• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what my friend used to remove the nvidia stuff. Deleted nvidia folders too along with trying to download the drivers directly. Windows 10 also attempts to update the drivers but it fails

Windows 10 does that stupid automatic download of any drivers it detects missing. You gotta shut that off in the computer's settings. I was very annoyed when that happened to me right after upgrading.

Vamphuntr

I've finally played a bit of The Gates of Firmament, the Chinese RPG on steam. I would say I wouldn't recommend it right now. The English localization is terrible making understanding what is going on a chore at times. Press Q to spell that.

62FB39149B2C6DBB1CF03AC7ED22182C39C21947
ACFB062E8F8A5D9E4F283CA84563DFF811CFD249
D0EA38F6F7B61C6AAEC2C39C81A7DF300F5B134A
743BC8D3CA0D91288D82CD67C3437C8FACC288F5
131FD763D8E8485CD01563C515FA286321D57EB3

Bonus : Graphic options since this is a steam thread

kagamin

Is there a mod for adding the Japanese voices to TitS or are the English voice acting okay?

Yes but it causes unforeseen issues with the game, and voices are only featured during battle anyways, it shouldn't really be a big deal, playing bug free with EN voices or playing with some bugs with JP voices.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've finally played a bit of The Gates of Firmament, the Chinese RPG on steam. I would say I wouldn't recommend it right now. The English localization is terrible making understanding what is going on a chore at times. Press Q to spell that.

lmao

I look forward to the potato masher videos each time.
It's really interesting, right? Always read about PC-console comparisons and their fanbases having all kinds of arguments. "Consoles are better value, they get the best optimized, no PC's at similar prices will destroy consoles" etc. It's great to see something more tangible with actual results.
Veggie did you get my pm?
Hm, I went mobile and just checked. No PM.

Pachimari

I downloaded Borderless Gaming from Github but I have no idea how to install it. It shows me a lot of files, and one of them being "BorderlessGaming_new.ico".

Arthea

I finished The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns, it was OK, for a free VN, the artstyle and writing style are distinctive, hopefully Asphyxia is even better being not free and all that.

Nillansan

Story-wise, is it perfectly fine to jump straight into Batman: Arkham Origins without having played Batman: Arkham City? Will I be missing out on anything important? I've heard that Arkham Origins is the superior entry in the series and that Arkham City is a somewhat bloated game that over-stays its welcome.

Pachimari

Thanks! Does it matter if I download the admin_setup.exe or the setup.exe?

Story-wise, is it perfectly fine to jump straight into Batman: Arkham Origins without having played Batman: Arkham City? Will I be missing out on anything important? I've heard that Arkham Origins is the superior entry in the series and that Arkham City is a somewhat bloated game that over-stays its welcome.

I'm pretty sure most people, on here at least, sees Arkham City as the best in the series, while Origins is the worst. I can't say myself, as I have only played a few hours of Asylum.

Jawmuncher

They're both fine ganes, but I do prefer Origins as well. You're fine playing it before City. Anything you might miss will pop up there.

Arthea

a shame about google translation
aside from that how's gameplay?

It's a prequel, so go for it.

In spite of what Batman: Arkham Knight would have anyone believe, the Batman Arkham franchise made for a terrible trilogy--probably one of the worst in all of gaming (especially since it is a trilogy of 4 games...).

I'm surprised you've heard people saying Origins is the better of the two. Most people I've heard seem to see Origins as the worst, I personally like it although City is my favourite (partially because of the Batman Beyond skin).

Story-wise you're fine playing Origins first though.

It's really interesting, right? Always read about PC-console comparisons and their fanbases having all kinds of arguments. "Consoles are better value, they get the best optimized, no PC's at similar prices will destroy consoles" etc. It's great to see something more tangible with actual results.

Hm, I went mobile and just checked. No PM.

Since you always have a new game every few days I wondered what your finished list for this year looks like so far. :)

Zafir

The translation did get a bit better after those really awful dialogue scenes from what I've played(about 4 or 5 hours in), though the translation is still far from good. It has grammar problems, and issues where they've directly translated a word and didn't really get the context.

Also for reference to anyone who is interested. You can get higher than 1080p in it, despite the game not showing higher resolutions. You need to go into windowed mode and then alt enter. It then seems to go to the resolution your monitor is set to.

Corpekata

Banned
Got a press copy of Day of the Tentacle and am curious how the console crowd will react to the control scheme. It's probably the most traditional point and click game to get a port. Grim Fandango at least had direct character movement and relatively few interactions with objects. Most other ones are more in the Telltale mold. Can easily see some people struggling with wrangling the controls.

I pretty quickly went back to mouse after trying controller out.

Pachimari

Hmm, I don't think BorderlessGaming works properly with Hitman. It's on my Favorites list and all that, but I have to alt+tab (both in border and fullscreen) and then the monitors blink for a moment to refresh, so that I can control my other software.

Anyone else having issues with borderless in Hitman?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Story wise I easily consider Arkham Origins to be stronger than Arkahm City. It's contained, it builds up a lot for that universe, and beyond the DLC extra, nothing of the story felt tacked on (for a comic book style tale) just to pad it out longer than it needed to be. To play first, as the prequel to Arkham Asylum, it works as well to start with even if you "lose abilities" if you are then playing the other games.

Game wise, and glitches aside, I honestly didn't feel Origins was any worse than City, as they both felt the same to me as I played them back to back just recently. Some minor things here and there, more indoor segments on one vs better boss fights in the former, but overall just very similar. Origins could feel worse by the fact any annoyances I had with City just continued on here, but that would happen if I had gone Origins to City as well.

Though I will give City the edge just because I actually felt like difficulty was more fine tuned here, where was Origins it never felt like it increased other than taking more damage (negated by "spam counter button").

Origins: Blackgate is the worst Arkham game though. Even the mobile phone games hold up better. I regret playing it so much.

Pachimari

And in Trails of the Sky FC, I'm just getting a black screen with a curser and a green cross above it, music is playing in the background and a menu popped up for like a second... Oh well, guess it really is a sign, that I shouldn't be playing PC games today.

Since you always have a new game every few days I wondered what your finished list for this year looks like so far. :)
I played the most number of games the last months since forever.
Tomb Raider 2013, ARMA 3, The Swapper, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Elliot Quest, Gone Home, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Mafia 2, Lifeless Planet, Deadlight. It's a lot but gladly I had fun with most of them.
Currently on Dead Rising 3 with 20hrs and Red Faction Guerilla with 6hrs.

Vamphuntr

a shame about google translation
aside from that how's gameplay?

It's pretty generic. I sometimes feel I'm mashing keyboards key to do the combos. AI partners seems to burn through my items and I haven't found how to prevent them from doing so.

In other news I tried playing the new beta branch for the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and the multiplayer is still an unstable POS. Beamdog is a terrible developer. Previous versions would CTD in multiplayer when you would reach a chapter screen but now the game simply CTD on the character arbitration screen before starting the game. If you are lucky to get pass this then it will crash when you save or load a new area. Really tamper my expectation for the Siege of Dragonspear or whatever.

The GOG version still works well in multiplayer...

Nillansan

I'm pretty sure most people, on here at least, sees Arkham City as the best in the series, while Origins is the worst. I can't say myself, as I have only played a few hours of Asylum.

They're both fine ganes, but I do prefer Origins as well. You're fine playing it before City. Anything you might miss will pop up there.

It's a prequel, so go for it. In spite of what Batman: Arkham Knight would have anyone believe, the Batman Arkham franchise made for a terrible trilogy--probably one of the worst in all of gaming (especially since it is a trilogy of 4 games...).

I'm surprised you've heard people saying Origins is the better of the two. Most people I've heard seem to see Origins as the worst, I personally like it although City is my favourite (partially because of the Batman Beyond skin).

Story-wise you're fine playing Origins first though.

Thank you for your time everyone. I must have remembered incorrectly then. I'll go for Arkham Origins first since it is a prequel as LurkerPrime stated.

Pachimari

Okay, Trails in the Sky seems to be solid for the 18 minutes I've played. I loved the start and intro, the characters so far, and especially the atmosphere and music. Let's see how the gameplay holds up tomorrow. Heading to bed.

Finished year walk in a sitting. Well, that was something!

If you're going to use a steam controller then you'll want to know a couple of things: this was a touch screen game so expect to drag objects around. And, there's a puzzle that requires keyboard inputs so if you think you're stuck then remember that.

Now, to see about this journal

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Trails in the Sky FC -- MB-BE119F1783B89626 - Taken by neonglow. 27 entrants total.

t1457752332z1.png

Dsyndrome

Lastest RotTR actually improved performance for me on DX12, can't say the same about XCOM 2. Uninstalled the latter since I'm still playing XCOM: EW, will wait for it to cook in the oven a little longer.

Yes it is! It's one of my 2015 GotY contenders and is a fun 2D platformer.
Look past the graphics and go in for the gameplay and you may enjoy it.
Plus, stages are short allowing for short bursts, so you could beat 1-2 stages a day at least for example

Thanks , will buy it then

Eila

All this Trails love. Fantastic end of the week.
Also, I'm finally playing Gurumin. I don't think it's better than any of the Ys games on steam so far, but it's still a fun game. Love the style, although some animations are clunky.

Whoa, year walk ended up being a genuinely creepy experience. Really recommend accessing the journal after your playthrough.

Edit: and now I'm reading through various interpretations of the ending and this thing is kinda neat. What an experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom