• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iSZKnY2WZWiMX.gif

fml

Ouch. Might as well start over.

man i gotta study for a test on tuesday but I'm sooo sleepy, i can't focus on studying, i can barely stay awake :( a nap is out of the question since i gotta wake up in the AM for work tmrw and if i nap now i won't be able to sleep tonight. why god, why are you so cruel?

getting Mario&Luigi vibes from South Park Stick of Truth. This is obviously a good thing!

your vibes are correct.

Tizoc

I remember playing the Japanese version of KOF 97 on my Saturn back when I was...13 (holy hell). I remember thinking how awesomely animated those things were when I first saw them.

This release comes with both OG 98 and 98 UM. Generally speaking 98 is a much better balance than KoF 97, albeit with shittier interface and art (excluding victory artwork).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The tropical Caribbean setting makes it better. Too many tailing missions, it's true, and they continue with the same shit in the rather short Freedom Cry DLC.

The setting is more visually pleasing than 3's massive misstep of Colonial America, however I was rather disappointed by how small the game's few cities are. Unity returning to one massive location a la Brotherhood/Revelations was a most welcome change.

It's not going to happen, but I'd love to see a current-gen-only entry revisit Renaissance Italy once more.

Maniac

Banned
Urgh, spending what could've been Steam monies on worthless things like running shoes. What's wrong with me?! Still awaiting Dragon Ball X later this month.

I'm jelly. Those look great and I really want 'em! I just... Can't afford Nike, Adidas or anything even remotely high-end. :p I'm currently sporting a pair of incredibly cheap chinese ones that cost me about 10 pounds.

They're superb for the price and the whole knock-offness, though! :p
Hey pals, long time.

I bought The Talos Principle yesterday and it's wonderful. The puzzles are intelligently designed and brilliantly ramp up in difficulty, and there's also a non-linear element to level progression (it's hub-based) so you're able to go off and tackle relatively easier puzzles if you're stuck on a difficult one.

Puzzles frequently benefit from some out-of-the-box thinking and there's a physical aspect to it (aided by the fact that your run speed is very fast) that means you can get through scenarios in some off-kilter, creative ways if your timing is right.

Thematically, there's a strand of impressively lucid philosophy of A.I. that runs through it, which if you're into that sort of thing, is very well-portrayed, with some well-written musings on the nature of life and the possibly imaginary line dividing man and machine. All of it clearly ties into the plot and the character you're playing, but I've yet to see exactly how, though there are plenty of educated guesses one can make since they like to dole out the clues.

Buy it and love it.

Yes senpai! Please notice me! I will buy it senpai!
10% off IIRC, but still.

:'(
:'(

Momentary

Banned
This release comes with both OG 98 and 98 UM. Generally speaking 98 is a much better balance than KoF 97, albeit with shittier interface and art (excluding victory artwork).

I know. I already own it. It's just that Mai gif took me way back. The first SNK game I ever play was Fatal Fury: King of Fighters... and the animation quality for that was lacking. Then it was AoF and then KOF 97, which at the time I thought was amazing.
As for my favorite KoF... that's XI. Gai, Silber, and Kula all day baby.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Only repost for today - we've now got 43 votes in, which is still under half of our class attendance sheet! I've posted a new screenshot for Screenshot Saturday to the group listed below, and am making quite the progress on writing out the overall scenario. Be sure to get your vote in before it ends tomorrow!

ibfazgwg1PSZmJ.png

W-wha? Check it out here!

Update!

As of right now, the sign-up sheet is now closed! After deleting a few duplicate entries, we still got almost 100 people on the list! And that isn't counting those silly people who didn't sign up that I've already written in. If you still have an edit to your entry you wish to make, please PM me so I can take care of that for you! But that window is closing, as I will be locking down characters by the end of the weekend.

In case you missed it, I've created a new Steam Group for us to use to discuss ideas, share favorite SteamGAF memories, and for me to communicate on progress. Feel free to stop by and chat, too! This will reduce thread clutter from a maddening amount of waifus to only a smattering. Major updates would still be posted in the thread, assuming there are any major updates to post. This post will be one of the last of the major updates for a while.

izaTrdnDP6PO.png

For a fun little extra bit of community involvement, we will be holding SteamGAF Academy Student Council elections! Every school needs that highest-ranking set of students who represent the student body as a whole (Not that kind of body, Milamber) and enact executive decisions when needed. This will give the thread a chance to help shape the future of the game. Major thanks to the resourceful Chariot for the suggestion!

What do I need to do? - Simple! Open up the ballot link and pencil in your choice. Note: Please only use names from this list of students. Any other votes will sadly be discarded. We will be accepting votes until 11PM EST on March 8th. All votes will be tallied after the ballot is closed, but results will not be made public until the game's release. Gotta keep some secrets, you know?

t1425873600z1.png

I only ask that this post be quoted for visibility every once in a while until voting has ended. While I can't stop you from wanting to talk about and joke around about the elections in this thread, I'd like to request it be taken to the Steam group's discussions or chat. Thank you! <3 I will be contacting those who volunteered art assistance once I have the floorplan for the school building down. Now, back to work!

I didn't know we were making a GAF game. A Pikachu would be perfect. Maybe I should start visiting here often again.

The Talos Principle demo was damn good, I'm very tempted to grab it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This is probably a dumb question, but is there a site where I can download Steam backup files? I suddenly have a download limit, but I have access to pretty fast WIFI on my campus. Problem is I don't have a laptop so I can't just install the game there, then back it up and install it on my proper PC.

I suspect no such thing exists (why would it) but asking probably doesn't hurt.
I'd love to buy Styx but I can't afford an 8GB download.

i can't erally understand how you can like ass 3 and not like ass 2

they're like the same game
Except that 3 has the longest, and most boring, prologue of any game I can think of. It's literally a couple of hours until things start to open up.

Honestly, I still think that 2 is better than 3, just for being set in beautiful locations in Europe. The whole "rugged wilderness" aspect of 3 got pretty bland and boring.

Parsnip

AC3 was fine. Not my favorite though (that's AssBro). Didn't care much for Connor, but Haytham is the best. Super bummed that he wasn't the real protagonist.

Turfster

i can't erally understand how you can like ass 3 and not like ass 2

they're like the same game

No they're not.
2 gives you magnificent, sprawling cities with tall buildings that are worth climbing and traversing.
3 gives you little ticky tacky playpens one after the other with no climbing, and when you reach the "cities", they're ridiculous little collections of blocks.

titch

Fell away from AC after buying and never really playing revelations, didn't really take to the idea of the open world of III and then later the naval combat and haven't looked at them since.....

zkylon

zkylewd
You wanna know what takes real courage? Holding it all together when the stakes are this high.

We're survivors.
this is stressing

AC3 was fine. Not my favorite though (that's AssBro). Didn't care much for Connor, but Haytham is the best. Super bummed that he wasn't the real protagonist.

yeah, assdad is the best

Except that 3 has the longest, and most boring, prologue of any game I can think of. It's literally a couple of hours until things start to open up.

Honestly, I still think that 2 is better than 3, just for being set in beautiful locations in Europe. The whole "rugged wilderness" aspect of 3 got pretty bland and boring.
No they're not.
2 gives you magnificent, sprawling cities with tall buildings that are worth climbing and traversing.
3 gives you little ticky tacky playpens one after the other with no climbing, and when you reach the "cities", they're ridiculous little collections of blocks.
zz point still stands, what's there not to like in ass 3 that isn't there in ass 2

wilflare

Microphone:
Modmic comes heavily recomended.
There are these cheap Monoprice mics that are probably decent.
I use the Blue Yeti.

Headphones:
Depends on your budget really, gaming tends to prefer open headphone design for the open soundstage.
Randomly recommending off the top of my head, Superlux HD668, AD500/700, Sennheiser HD598/600/650, AKG K 702/Q701, Beyerdynamic 990, Hi-Fi Man 300/400/500.
Sound cars are a good idea, especially for those phones with a little more resistance.

I have a ModMic and a Blue Yeti... both are still sealed.
how does the Blue Yeti work for you Grief? I imagine it would be quite weird talking to a desk mic for gaming right? (and won't it catch all the ambient noise?)

I still can't decide whether to sell off my Soundblaster Zx (and stick to my Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC) - all that positional sound and stuff are cool but not sure if I really utilize them to justify having them around (opportunity cost)

and my desktop speakers (AE AegoM) are emitting weird buzzing sounds from time to time ARGH

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Bayonetta, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bayonetta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH FINAL EDITION -- MB-1335CD0B29B26EB9 - Taken by Ozium. 16 entrants total.

t1425778933z1.png

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Right, that's AssFlag out of the wishlist. =p

Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Steam Version) doesn't even work. Uplay just crashes every time you try to run it. If it's on your list, you can strike that one also.

Anyhow, thanks to Rhaknar for the gift.

Sarcasm

Shadow of Mordor is getting very annoying. I barely start game and I can't run anywhere. Get to one captain and than 3 other captains join in. Why is..everybody a captain Oo

Grief.exe

Linux partition is finalized, grub fixed (was having issues with the Linux bootloader), with Steam installed and ready for Cities: Skylines and Hotline Miami 2's release.

I'm working on customizing the install with various fonts, colors, and window managers.

I may even post a guide later in the week if enough people are interested in getting their feet wet with Linux.

how does the Blue Yeti work for you Grief? I imagine it would be quite weird talking to a desk mic for gaming right? (and won't it catch all the ambient noise?)

I still can't decide whether to sell off my Soundblaster Zx (and stick to my Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC) - all that positional sound and stuff are cool but not sure if I really utilize them to justify having them around (opportunity cost)

and my desktop speakers (AE AegoM) are emitting weird buzzing sounds from time to time ARGH

These type of mics have a setting that is called Cardioid for picking up sounds directly in front of the microphone. This avoids background noise, but you can also diminish these by reducing your gain setting (I have mine set to 0).

bOG68Ui.png

Whenever I'm playing multiplayer games, I have the Yeti situation right in front of my face and tilted to catch sound. I can still see the screen perfectly fine and it optimally picks up my voice.

I will say, I have only heard great things about the modmic. If you think using a desktop mic is awkward or not worth the hassle, I would go with that option.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
One day I'll upgrade from this rigged up Rock Band mic to the Blue Yeti. Really loved the quality on that mic, and the different settings gave it several different uses that would come in handy.

Sarcasm

Play smarter breh :3

How do you separate the captains? I have almost all (2 left) fast travel locations unlocked.

Do I do stuff like climb drop kill climb drop kill? lol.........can't do that with 4 captains all in one spot. Would work on their gangs since all capts seems to have 6 member gangs.

I enjoy difficulties but not faked ones. Unless my save is very unlucky. No capt under power level 8 and they all seem to hang out with each other in groups of 4 no matter what location I run to.

And the smart thing would be to avoid the fights since they are all bum buddies but than I would be doing nothing ingame -.-, so your comment isn't very smart.

Maniac

Banned
Fell away from AC after buying and never really playing revelations, didn't really take to the idea of the open world of III and then later the naval combat and haven't looked at them since.....

You're not missing out on much, other than the best pirate game we've had in years (sadly it was really, really pulled down by the Assassin-bits.)

Christ I'm jealous! I really want a Yeti, but I simply can't afford one anytime soon. :|

If it's sealed you might aswell just give it 'ere :p

Sajjaja

How do you separate the captains? I have almost all (2 left) fast travel locations unlocked.

Do I do stuff like climb drop kill climb drop kill? lol.........can't do that with 4 captains all in one spot. Would work on their gangs since all capts seems to have 6 member gangs.

I enjoy difficulties but not faked ones. Unless my save is very unlucky. No capt under power level 8 and they all seem to hang out with each other in groups of 4 no matter what location I run to.

And the smart thing would be to avoid the fights since they are all bum buddies but than I would be doing nothing ingame -.-, so your comment isn't very smart.

Well the smart thing to do would be to take control of a bunch of orcs before you engage, and even send them in first. Do these captains have any specific fears? Take advantage of them even if they are not your target. Eliminate them 1 by 1. Use hit and run tactics. It's not hard if you use the games mechanics.

EDIT: Also, try to take control of one of the captains mid combat as they can do a ton in your favour.

Maniac

Banned
Dude, keep it in outer space.

Well... Without oxygen... Would I still get friction burns?

Regardless, I imagine it would be problematic for a variety of reasons. I'll keep it down to earth.

And I'll also keep it violent, passionate & furious. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom