• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
what's conflicting for me about dks3 is that bamco and from straight out ripped off early adopters and i don't wanna fall for that trick again

i'm probably gonna preorder the game because it's dark souls but fuck them

Can't you buy the season pass later when additional content is announced? I know it's what I'm going to do, buying them separately is barely more expensive than buying them together.
Yeah, maybe I'll do that. I'll be trading in a couple games to get a Steam card so I may just buy the DLC pass this summer or something.
Depends on how you play, honestly.

Personally, I couldn't be bothered with the deluxe because, as I learned with Dark Souls 2, I do not go back to a souls game a month or two after I get it and want to explore a new area. I find that I'd rather they be integrated into a full playthrough... and by the time the DLC releases, I will have moved on after getting 100% and will be playing other things. With Dark Souls 2, I managed to get the SP from the Russian Bear... but when the DLCs dropped, I had no interest in playing them one at a time and then waiting for the next one after banking 160h.

When the game re-released in 2015 with all DLC integrated and remixed/increased enemies and items... then I had interest in restarting with a new character and doing it all over again. I fully expect the same thing to be applicable for my experience with DS3 (hence the regular version for now).

The DS and DS2 DLC content was all very well done though, so yeah, the quality has been there in the past (the Bloodborne DLC content was fantastic too).
Playing Souls 1 DLC right now, never did play Bloodborne's (never will either, 60fps Souls spoiled me).

yuraya

Since we are on the topic of Souls DLC.

Sunken King > Artorias of the Abyss > Ivory King > Iron King

They are all really good tho and DS3 will be adding two more.

Grief.exe

what's conflicting for me about dks3 is that bamco and from straight out ripped off early adopters and i don't wanna fall for that trick again

i'm probably gonna preorder the game because it's dark souls but fuck them

- putting dx11 behind a paywall
- adding content that's not included in the season pass and not selling it directly but forcing you to "upgrade" instead
- fragmenting the community with two different versions of dks2

You are making an argument about DLC practices, which are inherently predatory throughout essentially the entire industry, and stretching that to early adopters of the game.

I don't see how a day one purchase should be impacted by any of this evidence.

They fragmented the DS1 community when they never bothered to get people off the beta. And that is the same game.

That seems like an oversight.

neonglow

Is Not A Hero worth buying for $3.24? The videos makes it look fun but I want some feedback.

header.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
You are making an argument about DLC practices, which are inherently predatory throughout essentially the entire industry, and stretching that to early adopters of the game.

i mean, i've bought season passes and preordered games and haven't ran into crap like this before so that's my reason to not feel too confident, cos i know it can be done right and in the case of dark souls 2 it hasn't

Yes. It is still there as an opt in. The beta and non-beta are exactly the same but uses different MP pools.

There are still players who switched over early that are in the beta pool unwittingly.
I never switched back because I thought the original was still GFWL. Guess that's why I never see anybody lol.
I had no idea. I'm still opt in for that beta. Time to switch it back to normal.

Yeah samesies.

Sch1sm

Is Not A Hero worth buying for $3.24? The videos makes it look fun but I want some feedback.

header.jpg

How do you like games such as Gunpoint? Or RONIN? Kinda similar in terms of level design/mechanic, pretty sure. I believe old man corrosivefrost finished it, so maybe he can let you know. I didn't finish the whole thing, so I don't want to say yes/no, really.

Really, though, I hate that question. Is it worth it? Does it look like something you'd enjoy? Then $3.24 is no amount.

I still wonder if we would've ever seen the DX11 version with it's "Director's Cut" type properties if the original hadn't launched on the PS3/x360 leaving room to do a DC type version when the game was brought over to PS4/X1.

Bandai Namco played it extremely smart, using the porting to the new generation of consoles as a reason to make a remixed version of sorts, which they marketed to PC as well.

i mean, i've bought season passes and preordered games and haven't ran into crap like this before so that's my reason to not feel too confident, cos i know it can be done right and in the case of dark souls 2 it hasn't

It was done fine, from my perspective. Granted, I have a bit of a soft spot for the FROM souls games (and Bloodborne), but still... all it really takes for me to not consider it bad form is for reasonable discounts to be offered to previous customers in a fair and consistent manner. I was given a sizable discount off the director's cut (which is essentially what SotFS is) and had it grown by the fact that I had bought the Season Pass and never bothered to play it. I was happy with how they handled it.

Really, though, I hate that question. Is it worth it? Does it look like something you'd enjoy? Then $3.24 is no amount.

I knew I liked you for a reason. Unless someone else has the same exact tastes, same exact opinions, same exact finances, etc. there's no way I can realistically answer "Is this worth <x"?" for another poster. It's impossible.

Not a Hero is a fun game. Some of the challenges are a bit... frustrating, if you're a 100% completion type of gamer. The humor can be great or very off-putting, depending on what you normally find funny. There are some technical issues with double input from controller, I believe, that were introduced in the patch that added achievements and still haven't been fixed, but I still managed to 100% the game. I'd say it's worth $3.25 to me, definitely. But that's me.

zkylon

zkylewd
i didn't like not a hero, the gameplay didn't hook me and the humor fell super flat too

It was done fine, from my perspective. Granted, I have a bit of a soft spot for the FROM souls games (and Bloodborne), but still... all it really takes for me to not consider it bad form is for reasonable discounts to be offered to previous customers in a fair and consistent manner. I was given a sizable discount off the director's cut (which is essentially what SotFS is) and had it grown by the fact that I had bought the Season Pass and never bothered to play it. I was happy with how they handled it.
but the upgrade costs 30 dollars -__-

neonglow

yes. one of my favorites of last year and one of the few games i completed 100%

How do you like games such as Gunpoint? Or RONIN? Kinda similar in terms of level design/mechanic, pretty sure. I believe old man corrosivefrost finished it, so maybe he can let you know. I didn't finish the whole thing, so I don't want to say yes/no, really.

It's not worth it. Don't buy or play video games.

Thanks for the feedback. I have Gunpoint in my library but haven't played it yet. I'll try that first then.

- putting dx11 behind a paywall
- adding content that's not included in the season pass and not selling it directly but forcing you to "upgrade" instead
- fragmenting the community with two different versions of dks2

Imagine if EA or Ubisoft offering DX upgrade behind a paywall and the other similar things. :)

Sch1sm

Thanks for the feedback. I have Gunpoint in my library but haven't played it yet. I'll try that first then.

Gunpoint was my favourite game of those I completed for the 52 Games a Year challenge for 2015. Love the soundtrack especially. Plays smoothly, as well. I played it through twice, still didn't 100% because of the secret ones. Really enjoyed it. It can get frustrating at times, I guess. There's no real issue with knocking out guards, in fact they only really become more "difficult" you could say in certain places - so in that case it's relatively easy. All the rewiring in terms of lights/doors/etc can get annoying, but I'd say some of the upgrades make up for that issue over time.

In case you missed it:

Not a Hero is a fun game. Some of the challenges are a bit... frustrating, if you're a 100% completion type of gamer. The humor can be great or very off-putting, depending on what you normally find funny. There are some technical issues with double input from controller, I believe, that were introduced in the patch that added achievements and still haven't been fixed, but I still managed to 100% the game. I'd say it's worth $3.25 to me, definitely. But that's me.

I never switched back because I thought the original was still GFWL. Guess that's why I never see anybody lol.

Yeah samesies.

I had no idea. I'm still opt in for that beta. Time to switch it back to normal.

If you are doing PvP get the Watchdog linked in the Steam forums. There is no official cheat oversight in DS and it protects you from the nasty hacked items that can ruin PvP.

It also checks for some other things but it won't pick up one-hit weps or infinite health.

Arminsc

well
they say there they plan to have a new 2 week bundle every single week

so that's even better than the weekly ones

(if they keep it consistent that is)

I agree, would be cool to also maintain the weekly, but that would probably affect the quality of the bundles eventually I guess.

I can't be assed to do a giveaway right now.

Post if you want one and I will PM you the code. First come first serve.

Empire at War Gold
Dark Forces
Dark Forces II
Battlefront II

iosefe

don't forget to use your 75% of 3 games coupon

funny enough, it seems to work on the complete collection, which last i checked wasn't actually complete

Looks like I have all those games except for the Dark Forces II expansion. I think I have the boxed version of a couple of those that I never played.

Come to think of it I have never played most of the boxed games that I own. I am like a Steam account come to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom