• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are talking about Molyneux, maybe some projects have lower priorities right now, but they're still there, plus Valve would tell you if the projects are abandoned.

I am not really talking about games but the Steam infrastructure.

They always announce a lot, then somehow release it and wont develop it anymore. Look at the trading cards at first. They promised binders, more seasons for the trading cards and more.
Then Steam Music, which is even worse than any IT student or hobbyprogrammer could do in foobar and doesnt (didnt?) even support some fileformats.
Then the whole GL situation.
BPM took like 3 years after it was announced and it still is half-browser based.

I just want local chat logs. Is that too much to ask, Valve?

I also do not understand why you can not chat when you are invisible (shown as offline).

I also do not understand why the achievements in the BPM arent stored locally? I mean the PS3, PS4, Vita, Xbox 360 and Xbox One can do it. Instead somehow even in BPM you have to wait till it loads the browser windows for the achievements and have some ugly browser window where you can see your achievements.

Stallion said it best, there are too many grumpy armchair shareholders on gaf.

Valve doesn't pump out games, but it's still a productive company, why does it get so much shit?

Half-Life, the answer is Half-Life. 2007 which was the last time anything Half-Life related (The Orange Box) came out, it's 2015. Half-Life is why I am a fan of the company. Half-Life 2 was why I built one of my first P.C.'s. Half-Life 2: Episode 3, Half-Life 3, whatever, should have been done already. A long fucking time ago. This is Duke Nukem Forever bad.

Their development output has slowed to a crawl. Portal 2 came out in 2011. Dota 2 is a remake of a Warcraft 3 mod where most of the creative energy invested was making the characters the same but not close enough to Blizzard's intellectual property to avoid being sued. In some cases they were still too close. People will point at Team Fortress 2's overly long lifespan as a sign of something as well but the reality is most of it has been community driven for the last few years. Their biggest change to Counter-Strike is to add hats. Other than multiplayer-centric stuff over the last few years everything has been hardware development. Hardware that I am admittedly confused over. The controller, fine. The streaming tech, kinda neat. The OS and boxes, I really don't see the need for although a healthy distrust of Microsoft is probably always healthy. The VR stuff, I don't get why the science fiction vision of the 1980's needs to be made a reality but hey, I guess people love the fuck out of Tek Wars and shit like that.

Still, hardware, hardware, hardware and more hardware. And Source 2, which will most likely prominently feature ports of their multiplayer games. As a fan I try to stay even keeled about it, Dota 2 is pretty fun, but the absence of Half-Life is turning my fandom into a hate boner. The fact that I don't see a point for most of this hardware doesn't help.

The point of these hardwares is to attract console gamers or people who like to game in living rooms. And competing against tech giants like MS and Sony is hard work, so I can understand the lack of new releases. VR is there because...why not? It's uncharted territory. In-home streaming is amazing btw.

They must want Half-Life 2 era Valve back. I'd rather they concentrate on Steam, personally. Gimme that Steam controller.

Hell, there are posters on GAF that could barely walk when it was "Half-Life 2 era Valve". I can't even remember what I was doing back then, most likely playing CS1.x

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Will te Dragon bundle on indiegala.comgo on happy Friday thing?

Most likely.

Happy Friday justmeans you get 2 copies of the game right? It won't go for cheaper?

Yes, during Happy Hour the most expensive tier is slightly discounted. No, the number of extra gift copies is based on when you originally purchased the bundle.

Number of copies:
(1 gift copy + 3 extra gift copies) - First bundle purchased during the 1st week.
(1 gift copy + 2 extra gift copies) - First bundle purchased after the 1st week.
(1 gift copy + 1 extra gift copies) - First bundle purchased during Happy Hour promotion.

Happy Friday justmeans you get 2 copies of the game right? It won't go for cheaper?

Happy Hour means you get two bundles for the price of one if you haven't purchase the bundle before. If you can find someone who bought the bundle in the first week, they can get four bundles for the price of one. For someone after the first week, it's three bundles. This is all for the highest tier of the bundle.

dex3108

Well it's not far from the truth. Valve moved their focus to hardware last couple of years. Their game teams worked and still are working on VR demos, engine team on Source 2, there is also team for Steam Machines/Gamepad and there is team for GLNext and Steam OS. Dota 2 and TF2 teams were significantly reduced, they are working on CS:GO too. Valve is not big company so we are lucky if 10 people are working on new games.

The point of these hardwares is to attract console gamers or people who like to game in living rooms. And competing against tech giants like MS and Sony is hard work, so I can understand the lack of new releases. VR is there because...why not? It's uncharted territory. In-home streaming is amazing btw.

The hardware, operating system and push to improve OpenGL so it's not total shit seemed to be more driven by fear of Microsoft trying to create a closed ecosystem in Windows 8, which they still might try with Windows "10", DirectX being a Microsoft created api, in combination with declining sales of desktop PC's, even though enthusiast hardware seems to be on the rise. I don't think attracting casual gamers is a stretch with some of those set top boxes but the audience for the more high end ones are likely are building better towers.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Yeah, I don't get the rage against it. If they can tap into a new market good for them. The Steam controller and VR headset is something they can market to PC gamers, mostly.
But they do deserve criticism for a lot of their shortcomings, especially with mundane issues like their mobile app.

I kinda would liken it to Land Rover or somesuch auto maker.

The hardware, operating system and push to improve OpenGL so it's not total shit seemed to be more driven by fear of Microsoft trying to create a closed ecosystem in Windows 8, which they still might try with Windows "10", DirectX being a Microsoft created api, in combination with declining sales of desktop PC's, even though enthusiast hardware seems to be on the rise. I don't think attracting casual gamers is a stretch with some of those set top boxes but the audience for the more high end ones are likely are building better towers.
I don't believe SteamOS is merely a product of fear of MS's close garden, Gaben's speech is just a cool and non-costly way to announce it. The entire Steam Universe must have been planned out years ago, Valve does not play to lose, Valve is rich, but not Google's "we'll spend money to entertain an idea and scrap it when we're bored" rich.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't get the rage against it. If they can tap into a new market good for them. The Steam controller and VR headset is something they can market to PC gamers, mostly.
But they do deserve criticism for a lot of their shortcomings, especially with mundane issues like their mobile app.

I kinda would liken it to Land Rover or somesuch auto maker.

Don't get me started on Land Rover.

I like the Evoke :p

Yes, the Land Rover Defender does evoke strong feelings. LR has a rich history spanning decades. ;)

dex3108

I don't believe SteamOS is merely a product of fear of MS's close garden, Gaben's speech is just a cool and non-costly way to announce it. The entire Steam Universe must have been planned out years ago, Valve does not play to lose, Valve is rich, but not Google's "we'll spend money to entertain an idea and scrap it when we're bored" rich.

Valve already succeeded in many ways. We are seeing more and more AAA games with Linux support, Valve is pushing OpenGL too and devs are willing ti accept it, with Steam Machines and gamepad they are trying to show that PC gaming in living room is possible and comfortable even if you are playing games like Civilisation, their VR tech is innovative and open for everybody. They are doing many good things for PC gaming in general but unfortunately that means less time and space for Valve games for now.

Arthea

I'll just leave this here too
tumblr_inline_nkg2h2NbHe1siwbnr.png

more here
http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/112257788515/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second

A Fish Aficionado

if you don't mind me asking, why do you want those?

I would much more prefer if valve did something about inventory, it's still pretty much unmanageable.

Because it's something that even rudimentary chat apps have.
Valve has a lot to answer to in terms of Steam as a gaming social network.

Arthea

Because it's something that even rudimentary chat apps have.
Valve has a lot to answer to in terms of Steam as a gaming social network.

I simply don't really see the need, when you can have groups and discussions (sorta chat) in there that stay forever? chat is something I never expect to be needed later, but that can be just me. That's why I asked what for he wants those logs.

A Fish Aficionado

I simply don't really see the need, when you can have groups and discussions (sorta chat) in there that stay forever? chat is something I never expect to be needed later, but that can be just me. That's why I asked what for he wants those logs.
I might have drunkenly said some things...amoral things.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Here's a weird, random question for you all: Can any of you think of a program for mapping 2D games via screenshot? Like Nintendo Power used to do by hand with NES games back in the old days, but cleverly automated now.

My very brief googling only seems to pop up actual game making utilities.

Rapstah

Here's a weird, random question for you all: Can any of you think of a program for mapping 2D games via screenshot? Like Nintendo Power used to do by hand with NES games back in the old days, but cleverly automated now.

My very brief googling only seems to pop up actual game making utilities.

Depends on what you mean by "mapping". I've never read Nintendo Power.

derExperte

Pff, the only Kotaku you need is me.

In fact, nobody else in your life matters. Just me. There is only me. I am the best.

You like Bulletstorm so you're at least in my list of people I don't completely hate. Which is a very short list I might add.

Jesus christ at the amount of salt in the front page. Salt in PS4 thread. Salt in Steam thread. Salt in VR threads. Salt salt salt.

Let's post 30 pages of salt GIFs and tired jokes and then wonder why yet another thread went to shit.

Dr Dogg

Must... Stop... Playing.. Unreal Tournament...

It's like being stuck in a time warp when I was at college and instead of doing assignments and essay's the whole house was huddled round our shitty PC until the wee hours of the morning on OG UT only without a telephone extension cable warped around the doors and down the stairs just at garrotting height.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Depends on what you mean by "mapping". I've never read Nintendo Power.

Basically stitching together screenshots of old sidescrolling/topdown games in the order they appear in, in order to show an entire area of a game all at once.

Here's a website I found dedicated to such a practice:

http://www.vgmaps.com/index.htm

And subsequently, here's a program that purports to do what I was thinking:

http://www.smspower.org/maxim/Software/ScreenshotAutostitcher

Found via their forums.

Rapstah

Basically stitching together screenshots of old sidescrolling/topdown games in the order they appear in, in order to show an entire area of a game all at once.

Here's a website I found dedicated to such a practice:

http://www.vgmaps.com/index.htm

And subsequently, here's a program that purports to do what I was thinking:

http://www.smspower.org/maxim/Software/ScreenshotAutostitcher

Found via their forums.

Oh, cool concept. I'd have suggested some sort of program for stitching together panorama photographs, but if you've found dedicated software then go for it.

PARANO1A

ModBot said:
Instructions for PARANO1A:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PARANO1A, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Betrayer -- MB-4DF3B1A8AE3A9331 - Taken by 7Sins
The Bridge -- MB-6D892A18972C8777 - Taken by Loptous
Bundle surplus

derExperte

Gem sacks at almost .90€ while the amount of sacks on the market isn't even going down. Time to sell my remaining few before the bubble bursts?

Mr. Doop

Gem sacks at almost .90€ while the amount of sacks on the market isn't even going down. Time to sell my remaining few before the bubble bursts?

I sold off all of my gem sacks a really long time ago. This is probably the most expensive they're going to be for a while, so I would probably sell them now.

Dr Dogg

Well may as well post this here. MMBosstones if you want to pop this in the OP as well if you get the chance (not that anyone rwads the OP anyway).

8lgpKuL.png

Assassin’s Creed: Rogue - Dr Dogg

Well I’ve not exactly kept quiet about my love of this game so I’ll try and do this without gushing too much. Assassin’s Creed Rogue, the charitable PS360 game of last year when they didn’t get Unity is the culmination of the Americas storyline. It takes place between the events of III and Black Flag and neatly ties the storylines together. It may have been considered Black Flag II but it’s a great combination of III and IV with a few new ideas of its own.

You play as Irishman Shay Patrick Cormac, the usual Assassin in training. Though Shay isn’t quite comfortable with the Brotherhood and their ideology. Trying to keep him focused is his childhood friend Liam but he doesn’t see eye to eye with senior members of the order like the arrogant Frenchman Chevalier. Needless to say Shay is tasked with a mission but something goes a little bit wrong (well spectacularly actually but that would give away a great set piece) which cause Shay to question the morality of the Assassin Order. Confronting the head of the order, Achilles Davenport, Shay is forced to flee the Homestead, corned on the edge of a cliff he plummets into the sea bellow only to be rescued by the most unlikely of sources, the Templars. This then sets the scene for Shay to see the Assassin/Templar struggle from a different perspective which he feels the Templars will allow him to set right the tragedy he caused.

So you have all the Naval combat and island exploration from Black Flag, across 2 large play areas in the North Atlantic and River Valley with countless islands and settlements to explore. Naval combat has got some upgrades and Shay’s ship The Morigan is equipped with some deadly weapons like the explosive front mounted Carronades, the machine gun like Puckle Gun replacing the pivot guns, a ram the not only cuts through sheets of ice but can be used to charge down enemy vessels and finally fire barrels have been replaced with burning oil which can be used as a trail to keep foes off your tail or encircle them trapping them in place. Plus in the harsh waters of the North Atlantic Ice Bergs can be used to your advantage either as cover from enemy fire or destroy them to cause a damaging ripple wave to cripple your foe. Legendary Ships are back though they have increased in scope to Legendary Battles with fleets to take on.

On land you have the city of New York to explore and rebuild if you so wish. New for Rogue are Gang Hideouts that play out like Outposts in the Far Cry games. You have to fulfil objectives like assassinating the hideout leader and removing the flag atop the hideout to clear the area of Assassin’s influence. Also despite the game not featuring any multiplayer a lot of the concepts have been brought over in to the game. As Shay has defected to the Templars you will now be stalked by Assassin’s. You will hear the familiar whispers for the multiplayer to let you know that an assassin is close and by using Shay’s Eagle Sense you can pin point their location with the radial compass that was present in the multiplayer. As for armaments Shay has all the tricks of an assassin and combat plays out like Black Flag but he is also armed with an advanced Air Rifle. This can fire different types of ammunition like sleeping darts and grenades that poison or explode.

Finally the present day is a continuation of Abstergo Entertainment from Black Flag, with computer hacking puzzle solving along with plenty of files to dig into from some series lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom