• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

You can't pull HM1 apart like that. The gameplay is challenging, fast and fun, music is godly, story is mysterious/weird/crazy, it's set in the 80s and looks like it and the violence is in no way an end in itself. Really every single aspect fits perfectly.

basically you are saying you would play HM VN?
that's shocking revelation (><)

You can't pull HM1 apart like that.

Of course I can.

- simplistic graphics that will probably give you a headache
- awful controls
- hit detection that is seemingly optional
- plenty of glitches/crashes
- super repetitive levels
- very limited actions you can perform when the controls work, which they seldom do
- No real replay value beyond setting yourself challenges to do the same thing you have done 100 times already
- a poor camera system
- excessive loading times for what it is
- despite all the control issues, there is somehow no challenge.
+ music some people like
+ violence is cool

Hotline Miami simply isn't good and the sequel looks like it is more of the same. Granted many people liked it, but that was my experience with it.

Arthea

- awful controls
- very limited actions you can perform when the controls work, which they seldom do
- No real replay value beyond setting yourself challenges to do the same thing you have done 100 times already
- a poor camera system
+ music some people like
+ violence is cool

Hotline Miami simply isn't good and the sequel looks like it is more of the same.
now I understand what you mean!
You have a point here, a game kept crashing on me too
but I thought it might be win8 problem, that was buggy as hell at that time

ExoSoul

Banned
who here is not getting HM2?
Not for a while.

Of course I can.

- simplistic graphics that will probably give you a headache (I disagree but sure)
- awful controls
- plenty of glitches/crashes (seems to be on a case by case)
- super repetitive levels (again, I have to disagree. Kinda makes me wonder how far in you got)
- a poor camera system
- despite all the control issues, there is somehow no challenge

+ music some people like
+ violence is cool

Hotline Miami simply isn't good and the sequel looks like it is more of the same. Granted many people liked it, but that was my experience with it.

Did we play the same game?

derExperte

Of course I can.

- awful controls
- a poor camera system
+ music some people like
+ violence is cool

Hotline Miami simply isn't good and the sequel looks like it is more of the same.

Most of that is just not true. Like awful controls, wtf? They are literally perfect. 100% spot on. Also I don't know when you played the game but over time they patched it a lot.

_hekk05

Banned
Hotline miami still regularly bugs out and crashes frequently for me, and by that I mean every 3 missions or so. Definitely going to wait for HM2

Of course I can.

- awful controls
- a poor camera system
+ music some people like
+ violence is cool

I'll give you that loading one.

Miguel81

Hotline Miami is excellent, especially after I picked up a DS4 to play it with. Really nails a crazy neon-soaked 80s atmosphere, with a soundtrack that gets you pumped. The chapter 8 bug/crash was my biggest issue with it. Supposedly, that got patched(?).

Did we play the same game?

Yes.

Since you questioned if I finished it, I should also add

- It is short, even including the time it takes to idle for cards.
- All the boss battles suck and highlight the previous issues.

I did play it near release, so I'm glad if things got fixed up.

Ozium

Never. Soundtrack of the first game convinced me not to buy the first game. So not going to get the sequel.

E69WWMD.gif

Deques

you mean you are going to buy the game but not play it you just want the payday 2 content?

how does the payday 2 content work? I honestly don't care about payday 2 and don't want it, is it something I can give away or is it just activated at the same time the game is?

I don't know if you actually are getting actual payday dlcs. I believe you have to own HM2 to get the content

ExoSoul

Banned
Yes.

Since you questioned if I finished it, I should also add

- It is short, even including the time it takes to idle for cards.
- All the boss battles suck and highlight the previous issues.

I did play it near release, so I'm glad if things got fixed up.

Potential spoilers

So you're saying that the glass house level plays the same as the police station level that plays the same as the hospital level that plays the same as the swat raid level that plays the same as the disco level?

Am I being trolled?
I have to be right?

Dr Dogg

And in here I thought we all understood and respected differences of opinion. I bet my love of Watch_Dogs goes down like a cup of sick huh.

Jawmuncher

And in here I thought we all understood and respected differences of opinion. I bet my love of Watch_Dogs goes down like a cup of sick huh.

But I liked Watch Dogs too.
¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

I've never cared much for what people like or dislike since at the end of the day it doesn't affect me. I can disagree but i'll never say they're wrong for what they like.

Arthea

STEAM | April 2015 - Opinions and how they work
am I right?

also, kindly read your PMs, please

Potential spoilers

So you're saying that the glass house level plays the same as the police station level that plays the same as the hospital level that plays the same as the swat raid level that plays the same as the disco level?

Am I being trolled?
I have to be right?

toddhunter usually has some very pointed remarks to say about games. I can usually agree with some of them to some degree. This one's just so far off-base to make it look like trolling, even though I don't suspect it is.

I'm not going to say the game is perfect. But hating on the controls? The cont-rols? The C-O-N-T-R-O-L-S (pronounced with James Brown / Brass Band call and response.)

That game is so responsive that it almost becomes punishing on its own right.

ExoSoul

Banned
Style of music literally gave me headaches. Sorry, don't really like to play games that do that.

How can you not love Silver Lights?
I'm the first to admit that it's not for everyone xD

Opinions are fine and everyone has one but some times some things are said that are just...

I'm gonna take a breather.

Edit: It's kinda the same as seeing someone say that Journey has a terrible art direction and relies too much on brown/yellow colours.

Opinions not respected, on the internet? Surely we live in a dark age!

Seriously though, there is a general group think on gaming forums that will get you flack if you step of the path. Some examples

1. Criticising Valve or Steam for anything. (not this community either)
2. Liking a Bethesda game
3. Questioning VR

derExperte

There are limits. Liking W_D? Does not cross the line. Hating Hotline Miami? Crosses the line. Hating Hotline Miami's soundtrack? Let's nuke the line from orbit.

Ozium

no one is saying you can't like hamburger

we are saying it's foolish to claim that a top of the line porterhouse is actually salisbury steak

if it works for The Order devs...

This one's just so far off-base to make it look like trolling, even though I don't suspect it is.

I never troll, I just call it like I see it and this is how I see Hotline Miami. I'll also say similar negative things about much loved games like Shovel Knight, which will impress even more people.

I'm not exactly sure why I would feel the need to do so, so feel free to put me in my place if it is too annoying.

Arthea

IDK guys, is like you don't even know todd, should I link my favourite review of her again?
Some people have strong or harsh opinions, people are different and all that stuff.

fantomena

My OlliOlli 2 video is finally out. Had some problems with my Elgato, but fixed it yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZIIGBWqzI

Without a dobut one of the best (the best?) 2D skateboarding game ever made.

If you have played the first game (which you should, it's out on "all" plattforms) you know what to expect.

Still, OlliOlli 2 features a shitload of more content and a lot of other cooler themes.

Such an amazing game. Shouldn't take too long before it releases on PC.

How do I kick in Dark Souls? I know the control as provided by one of the hints (left stick + R1 - Dualshock 4 controller) but I can't always pull it off.

Am I supposed to tilt it and then press R1 or do it at the same time? I'm confused.

I never troll, I just call it like I see it and this is how I see Hotline Miami. I'll also say similar negative things about much loved games like Shovel Knight, which will impress even more people.

I'm not exactly sure why I would feel the need to do so, so feel free to put me in my place if it is too annoying.

Yikes. I don't think my tone came across as intended. I meant it as a light-hearted prod. I've seen you around enough to know you're doing nothing more than expressing your honest opinions.

But so help me fucking God if you start talking about Shovel Knight...

1v1 mid

ExoSoul

Banned
How do I kick in Dark Souls? I know the control as provided by one of the hints (left stick + R1 - Dualshock 4 controller) but I can't always pull it off.

Am I supposed to tilt it and then press R1 or do it at the same time? I'm confused.
Flick the stick against the enemy when you press the button.

Miguel81

Sometimes it's a bit difficult to pull off, sorta like the jumping mechanic. It is the Left Stick forward + R1 at the same time. Takes a bit of practice to get it down.

IDK guys, is like you don't even know todd, should I link my favourite review of her again?
Some people have strong or harsh opinions, people are different and all that stuff.

Ok yeah...I have trolled once or twice :p But trolling the steam community is a different and much more fun thing.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Found a good deal on an xbone controller on Friday, arrived this morning at my work. Can't wait to get home and try it out. Don't have an xbone or PS4 so I was just waiting on one of those controllers to hit the "I can probably upgrade from my Dualshock 3 now" level.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'm not getting it right away. I've still not beat the first one, it gets very hard and after I play it for a bit I get frustrated and go play something else. So until either:

A) I beat Hotline Miami 1

or

B) HM2 goes on a great super sale

I won't be getting it. Plus, Cities Skylines is about to take over all of my gaming time, so I wouldn't have time to play it now anyway....

More or less at the same time, but the timing is a little tricky and it never feels that consistent under pressure. If you are struggling, it is likely you are pushing forward too slow as it only registers at the end of the push, not the start (so forward and then when you are at the end of the motion R1, but it is only a subtle difference of a few frames)

Ban Puncher

I think Hotline Miami was...kind of garbage, pretty much the Mortal Kombat of top down games. Remove the violence and you are left with something nobody would bother playing.

Never. Soundtrack of the first game convinced me not to buy the first game. So not going to get the sequel.

ScW3n2P.gif

hXggMl2.gif

Me because Australia gonna Australia.

back in my day differences of opinion were appreciated and explored

nowadays people post dumb gifs or call them trolling

I wish. No time in the foreseeable future, so I think I'll wait on it.

I think Hotline Miami was...kind of garbage, pretty much the Mortal Kombat of top down games. Remove the violence and you are left with something nobody would bother playing.

todd, please.

Knurek

Not Steam related, but all DROD games are 78% off on GOG.

This included both the newly released DROD 5: The Second Sky, as well as DROD 4: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder which is a great place to start with the series.

Best puzzle games available on PC, hands down.

Also, DROD games will soon be on steam and maybe it will be possible to get them on steam even by buying on GOG. It works like this: regardless of where you buy a DROD game, you can add it to your caravel forum account by mailing them the receipt (I did that for all games purchased at three different stores ;-). This way you are entitled to download game binaries, patches etc. but also - supposedly - you will get a steam key for each game you own after it's launched on steam (source: http://www.caravelgames.com/Articles/News.php "When the game is released on Steam, everyone who has a registered copy of the game can receive a free Steam key.")

Flick the stick against the enemy when you press the button.

Thanks, I'll try this out.

Sometimes it's a bit difficult to pull off, sorta like the jumping mechanic. It is the Left Stick forward + R1 at the same time. Takes a bit of practice to get it down.

I see. Yeah, it is tricky. I'll try this.

You can kick in DS!?

Yes! It's in one of the hints that you can read earlier on. :)

More or less at the same time, but the timing is a little tricky and it never feels that consistent under pressure. If you are struggling, it is likely you are pushing forward too slow as it only registers at the end of the push, not the start (so forward and then when you are at the end of the motion R1, but it is only a subtle difference of a few frames)

Yeah it's very tricky. I think you're right that I'm pushing the left stick too slow.

If I can't do it, then I suppose I'll give it a miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom