• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Valve withholds payment to the publisher/developer and won't dish it out in the instance of a refund. It seems that this would be the only way to prevent themselves from getting into a pay-and-chase situation.

And if so, what kind of impact might this have on the current trend of releasing messy, buggy games? Impulse refunds that create a quantifiable ground for customer complaints? Grassroots boycotts that have some teeth to them? This has potential to be huge.

And because I couldn't find a natural way to put one in: ;)

Wok

I have asked for a refund on a music pack for Dota2, bought 4 days ago. Let us see how it goes.

Asgaro

So 14 days and 2 hours is the limit.

A bit sad regarding the 14 days part.

I have a few games that simply crash on my system, even after troubleshooting.
(Crysis 1 & Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory).
Both are under 2 hours of playtime as is expected but I have had them for quite a while now...

edit: Seem you can still try your luck and ask anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if Valve withholds payment to the publisher/developer and won't dish it out in the instance of a refund. It seems that this would be the only way to prevent themselves from getting into a pay-and-chase situation.

And if so, what kind of impact might this have on the current trend of releasing messy, buggy games? Impulse refunds that create a quantifiable ground for customer complaints? Grassroots boycotts that have some teeth to them? This has potential to be huge.

Valve pays out monthly and people have always been able to request refunds on pre-orders, so I don't think the new refund policy required much of a change in terms of payout logistics.

dex3108

As far as i know there is already delay in payments so they can be sure that purchases won't be charged back.

Backlogger

Great news that the refund option now exists. Though I am trying to think of a time where I would have liked a refund on a game. At least now I have the option!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder if I can buy a hidden object game and complete it in less than two hours. :D

Dude

WLQEHWu.png

;)

def sim

I've only asked for refunds twice and both were accepted. The problem was I wasn't sure if they were going to. Good on them for fixing that.

Valve pays out monthly and people have always been able to request refunds on pre-orders, so I don't think the new refund policy required much of a change in terms of payout logistics.

As far as i know there is already delay in payments so they can be sure that purchases won't be charged back.

Ahh. Well, maybe with the refund system getting rid of the stigma of being totally oblique, like most customer interaction with Valve, the potential of organizing mass refunds as activist statements could exist.

We'll see when the next major downgrade scandal crops up. ;)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hmm what about actually DRM-free steam games you could play without the client after installing them...

I think you'd have to refer back to the first sentence of the "Abuse" section of the policy.

But that's actually a good point - because I imagine this policy will discourage developers from releasing games on Steam without CEG.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmm what about actually DRM-free steam games you could play without the client after installing them...

Probably limited to the 14 day 2 hours from purchase time. Which would make sense, Or has a two day(?) purchase refund limit.

I assume this might push people more to trial. They might get games with the expectation to return it and keep it. But I wish they extended this period for Early Access or at least gave a chance out when it's out.
Anyway, somebody should compile a list of games on steam with average completion time less than 2 hours.

Mivey

It appears they're patching in offline gameplay time tracking, now we know why.
You could install it on a laptop, go to offline mode, then completely disconnect the thing from the internet. Then refund the game.

You would invoke the wrath of Gaben though.

jshackles

You could install it on a laptop, go to offline mode, then completely disconnect the thing from the internet. Then refund the game.

You would invoke the wrath of Gaben though.

You're correct. But you could also purchase the game, download it from Steam, copy the files somewhere, download a crack, refund the purchase, then enjoy your cracked game. The point is that either way this still falls under "abusing the system".

Looks like they updated the help page too.
zflajk.png

You're correct. But you could also purchase the game, download it from Steam, copy the files somewhere, download a crack, refund the purchase, then enjoy your cracked game. The point is that either way this still falls under "abusing the system".

Or you could just pirate it and send a mail to GabeN telling him what you did.

Salsa

new game for BTA on the humble Bundle is Gunman Clive

what a fucking joke

guess its alright if you get the wiiU stuff

I regret spending $10 on this right before the sales hope you goofs are happy

Playing around with Steam today and by chance I see I registered a year ago today. Brought a warm little feeling to my heart. 1 year. 75 games. 2 played. 1 beat. Got a helluva backlog to play through.

Knurek

Can't wait for the next Jimquisition, JimFuckingSterlingSon has been harping on Steam's lack of QA for some time, this will help to alleviate the Air Control/Slaughtering Grounds shitlevel devs shitting all over shitty Steam store.

yuraya

I thought Valve would be like the last company to ever do this type of refund system considering how many millions of users they have and thousands of games on steam. Really cool of them to do it. 2 hours is very generous too. 1 hour would have even been great as that is more than enough time to check out graphic settings and performance of a game.

Great stuff from Valve. Beating MS/Sony to the punch as well. I just hope some assholes don't abuse it to the point where Valve has to backtrack and abandon it.

What's the next move from Valve in regards to customer service? I'm sure an actual live support staff is far off down the road but this is a good step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom