• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the Nightmare Frontier is optional, and I'm actually fairly close to the end of it. I just got frustrated with
the invasions/bell callers and all the poison
. I do intend to finish it eventually. I will probably do so soon, as lately I've had an itch to get back to it. Been listening to the music a lot lately.

The "Sinister Bell-Ringing Woman" or whatever she is called is actually really easy to get to from the lamp if you know where she is... it's before the first poison lake. But it wouldn't be a FROM action RPG without a place that is Blighttown-ish. ;)

Those enemies, the bell-callers, they're one and done, like scripted invasions in Dark Souls. Kill her and she'll not spawn again there until NG+; if you don't know where they are, it's probably the least frustrating to just look up how to find them so you can get to them quickly and deal with them and go back to your playthrough. Apparently some people leave them as it makes PvP a lot easier/more convenient... but I don't really play FROM action RPG type games for the PvP. :3

Y'all better not be dissing the best Souls game in here.

And by that I obviously mean Dark Souls 2

The game so nice, I "platinum'ed" it thrice.
DS2 (PC) - 167h - 100% achievements
DS2: SotFS (PC) - 87h - 92% achievements; the ones I'm missing require NG++ and I stopped at doing pretty much everything (all boss/area run) during NG.
DS2: SotFS (PS4) - 90h+ - 92% achievements, should have the last 3 and platinum tonight.

I'm sold on Danganronpa after the first trial. The first hour and a half of the game was a bit boring (with the tutorials and getting to know everybody) but once the first investigation began I was hooked.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dark Souls II is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls. Wait? What does that even mean?
U3xx1Pj.jpg

hesho

I will definitely consider an nVidia card next time if they support FreeSync. But right now I have a 40" 4k Freesync monitor, so I'm more or less going to be in the AMD camp for awhile.

At this point in time, I wouldn't suggest anyone buying a GPU. The buyer's remorse will hit like a ton of bricks in a few months time.

wait.. nvidia support something that isn't their own proprietary solution? not likely since they have their gsync.

On a different note.. i had planned on doing a total system rehaul this summer and i do think that is still on track. I just hope the new GPUs won't be late... though i am super worried they would break the bank :(

P1yTIQv.png

Meant to give Lifeless Planet a go since a long time. Started yesterday at last and finished just now.
Let me preface by saying I like exploration and slowly uncovering stories through (audio-)logs. If done right it truly can make for great and immersive experiences.
Lifeless Planet is only about that. Without spoiling too much, you are an astronaut on a mission to travel to a distant planet and promptly have a crash-landing. From there you start exploring a barren and alien world which from the get-go grabs your attention with alien structures and mysterious occurrences.

The story I liked a lot. The one-man team has obviously interest in sci-fi. The pacing is fine but more on the slow-side. You have to bring some patience and be in the mood to walk. But I would not say this is a "boring walking simulator". Platforming with your jetpack and light puzzle solving are plenty. There is no shooting but that is just perfect for this game.
Given it is a small developer don't go in expecting high-poly models, high-res textures and whatnot. It might deter superficial players at first but I adjusted to it just fine after a couple minutes. One thing which I usually never give too much mind in games struck to me throughout the whole game though. Music, or better lack of therein. Big patches have no background music which made me much more uneasy than I expected. There are some short tunes at certain events here and there but they only emphasize the parts without it that much more. Music is much more important to the overall experience than one might imagine.

I don't want to spoil much, so I'll stop here. It has a great story and atmosphere and I was always interested in unraveling more about the world. Loved the ending. Recommend heartily.
--
I know, I know old games all the time. Don't get much discussion going compared to new ones but I felt the need to shine some light on this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dark Souls II is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls. Wait? What does that even mean?

u wot m8? fooking hell blimey, bloody tosser

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

VISCERA CLEANUP DETAIL: SANTA'S RAMPAGE -- MB-B6D2F9324CA94089 - Taken by Scrooge McDuck. 1 entrants total.
Belladonna -- MB-B68E02A99798E6C5 - Taken by anastef. 3 entrants total.
This Book is a Dungeon -- MB-589CC02133D67EB9 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
Proto Raider -- MB-2F910FD796DDD9F3 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.

t1456784629z1.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Y'all better not be dissing the best Souls game in here.

And by that I obviously mean Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2 didn't suffer from the last half is shit syndrome (Not counting the DLC) Dark Souls one had and it also didnt had something as annoying as Bed of Chaos. I do enjoy Dark Souls 1 world more but people tend to forget some shitty things from DS1.

Also the fan base in a way has become quite annoying with the elitism and how the Soul series are the perfect game series and how Zelda, The Witcher, Skyrim and your grandma could learn from the soul series.

Messiah

I'm sold on Danganronpa after the first trial. The first hour and a half of the game was a bit boring (with the tutorials and getting to know everybody) but once the first investigation began I was hooked.

Glad to hear the good reception of the game in this thread. Both games start off kinda slow but once it gets going it really gets going.

My time with Lords of the Fallen was finding it frustratingly slow. Not with the basic character walking/running, but rather the camera moving, the frame rate at points, and even just basic animations sequences waiting to finish out.

At it's core there is an okay title for those that want something Demon's Souls/Dark Souls "like" that has a much bigger focus on eventually being "you are so strong and powerful nothing can threaten you" the Souls titles don't offer because they give more in variety of foes and fighting styles.

I don't regret trying it out, even though I didn't like it.

The slow part isn't necessarily a turn off for me, I guess it just depends on how similar or different our definitions of slow are.

I'm definitely going to need a sale for me to pick it up. It will probably come down to how much I intend to spend and what other things are on sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I need to learn some new british slang :(

edit:

oi init bruvv, got my 4 by 4 ravers and bass line skankers init sket. we goin to blow this place out wicked blud. ahhh mate thats well dog has it bluddd oi lets sketchit yo ay and hit the legs this is well waffle munter bruv.

translation

im ready to party. lets rock it. this crap let go.

...whut? Doogie, your language is weird

Khronico

Dark Souls 2 didn't suffer from the last half is shit syndrome (Not counting the DLC) Dark Souls one had and it also didnt had something as annoying as Bed of Chaos. I do enjoy Dark Souls 1 world more but people tend to forget some shitty things from DS1.

Also the fan base in a way has become quite annoying with the elitism and how the Soul series are the perfect game series and how Zelda, The Witcher, Skyrim and your grandma could learn from the soul series.

I love the series but don't like the fanbase for the most part (may have to do with the fact that my favorite in the series is generally reviled by the majority).

I liked Dark souls 2 more than the first game even though its flaws.

Although I love 1 I have a hard time going back to it for another playthrough. I always get up to right after O&S and immediately lose interest. I just don't enjoy that back half of the game AT ALL.
2 is so much more consistent in it's quality through the game that it's much easier to come back to IMO. The incredibly variety of playstyles and equipment is also awesome for replayability.

Arthea

I got so incredibly lucky in Koi-koi for once, it's unbelievable, not only I got that incredibly hard to get last yaku I was missing, I scored not 20 (required for achievement) but 24! points in that game. Still can't believe it. Well, considering it happened once in 40 hours... maybe it's not that unbelievable. Still yay!

Sch1sm

why not it's cheaper than the 970 or 390

I have a Hyundai

Because we live in an age where 970 is the barrier of VR, and it'll only keep getting pushed into higher territory over years. GPU's are an investment...of 2-3 years, and the 960's time is up. Save more, buy a 390/980, whatever you gotta do.

Vazra

I love the series but don't like the fanbase for the most part (may have to do with the fact that my favorite in the series is generally reviled by the majority).

Although I love 1 I have a hard time going back to it for another playthrough. I always get up to right after O&S and immediately lose interest. I just don't enjoy that back half of the game AT ALL.
2 is so much more consistent in it's quality through the game that it's much easier to come back to IMO. The incredibly variety of playstyles and equipment is also awesome for replayability.

I dont mind much the fact that they shit on DkS2 as much as they do but it annoys me how they look down at everyone else who are not interested or dont like the series. It's a bit toxic and anyone who might be interested into getting into the series might feel discourage by how the community is. Also there are a lot of people that I see asking for help and people can't stop using the overused meme Git Gud.

Ozium

Because we live in an age where 970 is the barrier of VR, and it'll only keep getting pushed into higher territory over years. GPU's are an investment...of 2-3 years, and the 960's time is up. Save more, buy a 390/980, whatever you gotta do.

my plan is to build a machine that i can use to play games now and then get pascal when it drops in price or 2nd generation pascal... so I only need something to last for a year or so

and I can't wait for a year because I own games that currently run like shit for me worse than cONSOLES

I was going to buy a 970 but now I am learning they are trash?

This is why building a PC is stressful.

The primary reason for the 970's poor reputation is that it's advertised as having 4Gb of VRAM, but in practice it only works with the first 3.5Gb. People were quite cheesed off when this was discovered.

Aside from that, it's actually a pretty good card. Certainly noticeably better than the 960.

Arthea

GPU talk is most depressing talk in this thread, I'd say SuperDepressing
*leaves*

Anyone got an idea when co op for stardew valley will be releasing?

It's so great that I no longer care for multi, but dev is now working on small fixes non stop, we got three updates today alone, so probably not until every little bug is sorted and he has some time.
On unrelated note, Stardew Valley reminds me Banished in some strange way.

Khronico

I dont mind much the fact that they shit on DkS2 as much as they do but it annoys me how they look down at everyone else who are not interested or dont like the series. It's a bit toxic and anyone who might be interested into getting into the series might feel discourage by how the community is. Also there are a lot of people that I see asking for help and people can't stop using the overused meme Git Gud.

Yeah it's really, really aggravating sometimes.

Also, injecting Souls into every conversation about RPG combat is the worst.

I'd love a pirate-themed Souls game.

Or a Risen 2-2.
Or a Raven's Cry that wasn't pathetic.
Or that Pirates of the Caribbean game that got cancelled ages ago.
Or even Expeditions: Conquistador 2. It's close enough.

Really, almost anything will do.
Never played any Harvest-like game, but I think I'll revert that with Stardew Valley

It isn't a 1-to-1 experience, but the feel of Harvest Moon is captured really well.

So, yeah, you made the right choice.

my plan is to build a machine that i can use to play games now and then get pascal when it drops in price or 2nd generation pascal... so I only need something to last for a year or so

and I can't wait for a year because I own games that currently run like shit for me worse than cONSOLES

960 is a good choice. But don't get the 2gb model, get the 4gb one instead.
2gb cards can't do shit anymore these days, only for low or medium textures.
Edit: or just find a cheap secondhand card if you're planning to use it only for a year.

Hard plattformer: "Souls-like plattformer."
RPG with action RPG combat: "Souls like RPG."
Big bosses in a game: "Game with souls-like bosses."

Dr Dogg

I need to learn some new british slang :(

edit:

oi init bruvv, got my 4 by 4 ravers and bass line skankers init sket. we goin to blow this place out wicked blud. ahhh mate thats well dog has it bluddd oi lets sketchit yo ay and hit the legs this is well waffle munter bruv.

translation

im ready to party. lets rock it. this crap let go.

...whut? Doogie, your language is weird

I think your translation needs a little work, especially the munter part.

bloke

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Last Federation: Betrayed Hope DLC -- MB-E0A36C21BB010292 - Taken by Kurt Russell
Divekick -- MB-FD0886DD31C7F25D - Taken by Coldsun
Shattered Planet -- MB-9D69CA086E4D35F6 - Taken by texhnolyze
INK -- MB-492DCB9FB4B60B10 - Taken by rainking187

Some Free Games.
ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Murder Miners -- MB-E75BDA19EC086F9B
Culling of the Cows -- MB-4BF817A24336F4E7 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 2 entrants total.
Enemy Mind -- MB-1BDB6877F079D885 - Taken by neonglow. 1 entrants total.
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi -- MB-2F7B37AFADE3A78C - Taken by Regginator. 1 entrants total.

t1456786729z1.png

Extra Woodle Tree Adventures code: Quote to see

Mr. Doop

Or a Risen 2-2.

The world needs more pirate themed games. Sid Meier's Pirates and Assassin's Creed 4 are not enough!

MUnited83

For you.

Or a Risen 2-2.

It isn't a 1-to-1 experience, but the feel of Harvest Moon is captured really well.

So, yeah, you made the right choice.

A Pirate Souls game would be freaking amazing. There's so much potential there it's crazy.

Who would want a Souls-game with pirates if we could have a Souls game with waifus?

Imagine the possibilites about Yandere bosses, areas like "School of perverted hentais", and lore like "I stalked Natsumi-senpai!"

Vazra

Who would want a Souls-game with pirates if we could have a Souls game with waifus?

Imagine the possibilites about Yandere bosses, areas like "School of perverted hentais", and lore like "I stalked Natsumi-senpai!"

I want a Sci-Fi Souls game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom