• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

me0wish

is it me or does it not look that nice visually?
I think it looked better back when we first saw gameplay, or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me and it always looked like that. I haven't really paid much attention to this game besides the times i see it on gaf.

Yeah, some of the "newer" areas don't look meh, especially the train and the factory screenshots, looks very inconsistent, still having high hopes for the game.

Phawx

Am I weird for not caring about VR at all?

So far I think the HTC Vive route is the best way to go. Having said that, I still think even though it's technically possible to have a good time with it, they really need to sort out all of the friction issues.

Current list of things that need to be solved or smoothed over:

Self-Powered with wireless display/sound
Better ergonomics
Machines that cost <$1000 to run properly
Controller Standards
Moving vs Seated VR categories

Right now my favorite types of VR games are ones that deal with vertigo or ones that have a Virtual Desk/Computer. Horror games lend themselves very well to 'playing a game on a virtual computer' and reading notes or whatever and having the 'virtual room' respond to stuff in the game.

That stuff is super freaky.

VR has a lot of baggage.

Se7en ways Dark Souls 3 is set to avoid FromSoft fatigue
Dark Souls III isn&#8217;t far away now - you can almost taste the metallic tinge of repeated frustrating deaths. However, releasing so many Souls-esque games in such quick succession has lead to concerns of From Fatigue for even the most hardcore of players - a feeling that, no matter what the developer does with each iteration, there&#8217;s not enough new for each game to make the desired impact.

"Medium of the future"

"You don't know how good it is unless you've tried it"

"Obviously going to get bigger as time goes on"

"It's just a niche product with room to grow!"

I think that about covers it.

Disco-Stu-trend.jpg

yuraya

Oceanhorn for a buck is good deal. Humble has redeemed themselves after that one atrocious f2p bundle not too long ago.

Never understood the complaints for Souls fatigue. There is nothing there to be fatigued about. Its not like they are pushing some story and the gameplay is not repetitive at all. There are so many build varieties, enemy variety, different areas to explore and bosses to fight. I don't see how anyone can get fatigued by it. FROM has released 5 games along with a ton of high quality DLC in the past 7 years and they've knocked it all out of the park. There is no reason why they can't continue doing it. I expect them to unveil a new ip in this years E3 and release the game this time next year. These guys are on fire.

jediyoshi

Bizarre hotfix for Arkham Knight out of nowhere with a single patch note

Addressed an issue with combat speed. FreeFlow combat speed now increases in line with successful consecutive critical strikes.

150mb

redlacs

just a reminder that tuesday maintenance is around the corner and with it the 15 day trade/market hold on items should take place.
so if you're not using the mobile authenticator and will need some wallet credit ready for the spring sale (in two weeks, right?), now would be good time to sell the stuff

Jawmuncher

That's a pretty bad article. It's just the common hype train and lord Miyazaki talk

Oceanhorn for a buck is good deal. Humble has redeemed themselves after that one atrocious f2p bundle not too long ago.

Never understood the complaints for Souls fatigue. There is nothing there to be fatigued about. Its not like they are pushing some story and the gameplay is not repetitive at all. There are so many build varieties, enemy variety, different areas to explore and bosses to fight. I don't see how anyone can get fatigued by it. FROM has released 5 games and a ton of high quality DLC in the past 7 years and they've knocked it all out of the park. There is no reason why they can't continue doing it. I expect them to unveil a new ip in this years E3 and release the game this time next year. These guys are on fire.

I can understand why some are fatigued since I'm fatigues myself. The series doesn't have the uniqueness like it used to. The formula has only been changed slightly every game.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
From Software should give the series a minor break and apply maybe some stuff learned from Soul series to new IPs or revivals.

Arthea

I can't believe how good that HB is, it's one of the best all time for sure.
Unless second week additions will be bad, but that would be strange, wouldn't it? Why ruin such a great bundle, I mean.

As for Mind zero given to the port, I'll still buy it and play it, resolution be damned if it's bug free, although that won't happen any time soon, considering situation
and by situation I mean TOOMANYGAMES

unrelated edit: I still can't give a damn about VR, maybe because it won't make Trails any better or Stardew Valley or Steing Gate or Civ or card games, not sure about Dang still
well, you get my drift, totally useless your VRs are
it's simply true

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Are you saying... Armored Core? ^_^

Armored Core, Otogi, Lost Kingdoms, Chromehounds, New IPs. From Software has forgotten mostly about doing other things for most of the part. Last games that were not part of the Soul series were Armored Core Verdict Day and I think Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. They used to make more things before in the PS2/GC/Xbox days.

Mr. Doop

This week's bundle is actually really good. Far better than that awful f2p bundle they did a while back. Oceanhorn is that game that looks a lot like Wind Waker, right? How was it anyway? Been meaning to check it out.

Arthea

This week's bundle is actually really good. Far better than that awful f2p bundle they did a while back. Oceanhorn is that game that looks a lot like Wind Waker, right? How was it anyway? Been meaning to check it out.

All you need to know it has Uematsu soundtrack, I'm yet to see any bad game Maestro worked on, he's not that kind of a guy.

unrelated edit: oh yea, today is the day we bury the market too, right after we buried trading. good riddance, all good things end some day.

kagamin

48 USD for #FE, thank you based Prime Discount. &#9829;

Armored Core, Otogi, Lost Kingdoms, Chromehounds, New IPs. From Software has forgotten mostly about doing other things for most of the part. Last games that were not part of the Soul series were Armored Core Verdict Day and I think Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. They used to make more things before in the PS2/GC/Xbox days.

I liked Lost Kingdoms 2 a lot.

Messiah

just a reminder that tuesday maintenance is around the corner and with it the 15 day trade/market hold on items should take place.
so if you're not using the mobile authenticator and will need some wallet credit ready for the spring sale (in two weeks, right?), now would be good time to sell the stuff
Such a sad day. I used the market a lot. :(

And I am salty because it hits right as the blazblue stuff becomes tradable.

Uraizen

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Wars Battlefront II -- MB-9FD15C4A2F61CDCA - Taken by Costa1774. 15 entrants total.
Star Wars: Dark Forces -- MB-7D35FF74D240C8FA - Taken by Fare Godmace. 1 entrants total.

t1457468314z1.png

Ludens

Banned
he was supposed to do soundtrack, I remember from announcement times.
Whatever happened to that?
It seems I need to investigate this issue.

The track apparenty is on iOS/Android version, but not on PC.
But apparenty it's included into Steam OST DLC for the game.

Nabs

Riot just bought Radiant (Rising Thunder, Stonehearth) for an unnamed project. Valve needs to buy someone and make that Dota fighting game before League of Fighters comes out.

I would love for From Software to get away from the Souls franchise if it meant they'd develop more games.

Their output went from 3-4 games a year to 1-2 every couple years, which is pretty disappointing.

Then again, I really like their Souls games...hmm conflicted.

Phinor

If you happen to like RTS games, don't ignore Grey Goo at the $12 tier if you are going for the lower tiers anyway. It's simply a good, very well done good old RTS with proper SP campaign and gorgeous cinematics. No idea about the MP though, maybe that's why it has only 70% positive, 30% negative Steam reviews.

Parsnip

I think there was a licensing problem and Uematsu soundtrack isn't in the PC version.

I refuse to believe that.
Is it really true?

That's what I've heard too. But he only did one track in the game anyway.

he was supposed to do soundtrack, I remember from announcement times.
Whatever happened to that?
It seems I need to investigate this issue.

I don't know about licensing issues, but when I played Oceanhorn on PC, neither Uematsu or Ito tracks were there.
It's very likely that they just made the contract specifically for the mobile game rather than all future platforms. And like Teppic said, the mobile versions had like maybe 3-4 songs total from these Japanese fellas, Kalle Ylitalo is the main composer of the soundtrack even on mobile.

Thanks to jshackles' generosity, I won Oceanhorn in a giveaway.

I've played only about 20-30 minutes so far, but I like what I'm seeing.

- Really nice, bright graphics.

- Smooth controls (360 controller here). Combat is good. Interacting with the world is seamless. It's easy to dash, pick up items, etc. The only thing I would want added is a jump button!

- The story and acting are "good for a video game," which means the story is ridiculous and the acting is barely decent, but it works, lol.

- For some reason, the game started out windowboxed for me. I fiddled with something in the settings - not sure what - and that fixed it.

- Obviously inspired by Zelda and the like. The main character even looks like Link. No objections here. :)

Well worth a buck in the Humble Jumbo Bundle.

Thanks, jshackles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom