• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
so, i beat hotline miami 2 i guess? i was expecting something post credits but no such luck

i think i unlocked a hard mode (or was that always there?) but i don't really feel like playing an even less fun version of the game.

the story is cool but it feels like it's missing the extra chapters like the first game had them.

maybe hard mode has a different story or something?

overall yeah... i dunno about this game, i really like that they actually expanded the backstory and the number of characters and made it feel really distinct than the first game, but gameplay wise it felt awful for me, by the end missions i was just shooting my way through missions which is lame as all hell, and nothing about the layout of the levels or the locations or the emphasis on the different enemy types was an improvement over the first one. the masks being character exclusive also mans that maps are less interesting to replay, but i don't know if i would like to replay them in the first place

i'll try the first few levels in hard mode, see what's different, but i really don't understand the direction they took with the encounter design, it really ruined the game for me. are most people fine with it? to me it felt super boring, i was playing safe and just shooting enemies one by one and moving slowly with shift held forever since you never know when random machinegun guy is gonna kill you from off screen

very strange

Oh hey! I just found zkylon in the comments of a YouTube video. Small world.

I mean it was a Giant Bomb panel, so I guess it's not that small of a world. Either way: I agree that it's nice to have a bunch of different personalities on the crew.
haha yea sometimes i can't keep myself from commenting even if it's prolly a bad idea

Huh, I never see either of you guys in the GB thread
well it's not like i have much to say about giantbomb

i watch the vinny and alex quicklooks and skip most of the rest. i like drew and jeff and brad but i don't care much for the games they usually cover, so i don't watch them as much. dan is alright when he's not giving his opinion on things

dex3108

Best thing when you walk your dog are definitely smiles on people faces when they pass by you and look at the dog. :D

P.S. games are now cheaper in EU than in US XD

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
so, i beat hotline miami 2 i guess? i was expecting something post credits but no such luck

i think i unlocked a hard mode (or was that always there?) but i don't really feel like playing an even less fun version of the game.

the story is cool but it feels like it's missing the extra chapters like the first game had them.

maybe hard mode has a different story or something?

overall yeah... i dunno about this game, i really like that they actually expanded the backstory and the number of characters and made it feel really distinct than the first game, but gameplay wise it felt awful for me, by the end missions i was just shooting my way through missions which is lame as all hell, and nothing about the layout of the levels or the locations or the emphasis on the different enemy types was an improvement over the first one. the masks being character exclusive also mans that maps are less interesting to replay, but i don't know if i would like to replay them in the first place

i'll try the first few levels in hard mode, see what's different, but i really don't understand the direction they took with the encounter design, it really ruined the game for me. are most people fine with it? to me it felt super boring, i was playing safe and just shooting enemies one by one and moving slowly with shift held forever since you never know when random machinegun guy is gonna kill you from off screen

very strange

Hard mode seems to
double enemy count and half ammo count per gun pickup, as well as making you lose a shot every time you toss a gun?
I haven't checked myself on that last part.

What I've been doing to improve play has been using guns as a means to draw enemies to me. Fire off a shot to create noise, funnel enemies into a smaller area, then attack with a melee weapon if one's available. The gameplay is much heavier on guns than I would like, especially some of the stages with hundreds of panels of glass, but I've found a way that worked for me that didn't involve playing it safe.

I've seen some great webm's of players pulling off almost full combos of stages. It's just difficult to want to undo the manner in which HM1 trained my brain to want to handle situations. The meta has shifted, and I'm still trying to figure out if I'm happy with it or not.

Level design is nowhere near as well constructed though. The mechanics become far more flawed with such open spaces and lines of sight.

Have Steam codes for LEGO Potter Y1-4 and Y5-7.
Who wants them?

Or...you could give them to me...
BZkgGLj.gif

Dsyndrome

Whoever made Mission 3 Part 1 (Forest Compound) of Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a fucking sadist. I breathe and the Nazis are alerted to my presence, sounding ze alarm. Save scumming barely worked, since inevitably, a soldier would already have seen me and sound the alarm immediately after loading the mission.

Also don't know how I was able to jump in the truck since I just capped the soldier immediately behind it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hard mode seems to
double enemy count and half ammo count per gun pickup, as well as making you lose a shot every time you toss a gun?
I haven't checked myself on that last part.
yeahh.... prolly gonna pass it if that's the case. i never played hotline miami with highscores in mind, i just enjoyed the frenetic pace it moved at and its whole atmosphere, so really not interested in a "hard mode" if that's all there is to it

What I've been doing to improve play has been using guns as a means to draw enemies to me. Fire off a shot to create noise, funnel enemies into a smaller area, then attack with a melee weapon if one's available. The gameplay is much heavier on guns than I would like, especially some of the stages with hundreds of panels of glass, but I've found a way that worked for me that didn't involve playing it safe.
i do a bit of that, or just showing myself for a second then going back to hiding so the bad guys rush in my direction

but since everyone has a ranged way of killing you you find yourself forced to camp chokepoints and to cheese the ai like that, even more than in the first game

i didn't have many situations of like entering a room, dooring someone, throwing my weapon at one guy then punching the other guy and finishing them off one by one. that whole process of planning how you dispatched of the bad guys in a room is gone because everyone has guns so you're left with just baiting people in so you kill them one by one or shoot them from a distance

at least for a mostly casual player like myself

I've seen some great webm's of players pulling off almost full combos of stages. It's just difficult to want to undo the manner in which HM1 trained my brain to want to handle situations. The meta has shifted, and I'm still trying to figure out if I'm happy with it or not.
i imagine crafty players will find lots of cool stuff to do but the average experience was much less fun for me in particular

Level design is nowhere near as well constructed though. The mechanics become far more flawed with such open spaces and lines of sight.
yup, combat works much better in apartment buildings than it does in the hawaiian jungle (?)

and btw the locations themselves felt much less interesting to me, and some of the locations were just really bad imo

specially the night club with the nearly invisible dogs, what the hell was up with that

Don't post and you won't get banned? Solid strategy.
it's a good strategy for life in general

if you don't have anything to say then shut up :>

hard to follow tho, i put my foot in my mouth way more often than i should

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Whoever made Mission 3 Part 1 (Forest Compound) of Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a fucking sadist. I breathe and the Nazis are alerted to my presence, sounding ze alarm. Save scumming barely worked, since inevitably, a soldier would already have seen me and sound the alarm immediately after loading the mission.

Also don't know how I was able to jump in the truck since I just capped the soldier immediately behind it.
I played through that game in the last couple years too and I thought it aged horribly. I wish I had just played it on release so I had been more tolerant of situations like the one you described. Some of the bosses were pretty frustrating for me as well.

gdt

Is South Park locked to 30fps? Any way to unlock it? And I'm getting some screen tearing too dammit.....so that means I have to use Vsync in RadeonPro right?

Hmm, started a new DS save since I didn't like the decisions I last one, wasn't quite feeling it with my build, so I liked a fresh start. I'm amazed that I'm not sick of Undead Burg yet considering how many times I've went through it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hmm, started a new DS save since I didn't like the decisions I last one, wasn't quite feeling it with my build, so I liked a fresh start. I'm amazed that I'm not sick of Undead Burg yet considering how many times I've went through it.
I love how quick you can move through the opening of the game once you are familiar with it.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
When I buy things I tend to crumble like a dam.
Bought alien isolation on thursday.
Bought Broderlands: the Pre-sequel this morning.
And topped off the purchases with Life is Strange on Nuuvem just a minute ago.
Now I have to make sure to resist whatever Humble is cooking up...
But screw it, I've got some great new games and I'm excited!
PNulFNQ.gif

I love how quick you can move through the opening of the game once you are familiar with it.

Yeah, especially when you have the pyro stuff in the beginning. Makes the Asylum Demon much easier. The Taurus demon gave me a few issues in my old save though. Choice of either not taking the plunging attack or fighting in an area you're likely to fall from.

Nzyme32

*sigh* It's not as easy as I thought to be away from GAF and SteamGAF. I need to be on here less to get other stuff done, but I can't help but procrastinate here

Kanokare

Well, the store I bought my old one in had a Nighthawk. And they'd given me the option of a refund, a replacement router or an upgrade where I pay the difference.

So now I have a Nighthawk X4. It's a thing of beauty and is working brilliantly. Cheers for the help you two :)

... I'm glad they didn't have the Asus one. It would've been impossible for me to decide!

No prob! :D Hope it works out for you. I haven't had any problems with it and my friends haven't had any problems with the Asus one so yeah!

zkylon

zkylewd
i thought about getting that secret level in hotline miami 2 but you have to go through a mission with the fat guys and the dogs and the machinegun mobsters without dying and after the fifth try i'm just like fuck this shit

massive step back gameplay wise from hotline miami 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom