• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

I tried out Payday 2, but didn't really enjoy it that much. I played a mission with AI partners

Let me stop you right there. If you don't want to play with others, even if they're randoms, forget Payday, the AI is almost useless as they don't complete objectives. Same goes for P1 though I feel that that one is much more focused and easier to get into. Still takes grinding, you don't really 'best' these games.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I don't really like multiplayer in the first place, so I'll just give up. Usually multiplayer games have a single player component, even if it's phoned in, so that's why I checked it out in the first place.

Arthea

Don't play with bots. Get some Gaffers and try it again. Not lashman though. Last time I tried stealth with him, he threw a grenade through a window.

seems like reasonable way to do stealth, if everyone is dead, nobody will catch you sneaking
lol

Don't play with bots. Get some Gaffers and try it again. Not lashman though. Last time I tried stealth with him, he threw a grenade through a window.

image.php

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I tried out Payday 2, but didn't really enjoy it that much. I played a mission with AI partners, and was hoping to stealth my way through it, but I guess that's not an option unless you unlock those types of characters through the stat point thing? I don't know how I feel about that. Usually I like character progression, but it seems like you're too limited in the beginning. I had to hash it out with the cops for 20 minutes, because I had no stealth take down option (tried melee but it didn't amount to anything) and the drills for the safes were slow (I'm guessing upgrades make those faster, too). I dunno. I don't think I'm too fond of the whole "hold down button until thing happens" type of interaction either.

How does Payday 1 compare to Payday 2? I actually own that one, so I intend to beat it eventually. Might make it low priority if it's too similar though. The slog might be bearable if there's a story at all...

Payday isn't really a good series for soloing, you really need co-op partners to make it work. Stealth can be done solo, but the AI characters will do absolutely nothing to help you while you're sneaking around. You'll also need to invest points in the Ghost skill tree and some in the Mastermind if you want to have a good, well-rounded stealth build. You really are at a huge disadvantage until you've leveled up some.

Payday 1 has some more memorable heists that feel more "Hollywood" compared to some of Payday 2's stuff, especially early game. But I find that, RNG dependency on getting gun attachments and all, Payday 2 is the better game all around.

We're usually the ones not listening to him. This time... he was the one not listening to us.

Khronico

I tried out Payday 2, but didn't really enjoy it that much. I played a mission with AI partners, and was hoping to stealth my way through it, but I guess that's not an option unless you unlock those types of characters through the stat point thing? I don't know how I feel about that. Usually I like character progression, but it seems like you're too limited in the beginning. I had to hash it out with the cops for 20 minutes, because I had no stealth take down option (tried melee but it didn't amount to anything) and the drills for the safes were slow (I'm guessing upgrades make those faster, too). I dunno. I don't think I'm too fond of the whole "hold down button until thing happens" type of interaction either.

How does Payday 1 compare to Payday 2? I actually own that one, so I intend to beat it eventually. Might make it low priority if it's too similar though. The slog might be bearable if there's a story at all...

Payday 2 AI is brain dead, play with real people, preferably people you know.

Regarding the progression system, all you need to do is run some very hard-overkill heists with higher level folks and you'll be leveling like crazy (One good overkill heist will level you to about 30).

Regarding stealth, you NEED to have the right weapons/equipment to play that way. Make sure every weapon you have has a high concealment stat, and wear only the suit if you are low level. You also should learn the patrol routes of guards and WATCH OUT FOR CAMERAS (but don't shoot them).

zkylon

zkylewd

no story

neither game is "beatable" with only bots, tho you can prolly do like one of the first missions pretty easy, but since bots odn't grab bags or anything it's kinda lame. also it's a waste not to play with people since you don't really have to communicate much and the bots are pretty terrible

also for stealth you don't need a shit ton of grinding but it's usually better to have one or two people that have a good amount of points into the stealth trees so you can like answer more pagers or have more bodybags or all that other fun crap. also u need money to buy the stealth assets. the stealth approach is more of a late game thing, tho you can just join someone else's game and learn how to do it if u want

also grinding is pretty easy cos u can just stealth the jewelry store on like pro at death wish difficulty with a couple jammers and a silenced gun and you only really need two people and that gives like 700k for 2 minutes or whatever. if you're into that stuff it's really easy to find games like those and get yourself to a decent level so you can enjoy the more difficult missions

also i like payday 1 but with all the upgrades payday 2 got i don't think pd1 it's much interesting anymore. there's a couple fun missions but the stealth is even more simple and the shooting isn't nearly as fun

overall payday 2 is pretty decent if you like shooting cops and shit but i wouldn't say it's that great of a stealth game. the grinding is pretty manageable if you do missions in like hard or very hard which shouldn't be too difficult if you have a couple levels in (which you can get just being there while other people beat jewel store in death wish pro in like half an hour) and then it's just fun times, even if the whole waiting for the drill thing gets pretty repetitive after a while.

the three things i wish the game was better at is
1) having a comms' wheel or something so you can quickly tell people to follow you or hold their ground or whatever,
2) better hostage mechanics (so that trading hostages and maybe handling them is a more involved mechanic of like keeping them in check or having them not panic or maybe negotiating and stalling the police assaults and shit) and
3) more level specific interactive stuff like cooking the meth and shit

Scholar of the First Sin DX11 version is like a month out, and they still haven't shown me a good reason to upgrade. I wonder if they will.
enemy placement sounds like a nice thing but upgrade price is the one thing that matters. if it's higher than 15, maybe 20, then it's totally not worth it, and even at 15 it's a stretch if you didn't really like dks2, cos apparently they're not upgrading the bosses or the level design whatsoever

also that's some kickass cosplay

you can throw as many grenades as you want if you have a jammer :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dethroned has been yanked following last month's announcement that bids to secure additional funding failed.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The best (or worst) part of Payday 2 stealth is that it still counts if you just keep putting down ECM jammers while you do your thing. A good many missions can be completed by rushing objectives with jammer chains and mowing down everything. Once I realized this, Stealth became way easier. Though it won't work for longer missions, there's always the option to "go loud" in case of an emergency for the last stretch of a mission and book it while chaining the jammers.

And hey, at least they give you a silencer to start with this go-round. In the beta, it took me ~20-25 hours before I got my first silencer from the drop system and was completely incapable of doing stealth runs because of it.

Hey guys, I'm posting from my new development/gaming laptop :D. It has an i4710Q, a GTX 870 with 3GB of VRAM, 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB of HDD. No SSD, but I'll get one as soon as I find a job. The keyboard is super whack, though... It will take aome time to get used to it. It also has a fan boost function, which is great.

First game I'm installing is Dark Souls, just to see how it runs.

Dsyndrome

Hey guys, I'm posting from my new development/gaming laptop :D. It has an i4710Q, a GTX 870 with 3GB of VRAM, 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB of HDD. No SSD, but I'll get one as soon as I find a job. The keyboard is super whack, though...

First game I'm installing is Dark Souls, just to see how it runs.

Yay gaming laptops. Only way to play when I'm stuck overnight at work. Hope it runs great!

rtcn63

How much of Blood Dragon's appeal is in the atmosphere and parody atmosphere vs the actually act of playing the game?

It's a stripped down FC3, mechanics-wise. The ability to use hearts to get Blood Dragons to fight each other is pretty cool as a concept, but if you liked the variety and upgrading of weapons from FC3, you really won't find much of it in BD. And it's mostly taking over outposts under perpetual neon night, IIRC.

KarmaCow

It's a stripped down FC3, mechanics-wise. The ability to use hearts to get Blood Dragons to fight each other is pretty cool as a concept, but if you liked the variety and upgrading of weapons from FC3, you really won't find much of it in BD. And it's mostly taking over outposts under perpetual neon night, IIRC.

Alright thanks, just wondering if I should I get anything from the weekend sale.

Khronico

I want to play FC4 but it's not at the price point where I feel alright buying it (<=$20).

Should I buy FC3 to play in the meantime? It seems the trend of Ubi sales is that it will be a while till FC4 hits 60+% off.

If so, is the deluxe upgrade worth the extra 2.50?

Mista

Banned
I want to play FC4 but it's not at the price point where I feel alright buying it (<=$20).

Should I buy FC3 to play in the meantime?

If so, is the deluxe upgrade worth the extra 2.50?

FC3 >>>>> FC4

I couldnt even play 30 mins without getting bored in FC4

Chariot

Another fucking Sakura game?! Stop already!
What kind of idiots buy this crap anyways?

--
seems like reasonable way to do stealth, if everyone is dead, nobody will catch you sneaking
lol
The only one lashy could've killed were his comrades :D

you can throw as many grenades as you want if you have a jammer :p
No jammer. Only lashman. I don't know who else was there? Munchy? Goochy?

no, I didn't ... fuck you ... pffffffffff >_<
Well, yes indeed, you didn't fuck me. Never said that.

rtcn63

FC3 >>>>> FC4

I couldnt even play 30 mins without getting bored in FC4

From what I've watched and read, FC4 seems to suffer from "giving you too much shit for your own good" syndrome. Too many weapons, too little differentiation, so much money that it's all moot. FC3 had a limited selection, and half could only be got by taking over the towers, liberating so many outposts etc. There's little sense of achievement, I'm guessing. (I've played a few AC titles) Actual combat and traversal appears better though.

Don't know about the story or anything.

Khronico

I go a step further and even when im playing and not bored I still pause a game and go to the internet for like half an hour for no reason

the old laptop I just got doesnt help

When I was a kid I used to read books during the loading screens of games.

Now I surf GAF.

It's probably not doing my brain any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom