• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I also don't understand that chart as that just means lack of sales and not much to do with refunds? Unless refunds are getting processed that quickly and everyone is just abusing it as a a glorified demo?

But as mentioned above the bigger hit will be that knowledge of a Steam sale being just around the corner :D

i just find it kind of pathetic for a developer to complain that ppl are returning their games

i mean, what else could that mean other than ppl don't like your games?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It doesn't work even in Windows 8 unless you manually update GFWL from website. Just in case you didn't do that. (Same goes for all GFWL games)

Oh it's that easy, thanks.

Couldn't really find anything on the pcgamingwiki about it being on win 10 also :)

Maniac

Banned
No, Bethesda thinks us a tad dumb-dumb.

Good point.

Can anyone help me here? I'm... Having the weirdest issue. Whenever I download anything off Steam as of... I don't know, a few days or a week, perhaps, my entire computer starts to lag like a mofo, and starts to freeze up. Turns out that *ONE* of my cores (and one thread) is entirely maxed out until I stop the download.

Anyone ever experienced this issue before? Googling it I found a fat load of nothing. My CPU is a 3770k and sure as shit shouldn't have a problem... Running... Steam...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Good point.

Can anyone help me here? I'm... Having the weirdest issue. Whenever I download anything off Steam as of... I don't know, a few days or a week, perhaps, my entire computer starts to lag like a mofo, and starts to freeze up. Turns out that *ONE* of my cores (and one thread) is entirely maxed out until I stop the download.

Anyone ever experienced this issue before? Googling it I found a fat load of nothing. My CPU is a 3770k and sure as shit shouldn't have a problem... Running... Steam...

How's your hard drive activity looking? Some downloads seem to saturate my hard drive's available bandwidth and starts to choke my system.

MaxiLive

i just find it kind of pathetic for a developer to complain that ppl are returning their games

Agreed! Must be disheartening for the developer though knowing that there has been X amounts of hours playtime but yet no profit from it.

I just hope the refund system isn't getting abused where a majority of gamers (if that chart actually reflects Steam refund sales which I don't think it does!) are getting 1-2 hours gametime out of a game and claiming the refund. As it won't take very long for Valve to change their refund policy and cause legitimate refunds to be hurt.

Is it time for the monthly F3 vs NV discussion again? FUCK THE F3 HATERS. That's all.

highfive, FUCK THE F3 HATERS!

I enjoyed F3 on 360, in fact I wanted to play the DLC on PC, but then saw my backlog and decided to just probably play NV which I haven't played yet, but looking at howlongtobeat probably not doing NV either :|

Arthea

You really need to get some sleep, as you make no sense.
Like for example people played your game and now are getting their money back because they can, perhaps? Or I can name you another ten or so reasons that have nothing to do with liking or not liking.
And nobody offers refunds for liking or not liking things, if you bought it, it means you liked it enough to buy. You can return things if they are falsely advertised, don't work as they should, are broken, there are some other reasons, but these don't apply to games.
If you go to liking - not liking, you are asking for massive problems and you stop doing refunds very soon after you went there.
Granted, we have laws that lets you return almost anything soon after you bought it, if you haven't used it. But we are talking about returning games people already played here, for two hours no less, that is enough to be done with a game in many cases.
It'll backfire pretty soon, mark my word. No dev or publisher will be happy about this.

If for whatever reason you were interested in Wander which releases today I suggest waiting for reviews and checking out videos like this. Kinda broken.

Is it time for the monthly F3 vs NV discussion again? FUCK THE F3 HATERS. That's all.

but I'll be damned if it isn't looking nice, Wander I mean. Still it's a MMO, not sure if want.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Like for example people played your game and now are getting their money back because they can, perhaps? Or I can name you another ten or so reasons that have nothing to do with liking or not liking.
And nobody offers refunds for liking or not liking things, if you bought it, it means you liked it enough to buy. You can return things if they are falsely advertised, don't work as they should, are broken, there are some other reasons, but these don't apply to games.
If you go to liking - not liking, you are asking for massive problems and you stop doing refunds very soon after you went there.
Granted, we have laws that lets you return almost anything soon after you bought it, if you haven't used it. But we are talking about returning games people already played here, for two hours no less, that is enough to be done with a game in many cases.
It'll backfire pretty soon, mark my word. No dev or publisher will be happy about this.

Well good luck.

Refunds is a response to the EU courts saying that steam need to follow EU regulations when it comes to consumer protection laws.

Not a Fallout 3 hater, I've played through it 3 times, 2 of them vanilla and still love it like no other game.
But I do see a lot of the obvious problems the game have and still has even after modding it.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-C6EF6186328675C2 - Taken by Belgarion
Tompi Jones -- MB-FD0AD302B30B7320 - Taken by MaxiLive

Take both if you want them

Arthea

Well good luck.

Refunds is a response to the EU courts saying that steam need to follow EU regulations when it comes to consumer protection laws.

I know that, but our courts don't say you can return anything now under any conditions, are they?

Chariot

but I'll be damned if it isn't looking nice, Wander I mean. Still it's a MMO, not sure if want.
This may be true in the United States of America, but in the Europaen Union we have laws that protects customers.

Dr Dogg

Right let's just stop a minute before throwing toys out of prams because of files sizes (and as of yet technically unconfirmed file sizes) and think logically. Is FF Type-0 on PS4/XO dual audio or more? Does it have in engine or prerendered cutscenes? How much audio are we talking? Those a likely to be your culprits for larger sizes.

Yikes! That sounds waaaay to high. Origin only hits one core at 20% load for me and that's a resource hog and Steam has never gone above 10% system utilisation. Have a gander at CPU usage under Task Manager to see if it really is Steam that's the issue. If it is go download Process Explorer (don't have a link sadly but it's a Microsoft application not included with Windows) and then you can look at individual process threads to see what's eating up CPU cycles.

derExperte

Even in the videos on the Steam page you can see baaad pop-ins in the background. So it looks good as long as you don't move. To be fair at least they're not offering preorders with some discount to lure people in.

zkylon

zkylewd
Agreed! Must be disheartening for the developer though knowing that there has been X amounts of hours playtime but yet no profit from it.

I just hope the refund system isn't getting abused where a majority of gamers (if that chart actually reflects Steam refund sales which I don't think it does!) are getting 1-2 hours gametime out of a game and claiming the refund. As it won't take very long for Valve to change their refund policy and cause legitimate refunds to be hurt.

i think adding refunds like this is great as it gives every game a sort of demo for you to safely try it out and return if you don't like it

it's definitely a way for valve to push steam more towards a service that actually helps people find good games rather than +1s (while not hurting the saoirses that only want +1s), and to me that's very encouraging

it also seems like it was uncharacteristically pretty well thought out, with ways to prevent ppl from exploiting it and with a pretty lax set of rules. like, i sold the cards from phantom breaker back when refunds weren't in place, but still could refund it. i wouldn't mind if it refunded the card money too, but they didn't because it's not really a big deal and locking yourself out of refunds is not worth it for like a few cents

i'm surprised some developers are panicking about this, this does nothing but help good developers and players and make steam a more reputable store

Hey I'm allowed to love trash-tier games!
i mean, sure

it just makes me happy to hear u say its trash tier and not get mad at me bitterly taking jabs at it

hey thanks for taking my personal struggles and turning them on me

that's cool

name them pls

thankfully it seems like with steam refunds this will no longer be the case

so if you don't like something and you didn't play enough that it's obvious that you're lying, then you can ask your money back

i don't even know what this means

Granted, we have laws that lets you return almost anything soon after you bought it, if you haven't used it.
uhh if i buy a shirt and i don't like them i can return them even if i wore it once or twice

games are not underwear

But we are talking about returning games people already played here, for two hours no less, that is enough to be done with a game in many cases.
there are systems to lock you out of refunds if you do this consistently. you may get to play dear esther, gone home and a few rounds of counterstrke but eventually you won't be able to do this anymore

and i duno, i have tons of short games i wouldn't return, and even games i didn't like only because i feel like they're worth supporting.

edit: you're suggesting a huge number of ppl will abuse the whole "return short games" thing which to me is delusional. most ppl won't even know they can return things, let alone consider abusing it consistently, or at least as many times as the system lets them.

maybe

sadly for good things to happen shitty people that only care about themselves sometimes need not to be happy

Or it may lead to less broken games or ones that contain less than 2 hours of interesting content.
The horror

People should absolutely be able to return things they don't like if there is no way of testing them beforehand

PARANO1A

How much is the AC:Unity / Rogue double pack in USD in America? It's $58.45 USD from Australia... really shit. Would really like this, but not a hope at that price.

Arthea

This may be true in the United States of America, but in the Europaen Union we have laws that protects customers.

I can't say I remember said laws word by word, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.
Any lawyers here?

Or it may lead to less broken games or ones that contain less than 2 hours of interesting content.
The horror

People should absolutely be able to return things they don't like if there is no way of testing them beforehand

broken games of course can be returned, I said as much, that's not what we are talking about.
In my eyes, if you bought a game and played for 2 hours, you liked it well enough. That's why I think that just returning games for reason I didn't like it, can't end well, it's humans we are talking about, they are unreasonable at least half of their lifetime.

Jawmuncher

How much is the AC:Unity / Rogue double pack in USD in America? It's $58.45 USD from Australia... really shit. Would really like this, but not a hope at that price.

54.99 here, not much cheaper.

----

You can request refunds on Early Acess titles right? I wonder if this system was in part to help agaisn't some of the greenlight fodder and such.

I can't say I remember said laws word by word, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.
Any lawyers here?
I'm not a lawyer, but I know enough about it. You're allowed to return anything within 2 weeks of purchase if it was bought online, since you're not able to test it or look at it like in a store.

For digital content it was recently made possible to circumvent it by including a disclaimer that says you can't get a refund once you "commence the service", which most providers interpret as making the download available. Valve is now changing their stance to be more consumer friendly and more in line with the general use of the law.
broken games of course can be returned, I said as much, that's not what we are talking about.
In my eyes, if you bought a game and played for 2 hours, you liked it well enough. That's why I think that just returning games for reason I didn't like it, can't end well, it's humans we are talking about, they are unreasonable at least half of their lifetime.
I don't think you should only look at worst case scenarios here. There is always room for abuse (Russian bear, account sharing, piracy) but that shouldn't influence the rights of the majority of people who are playing by the rules. This can only be a good thing. If people don't want to pay for games there were already many many other alternatives.

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean, tbh thanks to beth allowing new vegas to happen there are reasons to be happy for all kinds of fallout fans, so not really hating on fo3, just making snarky remarks that are probably less clever than i think they are

the only thing that annoys me about fo3 is how much praise it gets while being so indifferent to the core tenets of the fallout concept

it's just depressing as someone that considers fallout as one of the most important things of their life

Any lawyers here?

European law has various provisions protecting consumers. When we heard about the refund policy, my first thought was that it is being done with EU regulations in mind. It's kind of Valve to offer this universally because, as far as I know, the law isn't as consumer friendly outside the EU, for example in America.

Dr Dogg

Obviously certain legislation for consumer protection differs from country to country but if something is defective most countries have certain legislation entitling a replacement or refund. Regards to just returning something? Well that's a little different. Under the now obsolete Distance Selling Regulation you had a cooling off period of 14 days to return blind purchased goods via mail order, online shopping etc. no questions asked and full refund paid (which plenty including myself abused to the hills). They were replaced a couple of years ago by Consumer Contracts Regulations which only grants a 14 day period for certain goods (which you won't get the full amount refunded as the retailer is allowed to deduct an appropriate restocking fee) and has more explicit terms for digital content and software. As mentioned previously it states you waive your right to a refund the moment service is started. This could be a subscription model or some providers like Amazon are doing it the moment an ebook is downloaded onto a device.

zkylon

zkylewd
why someone would consider it bad to be able to return something if you don't like it is just beyond me

unless you're the ppl selling the returned item

in which case for me it begs the question of why is ppl returning your product so often

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

M5A3qLj.jpg

Boss.

Some relevant bits:

――Next, I’d like to ask about the upcoming PC version release. How did the decision to release this come about?

SWERY:
First, I got the opportunity to give a lecture at GDC 2015, on the post-mortem for D4. I had to explain the concepts of “sensory replication” and “empathy” as theories. And I didn’t want people to be like “Well, it’s because you’ve got Kinect that these theories hold up, right?”. I feel that “sensory replication” is the theory of the game, and not the device itself. In order to prove that “Yeah, you can replicate this on other devices as well,” we put together a PC build with just a few people. So I did the lecture and showed off the fact that the PC version did just as well at sensory replication as the Kinect. Then I showed it off at PAX East, curious as to how users would react. And everyone was like, “I totally want this,” and “You gotta market this,” etc., so I was like “Yeah, alright.” [Laughs]

――Going back to the subject of the PC version, could you go over the differences between the PC version and the Xbox One version one more time?

SWERY:
There are a whole bunch of them, but going over the most characteristic differences, first off the Kinect was totally phased out. From there, we tuned the entire thing to work with mouse-based controls. And of course, we’ve reworked everything from the button response to the onscreen UI design to fit that. After that, for the PC version―and this is for those running on the recommended specs, but―we made it run at 60fps. It’s more clear than the Xbox One version, and I don’t know―it’s just a drama-based game, but it looks really nice and clear. Yeah. I don’t really know what it is, but I’m like “’60’ is really awesome,” you know?

Let’s see, what else… One more thing that’s specific to PC users that I actually learned after deciding to work with PLAYISM, was screen resolution and turning dynamic shadows on and off, stuff like that. I was told that those settings would be absolutely necessary for PC users, and I had no idea so we sort of rushed to add all of that in as well.

Dr Dogg

After Deadly Premonition, mucking about with D4 PC it's a technical marvel compared to that. Took a bit of faffinf but arbitrary resolutions work via ini changes. 21:9 support is out the window sadly but hey there's only 0.01% of this thread that cares about that.

madjoki

I know that, but our courts don't say you can return anything now under any conditions, are they?

Yes, you're only entitled refund for non-working digital products. So Valve's is actually far better than what laws require.

why someone would consider it bad to be able to return something if you don't like it is just beyond me

unless you're the ppl selling the returned item

in which case for me it begs the question of why is ppl returning your product so often

That's not even returns graph. We don't know if it takes return into account.

Maybe it's slow perioid for steam when everyone else is already running their summer sales and steam is full price?

It's not some big name game, but fairly niche title.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's not even returns graph. We don't know if it takes return into account.

Maybe it's slow perioid for steam when everyone else is already running their summer sales and steam is full price?

It's not some big name game, but fairly niche title.
yeah just talking about the concept in general, unrelated to that developer in particular

Lain

After Deadly Premonition, mucking about with D4 PC it's a technical marvel compared to that. Took a bit of faffinf but arbitrary resolutions work via ini changes. 21:9 support is out the window sadly but hey there's only 0.01% of this thread that cares about that.

Every time I see ColdSun's pics in the Steam Activity I always think the same thing "now this is wide screen".

derExperte

Everyone's talking about Hatred. But what about Gynophobia?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/365020/

Gynophobia is a horror shooter about abnormal fear of women. Gynophobia is using classic first person shooter gameplay, to convey story about Mark, who is suffering from different phobias, including abnormal fear of woman.

What?

Yes! Fish based combat is where it's at for 2015!

I miss underwater shooter-sims like Aquanox.

L.O.R.D

after playing 3 level of hatred...i really don't understand the hate for this game
i mean,,in GTA you kill people more violent than this ?
there is many games that you kill people in most bad way then this game

its not bad , i like that you can destroy anything in the game ( walls and cars and objects )
the execution is meh, you get bored of them after couple of time and you can turn them off

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The horror

Agreed. This is also the perfect way to check if a game runs on your PC, without having to resort to piracy or risk wasting money.

I like this change. It makes me feel I'm not taking a bet when purchasing a rather expensive game, especially with a computer as old as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom