• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Isn't that on kickstarter?
I don't think so.

tumblr_nkf2tyaItn1u0tzcmo4_500.gif

wilflare

hmm how many of you actually do surround sound on Steam?

trying to declutter and wondering if I should just sell my Soundblaster Zx

@JaseC, does your collection bug extend to anything else?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
do you use any sound card or anything to get virtual surround on headphones?

or just plain stereo?
Most surround sound headphones are a gimmick but I haven't used one in years,so I don't know if they have advanced.

Stereo headphones. Quality is impressive when you have a good 'set

wilflare

Most surround sound headphones are a gimmick but I haven't used one in years,so I don't know if they have advanced.

yeap! I have a solid stereo pair (Philips Fidelio X1) the thing is I don't know if I should bother with a sound card or something to get virtual surround with it.

A Fish Aficionado

yeap! I have a solid stereo pair (Philips Fidelio X1) the thing is I don't know if I should bother with a sound card or something to get virtual surround with it.
Nah, it really fucks with the frequencies. I hate any kind of "virtual" Eq. The standard one is food enough. You could try a headphone amp instead.

Dr Dogg

I don't think Nvidia's uttered a word about Rogue, so I'm not surprised about the lack of "GameWorks" features.

Seems the same dealio as with Liberation HD, uses the previous incarnation of Anvil Next with all the Nvidia bells and whistles stripped out. Though there is that SteelSeries eye tracking thing that's using Rogue as its first commercial game.

Depends on the game but something like a Dead Space or Sleeping Dogs I use Dolby Headphone on a Xonar DG I've had for years. Most of the time though I've just use a set of headphones connected to an external USB DAC.

dex3108

Seems the same dealio as with Liberation HD, uses the previous incarnation of Anvil Next with all the Nvidia bells and whistles stripped out. Though there is that SteelSeries eye tracking thing that's using Rogue as its first commercial game.

IT is simple Ubi wanted to keep porting costs as low as possible.

Miguel81

@JaseC, does your collection bug extend to anything else?

I've got a 7.1 home theater connected via HDMI for living room gaming on occasion. Some games like Alien Isolation have fantastic surround sound.

A Fish Aficionado

So, are 5.1/7.1 headphones a gimmick nowadays?
I could get one because I'm getting a new laptop by the end of the month for my bday.

Also, goddam I love the northern Spanish accent. Been watching my dad's film collection again.

derExperte

Hey, we beat gaf on MetaGamerScore. Take that, you phonies!

Wait a second, Dr Dogg is in that other group. Why didn't we all join them? We could be number 3.

Man, PS3 version of Sherlock Holmes is simply TERRIBLE.
The game is good, even if, for now, it seems there's no a major plot but only little cases, but there are loading screens every two seconds! And they are long too. I watched Holmes reading his book for one hour, lol.

Thanks for the warning, I read that even the PS4 version has issues but still considered a try. I can't stand loading times anymore and PS3 games in general had so many.

Man, PS3 version of Sherlock Holmes is simply TERRIBLE.
The game is good, even if, for now, it seems there's no a major plot but only little cases, but there are loading screens every two seconds! And they are long too. I watched Holmes reading his book for one hour, lol.

Sometimes 'free' is too expensive and a Steam Seal is the right price.

Tizoc

Wait a second, Dr Dogg is in that other group. Why didn't we all join them? We could be number 3.

Thanks for the warning, I read that even the PS4 version has issues but still considered a try. I can't stand loading times anymore and PS3 games in general had so many.

I really wish pubs or devs would focus on making performance a priority, even if you can't reach 60 FPS, Locked 30 FPS with no screen tearing etc. is fine.

BHK3

Banned
I went from having 1 viewer(my friend) watch me play DBZ Xenoverse to 13 viewers in a night, cool stuff.

Also, when I talk in chat to my stream a lot of the times my messages don't go through, how do I fix that? I'll type 4 lines and like 1/2 will go through(meaning I see the messages I wrote while the others just disappear).

Ozium

finished up hotline miami again, getting ready for 2

gonna read the digital comiX next couple days

soon guys.. soon

and why is there not HM2 hype train?

Maniac

Banned

It depends on the use-case. If you play a lot of FPS games, it's not necessarily a gimmick, but it depends on the headset. Most headsets are virtual 7.1 / 5.1, and they're absolute trite for actual positional audio, whereas a physical 7.1 such as the Tiamat (which I believe is the only real 7.1 headset thus far) has excellent positional audio and will let you know where someone is in 3D space in, say, CSGO. It's really precise and it gives you a good edge, whereas virtualised surround actually hinders you more-so than stereo would. Ofcourse, physical surround is simply not as high-quality audio wise since there's only so much room in an earcup, and you'll thus have smaller drivers with less 'oomph', but again if you're into semi-competitively played FPS (or just dedicate some time, and money, to them) then it's definitely worth it.

... /Rant. If you don't play semi-competitive FPS that're somewhat slower paced (It wont help you much in Unreal Tournament and similarly fast-as-fuck paced games) then I'd just go for a good pair of stereo headphones with an amp.
dotes is fun tho

you just need to treat it like a plane simulator and learn for years

4mC962j.gif
TtQKxEi.gif
pup.gif
dac15_fantastic.gif
RJVFI6H.gif
crazy.gif

Just about. It takes a ton of time and dedication to 'git gud' so to speak, and thus it's very off-putting for a lot of people whom wont find it fun. And that's why League of Legends was born in the first place, so I don't see it as a bad thing, really.

Also has Matt made a firefox addon? ,_,

I need my :horse:

:horse: =)

derExperte

It depends on the use-case. If you play a lot of FPS games, it's not necessarily a gimmick, but it depends on the headset. Most headsets are virtual 7.1 / 5.1, and they're absolute trite for actual positional audio, whereas a physical 7.1 such as the Tiamat (which I believe is the only real 7.1 headset thus far) has excellent positional audio and will let you know where someone is in 3D space in, say, CSGO. It's really precise and it gives you a good edge, whereas virtualised surround actually hinders you more-so than stereo would.

Virtual surround has become very good if you use the right soundcard. My Soundblaster Z produces very good surround sound and when I did some research last year the consensus was that the few remaining 'real' surround headphones are not really better and their general sound quality is so bad that it drags everything down. The recommendation was always to buy a great stereo headphone + virtual surround.

Sorry, I meant virtual surround that's purely on the headset side of things, IE a USB headset with two shoddy drivers being virtualised into so-so surround with very little accuracy. Good soundcards make a world of difference, as always. But the headsets themselves are quite... Trite for the most part.

Oh, I totally forgot about those. Definitely the worst option.

Maniac

Banned
why would you post this without a source?

Necropolis by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall etc) made by a tiny little team not working on Shadowrun. Afaik, they wont have crowd-funding for it, but I'm not sure.
I have to disagree there, virtual surround has become very good if you use the right soundcard. My Soundblaster Z produces very good surround sound and when I did some research last year the consensus was that 'real' surround headphones are not better and their general sound quality is so bad that it drags everything down.

Sorry, I meant virtual surround that's purely on the headset side of things, IE a USB headset with two shoddy drivers being virtualised into so-so surround with very little accuracy. Good soundcards make a world of difference, as always. But the headsets themselves are quite... Trite for the most part.

And exactly. Quality isn't too great, the Tiamat is, imo, very crisp for gaming, but music and the likes? Hell no, just... No. Not enough power for those lil' drivers :)

But yeah, a USB surround sound headset without a dedicated soundcard or a motherboard with a high-end integrated soundcard (such as Asus' Hero & Maximus series) is definitely gimmicky in my opinion, simply due to the inaccuracy of it and how it actually gives you a disadvantage in an FPS.

edit: For music I have a great set of 15, 20-ish year old Sony speakers my dad bought ages ago. Two subwoofers, a centre speaker, two rear speakers and two side speakers. 5.2, baby. Five point two. Hnngh. This is ofcourse why I have little need for headphones that're good for music, but speakers wont work for a lot of people simply due to disturbing others, ofcourse. :|

Grief.exe

MadGear

This is a really cool mechanical keyboard build on Massdrop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit

This is the default case for the build, but also has the option for a TEX aluminum case.

MD-3854_20141014190605_cf16d9b1b63e7232.jpg

They're still garbage.

Looks neat, but way too pricey ... .

If you are looking for something "similar" (granted less stylish) but more reasonably priced, with more buttons and maybe some lighting Ozonegaming offers a really nice looking one as well (I just wish it didn't have the name written on it).

Personally I'm still looking forward to the K65 RGB because I want a TKL with wristrest but there is still no version with ISO Layout :/

Momentary

Banned
Oh god, this is so true...
QOmGOYd.png

Well... I just held up my 360 controller and it looks way more busy than this.

That thing looks comfortable. Only thing concerning me is whether the right track pad still had the four buttons mapped out on it.

Also, after looking at the SteamOS games list, it looks a damn bit healthier than it did a few months ago. It's starting to look very appealing to have my next set up on a dual boot for SteamOS and Windows 10.

I thought people loved the Steam controller when it was announced? It's not changed that much since then has it?

Loved it? Have you seen the GAF thread for ex?

The things that changed is they removed the touchscreen from the center and repositioned the middle 4 buttons into a diamond and added a stick. The dual trackpads have always been there.

wilflare

Virtual surround has become very good if you use the right soundcard. My Soundblaster Z produces very good surround sound and when I did some research last year the consensus was that the few remaining 'real' surround headphones are not really better and their general sound quality is so bad that it drags everything down. The recommendation was always to buy a great stereo headphone + virtual surround.

Oh, I totally forgot about those. Definitely the worst option.

hmm the question is this - should I keep this Soundblaster Z or sell it and keep to my headphones + USB DAC?

don't know how I got into this Soundblaster Z thingum last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom