• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dominions 4 on a decent sale this week. If you want to see just how far down the turn-based strategy rabbit hole you're willing to go, you should check it out.

397 Page (!!!) rulebook since every system is Mariana's Trench deep, and they've thought out how all the systems potentially interact with each other, especially the insane magic system? Check.
Hilariously primitive graphics? Check.
Ability to play as an immovable obelisk that specializes in Blood Sacrifice? Check.
Less of a learning curve and more of a learning sheer cliff-face? Check.

This diary of it is hilarious: http://www.pcgamer.com/part-one-one-rocks-fight-to-become-top-deity/

I even found him in Talos.

lashman was the most helpful dude in The Talos Principle, he had some great motivational QR code quotes pasted about the place too.

What the hell is Nvidia up to lately, AMD cards really seem to shine in the latest games if you compare competitive models (GTX 970 vs R9 390)... atleast that's my general perception from the recent releases

from http://www.computerbase.de/2016-02/...abschnitt_benchmarks_von_full_hd_bis_ultra_hd

R9 390 is the best "enthusiast" (i.e people like us) card on the market, crazy value for the money even without the recent DX12 and other recent benchmarks. Plus a whole 4.5gb more VRAM ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Knurek

I would say a lot of "new" PC gamers bought the 970 thinking it will allow them to play games for 7-8 years.

Won't it?
Not talking about Crisis 5 running in 4kp60 on Ultra, but as long as it won't fry, you should get 7-8 years of playing games out of it.
I mean, with our backlogs, consisting mostly of past-gen/indie titles, I don't see a way to run out of games to play.

Won't it?
Not talking about Crisis 5 running in 4kp60 on Ultra, but as long as it won't fry, you should get 7-8 years of playing games out of it.
I mean, with our backlogs, consisting mostly of past-gen/indie titles, I don't see a way to run out of games to play.

Sure, you can get 7-8 years out of it surely, but it's kind of troubling when it already a year or so out is having trouble keep up with similar or even in some cases cheaper cards. It will last as long as you want but maybe not at the quality a lot of folks are expecting.

Well, I wouldn't say 7/8, but 5/6? Easily. The 970 is a fine card and it will continue to be a fine card for many years, unless you absolutely need to max every single setting every time.

Won't it?

I am sure you get 7-8 years out of playing it, but as you both said, maybe not max out every setting.

I think in 3 years we will see posts like "I bought a 970 three years ago and Half Life 3 wont run at highest settings. PC-Gaming is shit!"

MUnited83

For you.
Sure, you can get 7-8 years out of it surely, but it's kind of troubling when it already a year or so out is having trouble keep up with similar or even in some cases cheaper cards. It will last as long as you want but maybe not at the quality a lot of folks are expecting.
Aren't most of the cases where the 970 palestras in comparison to the competition unreleased games so far?

Knurek

It's called PC gaming, innit?
Nobody expects a mid-range GPU to last you more than 2-3 years if you play AAA titles.
It's still a BEAST, and should give you lots of fun provided you venture outside of that field.
I mean, it downclocks to 600 MHz for me while playing Danganronpa.
Heck, it downclocks to 135 MHz while playing Retroarch games.
Do I really need anything stronger provided I still have thousands of games in my backlog? Sure as hell not.

MUnited83

For you.
I really wonder why so many VR projects just got added on Steam today. I dont think its just because of the Vive preorder is it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4..._medium=SteamDB&utm_campaign=SteamDB App Page

That thing isnt coming out till fall.
It is because of the preorder. This is the best shot at visibility and get people to wishlist and be aware of your game. People are rushing like crazy to preorder Vives and will look at the games that will be available .

Add to that that the 970 is the floor for VR right now. As VR games start growing in fidelity you can bet your ass that the 970 won't keep up. And given that high fidelity is what everyone who buys into VR wants, I can already see Nvidia and AMD drooling at the notion of VR becoming a thing.

Knurek

New PC-Gamers expected it when I remember what they wrote when it was released.

Well, it's still stronger than console GPUs (VRAM not withstanding), so should be able to match them.
You know, 900p30 (with drops) on Medium, FXAA and no AF.
The way those games were meant to be played.

MUnited83

For you.
Add to that that the 970 is the floor for VR right now. As VR games start growing in fidelity you can bet your ass that the 970 won't keep up. And given that high fidelity is what everyone who buys into VR wants, I can already see Nvidia and AMD drooling at the notion of VR becoming a thing.
To be fair, most of the worthwhile VR games are going to be indie, and most of them will look pretty nice still and run well regardless

Agreed!

:|

Too expensive for now. Looking forward to early adopter impressions, but I don't even really know the differences between the big three as of now.

Vive has roomtracking and VR controllers.
Oculus has exclusive games, but no roomtracking and touch controllers (yet).
PSVR has exclusive games and runs on a closed system.

To be fair, most of the worthwhile VR games are going to be indie, and most of them will look pretty nice still and run well regardless

well yeah, for now. But if you just bought a 970 and then VR starts gaining some friction you'll see both bigger productions for VR and AAA games bolting on VR compatibility, too.

Erekiddo

Vive has roomtracking and VR controllers.
Oculus has exclusive games, but no roomtracking and touch controllers (yet).
PSVR has exclusive games and runs on a closed system.

I can't see myself owning multiple VR headsets to have access to exclusives on each respective system.

As of now, is there any ability (or plan) to be able to play any game currently owned on Steam on the headset? (As a display only, obviously)

I can't see myself owning multiple VR headsets to have access to exclusives on each respective system.

As of now, is there any ability (or plan) to be able to play any game currently owned on Steam on the headset? (As a display only, obviously)

Not yet, but afaik there is one dev trying to implement that you can play "2d" games in the virtual cinema.

Erekiddo

I remember reading something in EGM back in like.. 1998 or 1999, concerning a guy who had a strained marriage because he was immersed in Final Fantasy 8 using a headset display device.

I've been wanting that sort of immersion, and strained marriage, since.

I remember reading something in EGM back in like.. 1998 or 1999, concerning a guy who had a strained marriage because he was immersed in Final Fantasy 8 using a headset display device.

I've been wanting that sort of immersion, and strained marriage, since.

VR is like "being in these worlds". When I first tried the DK1 it was like the Mario64 moment, Something totally new. 3d Analogue moving.
When I was in that house in the tuscanny, my brain felt I was there. The 3d feels natural, th headtracking was working and it didnt even have positional tracking at that time.

I actually want more japanese games on it though. Seems those are on PSVR...

KingKong

I would think the 980Ti only getting 70fps and R9 Fury barely being above 60 at 1920x1080 in Primal would mean that game is poorly optimized or needs new drivers

Momentary

Banned
Momodora will easily be a day one purchase for me. Hot damn.

Releases this Friday!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/

header.jpg

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
VR costs too much more than potatoes unfortunately, I guess I'll be buying potatoes.
Potatoes are life.
I would think the 980Ti only getting 70fps and R9 Fury barely being above 60 at 1920x1080 in Primal would mean that game is poorly optimized or needs new drivers

shocking that a triple a game isn't optimized until a few patches. shocking.

I don't really understand putting up a Far Cry Primal PC performance thread yet considering the game isn't released for another about 8 hours...shrugs

edit: they upped the release time to Midnight Eastern apparently going by the unlock time on Steam

dex3108

I don't really understand putting up a Far Cry Primal PC performance thread yet considering the game isn't released for another about 11 hours...shrugs

That thread will be interesting for sure. But to be honest i don't know how would devs satisfy PC gamers these days.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't really understand putting up a Far Cry Primal PC performance thread yet considering the game isn't released for another about 11 hours...shrugs

edit: they upped the release time to Midnight Eastern apparently going by the unlock time on Steam

Yeah, PC performance threads that go up before the game is even playable are fairly pointless. Such is the rush to be first.

On the bright side, I can sleep in now.

Erekiddo

In three days I've played over 20 hours of Stardew Valley.. and the day isn't over yet.

help

Typical days in Harvest Moon ranged from 5-8 minutes. How can this be?

Is it like the SNES Harvest Moon, where night hits at 6, but as long as you don't pass out from exhaustion (hot spring visits), it stays night until you sleep?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well in a way you did that :D They are not trying to beat you :D

You mean creating threads for the Hitman and The Division betas? I figured that made sense since they were playable and their respective launch days were only a few weeks away (which is why "beta" isn't mentioned in either thread title). Making a thread that has a single link to benchmarks and calling it a PC performance thread doesn't make much sense no matter how you slice it.

Typical days in Harvest Moon ranged from 5-8 minutes. How can this be?

Is it like the SNES Harvest Moon, where night hits at 6, but as long as you don't pass out from exhaustion (hot spring visits), it stays night until you sleep?

i think that what LurkerPrime is saying is that he already has 20 hours invested in the game and today is not over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom