• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wonder what japanese devs learned in the last few years.

This texture looks even worse than some PS2 games...
Totally agree with you. It really looks like a PS3/PS2 game.
But customers don't seem to mind it, so I can understand pubs/devs not pushing visuals.
It's officially my birthday! About 6 hours left for my giveaway in case people missed it. Doesn't seem like Modbot has been auto reposting so I must have messed it up.
Happy actual birthday!
Giveaway #4: Nidhogg & Detour
Pretty cool stuff. Still holding out for that one special game :3
What's the deal with the sale card drops? It says you are supposed to get 3 a day from playing the game, but I've only gotten 3 total between today and yesterday. Do I need to click more or something?
Same. Got three cards the first day and nothing ever since.
They made good money :(
I have a fancy new avatar
Damn that looks sweet! You didn't make that yourself or did you?

Turfster

WTH, WolfTOB.
You ran fine yesterday, but now you complain that my "graphics driver may be outdated" and that I need 350.12 or higher?
I'm running 353.06, you numpty.

The way Witcher 3 treats some of its story (including Yennefer's and Geralt's past relations) is weird. It feels like the game assumes I read the books or something.

Well, it kinda does and it's also a bit hard to avoid.
These characters have a huge backstory and since the games take place after the books they can't ignore that fact but it's not like they can include the books in the games either.
In TW1 they made Geralt lose his memory so he was discovering everything for the first time just like the player.
In TW3 not only has Geralt recovered his memory but the plot has a more direct connection to the events described in the books so I guess it's inevitable that people who haven't read them will feel that way.
Ciri and Yen weren't in the previous games but they are the most important people in Geralt's life so you have these huge characters just suddenly pop up.

Parsnip

The real question is: Why didn't you?

I don't have time to read books! :p Also I don't imagine they've been localized to Finnish, though I suppose I could read the English books, assuming those all exist.

These characters have a huge backstory and since the games take place after the books they can't ignore that fact but it's not like they can include the books in the games either.
In TW1 they made Geralt lose his memory so he was discovering everything for the first time just like the player.
In TW3 not only has Geralt recovered his memory but the plot has a more direct connection to the events described in the books so I guess it's inevitable that people who haven't read them will feel that way.
Ciri and Yen weren't in the previous games but they are the most important people in Geralt's life so you have these huge characters just suddenly pop up.
Yup.
As someone who didn't read the books, all I got was whatever small tidbits they had in W2 about Wild Hunt and Yennefer, and something about a unicorn in the very beginning of W3.
Even after reading the in-game glossary, it's still not a whole lot to go on.

I loved W3 but it felt I was playing Witcher 5 and somehow I had missed Witchers 3 and 4
Perfect.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I loved W3 but it felt I was playing Witcher 5 and somehow I had missed Witchers 3 and 4

I just disagree. Really doubt a lot of those 4 million sales even know what they got lore wise. They saw the high scores and a game to fill the open RPG void. Also I would factor in that triss being the first option while yennefer comes later on plays a big part as well.

Regardless of all that I just don't see how a tad more dialog would have hurt things. They had already put this much work into the game. I think they could have managed some dialogs without it feeling odd.
Wouldn't matter to them anyway.

And to be fair, though the Witcher series deals with romance maturely, it has never been heavy on romance(you could screw around but you know what I mean), Triss in the first two games is a good example. It's not a Bioware game.

Asgaro

I'm gonna add some people from SteamGAF on Steam over the coming half an hour, who's user name I recognize as a frequent poster.
I have about 15 right now but I want to have the most frequent posters into it.

Don't be alarmed:
- I'm not gonna ask you for games or anything.
- I'm not gonna start conversation actually: it's more of a way to know what games live in the SteamGAF community. It's nice to see in the steamcommunity feed all the money SteamGAF throws at games.
- Of course you may chat with me; it's not that I'm opposed to it.

Milamber

Collector's Edition should've come with the books in the first place.

I'm gonna add some people from SteamGAF on Steam over the coming hours, who's user name I recognize as a frequent poster.

Don't be alarmed:
- I'm not gonna start conversation actually: it's more of a way to know what games live in the SteamGAF community. It's nice to see in the steamcommunity feed all the money SteamGAF throws at games.

Which reminds me, a bunch added me but I don't know their GAF name. I'll start chatting them up and asking.

Parsnip

In a weird way I kind of care less about the main plot in Witcher 3 than all the other smaller, self contained stories. Like say, the whole Bloody Baron questline.

Deitus

Same. Got three cards the first day and nothing ever since.

I actually managed to get my 3 cards for today. Still missed a card on the first day though.

I think I got my first card when I first joined at the start of the day. The second card I got by switching to a different game (I found someone on my friends list who was at a similar level to where I was), and a third for starting a new game and completing level 10. If you have time, you might try that to see if you get a card drop.

It's officially my birthday! About 6 hours left for my giveaway in case people missed it. Doesn't seem like Modbot has been auto reposting so I must have messed it up.

Oh, I almost missed this. Thanks Kurt Russell for quoting it. Happy Birthday Toki767!

Hektor

In a weird way I kind of care less about the main plot than all the other smaller, self contained stories. Like say, the whole Bloody Baron questline.

Is it maybe because the game doesnt have a mainplot for the first 40 hours or so? Because thats how i felt.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

iUR9GV2.gif

Shadownet

Banned
I'm gonna add some people from SteamGAF on Steam over the coming hours, who's user name I recognize as a frequent poster.

Don't be alarmed:
*giddy* am I going to get lucky today.

zkylon

zkylewd
dude with the se7en spoilers

cant you see not everyone in the world has watched it

it's like final fantasy 7

you cant just going around saying aeris
dies

rtcn63

You have a point. Although one could argue that the gif doesn't actually spoil the movie, since the movie isn't actually about the XB1. There's no mention of
what's actually in the box.

chronomac

Thought I didn't have this, but I was wrong.

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Quest Run -- MB-9A78526496B6CCE2 - Taken by autoduelist. 1 entrants total.

t1434211526z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom