• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Seems like you can't refund games in your inventory (I got an extra DLC for Dungeon of the Endless though apparently if I have Endless Legend it'd be free)

DmAc2k6

5VGqjee.gif

Shadownet

Banned
So just to make sure. Since I have my Windows installed on a separate SSD, and all my games and stuff on a regular Hard Drive. I can do a fresh installation of Windows 10 without losing anything right?

Also, does anyone have a guide on how to do a fresh installation?

Of a lonely kingdom.

That he gave away the keys to...

So just to make sure. Since I have my Windows installed on a separate SSD, and all my games and stuff on a regular Hard Drive. I can do a fresh installation of Windows 10 without losing anything right?

Also, does anyone have a guide on how to do a fresh installation?

Use GameSaveManager and backup all your saves somewhere, otherwise saves that are stored on the C:\ drive will not be preserved. Even if your Steam installation is on the secondary HDD.

You'll have to do something, I can't remember what, to get your new install of Steam to recognize the installed games on the secondary drive.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You can get refunds on unused gifts.

giftrefund0lq1o.jpg

What's the process in getting there? I have some extra gifts in my inventory that don't show up (I do have copies of those games activated in library, though).

I see, it's just slow. Still can't get a refund. Oh well.

Backlogger

And Rogue for $32.50 is an absolute insult considering a Uplay key is $12.50 on Amazon right now. I'm not paying a $20 "Steam tax" - this is why I don't play Ubisoft games on PC anymore.

What really chaps me about this too is that its not like we are paying a premium because we aren't using uPlay. We are still forced to use uPlay. I would be willing to pay 30% more on top of whatever the sale price is elsewhere to have it included in my Steam library. Instead I end up waiting 2 years or more to buy Ubi games to buy them at the price I want (even though they get to that price much sooner through other platforms and/or storefronts). I guess they don't care because people like me are in the minority so w/e.

Shadownet

Banned
Use GameSaveManager and backup all your saves somewhere, otherwise saves that are stored on the C:\ drive will not be preserved. Even if your Steam installation is on the secondary HDD.

You'll have to do something, I can't remember what, to get your new install of Steam to recognize the installed games on the secondary drive.
I actually installed Steam on my a my hard drive too not my SSD. Literally the only thing on my SSD is my Windows installation and probably other random stuff. Games, and Programs are on my hard drive.

I actually installed Steam on my a my hard drive too not my SSD. Literally the only thing on my SSD is my Windows installation and probably other random stuff. Games, and Programs are on my hard drive.

Well, programs may need to be reinstalled to work properly... you can probably link to their exes and make shortcuts, but because all registry data created upon install will be gone, installing them fresh would be preferred.

And as I said, there's a mass of games that like to save in "My Documents", so if you want to make sure you have all your saves, especially if Steam cloud isn't supported for all your games, you should get and use GSM.

So if you're going to ignore my answer to your question and install win10 anyway, you should make sure to check out the two above items. :p

Dr Dogg

Call my an old cinical git but congratulating a company for finally pulling their finger out an acknowledging to do something that is part of lot of their customer's statutory rights in various countries isn't something I'm going to go whopping and hollering about.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the process in getting there? I have some extra gifts in my inventory that don't show up (I do have copies of those games activated in library, though).

If you click "A purchase" you'll see a list of your store transactions, as well as received gifts, for the past six months.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Call my an old cinical git but congratulating a company for finally pulling their finger out an acknowledging to do something that is part of lot of their customer's statutory rights in various countries isn't something I'm going to go whopping and hollering about.

You're correct of course. But the fact that they're offering this option worldwide is certainly cause for celebration in those countries whose laws don't protect them like this.

Also now that the initial "wow" has worn off for most of the internet about the refunds announcement, people have resumed being retarded. I've probably seen 100 posts on Reddit and the Steam Community of people saying it's bullshit that they can't refund a game they purchased 6 years ago and played less than 15 minutes of.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If you click "Help with a purchase" you'll see a list of your store transactions, as well as received gifts, for the past six months.

You added/bought that gift to your inventory in 2012 and they let you refund it? I purchased something last year and it tells me, "This purchase is outside of the product return window and can not be refunded."

I wonder if they'll walk back the 2 hour limitation and reduce it to 90 minutes or an hour even. there are plenty of games and DLCs you can knock out in under two hours, it seems like something that's gonna get exploited to death.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You added/bought that gift to your inventory in 2012 and they let you refund it? I purchased something last year and it tells me, "This purchase is outside of the product return window and can not be refunded."

12/09/2012 is the day I added the game to my own library. I bought a gift copy today for the express purpose of making that post.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
September 2012 when I added the game to my own library. I bought a gift copy today for the express purpose of making that post.

Now that's dedication.

MUnited83

For you.
I wonder if they'll walk back the 2 hour limitation and reduce it to 90 minutes or an hour even. there are plenty of games and DLCs you can knock out in under two hours, it seems like something that's gonna get exploited to death.
As I already brought up in the refund thread: why would people do that and abuse the system instead of just pirating?

Haha, I didn't submit the request. ;)

By the way they helped with accidental purchases before so I assume this provides a ruleset for what was a vague "favor" on Steam's part. I already refunded 2 games with that method. But getting refunds to your credit card is good news.

Dr Dogg

You're correct of course. But the fact that they're offering this option worldwide is certainly cause for celebration in those countries whose laws don't protect them like this.

Also now that the initial "wow" has worn off for most of the internet about the refunds announcement, people have resumed being retarded. I've probably seen 100 posts on Reddit and the Steam Community of people saying it's bullshit that they can't refund a game they purchased 6 years ago and played less than 15 minutes of.

Hahaha don't mind me I'm just cranky my internet is down and my Splatoon fun is limited to the single player.

Of course there's always a bunch of people who try to take things too far. I've had it with refunds when I worked in a car accessory shop part time many moons ago that despite having quite a lenient policy as long as the item was returned within 14 days and in a condition fit for resale we would honour a refund. Stuff would come back with no packaging, signs of customer inflicted damage, even stuff bought cheaper else where and tried to be returned to us as we charged more despite them not having proof of purchase.

I guess those people were already making their case over the old support system anyway. You got to have something to complain about on internet.

MUnited83

For you.
some people just really like achievements? and maybe trading cards?
Just seems that it would be a really darn small percentage of people doing that. Wanting to play games for free but putting actual money on the line? Risking their steam account? Makes no sense. Achievements? What use have them when they wont any longer show on your profile? Steam trading cards? Is it worth it to put actual money and your account for 50 cents of steam wallet at best in most cases?

Kaleinc

Banned
Valve probably had a little debate about revenue and the consensus was refunds would push users to make extra purchases which will outweigh refund losses. Considering refund policy can be fine tuned later to further diminish their frequency it's a win/win.

Just seems that it would be a really darn small percentage of people doing that. Wanting to play games for free but putting actual money on the line? Risking their steam account? Makes no sense. Achievements? What use have them when they wont any longer show on your profile? Steam trading cards? Is it worth it to put actual money and your account for 50 cents of steam wallet at best in most cases?

youre underestimating fans of anime waifu cards.

I get what your saying, abusing the system is just going to end poorly. But 2 hours seems like a tad bit too much time for people to not figure out a way to work the system to some extent.

I dunno, I would normally say that valve is a bunch of smart folks who know better than i do but we all saw how they botched the paid mods rollout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom