• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

Lots. Question is if anyone who is hating has tried it.

If it's really good, then I might use that instead of my 360 controller. Though I really love that controller. I can't stand the Xbone controller just because of the shoulder buttons being so angled inward / small at the top.

Arthea

Finished 20th game this year, ohoho
No matter how many I finish it makes no dent in my playing now category. It goes like this:
me: 20th game done!
playing now category: haven't even noticed!

maybe I should calculate how many I have left... although it's scary.

The 360 controller is all kinds of awful.
iKkbf09KT6vA5.gif

JakeD

i'm pretty much the target market for the steam controller, in that i have my PC hooked up to my TV but still like to play KB/M games. i'm going to buy one just because it's gotta be better than using a wireless KB/M on my coffee table which i never got used to.

i just got a dolphinbar which allows you to use a wiimote/nunchuck as a emulated KB/M. haven't tried it in games (other than wii games) but it might be pretty cool for FPS and CRPGs depending on how precise it is.

Arthea

This would be the perfect controller if it had analog triggers & matte finish.

http://www.tapscape.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Wii-U-Pro-Controller.png[/IMG

80 hours of battery life....[/QUOTE]

The problem I have with this controller, it's exactly like xbox360 controller only triggers are worse and placement of buttons is all wrong (¬‿¬)
[SPOILER]more expensive too[/SPOILER]

Arthea

I shouldn't have counted... that was bad idea
I have 140 now playing games... no wonder I can't see any difference no matter how many I finish

Steam controller looks fine.
you can't play with looks, doesn't matter how it looks, only thing that matters how it controls and how comfortable it holds.

Grief.exe

Oh god, this is so true...
QOmGOYd.png

Totally true, steam hardware is a mess.

Yep, the Steam controller is terribly designed.

I find most of the issues with the Steam controller a perception issue. Whether this is due to Valve's lack of clear consumer understanding or just ignorance, I don't know.

Most of the GAF threads I go into are filled with comments about the lack of analog sticks or the confusion of its existence.

Looks like an interesting product that fills a necessary niche not covered by the xinput standard. I am interested, but I reserve judgement until I get some hands on time with it.

Are there any hands on demonstrations with positive feedback?

Plenty.

This is a really cool mechanical keyboard build on Massdrop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit

This is the default case for the build, but also has the option for a TEX aluminum case.

MD-3854_20141014190605_cf16d9b1b63e7232.jpg
Looks neat, but way too pricey ... .

If you are looking for something "similar" (granted less stylish) but more reasonably priced, with more buttons and maybe some lighting Ozonegaming offers a really nice looking one as well (I just wish it didn't have the name written on it).

Personally I'm still looking forward to the K65 RGB because I want a TKL with wristrest but there is still no version with ISO Layout :/

It's $99 without keycaps. So you can provide them from a previously purchased board, or pick them up for cheap if you don't like their decidedly high-end options.

Seems reasonable.

Copons

finished up hotline miami again, getting ready for 2

gonna read the digital comiX next couple days

soon guys.. soon

and why is there not HM2 hype train?

Fun fact: the HLM2 comic is co-written by a friend of mine who used to write for my site, and there's also a cameo appearance of another friend who by the way is the adaptation assistant of the comic.
All good Italian stuff!

They also did the digital comic for Gods Will Be Watching, so that guy there basically gets plenty of Devolver keys and he always gift one of them to our site, but he gives them to another author who always redeem them for himself instead of giving them to me. :'(

Mr. Doop

I find most of the issues with the Steam controller a perception issue. Whether this is due to Valve's lack of clear consumer understanding or just ignorance, I don't know.

Most of the GAF threads I go into are filled with comments about the lack of analog sticks or the confusion of its existence.

Looks like an interesting product that fills a necessary niche not covered by the xinput standard. I am interested, but I reserve judgement until I get some hands on time with it.

Well, I guess I'm just quick to react. I'm not really sure if that D-pad will work well, but I guess I should wait and try it first.

NEO0MJ

I was wondering, how is steam handled across two different computers? Me and my friend just bought a PC and I want to put my account in it but I'll be leaving it at his house while I'll game mostly on my laptop. Can that cause any issues?

Backlogger

If it's really good, then I might use that instead of my 360 controller. Though I really love that controller. I can't stand the Xbone controller just because of the shoulder buttons being so angled inward / small at the top.

I wouldn't use it instead of whatever controller you are using now. I would use it along side whatever controller you are using now. Some games may be better with an xBox controller than the Steam Controller

I was wondering, how is steam handled across two different computers? Me and my friend just bought a PC and I want to put my account in it but I'll be leaving it at his house while I'll game mostly on my laptop. Can that cause any issues?

You can be logged into Steam on more than 1 PC, but I'm pretty sure you can only play games on one of them at a time. It will prompt you to end a gaming session on the other PC if you try to start a game while someone else is already playing one.

Copons

I used to have Steam installed on two computers, my main PC and my work Mac.
There were basically no problems at all except the fact that it constantly failed to properly sync the library settings (ie. assigning games to categories), always overwriting my PC settings with my Mac ones.
It was SO annoying, considering Mac was my secondary computer, with obsolete categories, to the point I got used to backup my sharedconfig.vdf file (which is the one where Steam stores the library settings) on PC every time I wanted to use Steam on Mac, to be always able to restore my library.

Ban Puncher

Three analogue directional inputs and no d-pad? How the heck am I supposed to pull off dragon punches or pixel-perfectly platform on that monstrosity?

F the Steam Controller.

I want to slap anyone who complains about a controller being battery powered. Would you rather have 40 hours of usage or 5-8? Buy two packs of enloops, keep one set in a charger, and never worry about charging ever again.

Arthea

I want to slap anyone who complains about a controller being battery powered. Would you rather have 40 hours of usage or 5-8? Buy two packs of enloops, keep one set in a charger, and never worry about charging ever again.

this rant is wrong, wired is always my answer, to pretty much anything, especially controllers. This way you don't choose between hours, you choose between forever and little inconvenience and a lot of fuss. Forever always wins (¬‿¬)
I'll see myself out now

You can be logged into Steam on more than 1 PC, but I'm pretty sure you can only play games on one of them at a time. It will prompt you to end a gaming session on the other PC if you try to start a game while someone else is already playing one.

There is a corollary to this: You CAN play games at the same time IF the other person bought the game. For example, I let my sister use my family sharing. So if I was playing a game, she COULD play Mortal Kombat - which she bought - but she could NOT play Papers, Please, which she didn't. The library shows which ones you own and which ones are shared.

That Newell thread. ugh

What are you on? I'm thinking of upgrading to a wireless AC router since the range on my current Asus N router is not as good.

just a netgear router. I haven't tried recently, but it's the same setup I've used in the past and it's been pretty good. Don't get me wrong, wired is infinitely better, but wireless is possible.

strafer

That Newell thread. ugh

just a netgear router. I haven't tried recently, but it's the same setup I've used in the past and it's been pretty good. Don't get me wrong, wired is infinitely better, but wireless is possible.

which one, the one about him taking over the world or the GDC interview?

Maniac

Banned
The choice of 'which console controller should I hook up to my PC with an adaptor?'.

Get a muvfucking baller 10-slot USB hub and a ton of adapters, problem solved. :p
this rant is wrong, wired is always my answer, to pretty much anything, especially controllers. This way you don't choose between hours, you choose between forever and little inconvenience and a lot of fuss. Forever always wins (¬‿¬)
I'll see myself out now

Yooouuuu can run it wired too, you know. Pop in some rechargeable batteries and they'll recharge through the cord too, iirc, unlike the POS OG 360 controller.
gaming side gave me headache today.
Seriously, how many GDC and around threads we need?
I get a headache and feel like vomiting most of the time when I venture outside of this thread.

As for threads: We need one for every word uttered by Valve.

And for every word uttered by Valve there will be ten posters complaining Valve doesn't make videogames at all anymore.

And for every one of these posts there are five posts of people with no experience with the SteamController that say it's shit and will bomb, and so on so forth. Needless to say, it's a fuck-ton of threads that're mostly cesspools full of feces. Yay, GAF! :D

Grief.exe

Three analogue directional inputs and no d-pad? How the heck am I supposed to pull off dragon punches or pixel-perfectly platform on that monstrosity?

F the Steam Controller.

The lack of a d-pad is brutal.
But I have a couple arcade sticks and a saturn pad + adapter when the situation requires it.

Haptic touchpads function as the DPAD, hence the cross.

What is a decent but not too $$ sound setup anyways?

Headphones? Speakers?

Knurek

I lost fate in humanity, a dude just asked Keyblade DLC for Kingdom Hearts 3 in the SE survey thread :l

I loved the guy who asked for Lightning DLC for FFXV and KH3.

Reading through Hatoful Boyfriend sequel at the moment. Pity there seem to be no plans to bring that over to Steam. :\

QOmGOYd.png

I don't see this. The controller looks fairly standard layout with a few differences. To me it looks organized, I understand why each button is where it is without even putting my hands on it.

rtcn63

Other than the gloss, I'm intrigued by the controller. Something I could use to play old third-person games like Silent Hill and Splinter Cell.

dex3108

People are forgetting that Steam Controller has 4 additional buttons on back side. So you can use them instead of ABXY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom