• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Giant Bomb got some quotes from some devs re: refunds

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/valve-announces-steam-refund-program/1100-5208/

I'm also wondering how refunds will work for short, narrative driven games like Three Fourths Home or Sunset, which can be completed in just a couple of hours of play. What happens if I beat one of these games, then file for a refund? Thankfully, I was able to get the opinions of a few developers on this new policy. Will O'Neill, whose own game, Actual Sunlight, can be beaten in about 90 minutes, told me that he is "confident that this initial policy will be refined to meet the needs of games that can clearly demonstrate a full play-through of less than two hours."

While I was concerned with short, narrative games, developer Rusty Moyher was thinking about even shorter, non-narrative ones. "It seems to me that two hours might be too generous? How many games of Super Hexagon could play in an hour?" He makes a good point, which should remind us that it's incredibly hard to craft a "one size fits all" policy for anything.

Thankfully, Moyher also told me that Valve is asking developers for feedback on refunds. Hopefully, with feedback from devs, they'll be able to sort out a policy that works for games (and game makers) of different sizes.

so can we get refunds for games we bought like 2 years ago that never worked? Alice and first metro would never boot for me so never got to play. had redownloaded and tried all the fixes I could and nothing

Mivey

who in their right fucking mind would refund super hexagon jesus CHRIST
Who could ever fully playthrough that in 2 hours. Must be some sort of wizard that can slow down time.
(I don't mean speedrunning, I mean with only ever having played 2 hours)

There's one big flaw I can see from this. Like a BIG flaw.

Doesn't this mean you could just buy a game, idle for cards from said game, and then get a refund? And just gain net profit from it? Or do cards and card transactions get refunded too if you refund the game?

Quick, write Gaben about it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Doesn't this mean you could just buy a game, idle for cards from said game, and then get a refund? And just gain net profit from it? Or do cards and card transactions get refunded too if you refund the game?

zkylon

zkylewd

this i'm trying to see with phantom breaker since i sold its cards

tho tbh i don't think it's a BIG FLAW considering it's like 20c of MAD NET PROFIT that i made at best

and if i like refund like 10 games in a row for the CRAZY MONIES of 2 whole dollars then valve's system probably places me in low priority for refunds and disregards my next requests for a while

Wok

Maybe cards will only drop after 2 hours from now on.

Dusk Golem

this i'm trying to see with phantom breaker since i sold its cards

tho tbh i don't think it's a BIG FLAW considering it's like 20c of MAD NET PROFIT at best that i made

But there's literally over a 1000 games with cards, and some are worth a more. Like just a couple days ago I got over a $2 from Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2, as the cards were/are going for $0.50-60 each, and it has four card drops, and the cards were selling quickly.

Maybe cards will only drop after 2 hours from now on.

That would be kind of wise but kind of annoying, but certainly a thought. You can't sell cards until a week later, but since this policy goes on for 2 weeks...

madjoki

I suppose you will get added to no-refunds list sooner or later.

Afaik, it was already abused with self-service refunds on eg. Colin McRae rally thought.

zkylon

zkylewd
But there's literally over a 1000 games with cards, and some are worth a LOT. Like just a couple days ago I got over a $2 from Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2, as the cards were/are going for $0.50-60 each, and it has four card drops, and were selling quickly.
50c is not a lot considering i think in two hours you can at max idle for 3 cards and most of the ppl don't bother selling cards, i bet even less ppl would bother rushing to sell them to get refunds for like pennies

and valve has the means to tell if you're exploiting the system so they can pretty easily lock you out from refunds if you are

if valve wanted to it could easily be solved by making cards unsellable until you played the game for 2 hours

it's not a big deal

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But there's literally over a 1000 games with cards, and some are worth a more. Like just a couple days ago I got over a $2 from Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2, as the cards were/are going for $0.50-60 each, and it has four card drops, and the cards were selling quickly.

But you won't be able to get a refund for a 1,000 games, or probably even more than 10 within a certain span of time.

Seriously, worst case scenario is that someone could make probably 5 bucks out of such a scam and then never be given another refund.

Ozium

But you won't be able to get a refund for a 1,000 games, or probably even more than 10 within a certain span of time.

Seriously, worst case scenario is that someone could make probably 5 bucks out of such a scam and then never be given another refund.

you should buy serious same [freudian slip] repeatedly and just keep asking for a refund

Locust

Wonder how long it takes for say, Rockstar to revoke the GTA V social club key if you were to refund that.

I own the game, but there's bound to be people who are going to try that.

Dusk Golem

Wonder how long it takes for say, Rockstar to revoke the GTA V social club key if you were to refund that.

I own the game, but there's bound to be people who are going to try that.

I'm guessing games with outside keys are not refundable through this similar to how they are not included in Steam Family Sharing.

Ozium

just get people to try and refund Godus

Molyneux-and-22Cans-Release-a-Video-Update-on-the-State-of-Godus-472757-2.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Can't wait for the whiny Reddit post from some guy complaining that Valve won't honor is legitimate, totally reasonable refund request FOR NO REASON.

Coldsun

Banned
Those who abuse the refund policy will be prevented from requesting additional refunds indefinitely.

Sure you may get 20c for idling a game and then refunding it but if it becomes a habbit, enjoy sitting on a $60 broken game later in the future.

AHA-Lambda

holy shit, Magicka 2's last boss can fuck right off, I can't remember such a badly designed boss in recent memory. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea??!

Can't wait for the whiny Reddit post from some guy complaining that Valve won't honor is legitimate, totally reasonable refund request FOR NO REASON.

After even explaining that he just wanted to kinda scam Valve.

"Hey. I bought 20 games to test out the refund policy, but Valve didnt refund any of these. I lost 400$! Fuck Valve!"

ExoSoul

Banned
So I finally got to playing Cave Story+ and when I returned to the village after
the Waterway
there was nothing there for me, since I had already traded Pulse Star I decided to go for the bad ending and start a fresh save.

But before I get too far in again I'd like to ask: was it something I did that caused the village to be deserted and kinda pushed me into the bad ending or did I overlook something?
Because the cheevo guide (which is kinda bare bones) mentions areas and sections of the game I hadn't even reached...

So yeah, halp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom