• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba89

So asking refunds for things you don't like or you bought two months ago is not exploiting?

There was no refund system two months ago so as long as people played less than two hours I don't see it as unethical in this beginning phase.

If a game doesn't work because it's bad, you are entitled to ask a refund. If you don't like a game, or you bought it yesterday and today the game has been bundled, you are not entitled to ask a refund.

Yes you are as long as Valve allows it. The refund system is not solely for broken games. Is this such an exotic concept for some people?
When I order something online I can return it for two weeks without stating any reasons and it also just works and it's a good thing for the consumers.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
A world in which you can get a refund because a product you purchased as recently as a day ago went on sale for less money is not a world in which a policy is being exploited. It's a world where Valve is thankfully catching up and matching the expectations a consumer has had for decades.

I fully agree.

Why would we be protesting and thinking that getting basic consumer protection is bad?
I guess I just don't understand a lot of people or how their country does this.
At least here in Sweden I've never had a problem with returning things to shops and they arn't shaming me for doing it.

Vlad

IGS's current $1 deal is btw Grey Cubes (Breakout clone, Steam key): https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

Thanks for the heads-up on this one. It's a neat little game, with each of the levels having its own little gimmick or twist that's kept thing interesting so far.

The only thing that's bothering me is that it's not really that difficult. Thirty levels in, and while there have been a few tricky levels due to the gimmick used (those portals can be a pain), I still haven't really felt the same challenge that comes from something like an Arkanoid. I think a lot of it is because the ball never seems to speed up. There's never that sense of "I've got to clear these last few blocks before things start moving too fast to handle", so it ends up being a little too leisurely. Still, not bad for a buck.

Games I'm lookin' out for on Steam Sale:
Crypt of the Necrodancer: Feels like a straightforward safe/fun buy if I have some spare moolah

Necrodancer is really, really good, as long as you like rhythm games. I've got a few tiny nitpicks with it, but it's definitely worth grabbing at any price.

Ugh this GOG sale has been eating away at my steam sale funds.

Speaking of which, what are the odds of Riddick ever coming back to Steam? I'd heard so many good things about GOG, and have tried to buy Riddick on sale when it was originally $3 and once again today when it went back down, but apparently they don't like money and won't actually take mine. Even better that the support request I sent off has received zero response, so yeah...

Fuck GOG.

9xraa05.png

madjoki

this is untrue as the rules of the refund system clearly state you can refund games for any reason you want. i forget if they gave out examples but i'm pretty sure they talked about a game being on sale the next day or not liking the game being more than valid reasons

Devs bundling game day after sale should be imo very good reason for refund.
It's not like it hasn't been done (Natural Selection?) and is bad behavior from devs. (you may disagree, but just my opinion).

Makes me feel safer to buy non-bundled indie games, which I like to do.

maaan playing witcher 3 at 30fps bums me out, couldn't get that thing to run at 50+ no matter what, damn it all.

Bad performance is reason I dropped Witcher 3 during first quest. 24fps on lowest was too cinematic for me.

There are some games I would buy during this sale if the deal is good enough but the main one I'm hoping has a deal is Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. No idea though what the chances are it actually is included.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Err, oops, accidentally left The Witcher 3 running all night.

$50 Steam cards - 20% off at Frys today

Bring all your friends and buy gallons of Steam cards for free $$$.

Edit: You can also price match this at best buy, which can sometimes help you get around the "one per purchase" thing.

Interesting. But at $50, 10 cards suddenly becomes 20 and there'd probably be some resistance to that.

Edit: Oh, it's one day only. I won't get paid for another six or so hours.

chronomac

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

mirrors-edge-catalyst.jpg

Hello everyone,

Two years ago we revealed that we were making a new Mirror’s Edge™. Last year, we gave you a behind the scenes look into some of the early progress we had made. And though we haven't said much else in all that time, we have been listening. Thank you for your incredible passion and your patience. I'm excited to tell you that it's paid off — by this time next week, you will have finally seen more of the game at E3.

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

So on behalf on the entire team here at DICE, we can’t wait to show you what we have been pouring our heart and soul into. We can’t wait to introduce you to Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst.

Sara Jansson
Senior Producer, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst

madjoki

There are some games I would buy during this sale if the deal is good enough but the main one I'm hoping has a deal is Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. No idea though what the chances are it actually is included.

I'd say Bethesda will avoid discounting Old Blood at all and focus on TNO+TOB bundle, even cheaper than TOB alone.

zkylon

zkylewd
still looking for ppl to hook me up with the steam card thing on ebay or now this frys thing

Bullshit.

If people weren't trying to exploit the system, you wouldn't have a bunch of people refunding shit in here just "because".
i mean, the question is how big a percentage is this

how many ppl:
- know about refund exist
- have refundable games
- are willing to go through the trouble of refunding (which is easy but everything's a barrier of entry)
- have not been locked out of refunds because they were abusing the system

i'm guessing it'll be a tiny tiny number of ppl. even if people are just trying out the system, how long will that last

and like always ppl that repeatedly abuse this system are probably not legit costumers that you're losing, so it's the same as piracy

pirated copy != lost sale

The only game I would have ever refunded given the option was Thirty Flights of Loving. I heard it was a good game but didn't read the reviews closely and thought it had a cool art style but when I finished it in 10-15 minutes... well yeah. I would have requested a refund on that one.

Pretty much every other game I have purchased (not including bundle fodder) I felt I was making an informed purchase and never felt inclined to return it.

I don't think a few people souring it for a few games shouldn't cause Valve to make any massive changes. Eventually the people that are "gaming" the system will get bored and it will tone down. It may never go away completely for certain games but the onus is on the publisher and developer to make the game compelling enough that a majority of the people who buy it don't feel inclined to return it.
that's sad, i loved that game!

wouldn't refund it for the world (i actually think i gave away a bunch of copies back when it released)

JaseC

Basically what I'm saying is: any case within the 14 days/2 hours played period it's ok. Any other case, well, it's not. If a refunds goes on despite the fact it doesn't match the criteria on the official FAQ, it's clearly a bug, maybe because Steam still needs to tune it properly.

The FAQ quite clearly states that Valve will still consider approving refund requests that run afoul of the two primary conditions.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So, without quoting, I'll write down what I think.

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Refunds are for titles bought within 14 days, with 2 hours played.
If people asked for 6 months old games saw their refunds going on, it's clearly a bug.
Yes, if people asked a refunds for games played 10 hours, that's a bug too.

Read the whole thing:

There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

Not a bug. A function of the system. Point invalidated.

cyba89

Basically what I'm saying is: any case within the 14 days/2 hours played period it's ok. Any other case, well, it's not. If a refunds goes on despite the fact it doesn't match the criteria on the official FAQ, it's clearly a bug, maybe because Steam still needs to tune it properly.

It's not a bug. It's just goodwill from Valves site.

The FAQ quite clearly states that Valve will still consider approving refund requests that run afoul of the two primary conditions.

This is what comes up when trying to request a refund for a purchase made a while back...

"This purchase occurred significantly outside the refund window, and cannot be refunded. You can only submit refund requests for purchases made within the last 6 months."

Refunds are cool for customers but I can't imagine them bringing more money to devs. It's a deal where one party is getting more rights.
Sure, one could say folks will now more easily buy games with the thought of being able to refund when not liked, instead of otherwise not buying or waiting till bundle/super-cheap. Can't say I don't think this will hurt smaller games/devs though.
It's very new and I am not sure how things will turn around in time but if there's one thing I know, it's that there are always dbags trying their best to ruin shit for others.
Woah! I could swear there was already a LEGO Avengers game. Or didn't that cover the first movie?
I am so confused. Did I subconsciously travel back in time!?
I'm down for some speedrunners soon
Remember you playing with the coold kids as well.
I suck pretty bad though and haven't played for months. PvP is not my thing sadly.

Deques

Do we have Swedish people? GAME has gone bankrupt, and apparently everything is 50% off, even new consoles.

Paging Groof.
No one is paging me :/
Anyway, for PC games there is nothing worthwhile, since all games in GAME are overpriced and with the 50% off the prices are still overpriced, nothing can beat the prices in online retail stores. Hardwares are soldout except for knockoff peripherals and last I checked they were only 20% off

JaseC

It's not a bug. It's just goodwill from Valves site.

I imagine Valve is being rather generous with such requests for now because virtually everybody using the system previously had no recourse. Eventually, the noose will be tightened a bit and most requests that fall outside of the two primary conditions will be denied, with those that are approved being tied to particularly special cases (e.g. awful ports that don't seem to be getting better, like MKX).

This is what comes up when trying to request a refund for a purchase made a while back...

"This purchase occurred significantly outside the refund window, and cannot be refunded. You can only submit refund requests for purchases made within the last 6 months."

Yeah, I've seen that mentioned a few times now. You could try requesting a refund via support ticket, but if you're told "Stiff biscuits; the purchase was made more than six months ago", then the FAQ could use a bit of clarification.

Benedict

Stranded is such an awful experience I couldn't even be bothered finishing it.
Utter crap, regardless if it's art, an experience or a game.

You're probably thinking of Lego Marvel Super Heroes.
Oh wow. That's it! Thanks. I thought that game had the Avengers movie covered. Was kinda stumped to see all the old things in the new trailer.
Very weird that a licensed game is so late.
Do we have Swedish people? GAME has gone bankrupt, and apparently everything is 50% off, even new consoles.
Pretty awesome discount for hardware but do they even ship outside of Sweden?

A PS4 for 150 for them exclusive-goodness would be sweet..

Turfster

Daily Europa Universalis IV 75% off
Midweek
  • Darksiders Franchise 80% off
  • Might & Magic Franchise up to 75% off

Humble Daily Oceanhorn 40% off

JaseC

I missed that point, honestly. Still, it seems strange Valve grants refunds for six months old titles. I'm pretty sure they still need to tune up the whole thing, and people that will ask refunds too often will have their accounts restricted.

Anyone in the ends can do what they want, but I wouldn't surprise if the whole refunds thing will have a massive "downgrade" because people abused it.

The FAQ also states that abusers will be refused refunds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom