• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

I'm guessing that Valve has been testing and iterating on this thing for years now and settled on a design that's uncomfortable for people to hold.

Tell that to someone with a terminal illness.

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Zeknurn

Looks more than fine here, although I'd be cool with them replacing the analog stick with a proper d-pad.

They tried a dedicated dpad and I guess they realized that the trackpad is enough to mimic the behavior of one and that adding an analogue stick was far more useful.

Day one for me.

derExperte

Glossy surfaces are bad on the OG 3DS. They are bad on the Vita. They are bad on the PS4 pad. They are bad on the New 3DS XL. They will be bad on the Steam Controller. I don't understand.

dex3108

Holy shit

HTC and Valve saved their best demo for last. The spokesperson told me that he would keep quiet from then on and I was to follow the instructions given. As the scene faded from black, I found myself in a very familiar environment. I could feel myself smiling, grinning from ear to ear. I couldn't help myself. I was in an Aperture Science testing facility. Yes, I was inside the world of Portal.

It looked as if I was in some kind of repair room. A disembodied voice came over the speakers and told me to open a drawer. I looked around me, saw some built-in drawers and walked over to them. I opened a drawer, only to see blueprints and tools. The voice said I opened the wrong one, so I tried again. This time, I saw a moldy cake. Apparently that was the wrong one also, so I opened another one. It contained tiny, little cutout people at tiny, little office desks who went berserk at the sight of me. The disembodied voice told me that I had made a mistake and that I was now their god.

Suddenly, Atlas awakened, and lumbered toward the room. It was so imposing and realistic that I backed away instinctively from the door.
Giving up on me, the voice then told me to walk across the room and pull on a lever. I did that and a giant door opened. Behind it were two of Portal 2's androids, Atlas and P-Body, lying on the floor broken and in disrepair. Suddenly, Atlas awakened, and lumbered toward the room. It was so imposing and realistic that I backed away instinctively from the door. The voice then told me to press on a button to expand its components so that I could repair it. I did so, pulling on its front exterior to expose its electronic guts. The next thing the voice told me to do was so complicated and full of technical jargon that I knew it was impossible. The voice told me to keep calm while also warning me with increasing urgency that if I didn't accomplish the task in time, I would fail.

And, of course, I did. Atlas collapsed on the floor with great noise and fanfare; the floor gave way and the room started to fall apart around me. I was told in a deadpan manner that I was now not qualified to do anything. Then, a familiar voice popped up. It was GladOS, Portal's AI antagonist, wondering out loud how a robot could possibly fail this simple mission until a camera popped by and saw me, to which she responded, "Oh." As the room started to get rebuilt around me, she said that I had done well as far as humans go, and that I was relieved of my duties. The demo then faded out to an outro and it was over.

But I didn't want it to be. I wanted to stay in that world. I wanted to keep playing. I wanted now, very badly, to play Portal 2 in virtual reality. It was the most immersive experience, and frankly, the most fun I've had with a VR headset strapped on my head. The ability to walk around the room and directly interact with objects around me makes a huge difference. It's made me a convert to VR.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154590889&postcount=50

jediyoshi

Dreamfall Chapters looks tasty, but I read that it has about 6 hours gameplay?

It's an episodic game that hasn't fully been released, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The first episode is longer than what you'd get out of something from a Telltale game though

Dr Dogg

Oh so we have a ghetto thread for this month, not that anyone would have read my AssCreed Rogue recommendation :(

Though working away for a few days it was relief to get back to a PC with more than 2gb of RAM. That and episode 2 of RE Rev 2 was soooo good. Also looks like time to flog my aging GPU's and get a second mortgage for a Titan X

Arthea

Oh so we have a ghetto thread for this month, not that anyone would have read my AssCreed Rogue recommendation :(

Though working away for a few days it was relief to get back to a PC with more than 2gb of RAM. That and episode 2 of RE Rev 2 was soooo good. Also looks like time to flog my aging GPU's and get a second mortgage for a Titan X

I would read it! You still can submit your opus to bosstones man
also where have you been?

If you consider any of the pre PS4 DS's comfortable your opinion is invalid. You may also be a mutant.

I don't, I said they overdid curving part!
but I probably still am a mutant, seeing how many of you like controllers that kill my hands

derExperte

Closest we got were sixaxis, they overdid curving part, though and xbox 360 controller, all others failed.

If you consider any of the pre PS4 DS's comfortable in any way your opinion is invalid. You may also be a mutant. Like that black dude from Total Recall. With the claws or whatever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PS2 one was amazing.

I just had to refresh my memory of looking at the DS2 vs the DS3 and they look exactly the same ergonomically as they did in my memory. And having used a DS3 heavily in the last month and reminding myself how garbage it is, I'm not really understanding how the PS2 one could qualify as "amazing."

Knurek

no, just no, Knurek pls, we can't go down this road again

I have large hands, how is that my fault your tiny angel fingers can't handle the DualShock 2 awesomeness...

I just had to refresh my memory of looking at the DS2 vs the DS3 and they look exactly the same ergonomically as they did in my memory. And having used a DS3 heavily in the last month and reminding myself how garbage it is, I'm not really understanding how the PS2 one could qualify as "amazing."

No triggers. Analog button for disabling the sticks.
Best pad for pure 2D games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Trading card support has been added to Ori's store page. There is a god!

(I still think the dev who posts here has me on his ignore list for some reason.)

rtcn63

I have smaller hands and one was permanently damaged by a pitbull. I have a difficult time lifting boxes (since most of the weight is over the fingers) but can lift dumbbells up to a point.

Also the Dualshock is fairly comfy and writing is very painful for me.

Copons

If you consider any of the pre PS4 DS's comfortable in any way your opinion is invalid. You may also be a mutant. Like that black dude from Total Recall. With the claws or whatever.

Most definitely.

I've been playing on PC with a Sixaxis, because I cannot bother buying an adapter for the X360 one and anyway controllers are expensive motherfuckers, and I've been cursing every single day of my gaming life.
Also, I've been cursing on PS3, PS2 and PS1 too.

Screw everything, someone should mod another shoulder button and a proper right analog into a GC controller and then make it native Xinput. Only then I'll be happy.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Most definitely.

I've been playing on PC with a Sixaxis, because I cannot bother buying an adapter for the X360 one and anyway controllers are expensive motherfuckers, and I've been cursing every single day of my gaming life.
Also, I've been cursing on PS3, PS2 and PS1 too.

Screw everything, someone should mod another shoulder button and a proper right analog into a GC controller and then make it native Xinput. Only then I'll be happy.

you truly are one grumpy motherfucker ;)

zkylon

zkylewd
You can date lashman and zkylon at the same time!

-___-

You could have also just changed the bios settings from the card to onboard. Device manager should have the specs.
couldn't find it in the bios

i'm no good at this shit

I won't be playing it now, I need to finish something like 100 games, that was my this years resolution, so it kinda doesn't make sense buying now, only your, Jasec's and zky's raving how great it is, makes it hard, yes :)
look for cheese's recommendation to get pushed over the edge

Be sure to update your integrated graphics drivers from Intel's website. If you've been using a GPU all this time chances are the integrated graphics drivers are woefully out of date.
yeah i didn't even have the onboard card's drivers installed

i guess imma do that then

Shadownet

Banned
Shadow should get a one-time pass since Russia fell into the ocean at the end of The Phantom Menace.

I didn't win a copy from him :p.
I don't get that reference.. But then again I've always been a bigger Star Trek fan.

Did he say he was no longer going to honour that?
No, I'm going to try to at least. I gotta find my list of winners again. Its somewhere on my PC.

I don't want to let GAF down with my promise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Been having some great Steam customer service lately.

February:
Sent a polite request, didn't get a response for three weeks, got the "we're going to close your ticket because we have too many tickets to answer unless you write us back to ask us to answer your ticket", did so immediately, got a response saying no to my request. (Thanks Walter!)

Put in two separate bug reports, neither of which has got a response. Got an email today from the first of the two saying "we're going to close your ticket because we have too many tickets to answer unless you write us back to ask us to answer your ticket", did so immediately.

👎👎👎

I wish Valve had a bug reporting system separate from their support system, even if it was limited to people who had successfully reported reproducible bugs in the past or who had established credentials as programmers or anything else.

I actually think Valve could gain a lot from open sourcing some of the client and allowing developers to submit fixes (obviously reject feature submissions or whatever if you want to control the client's evolution). They'd even get a free security audit out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom