• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Doesn't feel as great as I thought it would :p

LyfudBD.png

On to the next 1000!

And you people should all buy "You Must Build A Boat"!

XShagrath

Thanks to refunds I think it's unlikely that we'll see bigger discounts during the summer sale.
Just because refunds are available doesn't mean that the majority of users will take advantage of them. I'd wait for the first day of the sale to start complaining about sale discounts.

PaulLFC

Is anyone else having issues with Steam downloads tonight? It keeps downloading ~100MB chunks of a game and then moving it to "scheduled" and stopping the download for seemingly no reason. I have to manually start it again, and then after a few more MB it does the same again.

I've just changed the WiFi adapter that's connected to the PC today, so that could be something to do with it - but I've not noticed any connection drops or issues browsing sites or streaming music etc, and Uplay just downloaded gigs worth of AC Rogue very quickly, with no stoppages like Steam is doing.

I've tried changing d/l server in Steam settings and restarting Steam, but no luck so far. Unless it's just this one game (Nekro) and there's an issue with it for some reason.

derExperte

One of the Be Mine 20 games: http://store.steampowered.com/app/351820/ (see huge red robot right in the middle)

Just because refunds are available doesn't mean that the majority of users will take advantage of them. I'd wait for the first day of the sale to start complaining about sale discounts.

But I wanna complain now. And if the discounts are higher I'll just complain about lower discounts for the DLC. It never ends.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
An argument could be made that sales will have to get even better because the psychology of how much a game costs usually feeds into your decision to return it.

Like, I was pretty close to asking for a refund with Double Dragon Neon, but I paid 3 bucks for it, so I was like: whatever.

If the game was 5 bucks? You bet I'd have asked for a refund.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Your DLC count is unnaturally low for a game count that high.

Most game collectors, even serious ones, more or less stopped bothering with DLC after Valve separated it from the game count figure. Personally, I don't see the point in collecting games if you're going to half-arse it and only buy DLC you actually want. You might as well just buy the games you want, too, and save yourself a ton of money.

Edit: To be clear, this isn't in response to Lego Spaceman's post. For all I know he makes good use of those 3000 games... or intends to.

The_Super_Inframan

Pretty sure the answer is no, to both.
There might be exceptions, but probably games no one cares about (anymore).

I don't think so. The only game I could redeem on steam was Race the Sun after registering in the official website or newsletter, not sure right now.

Thanks for this. It's totally possible that my memory is just shot. It and I haven't been on the best of terms for most of my life. I could've sworn there were a few games that were able to be redeemed, and I guess I really just wanted one of those to be Beyond Good and Evil.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Preordering with any mass-manufactured consumer good, as a concept, falls into that same trap. The last time I ever remember having trouble finding something without a preorder was that Mario Anniversary collection for the Wii.

As for getting hyped off of one trailer, in the case of Fallout 4, it's an established series and the trailer showed enough to get fans of the atmosphere and location excited. It could literally be a reskin of Fallout 3 and I'd still want to play it on day one. That said, I'm waiting for some kind of incentive to finally plop money down, but I'll most certainly do it in advance.

This is one of the more rational reactions to the trailer I've seen, and coincidentally one that falls in with my own thoughts.

Pre-orders in this franchise situations like this (essentially "sight unseen") aren't as ludicrous as people have described them to be. A lot of it is an expression of devotion or a willful suspension of reticence. There are a lot worse things to spend your money on than a dream, whether or not it's delivered. ;)

Backlogger

There's so much attention about the controller and all I'm excited about is the $60 Steam Link.

I'm really excited about that too, but I don't really need one right away since I have a SFF PC hooked up to my living room TV. The controller on the other hand... must. have. now.

Hopefully they fix the shopping cart soon...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm really curious about the use of the steam controller as a "steering wheel" in racing games. It obviously wouldn't be the same as a FFB wheel that centers back and resists like a real car, but it seems like even just a circular touchpad that could emulate the positioning would be a big improvement over tilting a stick.

The_Super_Inframan

Most game collectors, even serious ones, more or less stopped bothering with DLC after Valve separated it from the game count figure. Personally, I don't see the point in collecting games if you're going to half-arse it and only buy DLC you actually want. You might as well just buy the games you want, too, and save yourself a ton of money.

Edit: To be clear, I'm speaking in general and not responding to Lego Spaceman's post.

That is also a reason, yes.

Maniac

Banned
Yikes! That sounds waaaay to high. Origin only hits one core at 20% load for me and that's a resource hog and Steam has never gone above 10% system utilisation. Have a gander at CPU usage under Task Manager to see if it really is Steam that's the issue. If it is go download Process Explorer (don't have a link sadly but it's a Microsoft application not included with Windows) and then you can look at individual process threads to see what's eating up CPU cycles.

Liiiittle follow-up, my darling; Process Explorer totes helped, so thanks for the tip. I'd thought of getting it buuuut wasn't sure it would help. Your tip convinced me to get it and in the end it *did* help. After it showed me that System was to blame, I figured it wasn't Steam nor qBittorrent nor anything like that, so I ended up doing a few things to try and fix it. Checked for updates with Driver Magician (love that damn program), which downloaded a chipset update. Installed that, then removed and re-installed my Realtek ethernet driver and enabled RAPID mode for my 840 Pro.

... I had no idea they'd added RAPID to the Pro series. If I'd known I would've had it on ages ago. ;_;

Anyway, one of these things, if not a mix of them all, fixed my issue. So hurray! :p
no

Still check if it's running full speed, maybe the driver got f'd up or something. Or a cable is loose/broken.

I checked. Some bits were a tad slow, so I checked through the optimisations, changed a few and... Err, noticed that RAPID had been added to the Pro series. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if it was added over a year ago with how much attention I've been paying.

... I'm very bad at paying attention. Cheers for the suggestion regardless, wouldn't've found out about RAPID mode if not >_<'

Edit: To be clear, this isn't in response to Lego Spaceman's post. For all I know he makes good use of those 3000 games... or intends to.

mXaImjwyrAha.png

I think I lost the my will after 1000th game. Don't even bother with most bundles.

KingKong

genuinely surprised that they're not offering steam store credit for pre-purchasing the controller. might as well pick it up at gamestop then

Maniac

Banned
Guys, I do need you to know a few things:

1) Fallout is easily my favorite series.

2) I was raised and still live in the Boston/Massachusetts area.

3) The only reason why I haven't already preordered this shit is because I am waiting for some kind of season pass bundle pack to get put up.

4) Fallout 4 could pioneer a new feature that immediately shoots my dick off and I'd still preorder it.

"Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads."

I digress; I hope to see some place you've lived utterly destroyed!

Would be so neat, right!?

I mean, I'm in no way hyped about FO4. I was hyped for a good year or two after Skyrim, but at some point I realised "I don't care" and got off the hype train. This being Bethesda, I never expected great graphics, which isn't seemingly on show either. I don't expect great anything, but I do expect a great deal of things to be Solid, which is usually the case. There's just rarely anything 'great' in their games, atleast the last few years.

... Well, okay, I lied, in my opinion their soundtracks have always been great, so they have that going for them.

And if that motherfucking pitiful VAT system returns... I BLOODY WELL WANT TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT PEOPLES COCKS OFF

Unless they're eunuchs.
My opinions already supersede zky's, so the battle is already won.

War never changes.

S15RxOT.png

OK, you win.

Edit: Shit. I forgot to buy the bundle. Really wanted Spacemarine. Bollocks! -_-

Maniac

Banned
D'oh, wasn't aware of that. Oh well, the game is cheap as chips.

You could always ask for a key and give it to me, since, uh, I kind of want the game and am a filthy, greedy McScrooge-y cunt.
Here you go, creep:

KQ82lyZ.jpg

( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)
Technically, she's simulating staking The Gentlemen.

Isn't it more that she's... Simulating stimulating the stake of a gentleman?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This is one of the more rational reactions to the trailer I've seen, and coincidentally one that falls in with my own thoughts.

Pre-orders in this franchise situations like this (essentially "sight unseen") aren't as ludicrous as people have described them to be. A lot of it is an expression of devotion or a willful suspension of reticence. There are a lot worse things to spend your money on than a dream, whether or not it's delivered. ;)

Exactly. They've earned enough cache with me to be given more than the benefit of the doubt. Plus, as time comes, the pre-order will most likely entitle you to preloading.

Though with New Vegas, I'm pretty sure I could have redownloaded it in the time it took to decrypt.

"Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads."

This is probably the only politically correct way to say it in local vernacular.

I digress; I hope to see some place you've lived utterly destroyed!

Would be so neat, right!?

Yeah, absolutely. There's also so much history here and there is just so many innocuous, but neat things for the developers to exploit.

I just hope we get a DLC where we have to go into MaineVACATIONLAND searching for Moxie.

And if that motherfucking pitiful VAT system returns... I BLOODY WELL WANT TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT PEOPLES COCKS OFF

Unless they're eunuchs.

And isn't that the most important thing of all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom