• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
i find it weird that the hotline miami 2 devs didn't outright remove the rape scene as it's such a pointless scene. it's gratuitous in the same way as the rest of the game is, and kind of in line with the no holds barred depiction of violence, but still, it's so unneeded so unless the publicity from the controversy is worth more than the money they got from sales in the countries it was banned in, i don't really see why they left it in.

i dunno about hotline miami 2, man, i kinda feel i was right when i thought this was a sequel that really didn't need to exist, but some things about it are really good and at least it's a good sountrack i guess

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I was hoping that would be an amusing surprise for them
Oh? Well, spring break is a week long so all I have to do is wake up early and play all day with the blackout curtains drawn.
I've only just reached Sevastopol a little bit ago
I blame our new kitten
, but I've already freaked once
due to the fire that forces you into a vent early on
. I am not proud.

0429_5xpej.gif

So good. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere.

Uzzy

Man, I feel so dirty for taking Iorveth's path in Witcher 2. Sure, I've already played through Roche's path, but he's such a bro that I kinda wanted to play through it again.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pahelika: Revelations HD -- MB-53BD1A1373C508ED - Taken by lindarasta

adventure game

zkylon

zkylewd
Man, I feel so dirty for taking Iorveth's path in Witcher 2. Sure, I've already played through Roche's path, but he's such a bro that I kinda wanted to play through it again.
nahh, iorveth's path is cool

dwarves are the best! and saskia is so cool

zkylon

zkylewd
Roche is a terrible person and commander. He is in no way a "bro" or whatever people paint him to be.

but he has that cute tiny chest!

I always heard that Iorveth's side was better. I've never even played Roche's side.
i haven't played roche either although i have always meant to

imma do my best effort to do that after i buy my new videocard, tho i'm fine with my iorveth choice since i got a thing for resistance fighters so i'm a scoiatel fan

Trying to find summons to help me out at the bell gargoyles but I think I made a mistake not getting them earlier.

Currently SL185 and no summon in sight.
Gonna wait a bit but it looks like it will be a one-man show.

It may be a unique feature but I still think the ability to invite specific friends to co-op would make Souls games only better.

zkylon

zkylewd
Trying to find summons to help me out at the bell gargoyles but I think I made a mistake not getting them earlier.

It may be a unique feature but I still think the ability to invite specific friends to co-op would make Souls games only better.

nahh, don't be silly

the whole point of the souls games is that you're alone and helpless, summoning is an aid but the game is not meant to be played "coop"

Zafir

Well, to be fair, they made that easier to do in Dark Souls 2. You can buy a ring from the cat vendor in Majula iirc, and then choose an option at the vendor and your summon sign will only appear those with a ring, who have also chosen your choice.

Uzzy

I always heard that Iorveth's side was better. I've never even played Roche's side.

I've heard great things about Iorveth's path, so I'm playing his now to experience that. But still, Roche is awesome. Further, it always made sense to me that Geralt would side with Roche. Roche
saves you from prison and death
, whereas Iorveth
aided the person who's actions put you in prison.
So you kinda owe Roche a lot.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Alien update: Only at
Immigration office
thus far. Very tense, makes every save point a strong consideration on whether to continue playing. In that way it's reminding me of when I played TWD season 1.

Zafir

Yeah I went Iorveth's side. I was always meaning to go through Roche's side but I just never got round to it. Maybe I'll do it just before Witcher 3 comes out to refresh my memory.

Parsnip

i find it weird that the hotline miami 2 devs didn't outright remove the rape scene as it's such a pointless scene. it's gratuitous in the same way as the rest of the game is, and kind of in line with the no holds barred depiction of violence, but still, it's so unneeded so unless the publicity from the controversy is worth more than the money they got from sales in the countries it was banned in, i don't really see why they left it in.
I haven't played it, but is the scene the one
that's on a movie set, and when it starts the director shouts cut?

GWVjo.jpg

Fuck Iorveth

rochegifkq9b.gif

I was fully erect for this cutscene.

I still need to go back to Witcher 2 and play the Roche path.
Some day...

Some impressions for Chronicles of a Dark Lord Episode I: The Phantom Menace Tides of Fate:

The story: Makes little to no sense. From what I understood, the prologue went something like this: "First two continents were smashed together somehow and became one big continent. Then there was a big war. After that, things were really good. Then a dark sorcerer unleashed some Dark Gods (no reason given) and the world was ravaged again. The forces of Light and Darkness formed an alliance to banish these Dark Gods (cause, you know, that's totally a thing the forces of Darkness would want to do?) But some of these dark gods stuck around and presumably gave their blessing to, or fathered, some people of great power. One of them is you, and also your father." Yeah, I didn't get it either. Anyway, you start out at level 25, try to prove yourself to your father by usurping his command on a battlefireld, getting a direct blessing from one of these Dark Gods, becoming "max level," slaughtering everyone and banishing your father to an island. Then another cutscene where you're described as an unstoppable force, until you reach some other kingdoms which hand your ass to you, you lose your godly blessing, but STILL somehow found an empire...only now you're level 1 and only have a long sword. I guess they wanted him to be a badass and at the same time start you at level 1. They punctuate this badassery by putting someone in pretty much every town who badmouths you and who you subsequently kill. In rarer instances, you're given a choice to spare them (and get an item) or kill them (and discover nothing on their corpse.) It's internally inconsistent: kill people left and right, because that's your character, but get rewarded when you break character.

And don't even get me started on the country that's run by two of your lesbian daughters who married each other.

The gameplay: It's very RPGMaker. Go to a castle, get told where your next destination is, stock up in town, occasional sidequest, go to the "dungeon" (which isn't a maze so much as a corridor with a few branching paths for chests,) fight a boss, repeat. This sort of thing can be excused IF it's got other things going for it: good balanced combat. Good level design. A good story. Interesting characters. This game has none of those. The combat has one of those little bar-fill things to indicate who's going next, which is cool when it works. Sometimes you and the enemy will be able to go at the same time, at which point they'll get a hit in while you're selecting a move. That sometimes means that while you're trying to cast a spell, they'll hit you with a sleep status effect and you lose your turn. Speaking of status effects, the enemies will manage to get one on you maybe half the time when they try - and they try a LOT. Yours on the other hand will hit about 10% of the time. Enemy statuses happen so often I had my healers fix poison and not bother with the rest even if it meant my character was paralyzed and couldn't do anything for the rest of combat. Why bother when you'll only get paralyzed again? MP restoring is scarce! Also, the combat absolutely hinges on whether or not you upgraded your gear at the town. If you did, combat is long but basically trivial. If you forgot, it's basically impossible. I had to delete a forum post whereby I asked about recommended levels to beat a boss that was one-shotting the party with spells, only to remember that I hadn't visited the town.

It doesn't have good level design, ESPECIALLY the overworld. The overworld is a series of circles or squares that contain nothing but a town, a castle, a sidequest area like a forest or pier, and a bridge to the next area. It looks like something I would do, because I'm terribly uncreative and a horrible designer. And most of it is default textures! Oh, speaking of which, and as I was about to get into the characters...

The graphics and characters: Looks like mostly default textures. Since this game is about you and your apparently large family (I don't know if you have a lot of cousins, a lot of brothers and sisters, or you fuck like a damn jackrabbit) there are a lot of black-haired pale-skinned characters with the last name Lee. My party currently consists of three Lees, two of which look almost identical but for slight difference in hairstyle, and a redhead who is my second wife or something. It gets confusing, especially when the characters all seem to have the same personality. I did enjoy one character, that of Krysta Aier, a blonde knight-commander with an eyepatch and a family history of insanity. Her weird mannerisms, comic relief and actual distinctive look were a good respite, so naturally they take her away after one chapter.

The length: Well, I put about three thousand hours into this game...*checks again* oh, I actually only put in 7. It just felt like three thousand. The store page boasts a 25-hour campaign. If I'm seriously only a third of the way through...damn. And to think, there's a chapter 2! It's just a samey drag that - and I can't believe I'm saying this - actually could have benefitted by being shorter! Or maybe I just wish battles didn't take as long as they do.

The verdict: It's currently 3 bucks and change on Steam. There are RPGMaker games out there that are better written, with better combat, with better level design, and with better characters. Unless you really want the cards, or have a fetish for lesbian incest or something, it's not even worth that price.

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't played it, but is the scene the one
that's on a movie set, and when it starts the director shouts cut?

GWVjo.jpg

it is

and it sets up the whole movie scene style for the game that's reinforced in the menus and whatever, but it could work just as well without the rape, as it does in the other scenes that allude to the whole game being a "movie" or not being real

and like rape is not something that's often a subject in videogames which is why i wonder why they felt like they wanted to add it but then make it such a throwaway thing, like any other kill in the game. i mean the whole thing gets stopped before the nasty parts can take place, which i guess says a bit that they don't want to fully go there but at the same time i don't know why it is there in the first place, as there was a bit of touching the violence against women subject already in the first game and maybe in this one too if memory doesn't fail me.

it just feels like something thrown in for controversy's sake, or to just push the whole thing even further to whatever filth they can lol. it's not particularly offensive, but it's not adding anything meaningful either, which could easily be done by contextualizing it better and not just dedicating it like 5 minutes of screen time at best. analogue: a hate story and hate plus both deal with themes of rape in a very mature way and it's fine, so it's not like taboo or whatever, just don't do a half ass job like, at least from my initial impressions, hotline miami 2 did, and specially considering how solid and uncompromising their "statement" on general violence is

btw i don't think all of this is spoiler tag worthy cos it's literally the first scene of the game, i'm really not spoiling anything for whoever hasn't played it, maybe a bit if you haven't played hotline miami 1, but you probably don't care about this topic if you haven't. maybe a bit about analogue/hate plus but you ppl deserve it for not playing it!

Hope you all enjoy this!

I am giving away a Steam emoticon. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (someguyinahat, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

NeoGAF Steam Emoticon -- MB-94662AF81E4BFDFC - Taken by kurahador. 28 entrants total.
Winner will need to add me as a friend on Steam if they aren't already and we'll do the transaction then

t1426562329z1.png

Salsa

the HUD in Alien is hella dumb

why is it even there if it's pretty much useless and your game is all about immersion

really odd decision

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
game is gonna give me a heart attack anyway

You and me both. I haven't even seen the alien yet; still scared of clatter and beeps.

Sorry, chum, I thought in this instance "no juniors" was appropriate because they might not stick around and/or if they get banned it's permanent. I wanted someone who's been around a while on GAF to have it.

I understand the reasoning.

Man that ancient dragon. Went alone and got him down to about 40% but it was only one misjudgement it took.

What a bummer.

He is only optional but it nags.

today i had a dream that i got stuck in the world's geometry like irl

Reminds me of the time that a bird managed to no-clip into our house. The room it was in was closed with no access to any other room, no holes in a triple-brick wall, windows firmly shut...and yet there it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom