• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been researching the upcoming situation regarding Firefox and changes it will be making to extensions and their development / deployment practices in the near future.

I've come to the decision that Enhanced Steam will no longer be developed for Mozilla Firefox. There is simply far too much time and effort that goes into developing a Firefox compatible version of Enhanced Steam, and the new policies Mozilla is putting in place will increase this workload further.

The existing version (7.3) will be the final Firefox release. It will remain available for download, although it may not be able to be installed on versions of Firefox higher than 38. This includes Firefox 39 which enters the Aurora channel early next week.

My intention is to take the extra development time that I would normally give to Firefox and instead spend that time further developing the Enhanced Steam Standalone application. I'm hoping that by the time Firefox 40 reaches release status later this year (currently scheduled for Aug 11, 2015) the Standalone application will be a viable and feature-rich alternative for those who do not wish to change browsers to continue using Enhanced Steam.

that's fair. I'm more of a firefox type of guy but i've got chrome on my computer specifically due to idle master and enhanced steam. I'd just suggest you put that in bold writing and maybe even go so far as to eventually remove the firefox downloads to remove any possible future emails for support for that plugin but, hey, i leave that to you to figure out.

Dr Dogg

That show was such a mess after the second season. IIRC, when she became pregnant in real life the writers killed her character off only to bring her back a season or two later.

Hey Harold Bishop got offed only to turn up again with amnesia 2 or 3 years later. Granted you didn't see him die on screen, just his glasses on the rocks next to the tide coming in with Madge crying out 'Aaarrold!'.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
hmm ... DOA5 game page is missing from the search results (you can still get to it if you have the link, though) .... interesting ...

and it's also missing from the "coming soon" section

another delay?

Turfster

hmm ... DOA5 game page is missing from the search results (you can still get to it if you have the link, though) .... interesting ...

"Well if people are going to complain about our glorious PC port, might as well not give it to them!"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

PC gamers hurt KT's feelings and now the game is going to be pulled. :(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
that's fair. I'm more of a firefox type of guy but i've got chrome on my computer specifically due to idle master and enhanced steam. I'd just suggest you put that in bold writing and maybe even go so far as to eventually remove the firefox downloads to remove any possible future emails for support for that plugin but, hey, i leave that to you to figure out.

Yes, the Firefox page will eventually get taken down. Firefox 39 is releasing with a "warning dialog" for installing extensions outside of AMO that haven't been signed by Mozilla and (if I'm reading correctly) can't be installed from sites not using SSL. Firefox 40 will be completely blocking these extension installs, regardless of whether they're installed over SSL or not.

Some time between the release of 39 and 40, I'll have the website set up in such a way that Firefox users will no longer be directed to the dedicated Firefox download page and will instead be directed to the Standalone installation site.

lashman

"we shouldn't have told them it was a crappy port ahead of time. we must learn from the other japanese publishers and just withhold all details until our game launches."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey Harold Bishop got offed only to turn up again with amnesia 2 or 3 years later. Granted you didn't see him die on screen, just his glasses on the rocks next to the tide coming in with Madge crying out 'Aaarrold!'.

It took me a few moments to realise what you're talking about, haha. I was a Home & Away kid. ;)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

another delay?

Another DLC Pack pls.

b12Ueck.jpg

I'm ready.

recettear is less of a kyaa kyaa game and more of like an uguu thing

I don't know what the fuck you just said.

If you ain't playing with two other people to break every puzzle, you simply ain't Trine.

I guess I didn't play Tr....

...oh I see what you did there. touche.

titch

I've come to the decision that Enhanced Steam will no longer be developed for Mozilla Firefox.

That moment when you realise the girl you have spent years with is not the one, you don't want to leave, the familiarity, the security, the past.

Deep down you know that one day you will have to leave for both your own sakes.

Poor firefox she looks so happy and content just now, sitting with a pair of comfy slippers, watching her favourite tv program with not a care in the world.

Dark days ahead dark days indeed.

That show was such a mess after the second season. IIRC, when she became pregnant in real life the writers killed her character off only to bring her back a season or two later.

Yeah that show was pretty dumb after the first and sort of the second season. Great premise, but they pushed a 2 season show into 4 or 5.

Hey, it looks like they're finally doing something about people shitting on reviewers for having a different opinion than the one they want by closing that Bloodborne thread. I used to love going in those threads and pushing people's buttons because they couldn't handle the notion that someone didn't like the game they hadn't played yet.

I guess that's progress.

lashman

well, well, well ... Harmonix is sending out a survey about Rock Band 4 ... and along the way you can actually select "I'd rather play the game on PC" ...

damn ... I hope A LOT of people select that one ....

tmarg

Hey, it looks like they're finally doing something about people shitting on reviewers for having a different opinion than the one they want by closing that Bloodborne thread. I used to love going in those threads and pushing people's buttons because they couldn't handle the notion that someone didn't like the game they hadn't played yet.

I guess that's progress.

It has a 93 metacritic. How many bad reviews can there possibly be?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That moment when you realise the girl you have spent years with is not the one, you don't want to leave, the familiarity, the security, the past.

Deep down you know that one day you will have to leave for both your own sakes.

Poor firefox she looks so happy and content just now, sitting with a pair of comfy slippers, watching her favourite tv program with not a care in the world.

Dark days ahead dark days indeed.

It's funny you put it that way, because that's exactly how I felt when arriving at this decision. I mean, the majority of people wouldn't be affected by this until August, and maybe Mozilla will have a change of heart before then. But then I think about all the extra work that's required (even without submitting the extension through AMO and having to be approved) and I wondered if it's even worth doing, knowing that in a few short months none of that work would even matter.

On average, I spend between 15-25 hours porting features to Firefox during each release. So it's like working a part time job for a week, and it's something I used to do every 3 weeks or so.

The latest version I've been working on for Chrome has some massively significant changes that are taking place. I've been taking these changes slowly and they've been becoming more and more complex in the last few months since 7.3 was released. Even if I decided it was ready for release today, I'd probably have to spend about 20 hours porting these changes over to Firefox and prepping a simultaneous release. Maybe it's because I've experienced a death in the family recently, but I honestly feel like those same 20 hours would be better spent doing things with the people that are important in my life. And if not that, I still feel those same 20 hours could be better spent further developing the Chrome version of Enhanced Steam.

lashman

Did my part, I would be super happy if it came to PC and my old 360 instruments worked.

well they already are USB (well, the wired ones are :p and I guess the wireless ones would work with the X360 adapter) so I see no reason why they wouldn't

but then again - I guess they'd have to make new wireless ones for Xbone and PS4 anyway

Parsnip

Join Google's army of drones, or be crushed into dust and throw to the wind. The great internet browser purge is coming.

sauron_eye_barad_dur_by_xbladem6x-d8nbg7k.jpg

But Chrome sucks.
Every now and then I give it a go and see if I can replicate my browsing experience in it, and every time it comes up short.

It feels weird to say, but Spartan is actually intriguing. Dark times indeed.

fantomena

Well that DOA5 port is a sounds like a horrendous piece of shit who doesn't give a bloody crap about PC gamers. So no value was lost if DOA5 is delayed infinetly.

well they already are USB (well, the wired ones are :p and I guess the wireless ones would work with the X360 adapter) so I see no reason why they wouldn't

I sure hope so, I have 2 guitars, drums with pro cymbals and double bass pedal and 3 mics with mic stands, and a keyboard, SO I AM SET SIR!

lashman

But Chrome sucks.
Every now and then I give it a go and see if I can replicate my browsing experience in it, and every time it comes up short.

*high five*

same here ... I've tried to switch to chrome at least a dozen times (not even kidding) ... and each time I just keep going back to FF after a few days ... Chrome is just unbearable for me

I guess that's progress.

If you mean the IGN one, the guy took 12 hours to beat the first boss and didn't find any shortcuts. He may have some valid complaints, like consumables that don't replenish after failing a boss fight thereby making progress even harder, but overall, he sucked.

jshackles

But Chrome sucks.

If Spartan holds true to it's "Chrome extension developers don't need to do anything different" mantra, then there will probably be Enhanced Steam for Spartan soon after the browser releases.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Keeping up with GAF and games is getting harder as I get more focused on classes and social life :/

Its not a bad thing per se, but I miss a dozen pages of steamgaf or don't have time for longer games as much.

When I do have time though I get to enjoy something like Life is Strange. I finished ep 2 last night and in the scene right before the credits
I accused Nathan. I was so glad with him starting to get called out on his shit
. I'm left drooling for more but ep 2 just came out. Can't wait to play more games this weekend.

fenners

I got eary early access ;) It's really good fun - it's a great take on the original game, with a nice look & feel to it. It's designed to be replayed, unlock more parts/sets of equipment as you progress etc.

You can build some crazy fun layouts & there's some great variety in the ships you face off against. The presentation of "Captain Forever" the TV show is cool too.

I've enjoyed playing it for sure.

Oh & they put a good video for the early access launch that captures the feel of the game really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEiYOhTuKJU

Parsnip

*high five*

same here ... I've tried to switch to chrome at least a dozen times (not even kidding) ... and each time I just keep going back to FF after a few days ... Chrome is just unbearable for me
*high five*

If Spartan holds true to it's "Chrome extension developers don't need to do anything different" mantra, then there will probably be Enhanced Steam for Spartan soon after the browser releases.
I think it's supposed to be win10dev sometime in April, I wonder if they'll have the extension support in the first public build or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom