• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Okay, so hypothetically, if I've never played a wrpg or crpg before, how lost would I be in Pillars of Eternity

You're going to be fine - just go into the game with an open mind and pay close attention to the game's early tutorials. Talk to everyone you can, especially in the first area, because they'll give you the information you need to "learn the ropes". Take your time and become as immersed as possible for the best experience.

Good luck!

For those of us that got bamboozled out of the PoE giveaways, where is the cheapest place to currently buy PoE? Is there some crazy Nuuvem deal or something?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
WbTlj3Z.jpg

Arthea

I get the sense that it gets a lot of love because

A) last gen really didn't have any legit JRPGs of better-than-middling quality, especially when people like myself were playing FFXIII and wondering where the hell the open world went
B) it was all of that on the Wii, which left a lot to be desired if you were a hobbyist gamer.
C) it had an extremely tight print run and was only sold through one retailer.

so you add all those factors together, seems like a lot of the love it got was based on how rare a game like Xenoblade was, both as far as gameplay design and actually finding a physical copy of the game are concerned.

I don't agree with this, I still think that Lost Odyssey is a great game, like one of the best, don't understand all hate it used to get, only reason I can think of is being Xbox360 exclusive.
The same goes for Trails, how is it not legit? As legit as it gets. Again being on PSP didn't help, but still.

as for Xenoblade worship, I do agree that less amount of JRPGs especially good ones we got led to it.

Deitus

I'm weirdly excited about Xenoblade port on the N3DS, which is about as niche a thing to be excited for as anything. So it fits perfectly here with steamgaf since i think it's kinda anime and has some waifus i think, never played it so i dont know.

I don't think I could play that game on the 3DS. It already feels like it's being held back by the Wii's low resolution (though I suppose the poly count and textures aren't that great either), that playing on a 3DS screen sounds like a nightmare. But then I've never seen it actually running on a 3DS screen, so it might look better than I imagine. I'm not opposed to playing games on my 3DS mind you, just I prefer games that are designed around the screen, rather than games that are downgraded to port to it. But then I don't really have a lot of opportunity to play handheld games on the go, so if I'm playing a game from the comfort of my home, I'll pick the version that looks/plays better. People who travel a lot, or who can play games on their commute might have different priorities.

I need to get back into Xenoblade though. I was enjoying what I played of it (though I'm not far), but I no longer have access to a Wii Classic controller, and for some dumbass reason none of the Wii U control options are available when playing Wii games. So my only choice to continue playing is to play with a Wii remote, or buy a Wii Classic controller that will only ever be used for this one game. That has killed my drive to play further.

I skim here and there as well when there are too many pages, though these days I find it pretty manageable. The horror of going to sleep on the last page and waking up to 30-40 new pages is something I don't miss from the old threads.

Oh yeah, that was brutal. In those days, I never even attempted to catch up, because it was completely futile. These days it is mostly manageable, but even then 6-8 hours of posts can be difficult to get through when you have a limited time. Plus, with the giveaway madness that happened last night, the post count exploded.

I don't agree with this, I still think that Lost Odyssey is a great game, like one of the best, don't understand all hate it used to get, only reason I can think of is being Xbox360 exclusive.
The same goes for Trails, how is it not legit? As legit as it gets. Again being on PSP didn't help, but still.

as for Xenoblade worship, I do agree that less amount of JRPGs especially good ones we got led to it.

Well, i should've clarified that i was speaking solely about the consoles, not handhelds. Handhelds had plenty of great JRPGs, yeah.

And I tried to like Lost Odyssey as someone who liked JRPGs and enjoyed Sakaguchi's output since the SNES days...but i couldn't. It was so slow, both from a gameplay and story perspective and I just found myself tapping out after 4-5 hours out of sheer boredom. and I'm a dude that finished FFXIII so clearly i can handle a not-great and middling RPG so me quitting LO says a lot about how i felt about that experience.

I don't think I could play that game on the 3DS. It already feels like it's being held back by the Wii's low resolution (though I suppose the poly count and textures aren't that great either), that playing on a 3DS screen sounds like a nightmare. But then I've never seen it actually running on a 3DS screen, so it might look better than I imagine. I'm not opposed to playing games on my 3DS mind you, just I prefer games that are designed around the screen, rather than games that are downgraded to port to it. But then I don't really have a lot of opportunity to play handheld games on the go, so if I'm playing a game from the comfort of my home, I'll pick the version that looks/plays better. People who travel a lot, or who can play games on their commute might have different priorities.

I need to get back into Xenoblade though. I was enjoying what I played of it (though I'm not far), but I no longer have access to a Wii Classic controller, and for some dumbass reason none of the Wii U control options are available when playing Wii games. So my only choice to continue playing is to play with a Wii remote, or buy a Wii Classic controller that will only ever be used for this one game. That has killed my drive to play further.

Having never played the OG version before and absolutely loving how portables handle suspend/resume, i feel like it's going to be a perfect fit on the machine. I won't know what i missed and i have it on a platform that better suits my playstyle so i can pick up the game at any time and put it down just as soon.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
probably a little lost. you'll have to do a lot of reading and figuring things out
That's what I thought. I'll probably go through the two OTs to see if they can help me.

i dunno, depends on how well the game handles it tutorials really. My first experience was with KOTOR on the xbox and, really, that was like the perfect introduction to the BG/Infinity engine style of wrpgs since it had a great story and worked well on a controller.
I actually got KOTOR from that humble bundle too, I haven't tried it yet though. I don't have a controller, does it play comfortably with just a keyboard?

You're going to be fine - just go into the game with an open mind and pay close attention to the game's early tutorials. Talk to everyone you can, especially in the first area, because they'll give you the information you need to "learn the ropes". Take your time and become as immersed as possible for the best experience.

Good luck!
Ah, good advice. Usually I'd just run off without talking to people because I'm impatient. Thanks!

Hyper lost

I'd take that key off your hands, always happy to help out a fellow GAFfer
My bad, I already activated the key. :'(

I was incredibly tempted to do an anon giveaway just for the fallout of it though.

derExperte

gamersgate.com
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Rise Of The Owlverlord €1.00
The Raven – Legacy of a Master Thief Digital Deluxe Edition €6.00 (normal is 5€)

I actually got KOTOR from that humble bundle too, I haven't tried it yet though. I don't have a controller, does it play comfortably with just a keyboard?

AFAIK the PC version doesnt have native controller support and is just KB&M so you should be fine! I *think* they released an update with higher quality CG cutscenes (they did this for either KOTOR1 or 2, dont remember which) and i'm not sure if that's included in the base steam version so you might want to look into it.

besides that, it's very much an infinity engine game for babies. It's not really hard, it's got a great story (considered by many to be one of the best wRPG stories ever and a terrific star wars story), and since it plays from a 3rd person perspective it'll feel more familiar to someone who is trying the genre for the first time.

Nuuvem or 25$ through a backer (20$ if they buy three keys).

So I am trying the Nuuvem route, only bought one thing from there and I didn't need a vpn. This time it wont let me add to cart. I tried Hola (never used before)

Went to hola.org and changed to brazil and put in Nuuvem.com and it still won't let me add to cart.

Tizoc

I'm hyped for last 8 years!
yeah, SC is already 8 years old and only now we will get to play it.

Hey man how do you think I feel about Metal Wolf Chaos HD? The wait will be worth it and you know it.
Just get more hype than usual.

Dr Dogg

Resonance of Fate shits on FF13. That's all.

Story is a bit all over the place but I did like the semi episodic structure of it. Though it did kind of leave it until right until late in the game to drop the crux of the plot in your lap. Still I did quite like the tile based 'world map' and tri-Ace makes some of the best battle mechanics in JRPG's. Also the end game dungeon, Candyland, is suitably hard if you're after a challenge. Well all that and you can play dress up too.

madjoki

So I am trying the Nuuvem route, only bought one thing from there and I didn't need a vpn. This time it wont let me add to cart. I tried Hola (never used before)

Went to hola.com and changed to brazil and put in Nuuvem.com and it still won't let me add to cart.

Nuuvem has banned Brazil Hola proxy. Paraguy & Argentina should work thought.

yuraya

So many games getting so many good reviews so far this year. Its getting wild.

And we still have MGSV, AK, W3, Zelda, Halo, and Star Fox later in the year. If all those get great praise from the media/gamers we may very well have another 2004/1998 on our hands. I kinda still doubt it will happen but the start of the year has turned into goodness so far. Only thing missing is a Valve game of some kind :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Story is a bit all over the place but I did like the semi episodic structure of it. Though it did kind of leave it until right until late in the game to drop the crux of the plot in your lap. Still I did quite like the tile based 'world map' and tri-Ace makes some of the best battle mechanics in JRPG's. Also the end game dungeon, Candyland, is suitably hard if you're after a challenge. Well all that and you can play dress up too.

The story of the party members was nice but the main plot was bit hard to follow at first playthrough but it was a fun romp. Weapon customization was awesome and the dress up options were great. Gameplay was easy to play once you understand the systems and subsystems. (Also extremely easy to grind if you know the right places) The world of the game was actually interesting to explore thanks to the title based structure and despite some difficulty pikes the game managed to be fair for most of the part. (Also didnt the game had like 10 difficulty settings?)

Phinor

Biggest news of the year, if not of the decade and no one has mentioned this yet! Eastside Hockey Manager is coming back, TODAY!

You love your weird anime games and visual novels, but for me EHM is top 3 time wasted of all time game. There might not be another soul in Neogaf who cares about this game, but damn if Bloodborne&Pillars of Eternity didn't just go from most anticipated of the year to (almost) irrelevant for the time being. This is bigger than Half-life 3, bigger than Chuck Norris. This is.. okay, I'll go away now.

r3n4ud

Biggest news of the year, if not of the decade and no one has mentioned this yet! Eastside Hockey Manager is coming back, TODAY!

You love your weird anime games and visual novels, but for me EHM is top 3 time wasted of all time game. There might not be another soul in Neogaf who cares about this game, but damn if Bloodborne&Pillars of Eternity didn't just go from most anticipated of the year to (almost) irrelevant for the time being. This is bigger than Half-life 3, bigger than Chuck Norris. This is.. okay, I'll go away now.
In EA. You forgot to mention EA >:/

Dr Dogg

The story of the party members was nice but the main plot was bit hard to follow at first playthrough but it was a fun romp. Weapon customization was awesome and the dress up options were great. Gameplay was easy to play once you understand the systems and subsystems. (Also extremely easy to grind if you know the right places) The world of the game was actually interesting to explore thanks to the title based structure and despite some difficulty pikes the game managed to be fair for most of the part. (Also didnt the game had like 10 difficulty settings?)

Yeah there's quite a few and I think there's an unlockable difficult maybe as well. Put it this way while it took me 4 years to finish FFXIII in contrast I knocked out Resonance of Fate in 45 hours over 4 days and then sunk another 15 hours mopping up. Really couldn't put that game down.

Phinor

In EA. You forgot to mention EA >:/

That's fair. I usually dislike EA but they aren't really building a new game with this release, just fixing and tweaking what they had with EHM2007 so it will probably be quite complete as it is. But it will be early access so it remains to be seen what state the game is at right now.

Arthea

tri-Ace praise? It's like music for my ears, although I must say that RoF is hella repetitive, I still would buy it third time on steam.
I liked SO4 more btw
don't hate me, I don't mean characters or story, only gameplay in general, in all other regards RoF is superior

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
tri-Ace praise? It's like music for my ears, although I must say that RoF is hella repetitive, I still would buy it third time on steam.
I liked SO4 more btw
don't hate me, I don't mean characters or story, only gameplay in general, in all other regards RoF is superior

SO4 was so by the numbers and while the gameplay was alright Tales of Graces F beats it on that department rendering it useless. Kay?

r3n4ud

That's fair. I usually dislike EA but they aren't really building a new game with this release, just fixing and tweaking what they had with EHM2007 so it will probably be quite complete as it is. But it will be early access so it remains to be seen what state the game is at right now.
I was just picking on you :p

Pretty excited for this. Will pick it up once it's out of EA.

abracadaver

Shadow Warrior 64bit update coming next week:

"Grasshoppers!

We are happy to announce that the wait is soon to be over.
The 64-bit update for Shadow Warrior will hit Steam next week!

The new version of the game uses either a 32-bit or a 64-bit executable and DirectX11 for Windows Vista or later. This update should give the game a significant performance boost.

The previous version of Shadow Warrior, using DirectX9 will still work on Windows XP 32-bit systems - so don't be afraid that it stops running.

We have also included an additional bossfight with Zilla (be sure to check it out!) as well as some minor bugfixes.

I will let you know when the patch goes live."

http://steamcommunity.com/games/233130/announcements/detail/168097436220655928

I liked SO4 more btw

I liked SO4 a lot gameplay wise, I didn't finish it tho.

Will savegames be compatible between the two versions? I'm currently playing it and I would like to toggle to the new version for the new Zilla ending. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom