• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxiLive

Witcher 3 looks like I was playing concept art at times, not sure what those people were smoking.

I don't think many people were complaining it looks bad but that it doesn't look as good as the initial trailers, therefore bad :p I've always been amazed by how good Witcher looks!

Dr Dogg

It makes sense simply because an Uncharted Trilogy already exist so ND doesn't want to confuse its customers, plain and simple.
http://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/uncharted-trilogy-ps3-pal-1.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]

*sigh* it doesn't make it simple, it's using the brand of Nathan Drake as a selling point. You could argue why a Collection doesn't include Golden Abyss or the iPhone 'thing'. It's an incomplete collection if anything. Of course I'm not that dense and I can see what they're offering and can see why they have chose that particular name. Granted after the fiasco with the Master Chief Collection I'd have wanted to steer away from association with that. Uncharted Legacy, Uncharted Chronicles, Uncharted Legends, all sound candidates to me (though I bet some are trademarked or copyrighted all ready).

Hari Seldon

Has anyone tried a Steam Return yet? I did for a game that I had exactly 2 hours of play time and it has been 3 days now and it hasn't gone through with either a yes or no. I thought this was going to be more automated lol.

I recall some GOG games being able to be activated on Steam. Is there a reliable way to find out which ones, or if this is still possible?

Specifcally, Beyond Good and Evil? ;)

Nzyme32

GAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/steam/?merchname=hubsteam-_-bundles-_-HardwareBundles

I want a Steam Controller but not at 60 quid (alright 40 with a 20 quid voucher).

This Only At GAME nonsense knows no bounds, even dealing with both sides of the fence. Oh hey you can only get the Steam Controller from us but you won't be able to play any of this years Ubisoft titles on Steam with it until our Only At Game promo ends. Wankers!

Haha, it is ridiculous. I just want the Steam Controller to start out with. I guess Steam will sell them surely?

Ayumi

I recall some GOG games being able to be activated on Steam. Is there a reliable way to find out which ones, or if this is still possible?

Pretty sure the answer is no, to both.
There might be exceptions, but probably games no one cares about (anymore).

maty

I don't think so. The only game I could redeem on steam was Race the Sun after registering in the official website or newsletter, not sure right now.

Maniac

Banned
How's your hard drive activity looking? Some downloads seem to saturate my hard drive's available bandwidth and starts to choke my system.

Err... I haven't thought to check. My systems on my SSD, and I'm downloading stuff to my HDD... Can't imagine that being the cause..? :|
Yikes! That sounds waaaay to high. Origin only hits one core at 20% load for me and that's a resource hog and Steam has never gone above 10% system utilisation. Have a gander at CPU usage under Task Manager to see if it really is Steam that's the issue. If it is go download Process Explorer (don't have a link sadly but it's a Microsoft application not included with Windows) and then you can look at individual process threads to see what's eating up CPU cycles.

Yeah, I was thinking about Process Explorer. So I went ahead and downloaded it, and... It seems that the main culprit is in fact System and svchost... Now I just need to figure out *WHY* -_-', seems my HDD isn't the problem since the lag entirely stops once Steam starts writing to the disk and stops downloading, and it never reaches max bandwidth...

Sigh. I hate Windows. ;_;

Edit: LOOK AT THIS SHIT, DOGG. LOOK AT IT.
wYNsIBM.png

God damnit. -_-

Edit yet again; Tried downloading something to my SSD. Same god damn thing, and not the slightest issue with drive bandwidth.

Fuck me in the arse but fuck Windows ever-so-more.

Kyougar

I got curious when I realized just loading up the "Load" tab in the game started taking longer than usual.

At a 250GB disk, over 7GB of saves is ridiculously wasted place.
Never seen a game that takes so much space for saves before.

then you never played a paradox grand strategy game or a round of Fifa manager (R.I.P)

GAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/steam/?merchname=hubsteam-_-bundles-_-HardwareBundles

I want a Steam Controller but not at 60 quid (alright 40 with a 20 quid voucher).

This Only At GAME nonsense knows no bounds, even dealing with both sides of the fence. Oh hey you can only get the Steam Controller from us but you won't be able to play any of this years Ubisoft titles on Steam with it until our Only At Game promo ends. Wankers!
I've already pre-ordered it :p I'm sure that I'll find something on which to use the credit during the Winter Seal and I can't wait to get my hands on that controller. It looks like the best pad since the Wii U Pro Controller.

Here's Nicholas Chester, Harmonix's publicist, on the whole Rock Band 4 on PC situation:

To be totally clear, this is not about software piracy. Daniel didn't even MENTION piracy, so it's disappointing (but I guess not surprising) to see his comments taken out of context. So before this gets out of hand...

We’re not concerned about software piracy on PC. We have and will release games for PC. In fact, last year we released A City Sleeps for PC, Mac, and Linux. As Daniel stated, the security in question is related to licensed music in the game. PlayStation4 and Xbox One have robust functionality in that area. It’s added security that’s handled by the platform holders. In the case of more open platforms like PC, we’re responsible for that. It’s something we can build. It’s not off the table for the future, however we’re first focusing on delivering Rock Band 4 for Playstation 4 and Xbox One this holiday.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
http://store.steampowered.com/search...per=Puppygames

Revenge of the Titans, Titan Attacks!, Ultratron and Droid Asssault.

Most of those are pretty good.
Bad stuff.

I'd normally be more kind to a developer's works, but Puppygames has more than earned my honesty.

Ahh they're the devs who made "grab these games for free during a specific time period" then after a while they pulled out those games from people who got them due to "exploits".

Yeah fuck them.

Err... I haven't thought to check. My systems on my SSD, and I'm downloading stuff to my HDD... Can't imagine that being the cause..? :|

Yeah, I was thinking about Process Explorer. So I went ahead and downloaded it, and... It seems that the main culprit is in fact System and svchost... Now I just need to figure out *WHY* -_-', seems my HDD isn't the problem since the lag entirely stops once Steam starts writing to the disk and stops downloading, and it never reaches max bandwidth...

Sigh. I hate Windows. ;_;

Edit: LOOK AT THIS SHIT, DOGG. LOOK AT IT.
wYNsIBM.png

God damnit. -_-

Edit yet again; Tried downloading something to my SSD. Same god damn thing, and not the slightest issue with drive bandwidth.

Fuck me in the arse but fuck Windows ever-so-more.
You rolling with a Samsung 840 evo? Because it sure looks like you might be.

Ahh they're the devs who made "grab these games for free during a specific time period" then after a while they pulled out those games from people who got them due to "exploits".

Yeah fuck them.

People were exploiting the promotion for real. That's more than enough reason to stop doing it...

I really don't understand the hate for Puppygames, their games aren't bad, and they have personality.

MUnited83

For you.

Yeah fuck them.

That's seems like a weird stance. They didn't pulled out the games from people who didn't abuse the giveaway. They only pulled the games from people who obviously exploited it. Why the hell are you saying "fuck them" because of that? They were exploited and exploited hard.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, fuck 'em for giving away free shit.
That's seems like a weird stance. They didn't pulled out the games from people who didn't abuse the giveaway. They only pulled the games from people who obviously exploited it. Why the hell are you saying "fuck them" because of that? They were exploited and exploited hard.

but I got their games legit from their site but got them pulled from my Steam account :/

That's why to this day I am not buying their games

Yeah fuck them.

Wasn't thinking about that. Rather, it was their explosion of bitterness in regards to indie game pricing nowadays, which basically boils down to "our games are bundle-tier and we hate it." There might've been other stuff, but that blog post is what I recall the most.

Purchase-shaming is such an unusual behaviour that always boils down to money, for both sides.

madjoki

According to Eurogamer, the Steam machines, controller and Link are officially launching in November but you get them early by pre-ordering.

Yeah.

Early Bird Release: 16/10/2015
General Release: 10/11/2015

From Game.co.uk

"Steam will open UK pre-orders shortly here, via Valve's website. You will also be able to buy the Steam Link and controller at GAME from 16th October when pre-order customers begin receiving their PCs."

That sounds good. Hopefully Finland can order too and can be paid with steam wallet.

MUnited83

For you.
but I got their games legit from their site but got them pulled from my Steam account :/

"their games"? You mean more than one? There's your answer then.

Wasn't thinking about that. Rather, it was their explosion of bitterness in regards to indie game pricing nowadays, which basically boils down to "our games are bundle-tier and we hate it." There might've been other stuff, but that blog post is what I recall the most.

Purchase-shaming is such an unusual behaviour that always boils down to money, for both sides.
Yeah, that one was really weird, especially after them willingly bundling their games so many times.

Well, you forgot to post this then: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1579

While I can understand that you are angry at them for having revoked a game that you bought, I must ask a question: Did you try to contact them explaining what happened?

My guess the real reason is people would begin hacking and modding the game to play any music file and then they couldn't sell overpriced track dlc.

True, but I feel Harmonix's charting is better than just about any mod I've seen. I feel even a lot of RBN tracks pale in comparison to Harmonix's charts.

And the DLC is pretty reasonably priced for something that typically contains four distinct instruments' charts on four different difficulty levels each.

madjoki

My guess the real reason is people would begin hacking and modding the game to play any music file and then they couldn't sell overpriced track dlc.

Yes it is, pricay was just Gamespots wording:

“We're not concerned about software piracy on PC. We have and will release games for PC. In fact, last year we released A City Sleeps for PC, Mac, and Linux. As Daniel stated, the security in question is related to licensed music in the game. PlayStation4 and Xbox One have robust functionality in that area. It's added security that's handled by the platform holders. In the case of more open platforms like PC, we're responsible for that. It's something we can build. It's not off the table for the future, however we're first focusing on delivering Rock Band 4 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this holiday."

sprinkles

So confession time... I've never actually been a PC gamer during a Steam sale. Besides cheap games, why are people talking about strategy, cards, crafting, etc? It sounds a touch intimidating rather than just 'ooh I want that game' *add to cart*.
Metagame changes every sale, but the last few focused on crafting badges. Last summer sale the best team won
go red team!
and members of that could win free shit off their wishlist.

Baron_Calamity double-posted. RIP.
Well, you forgot to post this then: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1579
So, yes, they're unreasonably bitter but not completely insane. I suppose that's an improvement.

At least they link to Jeff Vogel's blog. I was trying to recall his post on the "indie bubble" and its imminent demise. (Basically, there's not enough money to go around.) It was a more insightful, elegant, and ignored article than Puppygames' little temper tantrum. I don't think Jeff's blog is 100% correct, but he's only putting it out there For the Record™ more than anything. And yeah, Jeff's games are great; CRPGs that you can count on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom