• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
spoiled about potential spoilers in the article? ;)

either way - it's not my fault if some people can't be bothered to read a short article in its entirety :p
Nah, i totally agree with you. It's just to avoid problems. It's not like we dont see people that dont read OP's here in neogaf, so it's not an unfounded thing :p
Back on topic: that's interesting. Maybe we're controlling
Arkham Knight
in the game?

Trying to buy from Nuuvem using HOLA, but every time I turn it off to pay the game just disappears from the cart. How do you buy using HOLA?

To pay for the game, I click the paypal button and it displays the overlay. I then click Log in and a new window pops up, when that new window pops up I disable HOLA, fill in the details there and it seems to work for me.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

for Copons, with love <3

;)

P6tN2og.jpg

Phawx

Cross posting from indie thread, but even though this game isn't even announced for Steam yet, you guys HAVE to check it out. It's made by the guys who made Risk of Rain:

My LP of Deadbolt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiYXFfOxNTs

Go here to see the gifv: http://i.imgur.com/abiApVG.gifv

Quick Impressions: It literally is the mashup of Gunpoint (presentation) and Hotline Miami (mechanics). It is amazingly satisfying to play. Game requires KB&M and your aiming reticule changes based on distance + type of weapon you're using. You can go through vents and toilets sneak/evade enemies in the area. You can shut off the lights by either triggering the light switch or shooting the actual light bulb on the ceiling. There are a few ways to get the attention of the enemies. You can either quickly show yourself and then evade through the stairs, you can fire your gun within radius of the enemies or you can knock on a closed door to get their attention. It's only an alpha right now but the game feels crazy polished. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My LP of KeeperRL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8OJv4R8vuI&list=PLdC3pP79J-A9vVBkItqiJkURqd3aUW2Lv

keeper_screen803-fill-800x468.png

Quick Impressions: KeeperRL is a dungeon sim + roguelike. Technically there are two games within KeeperRL, you can either be the dungeon master or the adventurer. Going as an adventurer is basically like playing the game as a simple roguelike. The only cool twist I can think of mentioning is that after you "retire" a DM game, you can then play as an adventurer through a map that you've already completed.

The main game is all about instructing your imps to dig/cut trees to gather resources and build your dungeon. Building out areas like libraries and if they are big enough will have different monsters join your ranks. Libraries bring Orc Shamans, Training grounds bring Orcs and Ogres. Recruiting too many too fast will result in not being able to pay them in gold fast enough. You can either mine for gold or kill your enemies and take their gold. Hoarding a little gold will bring bandits to come and try to rob you. Hoarding too much gold will force one of two dragons to come and take your gold. If you cut too many trees, you'll invoke the wrath of the tree spirits.

Much like Rogue, there seems to be a tremendous amount of depth to this early access game already, but not everything is fully baked yet, like deities. For instance, you can either have your legs crushed or cut off, which will result in you limping or crawling. Likewise you can have your arm cut off and you'll visibly see that your weapon is on the ground on the map.

There is a free demo that you can try of the game, but you'll be restricted to only using the ASCII art. Additionally the game is open-source which only excludes the art/sound assets.

Highly recommended even in it's alpha state.

no gifs ... PLEEEEEEEASE ; _ ;

Done and done. Added the link to the gifv which I recommend quick viewing.

lashman

Cross posting from indie thread, but even though this game isn't even announced for Steam yet, you guys HAVE to check it out. It's made by the guys who made Risk of Rain:

- snip -

no gifs ... PLEEEEEEEASE ; _ ;

Done and done. Added the link to the gifv which I recommend quick viewing.

thanks :) I mean - you can post videos, by all means ... just use webms :)

DocSeuss

Hello GAF!

I've been having a bit of a hard time lately. My aunt passed away on Friday and I'm finding it hard to deal with. It's been a long time since I've seen my mom in such a state and it's hard.

I'm feeling bad because it's been over a month now since the last release of Enhanced Steam, which is probably the longest time that's passed between updates since it's inception. Life has been tough on me the last few weeks, and every time I sit down to write some code, it's like something else happens that needs my attention. Lately I've buried myself in gaming because it's my "default mode" of reducing stress, and this weekend it's helped in my grieving process.

Anyway, I'm not trying to derail the thread or anything. Just wanted to give people a heads up that the next ES / IM updates (and the release of SISF) may not happen as quickly as I would like them to.

do what you need, aquaman

wetflame

Pizza Dog

My LP of Deadbolt:

Looks fantastic. Will keep an eye out for it!

Dr Dogg

What's with the persecution of gif's lately? Sure they're a bit long in the tooth but apng or webp is the image animation replacement format we want not video files like webm's. Of course I'm like a broken record on the subject.

Ruruja

Man that guy is just straight up shouting at him.

Wasn't the best Kinect game Child of Eden?

What's with the persecution of gif's lately? Sure they're a bit long in the tooth but apng or webp is the image animation replacement format we want not video files like webm's. Of course I'm like a broken record on the subject.

I've noticed a few people around NeoGAF posting ~80mb gifs and at that point you might as well just post a video.

lashman

it's not that they're bad
(ok, they ARE bad)
, but it's mostly because even the shortest, smallest video is like 20-50MB ... and no sound

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What is the allure in that for you Jase?

But you are always here, so you would fit in that regard at least.

AusGAF needs a second representative now that EatChildren is no longer a mod and I think I've shown in the almost-five-years since my first and only ban that I'm a good contributor. ;)

Edit: Shelter 2 came with pre-purchase DLC? I just bought it because it was 30% off.

lashman

AusGAF needs a second representative now that EatChildren is no longer a mod and I think I've shown in the almost-five-years since my first and only ban that I'm a good contributor. ;)

Jase got banned? whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? O_O

what for?

Nabs

People just haven't upgraded to Canary :)

JaseC

Jase got banned? whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? O_O

what for?

Someone was being unfairly dogpiled on in the thread wherein it was revealed that Alan Wake X360 ran at an SD+ resolution of 960x540 and I told somebody that he'd be a "fucking idiot" if what he posted implied what I thought it did given the aforementioned person had explained himself several times already (it didn't). I quickly apologised, but that didn't save me. I've been a good boy since, I swear!

JaseC

Heh.
"If you watched the IGN vid of Firewatch and were underwhelmed, trust me, they messed up EVERY moment of their playthrough. Skipped every great line, interacted with everything in the least interesting way possible."

It was interesting enough. The game seems to be in quite a good state so I'm hoping it's no more than 6 months off.

denx

Does Valve care about gamers these days or are they solely focused on profits now?

... aaaaaaaaand another one ;) seems like we're getting one of these daily now ;)

This is about Half-Life 3 isn't it

Thanks everyone.

I plan to hopefully have some time to dive into coding a bit this week. It's comforting because it's familiar, and it helps keep my mind busy. The time away from the code has given me a lot of good ideas for things that need to be done and I'm itching to get them done if I can find the time.

Stay strong man. Best of luck to you and don't worry too much about ES, there won't be revolts in the streets because you're taking a break from it (hopefully).

I liked No Country for Old Men. Yes, even the ending. And that's the limit of my Cormac McCarthy knowledge.

Funny you mention that, I just started reading Blood Meridian, McCarthy sure isn't the biggest fan of punctuation.

DocSeuss

Heh.
"If you watched the IGN vid of Firewatch and were underwhelmed, trust me, they messed up EVERY moment of their playthrough. Skipped every great line, interacted with everything in the least interesting way possible."

I want to believe this is true, because A) there were actions the player took that made me wonder if they'd ever played a game before and B) the game looked really boring. You just... walk around.

Dr Dogg

I've noticed a few people around NeoGAF posting ~80mb gifs and at that point you might as well just post a video.

it's not that they're bad
(ok, they ARE bad)
, but it's mostly because even the shortest, smallest video is like 20-50MB ... and no sound

Gif's have had they're day but wemb isn't their replacement. No user agent embeds and plays them out the box so you're relying on the viewer to have their browser setup with what ever plugin is required. Also sound isn't what you want when having multiple instances on a page. It's nice and all but video is meant to be consumed one at a time where you can have a whole host of animations playing at once and go from one to the next. In short animated pictures are meant to be short snippets that are easy to digest one after the next of multiple at a time where as videos have more scope to be larger and more varied in their elements but only one at a time.

Here's something that might give some folks some ideas.

http://littlesvr.ca/apng/gif_apng_webp.html

Now APNG's don't play in any of the popular browsers out the box but webp's do play in webkit browsers and are of a higher quality compression algorithm and can come in at a lower filesize than gif's (created from the same source). Really png's should have won and then that recursive backronym 'png's not gif's' would be the perfect slogan :(

People just haven't upgraded to Canary :)

Probably, though I use a combination of chrome, Chromium and Canary and it's only when every other post is a gif that things go to sit on Chrome (the Besiege thread just dies the moment I open it). One or two on the other hand isn't even an issue.

Ruruja

Really png's should have one and then that recursive backronym png's not gif's would be the perfect slogan :(

But is the g in apng soft or hard?

Last time I looked into it Google went with webp and Mozilla went with apng, so unless they figure something out and come to an agreement, I can't see any progress being made.

Dr Dogg

But is the g in apng soft or hard?

Last time I looked into it Google went with webp and Mozilla went with apng, so unless they figure something out and come to an agreement, I can't see any progress being made.

It's silent.

Though seeing as the HTML 5 official spec is years and years way from being finalised who know's something new might pop up. It was going to be Ogg files for multimedia at one point.

Parsnip

The fun part is that I've seen some people praise the "new" gifv format that imgur introduced...
Which is really just a webm or mp4 in a fake gif wrapper. REVOLUTIONARY.

It's a shame that Firefox is still refusing to implement webp. And lagging behind on MSE stuff.

If you wanna be an asshole be an accurate one. I dislike Minecraft and I have Gone Home but I dont remember much of it to even tell what the game was. Look at my library and be maybe a bit more accurate on the shade you want to throw at me you dying franchise lover.

lmfaoooo damn son, that last part hurt. :(

#savetheprinnies

Does Valve care about gamers these days or are they solely focused on profits now?

... aaaaaaaaand another one ;) seems like we're getting one of these daily now ;)
Until the next Half-Life releases there will be those people who complain that Valve doesn't make games anymore. And by games they mean Half-Life.
It's silent.

Though seeing as the HTML 5 official spec is years and years way from being finalised who know's something new might pop up. It was going to be Ogg files for multimedia at one point.

Anything is better than GIF.

Dr Dogg

The fun part is that I've seen some people praise the "new" gifv format that imgur introduced...
Which is really just a webm or mp4 in a fake gif wrapper. REVOLUTIONARY.

It's a shame that Firefox is still refusing to implement webp. And lagging behind on MSE stuff.

The last couple of years is starting to remind me of the mid 90's browser wars. Well except seeing WH Smiths counter stuffed with install discs for Netscape, AOL etc.

Ban Puncher

Someone was being unfairly dogpiled on in the thread wherein it was revealed that Alan Wake X360 ran at an SD+ resolution of 960x540 and I told somebody that he'd be a "fucking idiot" if what he posted implied what I thought it did given the aforementioned person had explained himself several times already (it didn't). I quickly apologised, but that didn't save me. I've been a good boy since, I swear!

I got perm'd as a junior.

True story.

JaseC

Oh god, I thought my headphones were on the fritz again (lower volume out of the left speaker), but it's just the front audio jack that's slightly buggered for some reason.

After playing two hours and getting to the next area of Hero Siege, here are some impressions:

The gameplay: As soon as you load it up, the devil head and the font treatment say "Hey! This is supposed to be like Diablo!" and it....kinda is. Waves of enemies come at you, you kill 'em, you get xp, chests drop, you can acquire items with various effects and so on. Controls are twin-stick shooter, but you're limited to the four cardinal directions of attack (your enemies and, in my case, your arrow turrets, have no such limitation.) So don't go in expecting Diablo Smash TV. There are various different classes to choose from - I chose Marksman, so I'm able to shoot from a distance, plant arrow turrets, and every so often shoot twice, shoot a homing rocket or throw a grenade, based on how many points I put into the passives respectively. It will be interesting to see how the melee classes fare.

There are five waves of enemies per level, followed by a midboss as its own wave. In addition to standard enemies, there are destructible lairs that spawn non-wave enemies, and various environmental objects that damage you (ballistae, skull statues that spit bullets at you, spike traps, etc.) The end of the fifth level - the 30th wave - contains an actual boss. After that you can go to the next area...and be able to start from there. Boss killed you? You get to start right back at wave 1. After death you get to keep your levels and your charm (each midboss drops a charm with random stats on it. I got a good one early on and even in the second area the charms don't seem appreciably different) but you lose your temporary gains from potions or the shop, you lose your gold and you lose any relics (relics appear in front of the portal to the next area after beating a midboss. Some are good, some have benefits and drawbacks. One, for example, jacked up my strength by a huge amount but killed my attack speed and my damage reduction.)

You: Okay, someguyinahat, get to the damn point! Is it FUN?

Me: Yes. It's fun. In a sense, I could see where it could get samey or repetitive, but that never stopped Diablo II from being fun. It also never stopped Spelunky from being fun - there's a similarity in that permadeath level climb to the end. The added challenge in each level, the punishments for dying, they drive you to succeed.

The graphics: Simple, cartoony, but overall well done. It's like a cross between the Binding of Isaac and a mobile game. And I say that in the most complimentary terms possible.

The story: ...the what? If there is one, I haven't found it. Maybe in the title screen or something. Doesn't matter. Nobody cared about who the Horadrim were either short of what their cube could do.

The voice acting: B-movie bad. The Marksman sounds like he came out of Bionic Heart (so much so that if there were credits I'd actually check!) and his lines fare little better. The midbosses also have their own lines. There's an Egyptian-style midboss who summons sand tornadoes and every so often will tell you "I want my mummy." ...I can't make this shit up, folks.

The music and sound effects: It's okay, for a budget title. It's not bad, nothing to write home about.

The verdict: Despite locking multiplayer behind a paywall and making "Siege Mode" a DLC, it's currently on sale for 3 bucks. Is it worth it? Yes. Yes it is. Heck, the regular DLC is currently 75% off for 75 cents. I actually bought it just now, and I hardly ever buy DLC! But that sale has like an hour left so if you want it, hurry. I have no idea if that was worth my extra Steam wallet change but I'll find out.

Think I'll go play it some more right now.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel kind of like a loser for never being banned

not even like a month ban

it's like i'm not controversial enough ;_;

JaseC

i feel kind of like a loser for never being banned

not even like a month ban

it's like i'm not controversial enough ;_;

If I ever do become a mod, you have my word that I'll ban you for a month so you can then hang with the cool kids.

Dr Dogg

Oh god, I thought my headphones were on the fritz again (lower volume out of the left speaker), but it's just the front audio jack that's slightly buggered for some reason.

At least your didn't explode when you had them on your head. I would put it down to they were held together with about half a roll of insulation tape but I do have quite a fat head. That was £100 I wasn't expecting to have to fork out last month but even after repair #346 bits of them kept on falling off whilst I was trying to work so it was becoming quite an annoyance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom