• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

Heya guys, plenty of news going on in the last couple of days, basically since my shiny new multinational job posed me in front of the corporate network locking out all the internet that matters and the corporate walls locking out the data connection off my phone. :'(

I miss this thread so much and also I hope Steam sales hours will be compatible with my work hours or else I'll have to fire myself, but then I wouldn't have any money for games oh god what should i do

def sim

Will Valve charge immediately for the pre-order of the controller and Steam link?

2. Preorder Payment
If you preorder a hardware product, Valve will charge the amount corresponding to your preorder immediately without waiting until the shipping date. You will receive a full refund if you cancel your order at any point before the shipping date.

Yeah, though you can always request a refund.

Salsa

Heya guys, plenty of news going on in the last couple of days, basically since my shiny new multinational job posed me in front of the corporate network locking out all the internet that matters and the corporate walls locking out the data connection off my phone. :'(

I miss this thread so much and also I hope Steam sales hours will be compatible with my work hours or else I'll have to fire myself, but then I wouldn't have any money for games oh god what should i do

hahahahha

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Siege of Inaolia -- MB-5E352D4529CB09FE - Taken by Chreznor. 1 entrants total.
Floors of Discomfort -- MB-0FBCF1B3CE23BF32 - Taken by Kifimbo. 2 entrants total.
Organ Biker -- MB-96BEF5B8264A8E66 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.

t1433453907z1.png

Salsa

After some poking around because I'm just that bored, it would seem that Bethesda has required the use of separate apps for game development, presumably to avoid database-related leaks, since The Evil Within: the public base apps for it, Wolf14: TOB and now Fallout 4 were all uploaded to Steam around the time their respective store pages went live. Wolf14: TNO has a relatively recent dev sub, but judging from its app id, said app is actually about as old as Telltale's Jurassic Park game (in other words, it's super old and is without doubt the same app used for development).

The things you learn.

wtf is this yeah im makin the thread buddy

but really, do you want to

After some poking around because I'm just that bored, it would seem that Bethesda has required the use of separate apps for game development, presumably to avoid database-related leaks, since The Evil Within: the public base apps for it, Wolf14: TOB and now Fallout 4 were all uploaded to Steam around the time their respective store pages went live. Wolf14: TNO has a relatively recent dev sub, but judging from its app id, said app is actually about as old as Telltale's Jurassic Park game (in other words, it's super old and is without doubt the same app used for development).

The things you learn.

don't worry about leaks

https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/605796924495527936

:p

Wok

I have pre-ordered the controller. If it goes on sale during the summer, I will ask for a refund.

The Witcher 3 looks so good at 4K on an actual 4K tv. Actually gasped a bit when it I switched from my monitor to the TV. My desire to get a second 980ti just shot up tenfold, imagining that at 60 FPS is almost too much for my heart.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just realized how smart it is releasing a batch of Steam controllers weeks before the official launch. There are going to be so many already-made templates, ready to go when the public gets to buy it.

Maniac

Banned
Just realized how smart it is releasing a batch of Steam controllers weeks before the official launch. There are going to be so many already-made templates, ready to go when the public gets to buy it.

It's... Quite smart indeed. Hopefully I'll be able to get one for myself as a christmas present.

PARANO1A

Metagame changes every sale, but the last few focused on crafting badges. Last summer sale the best team won
go red team!
and members of that could win free shit off their wishlist.
So participating in the metagame means likely free games? I.e. it's not just badges (which I don't care about) or a time sink? Interesting.

Thanks to a generous giveaway, here are some impressions for Brink of Consciousness: the Dorian Gray Syndrome:

The story: This hidden-object game is the rarest of rare beasts: one with a MALE protagonist! You play crime reporter Sam Wilde, who goes to investigate a mansion where a serial killer - whose M.O. is capturing "beautiful young people" - has captured your girlfriend, Anna Reid. You go through his house where he has placed puzzles and traps (you know, because every house has to have those) and try to track her down. I won't spoil what exactly he does with them, but you can read it here:
He immserses them in a preserving liquid, drowning them in the process, and then keeps them in his house as statues.

The story does a good enough job of explaining away the reason behind the puzzles. The bonus chapter is in an entirely new area (which is rarely done in these games) and has a nice ending:
The killer commits suicide by preserving himself, but not before calling the police in an attempt to frame you.
Of course, there's a glaring plothole in that, but full marks for at least trying something new.

The gameplay and puzzles: The inventory puzzles themselves are mostly bullshit-free but some require exacting placement, so after placing the correct item in the window but not in the exact place, you get the standard failure clunk and start wondering what else it could possibly be. It's like a reverse pixel-hunt.

The puzzles range from intelligence-insultingly easy (matching shapes) to decently challenging (the ol' position-switching puzzles) to one that I had to skip because it was too convoluted for its own good despite having multiple solutions - the guide said "here's one we found (ridiculous combination of 34 moves follows)" Once again, thank goodness for no achievements so I could skip it consequence-free.

The graphics: About average for a hidden-object game but the animations are a bit clunky. One other point to note is that there were no resolution options, and even with "widescreen monitor" enabled, there were still blank bars at the left and right. I was grateful that they had a "film grain" option that started out disabled.

The dialogue and voices: Your antagonist goads you in every room through speakers. He's actually not too bad: like a budget Vincent Price. The rest of the voices were just average. Also, despite several Eastern European names in the credits (I'd guess Romanian,) the dialogue was surprisingly normal-sounding, so kudos on hiring a proofreader.

The length: It took me four hours, including the bonus chapter. Keep in mind that I skipped a puzzle, so it might have been even longer. It's about average for these games, maybe slightly longer.

The verdict: I've played better games in this genre, but I've played more which are worse. If you find it in a bundle, I'd say it's worth your time, cause it's not too bad.

fantomena

The things you learn.

giphy.gif

So participating in the metagame means likely free games? I.e. it's not just badges (which I don't care about) or a time sink? Interesting.

I don't know if 'likely' is the right word. More like 'potentially'. Also, we don't know what this year's meta game will be. The free games thing may have been a one-time thing. But who knows.

Arthea

People are buying my cards again! I'm 20 cents richer now!

don't spent all at once!

my two foils also sold, unbelievable! I love sales

edited: it didn't end well, though, I forgot about market cooldown and immediately bought missing Nep Nep card... now I can't sell stuff I got for crafting for a week! One freaking card! I still can't believe how unfair that is.

Kiru

Click the picture if you want to apply! :)

I so hope I get picked this time. Didn't have luck with Nep Nep 2. Probably didn't like my really old ass GPU. Here I thought that would make my specs more interesting...

Ozium

ModBot said:
Instructions for Ozium:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Vertical Drop Heroes HD -- MB-752074E8506396BD - Taken by Kuroyume
Fancy Skulls -- MB-3BFD39754B365D6E - Taken by Nabs
The Nightmare Cooperative -- MB-16F083306A9E1800 - Taken by Purkake4

rouge things

Ozium

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 25 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Pid -- MB-498EA82BCC1C8396
Shadow Puppeteer -- MB-61C5DF737CB763A7 - Taken by Newblade
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes -- MB-A524A6F02FCB579E - Taken by Cyldman
The UnderGarden -- MB-7DE88B2EF626DA03 - Taken by Vlad
Sentinel #2 -- MB-2B74BC73588DCE5D
Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon -- MB-E9116A5CF5D1DD83 - Taken by xGreg
Survivalist -- MB-4F505BA97FE70D40 - Taken by anastef
Revenge of the Titans -- MB-931B17365A0CEE6E - Taken by Loptous
Verde Station -- MB-F620834F0812577D - Taken by Ozium
Dead Effect -- MB-C17961EB0A685BE6 - Taken by fuzzy123
spoiler alert -- MB-CC01BC8EA302C00D - Taken by electroflame
1954 Alcatraz -- MB-B9684A60A7ECA9E8 - Taken by someguyinahat
The Bridge -- MB-7E4A958946B6E467 - Taken by tioslash
The Night of the Rabbit -- MB-A1405E53E69BBEC1 - Taken by nightstorm
Claire -- MB-DCBC008DD8A27CD3 - Taken by alr1ght
VVVVVV -- MB-972B81C77350AC7B - Taken by fspm
Titan Attacks -- MB-972B81C77350AC7B - Taken by fspm
Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Ep 1 Tides of Fate Complete -- MB-1AC2BC6C731B3A09 - Taken by lindarasta
Vanguard Princess -- MB-23438115E89E1EEB - Taken by Vazduh
Cubetractor -- MB-107D49BF0B556AF5
Doorways 3 -- MB-078E4B0734A52DB4 - Taken by Catshade
Shiny The Firefly -- MB-D95CC7CF730F5C6D - Taken by Purkake4
Sentinel -- MB-8E52263F80176A4F
Majestic Nights -- MB-5FB11A8E6F8E45AB - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Retro/Grade -- MB-3B05C26A3854A55B - Taken by Mixed2k

some crap I forgot for the last one

iosefe

I so hope I get picked this time. Didn't have luck with Nep Nep 2. Probably didn't like my really old ass GPU. Here I thought that would make my specs more interesting...
I hope they enjoy my A10-5700 APU

Chariot

Thanks for the information. They surely can't resist my charm.

Eila

Well, I sent my true specs. They're really low-end.
I wonder what kind of specs they're looking for the most. Probably want to see if their game works on a 970.

Nooice!

Never played it before, but applying and trying the beta doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the information!

madjoki

Well, I sent my true specs. They're really low-end.
I wonder what kind of specs they're looking for the most. Probably want to see if their game works on a 970.

I bet 970 is one of most common GPU's, which decreases changes of getting selected
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom