• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I think one of the major challenges HG face with No Man's Sky is how long it take for repetition to start showing in the games world generation. Stump made a very good post in a thread about Procedurally Generated games and the challenges involved (can't find it right now as it was a while back). Even games like Civ or Worms with just basic elements like map generation, despite countless possible combinations after a while you start to see repetition in structures, assets and tile sets.

Elite is still the daddy for me, mainly because of the wow factor of 7 year old me thinking he was Han Solo smuggling throughout the galaxy but also because of how cleaver the algorithms and look up tables that Braben and co crafted in a flipping Acorn electron game using a teeny space of memory. Durante linked a while back a TED talk by David Braben on how it all worked (that I also can't find but it was in the Steam thread before Crimbo).

Not to say I'm not looking forward to No Man's Sky but just that I don't want it to be all smoke and mirrors or all mouth and no trousers to coin a British phrase. So as I do with bigger, showier titles I'm interested in when I feel there's more talkie, talkie than showy, showy I usually stick my head in the sand until it's out so not to got carried away with 'The Hype™'.
The problem with Elite that is not as fascinating to play for longer time than one would expect. That's my concern with NMS too. It's really hard to make a good, vast space sim that's fun to play. That is the real challenge, not even repetition, most of us don't get to the part where it starts to repeat itself... because it's not fun to play. Don't you agree?
Or maybe it's just me... seeing as I'm reluctant to play Elite dangerous and Star Citizen. The same is true for EVE Online, it feels like work not game, even if in theory it is a great game.
It probably is me, I don't want and can't invest so much time into games anymore, I should just forget NMS too (><)

Plus these type of space games can make you spend even more money investing into a kickass flight stick.

that you end up not using? (><)

Dr Dogg

The problem with Elite that is not as fascinating to play for longer time than one would expect. That's my concern with NMS too. It's really hard to make a good, vast space sim that's fun to play. That is the real challenge, not even repetition, most of us don't get to the part where it starts to repeat itself... because it's not fun to play. Don't you agree?
Or maybe it's just me... seeing as I'm reluctant to play Elite dangerous and Star Citizen. The same is true for EVE Online, it feels like work not game, even if in theory it is a great game.
It probably is me, I don't want and can't invest so much time into games anymore, I should just forget NMS too (><)

Oh Elite really hasn't aged well at all, I mean christ it's almost 31 years old but I came to it 3 years after it came out and owned on my Speccy and Atari ST and still had plenty of life in it upto '92 for me. That was just enough until Frontier came out and that was something I still had dalliances with up until the start of college. Then again times have changes, games have explored differing avenues, there's a lot of devices and things just on the internet competing for our attention these days, and we all have massive backlogs that playing one game for any prolonged stretch of time is a challenge in itself. I went years playing Champ Man/Footy Man exclusively and religiously and now I only muster 20-30 hours per release.

Arthea

Oh Elite really hasn't aged well at all, I mean christ it's almost 31 years old but I came to it 3 years after it came out and owned on my Speccy and Atari ST and still had plenty of life in it upto '92 for me. That was just enough until Frontier came out and that was something I still had dalliances with up until the start of college. Then again times have changes, games have explored differing avenues, there's a lot of devices and things just on the internet competing for our attention these days, and we all have massive backlogs that playing one game for any prolonged stretch of time is a challenge in itself. I went years playing Champ Man/Footy Man exclusively and religiously and now I only muster 20-30 hours per release.

I know exactly what you mean! I've played Stars! of all games for 50 hours or so back in the day, and I spent something like 10 hours with Endless Space and I feel like I had more than enough. Talk about getting inpatient with age when it has to be other way around, according to beliefs. (><)

Oh hey, Long Live The Queen got updated with some more plot and achievements
D8B8529D0E4B5E2A9258F0190B45558D34E46430

Ozium

fired up arkham oranges... already feeling compelled to do all the riddler shit

between this, hotline miami on tuesday and la cops on friday I'm set.

Sarcasm

has anyone here experience in installing LAN wall sockets in your apartment?

I'm not quite sure how to go about it, I basically just want a wall socket in my bedroom, and a cable to the router in my living room.

Should I install an additional wall socket next to the router, and stretch a cable between that one and the socket in my bedroom? I probably don't want the end of the new bedroom wall socket to be a lose cable end (connected directly in the router)?

You basically change the cable ends to female and run the cable between the sockets.
Then you use the typical cable(male)from router to socket. Then other socket to pc.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

White Noise Online -- MB-E0DCC3F33D89D6C6 - Taken by xGreg
Stick it to The Man! -- MB-283C559389DAB286 - Taken by ExoSoul

Arthea

Dude
Just use us psn mang...

In which universe are you living? actually all new games are priced £55 these days on PSN, what's about 76&#8364;, with euro dropping as it is, prices are getting beyond insane.

edited: well, not all, only irrelevant ones - popular cinematic experiences (><)

Dr Dogg

Just noticed that Gamestop priced Uncharted 4 75&#8364;.
Regular edition :l

Shock Horror! Price gouging retailer gouges prices!

If you're buying a Sony game Day One and don't do something like the early Amazon Preorder Price Shuffle (as in preorder it the moment the store page goes up at either UK or DE as they're bloody well cheaper than IT even with shipping) then you need your head examined. Of course it wouldn't be a day in the week with out PunishedSnake moaning about pricing without exploring every option available :p

In which universe are you living? actually all new games are priced £55 these days on PSN, what's about 76&#8364;, with euro dropping as it is, prices are getting beyond insane.

They key here is US PSN. Not our inflated EU prices.

Dr Dogg

I wonder what will happen to those in the Notline Miami 2 camp? Zeliard was in here the other day, I smell a Bayonetta 2 like situation on the horizon.

Arthea

I wonder what will happen to those in the Notline Miami 2 camp? Zeliard was in here the other day, I smell a Bayonetta 2 like situation on the horizon.

Well, I'm not buying games,
except selected few,
you all can sue me or bite, your choice

Arthea

selected few like hotline miami 2 you mean

it's not in my list, you'll have to live with that!
also I need to mention I had problems with running the first game, crashing problems, so I'm not even sure I like it, probably not.

Dr Dogg

I have no a PS4, I'm not preordering this. But this is the FIRST game I see in Italy priced 75€, for a regular edition, that's it.
You can google the whole Gamestop site, and you won't find another exaple like this.

I'm sure there will be others, I'm sure you're PSN prices are in line with that too. Christ I saw The Order 1886 in GAME for £54.99 the other day but I know full well that just because one retailer prices high doesn't mean they all do as it's currently sitting at a smidge under £44 on Amazon and if you wanted to import it from Play-Asia it's £39 with international shipping. I couldn't give a toss what one retailer prices a singular game at when there is plenty of competition out there, you need to broaden your horizons if you want the best deal.

Oh hey, Long Live The Queen got updated with some more plot and achievements

Going to have to try playing this again.

You need one of those self motivational posters on a wall near by to gee you up. Like that cat clinging to a branch that has the caption 'hang in there'. Of course now I'm stuck thinking of Garfield and he hates Mondays.

At least tomorrow is AssCreed Rogue, Hotline Miami 2, Cities Skylines, Shelter 2 day.

Sid Meier's Starships comes out thursday so I'm getting that. I know I will get everything else you listed, just at a later date. Though I might cave and get Hotline Miami 2 as well.

It's all fun and games until your grandma gets pregnant.

At my age, if I was dating, its probably someone's grandma.

Ozium

mondays bring us new weekly deals
a new bundle from indiegala
hopefully some amazeballs bundlestars 8 games on your wishlist for $2.99 bundle

it's gonna be so hype

depressing ;)

You're telling me! (That said, women my age are saying the same thing about men, so the depression goes all around)

I think Hotline Miami was...kind of garbage, pretty much the Mortal Kombat of top down games. Remove the violence and you are left with something nobody would bother playing.

No way. The game was super tight. If it didn't have the gore, it would still be awesome.

Arthea

Do they also have Chris Avellone doing writing for the expansion?

I have no idea.

I think Hotline Miami was...kind of garbage, pretty much the Mortal Kombat of top down games. Remove the violence and you are left with something nobody would bother playing.

I am not sure when you are kidding most of the time, but this makes no sense, it's like saying lets remove space from a space sim, or strategy from a strategy game and see who will bother playing what's left.

Ozium

Not me. But I am getting it for payday 2 content :)

you mean you are going to buy the game but not play it you just want the payday 2 content?

how does the payday 2 content work? I honestly don't care about payday 2 and don't want it, is it something I can give away or is it just activated at the same time the game is?

derExperte

You can't pull HM1 apart like that. The gameplay is challenging, fast and fun with replay value, music is godly, story goes from mysterious to weird to crazy, it's set in the 80s and looks like it and the violence is in no way an end in itself. Really every single aspect fits perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom