• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As far as i noticed you created most PC Perf threads for big releases :D

Well, that's just because most big releases have pre-order DLC of some sort and are on Steam. ;) Might as well get some use out of a game I'm otherwise unlikely to touch.

So how did Valve come to the conclusion that the three free Vive games are "great"? Because I can bear-ly believe it.
Typical days in Harvest Moon ranged from 5-8 minutes. How can this be?

Is it like the SNES Harvest Moon, where night hits at 6, but as long as you don't pass out from exhaustion (hot spring visits), it stays night until you sleep?

i think that what LurkerPrime is saying is that he already has 20 hours invested in the game and today is not over.

Bingo, shortsFortallPeople.

I was afraid someone might misunderstand, but couldn't think of a better way to say it. Such are the perils of English and my primitive, human brain.

Dr Dogg

That thread will be interesting for sure. But to be honest i don't know how would devs satisfy PC gamers these days.

Easy, AssCreed twice a year, ever year, for all eternity. What? I've primarily gamed on PC for 2 decades + so I should be the representative audience and what they want. You just don't know it yet :p

Ozium

I was going to buy a 970 but now I am learning they are trash?

This is why building a PC is stressful.

Just going to buy a PS4, 970s/R9 390s can't run Bloodborne anyways

dex3108

Easy, AssCreed twice a year, ever year, for all eternity. What? I've primarily gamed on PC for 2 decades + so I should be the representative audience and what they want. You just don't know it yet :p

If game is running great but doesn't look amazing people complain, if game looks amazing but runs not that great people complain, if you can't max out game on GTX970 people complain, if you can play game at 60+ FPS on 980Ti people want 120FPS so they complain... I agree that we got some bad ports last couple of years but man people will complain these days for every little and big thing. :D

That is why i would love to see more behind scene educational videos from devs that explain how engine and rendering or optimizing works. So i can point people who complain without reason to those videos :D

Define "trash".

[trash]

noun

anything worthless, useless, or discarded; rubbish.
foolish or pointless ideas, talk, or writing; nonsense.
a worthless or disreputable person.
such persons collectively.
literary or artistic material of poor or inferior quality.
broken or torn bits, as twigs, splinters, rags, or the like.
something that is broken or lopped off from anything in preparing it for use.
Any Nvidia product

i didn't play bloodborne because i hadn't played dark souls 2 as i was waiting for the GOTY edition to get cheap.

So come this march, ill have 4 souls games to look forward to with BB/DS2/DS3 and Lords of the Fallen all waiting for me

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 are about the same quality anyway.
Damn, can't wait to get a PS4 and play Bloodborne in the future then.
VR costs too much more than potatoes unfortunately, I guess I'll be buying potatoes.
Market is doomed. A crash inevitable. All that paper money gonna be worth only toilet-paper.

Potatoes on the other side have proven useful since forever. I think you're up to something....
;)
I was going to buy a 970 but now I am learning they are trash?

This is why building a PC is stressful.

Just going to buy a PS4, 970s/R9 390s can't run Bloodborne anyways
After watching this video, I regret getting a PC and not a console.

yuraya

Saw this in the steam community hub for DS2 hehe

tumblr_nphzm35ylw1st0x8fo1_1280.jpg

-Waiting for Dark Souls 3

:D

Phawx

I will definitely consider an nVidia card next time if they support FreeSync. But right now I have a 40" 4k Freesync monitor, so I'm more or less going to be in the AMD camp for awhile.

At this point in time, I wouldn't suggest anyone buying a GPU. The buyer's remorse will hit like a ton of bricks in a few months time.

I've been told about twice in this thread that Lords of the Fallen isn't anywhere near the quality of Ds1 and 2 but I still kind of want to play it...There is probably something wrong with me.

i'm interested in seeing what something souls-like is. I know in advance that it pales in comparison to the actual games but what if it's still a decent game on its own?

I'll find out sometime around mid march when the game comes to Games with Gold.

fantomena

It's simple when it comes to Bloodborne, you have to choices:

1) Get a PS4 and play Bloodborne.
2) Don't play Bloodborne.

One of my reasons Im super hyped about DS3 is that it looked and felt a lot like Bloodborne, not as fast-paced, but still more fast paced than Demon's and the other Darks.

It's simple when it comes to Bloodborne, you have to choices:

1) Get a PS4 and play Bloodborne.
2) Don't play Bloodborne.

One of my reasons Im super hyped about DS3 is that it looked and felt a lot like Bloodborne, not as fast-paced, but still more fast paced than Demon's and the other Darks.

This may come as a surprise to you but...
Ozium was joking :)

i didn't play bloodborne because i hadn't played dark souls 2 as i was waiting for the GOTY edition to get cheap.

So come this march, ill have 4 souls games to look forward to. with BB/DS2/DS3 and Lords of the Fallen all waiting for me

Depending on your definition of a "souls game", Lords of the Fallen and Bloodborne don't really fit.

Lords of the Fallen loosely stands in a similar category because it's a third person action RPG with combat similar to a FROM action RPG, but it's not quite the same. There's a projectile weapon that doesn't use ammo, you get pigeonholed into a class at the start which determines your skills, etc. I played it after finishing both DS2 and DS1 after the steamworks patch and it's really not that close (for me at least). The lack of being able to mix classes, the lack of weapon/armor/magic variety, it was a decent time, but definitely not something I'd consider a "souls" game.

Bloodborne, while made by FROM and sharing a bunch of mechanics, is a very different beast than your previous souls games. It removes a lot of the fundamental variety that the Demon's/Dark souls series have at their core. Combat and level up mechanics feel similar, but outside of that, character leveling/building and the story/environments are very different. I think there's a viable shield now that the DLC is out, if you go find it in that area, and there's a lot more weapon variety with the DLC included. However, the number of the weapons in the game is probably similar to the number of greatswords in DS2. There is a heavy focus on playstyle and it's geared toward making you aggressive and discourages passivity/turtling. The mechanic where you can regain health you lost by simply dealing damage within a short time window becomes imperative to learn/master and I was so used to the combat in Bloodborne that when I fired up Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin again, it took me a good bit of time to adjust back and re-learn my preferred playstyle using a shield on my off hand.

Just my thoughts. But regardless, you'll have 2 really good games, 1 game that should be really good, and a solid 4th game to throw into the mix. :)

i'm interested in seeing what something souls-like is. I know in advance that it pales in comparison to the actual games but what if it's still a decent game on its own?

I'll find out sometime around mid march when the game comes to Games with Gold.

That's a decent point, it's probably best served if I find out if I like it.

I did like the very slow playstyle that I could get in Ds1 so maybe Lords, which I've heard is even slower, would be right up my street.

Sometimes I think I want to finish Bloodborne, but then I remember that I'm at the Nightmare Frontier and then I stop thinking about it.

I get the nightmares confused... but really, one is entirely optional and the other one is only bad until you understand how to deal with the frenzy light. You're pretty much at the end of it too. The final couple of bosses are found in Nightmare of Mensis, I think.

Nightmare Frontier, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is 100% optional and you only need to go there if you want to fight Amygdala and get the chalice so you can do that stuff and head toward the platinum.

IM me on Steam if you want more info or whatever, I'd be glad to help.

Ozium

I will definitely consider an nVidia card next time if they support FreeSync. But right now I have a 40" 4k Freesync monitor, so I'm more or less going to be in the AMD camp for awhile.

At this point in time, I wouldn't suggest anyone buying a GPU. The buyer's remorse will hit like a ton of bricks in a few months time.

but I can't play a lot of games because my system is old so I wanted to build somethign new and get a decent card to last for a year or so until pascal goes down in price

how is this bad

Phawx

but I can't play a lot of games because my system is old so I wanted to build somethign new and get a decent card to last for a year or so until pascal goes down in price

how is this bad

There is a *chance that Pascal won't come out until 2017. If you're married to nVidia, then it depends on your threshold for buyer's remorse when applied to technical obsolescence.

It's entirely subjective, but for my money I wouldn't buy any GPU right now.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I've been told about twice in this thread that Lords of the Fallen isn't anywhere near the quality of Ds1 and 2 but I still kind of want to play it...There is probably something wrong with me.

My time with Lords of the Fallen was finding it frustratingly slow. Not with the basic character walking/running, but rather the camera moving, the frame rate at points, and even just basic animations sequences waiting to finish out.

At it's core there is an okay title for those that want something Demon's Souls/Dark Souls "like" that has a much bigger focus on eventually being "you are so strong and powerful nothing can threaten you" the Souls titles don't offer because they give more in variety of foes and fighting styles.

I don't regret trying it out, even though I didn't like it.

I get the nightmares confused... but really, one is entirely optional and the other one is only bad until you understand how to deal with the frenzy light. You're pretty much at the end of it too. The final couple of bosses are found in Nightmare of Mensis, I think.

Nightmare Frontier, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is 100% optional and you only need to go there if you want to fight Amygdala and get the chalice so you can do that stuff and head toward the platinum.

IM me on Steam if you want more info or whatever, I'd be glad to help.

Yeah, the Nightmare Frontier is optional, and I'm actually fairly close to the end of it. I just got frustrated with
the invasions/bell callers and all the poison
. I do intend to finish it eventually. I will probably do so soon, as lately I've had an itch to get back to it. Been listening to the music a lot lately.

Hektor

Lords of The Fallen was imho to similar to Souls to really stand on its own, especially as it didn't really add anything new to the formular to give the game its own identity. It just left me with the feeling that i rather play the original instead.

GaussTek

Humble Spare:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Retro City Rampage DX -- MB-CA8CB9129E5B1FAA - Taken by Shalashaska

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom