienne you'd think they'd actually maintain a certain level...

So asking refunds for things you don't like or you bought two months ago is not exploiting? If a game doesn't work because it's bad, you are entitled to ask a refund. If you don't like a game, or you bought it yesterday and today the game has been bundled, you are not entitled to ask a refund.

Valve literally stated outright that refunding a game because it just went on sale at a lower price isn't considered exploiting the system. And yet you're still hung up on that?

Backlogger

I really haven't been tempted by any of the GOG sales oddly enough. I think it is because I am getting close to owning all the games I want from GOG, which is a finite list. I passed on the LucasArts games because the Star Wars games I wanted weren't discounted at all and the others I wanted were only discounted 33%. Thanks Disney.

I might pick up Decent 1-2 though...

So asking refunds for things you don't like or you bought two months ago is not exploiting? If a game doesn't work because it's bad, you are entitled to ask a refund. If you don't like a game, or you bought it yesterday and today the game has been bundled, you are not entitled to ask a refund.
It's not exploitation if Valve allows it.

Hektor

You are entitled to ask. You are not entitled to receive it, slight difference. And if Steam allows you to get a refund for a game you didnt liked, then you're not abusing the system, you're using it the way you're supposed to.

Khronico

What yea get? I think my only purchase will be syndicate wars lol

Doorkickers
Shadow Warrior
Jagged Alliance 2
Lords of Midnight + Doomdarks Revenge
Sword of the Samurai
Darklands
Master of Magic
Dead State

Most of em were super cheap but still, it adds up.

Speaking of which: If you don't have the Quest for Glory games, get on that, son.

Woah these actually look like really cool games. I'm not a huge fan of adventure games but the RPG elements look neat.

zkylon

zkylewd
This is why we can't have good things. Refunds are very good if used properly, but much soon than later Valve will take measures and we'll have no refunds at all or something like 15 minutes refunds. Because yeah, people are exploiting the system, this is a fact, Valve took a while but finally offered a very usefull thing and now people are asking refunds for nothing.
there's no evidence of people using the system in any way other than the one that's intended or that reducing the system to 15 minutes will be necessary

So asking refunds for things you don't like or you bought two months ago is not exploiting?
this is either a bug in which case it'll be fixed or intended functionality in which case it's not abuse

If a game doesn't work because it's bad, you are entitled to ask a refund. If you don't like a game, or you bought it yesterday and today the game has been bundled, you are not entitled to ask a refund.
this is untrue as the rules of the refund system clearly state you can refund games for any reason you want. i forget if they gave out examples but i'm pretty sure they talked about a game being on sale the next day or not liking the game being more than valid reasons

most if not all in that episode were cringe worthy but never would a experienced fighter go "oh he's rolling towards me? better run at him and expose my front"

I mean after the Dog vs Brienne you'd think they'd actually maintain a certain level...
yup, it's pretty terrible

and episodes are having a lot more carnage and battle lately which makes this things be even more noticeable

this week's episode i feel like was the worst of the whole season

Phawx

Doorkickers
Shadow Warrior
Jagged Alliance 2
Lords of Midnight + Doomdarks Revenge
Sword of the Samurai
Darklands
Master of Magic
Dead State

Most of em were super cheap but still, it adds up.

Woah these actually look like really cool games. I'm not a huge fan of adventure games but the RPG elements look neat.

I believe I have an extra Steam key for doorkickers. Anyone want it?

Okay let's call it exploitation.
What percentage of Steam users "exploits" the system? What impact does it have on sales and revenue?

What percentage of Steam users buys more games now because of a lower barrier of entry, less risk and more trust in Steam as a platform? What financial impact does this have? Which effect is bigger?

How likely is it that we're seeing flatlining sales graphs (of certain indie games) because people are refunding purchases of 2+ months in a span of a few days, instead of them being spread out over these months and that this will stabilize soon?

Unless you can give me an answer for these questions, nothing is a "fact" about this system.

Backlogger

The only game I would have ever refunded given the option was Thirty Flights of Loving. I heard it was a good game but didn't read the reviews closely and thought it had a cool art style but when I finished it in 10-15 minutes... well yeah. I would have requested a refund on that one.

Pretty much every other game I have purchased (not including bundle fodder) I felt I was making an informed purchase and never felt inclined to return it.

I don't think a few people souring it for a few games shouldn't cause Valve to make any massive changes. Eventually the people that are "gaming" the system will get bored and it will tone down. It may never go away completely for certain games but the onus is on the publisher and developer to make the game compelling enough that a majority of the people who buy it don't feel inclined to return it.

It is not

Bullshit.

If people weren't trying to exploit the system, you wouldn't have a bunch of people refunding shit in here just "because".

If people weren't trying to exploit the system, you could still try to refund anything, but Valve got sick of the number of requests they were reviewing (which in my experience is a review in name only, the employee didn't read a word I wrote) and put a hard "6 month" timeframe on the refunds so now you cannot request refunds if the purchase was more than 6 months ago.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
A world in which you can get a refund because a product you purchased as recently as a day ago went on sale for less money is not a world in which a policy is being exploited. It's a world where Valve is thankfully catching up and matching the expectations the consumer has had for decades.

Anteater

maaan playing witcher 3 at 30fps bums me out, couldn't get that thing to run at 50+ no matter what, damn it all.

I'll get used to it but damn you 9xx gpu owners.

Sarcasm

So I can tell you guys

Steam Customer Service still sucks monkey butt.

9+ days ago I put in a ticket to add my home country (america) to my account. Since I live in Taiwan. I only had the Taiwan option. I had no choice! I couldn't use my paypal!

I waited 9 freaking days. I even gave them my passport early without them asking.

Now I have this

usataiwana2o78.png

I fixed it..myself. ha eat that steam customer service!

Khronico

Speaking of Doorkickers

Doorkickers is really, REALLY good

It's basically Real Time w/Pause SWAT that takes place on the planning screen of Rainbow Six.

Bullshit.

If people weren't trying to exploit the system, you wouldn't have a bunch of people refunding shit in here just "because".

If people weren't trying to exploit the system, you could still try to refund anything, but Valve got sick of the number of requests they were reviewing (which in my experience is a review in name only, the employee didn't read a word I wrote) and put a hard "6 month" timeframe on the refunds so now you cannot request refunds if the purchase was more than 6 months ago.

It's not an exploit if it's intended. You can refund pretty much whatever you want. That's the intention. I don't see how putting a hard 6 month limit changes that.
Exploitation begins when you start being a "serial refunder", which Valve has stated won't be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom