• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't think i'll ever be a big fan of games where asymmetrical online FPS gameplay is the main thing. I think i put 30 minutes into evolve before i passed on it and i still need to try out left 4 dead 1 and 2. I know that Battleborn isn't exactly that but the fact that it seems like it was trying to appeal to the competitive scene in similar fashion as to Evolve has me wondering when Gearbox is going to make a borderlands 3 instead.

maybe i should do a campaign runthrough of L4D1 already and see what all of the fuss was about.

Evolve being 4 vs 1 was a huge mark against it from the get-go. Situations like that are hardly engaging enough to sustain a solid playerbase.

L4D1/2's multi on the other hand is 4 v 4, with the different infected allowing for teams to concoct precision strikes that use each infected's abilities to their fullest. On the other side, this requires the human players to be far more alert and demands a bit more teamwork than fighting one bulletsponge enemy. Once you've played a while, you get used to certain tactics, but the randomized nature of spawns keeps things from getting too predictable and even some on-the-fly tactics end up working out beautifully.

PARANO1A

So confession time... I've never actually been a PC gamer during a Steam sale. Besides cheap games, why are people talking about strategy, cards, crafting, etc? It sounds a touch intimidating rather than just 'ooh I want that game' *add to cart*.

Jawmuncher

Rock Band 4 isn't coming to PC due to piracy concerns.

Also due to Harmonix's uncertainty about sales potential on the platform.

I figured it was about Piracy more than anything. As for sales potential to me it makes the most since. Game can use PS4 and X1 guitars (as well as 360) out of the box if programmed that way. Plus it will mean an actual "definitive" version. Since it won't be tied to a system family that might not have backwards compatibility.

it's probably less to do with piracy but more to do with being unable to sell DLC music to a community that will mod the ever living shit out of their game to play whatever tracks they like.

And I know that folks still say to skip L4D1 and go straight to 2 instead but i think I'd have a better appreciation for the changes 2 does if i play the first one. And I'll probably play it while leaving my room open to the public, which will surely work out just fine.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Rock Band 4 isn't coming to PC due to piracy concerns.

Also due to Harmonix's uncertainty about sales potential on the platform.

"We've never been there before" isn't really a valid excuse, as there's no way for you to get on the platform until you've, well, actually been on the platform. I'm not sure what the state of the controller support is like for the PC, but that's not something that's insurmountable either.

As for the piracy excuse, I'm really sad to see that brought up again as devs have shown that it is less and less of an issue these days. Feels like a cop-out after we've had some older Guitar Heroes and Rocksmith on PC.

it's probably less to do with piracy but more to do with being unable to sell DLC music to a community that will mod the ever living shit out of their game to play whatever tracks they like.

Rock Band Customs were super easy to get set up on Rock Band 3, so that's more their fault than anything else.

Jawmuncher

And I know that folks still say to skip L4D1 and go straight to 2 instead but i think I'd have a better appreciation for the changes 2 does if i play the first one. And I'll probably play it while leaving my room open to the public, which will surely work out just fine.

You'll appreciate melee weapons, which is really the biggest change there was.

baterism

So confession time... I've never actually been a PC gamer during a Steam sale. Besides cheap games, why are people talking about strategy, cards, crafting, etc? It sounds a touch intimidating rather than just 'ooh I want that game' *add to cart*.
PARANO1A
(Today, 08:16 PM)

During major Steam sales like Winter Sale or Summer Sale, usually there's a social manipulation meta-game that involve the whole community. It varies each time, you better wait and see it by yourself. If you don't want to participate, no need to concern it. It's entirely optional.
Just keep visiting Steam thread or Steam Sale thread during Summer Sale, we usually make a lot of noise if something interesting happen.

MUnited83

For you.

Ubisoft has no issues selling DLC for Rocksmith though...

Ubisoft has no issues selling DLC for Rocksmith though...

i'm pretty sure the bar for meeting expectations is much much lower for Rocksmith than it is for Rock Band. Plus, the cost of producing each track is lower given that youre only doing the work for a guitar, no?

they probably just don't see much of a return coming from the investment. I'm not saying they're in the right on that, but surely they have numbers to justify their position that we dont have.

strange, because rocksmith 2014 has almost 400k in sales if steamspy is anything to go by. It's not exactly a number to sneeze at.

I guess Jase won't have too much money for Steam after all XD
Cool for console folks.

But here I am, having free remasters for free by virtue of just waiting a couple years for better hardware.
Type-0 HD is 70GB, lol.
That's an awful lot of DVDs.

Surely that figure is not the data which will be needed to download but the extracted/installed size?

Should have compressed.
Be Mine 20 Coming soon.

Looks to contain:

I imagine pre-orders will start 24 hours out from launch time.
Those are pretty nice games. Might preorder.
Anyone who preorders Fallout4 at £50 needs their head checked.
Sadly, yes I agree. There is no doubt in all the universe that there will be many DLCs and there is no doubt in all the universe that buying the inevitable ultimate-goty-bestest version will be cheaper than buying separate.

Never gonna buy a Bethesda RPG which is not a complete edition.
zpBzxfK.png

I would feel much more comfortable if it was either full caps than this mixed style. Feels more like I am being shouted at.

Ayumi

Because you can buy cards and sell them for real money (from your Steam wallet). People use cards to craft booster packs and sell them for a higher pricer. When you play games you earn cards (in most games) and if you miss 1 or 2 to complete a booster pack, you can buy the missing ones and sell them as a package.

It's not really something you have to care about if you don't want to.
But if you play a lot of games very often, the cards gather up relatively fast and can be a (somewhat dreadful) way to earn a little extra cash to buy cheap games with.

Vlad

Also, you might hear the phrase "wait for the dailies/flash deals". This is good advice.

Assuming they don't do anything drastically different with the summer sale this time around, most games on Steam get some sort of discount during the sale. However, there are daily sales as well as "flash sales" (every 8 hours) that drop the discount even further. So, the best bet is to keep an eye on any games you might want and grab them if they get the deeper discount. Otherwise, grab what you might want on the final day, when there are no more daily/flash sales and there's no chance for things to get further discounted.

Parsnip

Also, you might hear the phrase "wait for the dailies/flash deals". This is good advice.

With refunds, this is less of an issue now.
I mean it's still an issue because refunds might take a while, but it's less of an issue because you can get a refund and then buy the game cheaper.

Just a spare from the IG giveaway:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pixel Puzzles: Japan -- MB-65F2D3ADA7F003EC - Taken by chronomac

Dr Dogg

It's always funny and sad to hear the excuses of some devs/pubs why they don't want to press on with a PC version. "Well we've never released on PC before so we don't have much of an audience there". Well you got to start somewhere and how many of your audience do you think only owns just a console? How many own various platforms including ones your currently don't publish on? "Well there's piracy concerns". But how would you know the extent of this if it's an unfamiliar platform to you? These issues were also there for PSWii60 and didn't stop you there.

Just be honest, you like the walled garden approach because you deal in heavily copyrighted and licenced material that is music and being on an open platform might put the kibosh on the potential to sign new licences or modders kill off a percentage of your potential revenue stream, present and future.

"We've never been there before" isn't really a valid excuse, as there's no way for you to get on the platform until you've, well, actually been on the platform. I'm not sure what the state of the controller support is like for the PC, but that's not something that's insurmountable either.

Well, Rock Band does have a very well established audience. The problem with transferring that audience to Steam is that many of these players (myself included) have spent thousands of dollars of DLC that are stuck on Xbox or PlayStation. For some players, it's cheaper to just buy a new Xbox One or PlayStation 4 just for Rock Band 4 than to rebuy the DLC on Steam.

MaxiLive

oh well im bad at accents

she's cool tho

Me too, just can't miss an exaggerated accent from my motherland :p

I love her design and charm doesn't seem to be the most fun gameplay wise compared to some of the other character though!

It's always funny and sad to hear the excuses of some devs/pubs why they don't want to press on with a PC version. "Well we've never released on PC before so we don't have much of an audience there". Well you got to start somewhere and how many of your audience do you think only owns a console? "Well there's piracy concerns". But how would you know the extent of this if it's an unfamiliar platform to you? These issues were also there for PSWii60 and didn't stop you there.

Just be honest, you like the walled garden approach because you deal in heavily copyrighted and licenced material that is music and being on an open platform might put the kibosh on the potential to sign new licences or modders kill off a percentage of you potential revenue stream, present and future.

There is usually a good reason for it though just not something they can tell you. Such as "We don't have the man power to QA another sku", "Our license agreements only covered consoles" or "The finical return for the PC release isn't forecasted to cover development costs".

In Harmonix case I bet the're too small to support a PC build at the moment and probably can't see much finical gain by hiring enough staff to support it. No doubt if they get more money that they may port to PC 6 months+ down the line.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Well, Rock Band does have a very well established audience. The problem with transferring that audience to Steam is that many of these players (myself included) have spent thousands of dollars of DLC that are stuck on Xbox or PlayStation. For some players, it's cheaper to just buy a new Xbox One or PlayStation 4 just for Rock Band 4 than to rebuy the DLC on Steam.

This is a pretty solid logical nightmare they'd have to face for sure, and one that doesn't have a great solution readily at hand. Even still, with the hundreds I spent on Rock Band DLC for my group over all the years and installments, I was perfectly okay with having to let go of that and start fresh, just so long as I was able to play on my platform of choice.

The biggest issue, as pointed out in the GAF thread, is that their musical partners are afraid of the song stems being easily accessible. Stems are much more coveted than fully rendered tracks as they give intimate control over the sounds one hears. You're essentially getting the DNA of every song. Record labels and artists don't want this. They don't like a lot of things, including the existence of custom tracks on Rocksmith (though this was a huge problem for Guitar Hero 2, 3 and Rock Band 3 as well), which has caused some difficulties for the team to secure the rights for songs:

I really think that they were very interested in doing a PC version when they put out that survey earlier in the year which let you respond that you wouldn't buy the game since it wasn't on PC. But that came to a quick halt when it came time for the legal teams to get involved.

Bard's Tale - in engine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVB6dSckvJI

Looks goooooood

it does

but i don't believe a single bit of gameplay footage until about a month or so before release. There's too much time from here to launch for major shifts in development to occur, for priorities to change, and there's always the chance that they were too optimistic with what they thought they could do early on.

basically, it's all nice and purty but it might as well be a fairy tale until i see it with me own eyes.

Vlad

Wow, with all the positive buzz that GOG usually gets, I thought it was supposed to actually be a good site. I try to straight up pay for my purchase with a card, and it's denied. I call my bank and they tell them that Visa has blocked it due to fraud protection. So I try to go through paypal and use the card there. It seems to work, but now I'm just stuck at the "waiting for verification of your payment method" screen back on GOG.

The site's got a neat idea, but it's kind of useless if it's this much of a hassle to actually buy anything there. Say what you will about Steam's shortcomings, I've never had any issues actually spending money there.

Funny thing is Sony or ND or Bluepoint or whatever cut out the entire multiplayer from Uncharted Trilogy. I mean, for me multi was never important in Uncharted, but it's sad they removed it entirely, like "it's not an important thing", while they pushed Last of Us multi a lot on PS4. Than they provide you a U4 beta code.
Even more funny if you consider U3 multi is totally free to play on PS3, they just could make a straight port of that one on PS4 and provide a downloadable code so they don't need to waste space on bluray.

it's probably that they don't wish to deal with the logistical nightmare of getting 2 MP games up and running given that they're already tight on BR disc space and probably saw the hell on earth that was the Master Chief Collection and said, naw.

Plus, they want to use the Uncharted 4 MP beta as a means of enticing folks to buy the collection. Sure, MCC did the same with the Halo 5 beta but AFAIK MCC is still a simmering garbage fire that has only recently become somewhat competent.

Dr Dogg

There is usually a good reason for it though just not something they can tell you. Such as "We don't have the man power to QA another sku", "Our license agreements only covered consoles" or "The finical return for the PC release isn't forecasted to cover development costs".

In Harmonix case I bet the're too small to support a PC build at the moment and probably can't see much finical gain by hiring enough staff to support it. No doubt if they get more money that they may port to PC 6 months+ down the line.

Everythig you've stated can quite happily be explained. If they don't have the required resources just say so, if they have reservations about modding and unlicensed content being used just say so, if their licences only cover certain platforms or distribution methods for what ever reason just say so. The excuses given in that interview really don't add up and if that's the case then they will never release a game on PC ever unless they change their stance. If someone is determined to pirate their game they will pirate their game. They're not going to get an install base on PC out of thin air, they have to build that up themselves. So if it is an ROI thing just bloody say so or try a campaign of some sorts to gauge interest. They won't though, either for fear of backlash or send out the wrong message, and the message is always chiseled to perfection by a legion of PR suits.

Dr Dogg

Based on reactions in this thread we can expect many more Definitive Editions on PC in near future from 3rd party publishers

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057067

What I find odd is that it's called the Nathan Drake collection. While the Master Chef (yes I did put chef) Collection makes sense as it only stared the games he's been in and a hypothetical Marcus Fenix collection could ommit Judgement, Drake has been in every Uncharted game full stop. Bloody marketing is at it again, as someone said in the inital thread it sounds like a perfume range.

Generally I am chuckling how important graphics are. For all I care all games could get a timeless comic look. "Realistic" games are aging so fast anyway and we get people that are whining that something like Witcher 3 looks bad.
Witcher 3 looks like I was playing concept art at times, not sure what those people were smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom