• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I must be one of the few people with zero issues with Steam at all.

If all you do is install and play games and don't mess with anything else it's fine. Which to be for is a big chunk of what any service of games should be. But when you start looking beneath the surface, you start noticing all of the problems.

Dr Dogg

Steam Support might only be adequate in my dealings with them but I have much, much worse experiences with much more vital services than anything Valve offers. Some of which even miss their regulators targets for resolution by quite a bit. Npower's customer service makes Valve's look like angels.

Yep, that's why it's at the end of timeline. Just like Street Fighter 3.

They know they can't top it.

Damn shame.

Just like DMC2 right?

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orion: A Sci-Fi Visual Novel -- MB-FF9F8E4B4C93726E - Taken by Manatox. 2 entrants total.

t1457879003z1.png

take it

By virtue of doing less and having infinitely less functionality. That's a fun trade off.

Does it let me buy and launch titles? Yes. Does it let me party up with friends and voice chat if we want? Yes.

It's not perfect, but it runs better than Steam, and that's for a lot more reasons than simply Steam having more functionality. Steam runs like hot dogshit. Even BPM is buggy and slow as fuck.

The only client I would say is outright worse than Steam is Battle.net, but that's outright worse than fucking eeeeeverything.

jediyoshi

Does it let me buy and launch titles? Yes. Does it let me party up with friends and voice chat if we want? Yes.

It's not perfect, but it runs better than Steam, and that's for a lot more reasons than simply Steam having more functionality. Steam runs like hot dogshit. Even BPM is buggy and slow as fuck.

Where to even begin. Why would BPM even be a factor if there's no analog to it on Origin? In every way but explicitly saying it, you'd happily remove tons of features. That's great.

Where to even begin. Why would BPM even be a factor if there's no analog to it on Origin? In every way but explicitly saying it, you'd happily remove tons of features. That's great.

Yeah, put words in my mouth, why don't you?

It's okay that you like the Steam client. It doesn't change that Origin runs a whole lot better, regardless of tacked on features or community. And I included BPM because it, like Steam normally does, runs poorly. It doesn't matter there isn't an equivalent on Origin.

She will fucking return

DMC2 wasn't that bad

Tizoc

Here's the thing about 'DMC2'; that DMC HD duology needs to be released on Steam so that modders can create the real DMC2. Now I don't know if it is even POSSIBLE to edit that game's files or extract and recreate it, but the game with the best Dante design needs to be given a second chance.
Also replace ALL of 'DMC2's villain's voice with Norio Wakamoto lines from DBZ and any other anime he was in.

Oh that's a shame, great art "wasted" on a fighting game (never played it, maybe it's a good one at that). I was hoping for an RPG or exploration based game.

Pardon me, sir.

But I read you talking shit about a quality video game. I would hate to eviscerate a fine chap such as yourself, so I would suggest you rethink your words.

fantomena

Im very tempted to install DS again, just because I haven't played through Artorias, but Im very afraid it will make me hype for DS3 die.

Jawmuncher

I think the Rock Band 4 for PC is dead. It's been sitting at 380,000 for awhile now. The amount they want is just too much. This really should have been something made while PS4&X1 were in dev.

I think the Rock Band 4 for PC is dead. It's been sitting at 380,000 for awhile now. The amount they want is just too much. This really should have been something made while PS4&X1 were in dev.

pretty much. doesn't help it's the worst rockband, the campaign is on fig, and they announced pdp would be doing the new instruments

Time to pour one out. RIP Rock Band.

I reckon if Valve can get enough people using the authenticator for both trading and the market then they might stop enforcing all these strange cooldowns and simply shut down trading and market access to people who don't want to use it. Give maybe two months notice for everyone to get rid of their inventory items and then lock the whole thing down.

Right. Other services don't even have features like marketplace/trading so it's only fair Valve takes them away forever for the people who are bitching. They don't deserve it.

It seems like a lot of people are complaining about it at least. Valve's basically killed the community marketplace with this shit. I'm also reading that the authenticator is tied to your physical phone ala Nintendo hardware, so if you change your phone, it doesn't transfer and you're fucked until you deal with their CS, which will take forever and a half. You still might be fucked, though, cuz their CS blows.

The authenticator works like any other. If you install it on new hardware you have to use a recovery code to synchronize the app with your account. It's not hardware locked.

I do wonder what Valve should do moving forward. Unless they lied in their blog post, 95% of trades are now authenticated by the app. I was honestly not expecting the number to be this high. So the number of people who aren't happy about this trading change is now a small minority. We have to see now if marketplace users will accept the change as well.

Valve has been implementing all kinds of half assed measures to keep trading and the market open for everyone for well over a year now. I remember it started with making Dota 2 items untradable for 3 months, then trading holds happened, the one week restriction on reselling market purchases and now finally market holds. Each of these changes irritated and annoyed the community every time they were introduced because of the inconvenience.

I reckon if Valve can get enough people using the authenticator for both trading and the market then they might stop enforcing all these strange cooldowns and simply shut down trading and market access to people who don't want to use it. Give maybe two months notice for everyone to get rid of their inventory items and then lock the whole thing down.

I don't quite get those Nintendo threads on the gaming side.

It seems that the fans talk about everything, everyday. Every little thing.

I guess I'll make something like 'What if Princess Peach is actually Mario's imaginary friend?' and perhaps it'll get lots of attention as well.

Tizoc

I don't quite get those Nintendo threads on the gaming side.

It seems that the fans talk about everything, everyday. Every little thing.

It's like they are seeing the signs of the End Times.
The NX will not save Ninty.
It will be catastrophic.
Ninty will stick to just making N3DS games and then eventually just rely on their brands and merch to sustain them.
They won't even bother putting up their games on Steam for some quick buck!

They're just savouring the time until it all goes Virtual Boy.

Parsnip

The silver lining about all the recent Valve changes is that because they need to deal with stolen shit way less, it should free up those CS man-hours for other CS tasks.
Maybe next time it doesn't take them a month to reply to a ticket.

i desperately need a new game

maybe i should go back to vagrant story, idk
That's always a good option.

I think there's only one episode in SIN Episodes.

...yeah.
The only thing I remember about SIN Episodes are big boobs.
Also a redhead.
Separately.

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be for every listing.

Scratch that:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198077767&postcount=6425
Unfortunately they edited the FAQ and it doesn't say that anymore. :\

It still says in the Security and Trading Update news item that "Market listing (like trades) will still be instantaneous if you're using the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator."

Which is obviously not the case at all.

Unless they lied in their blog post, 95% of trades are now authenticated by the app. I was honestly not expecting the number to be this high. So the number of people who aren't happy about this trading change is now a small minority.

What's happening is the vast majority of people who don't use the mobile authenticator have ceased trading entirely because there's no point in selling 10-cent cards when you have to wait over two weeks. So naturally most of the traders are authenticated.

XShagrath

I almost feel they did this campaign and set the goal so high in order to fail on purpose. They have consistently said that the market for PC is not there in the past, as well as citing that the music labels wouldn't let them put their masters on the more open platform.

If this fails, it'd be their way of saying "We tried, but as we suspected, the audience is not there for PC." If they really wanted this on PC, they could probably port it to the Win10 store with relative ease and very little funds.

Sch1sm

We lost an hour. There was no 2AM.

It all blurs together eventually.

Your avatar change, I'm not feeling it.

Almost all pixel art is ugly. I wish indie devs would stop.

But... it isn't. What's the basis of this opinion?

---------

After a slump that consisted of me playing absolutely no games aside from the tragic mess that is Street Fighter V

I finally played a game
that I actually own on Steam, don't judge me
. That game being Gone Home:

I don't tend to be for exploration games. Or exploring, the end. My cheevo count across all platforms in terms of any games that involve collectibles is an absolute mess, but Gone Home hit the atmosphere so well I spent an extra bit just making a few more rounds about the house to find any letters or journal entries I might have missed from Sam. Like
when you find the secret panel in the parents closet, and find the cross?
I was convinced there would be a jump scare, at some point. Whether it be then, or the basement, or the attic. When it came to the attic I really though
Sam would have committed suicide up there
. Best 89 minutes I spent yesterday. Anarchy themes were funny, and the soundtrack supplemented it well.

The letters to do with the mother and
Ranger Rick,
though. Fantasy or
affair
?
Considering the parents end up on a couples retreat through Katie's arrival, it makes me think the first. Terry's left his slump, as seen from Greenhouse clues, and they're patching things back together

No way I can play that again, though, it'll never be the same as a whole experience. So, SteamGAF - recommendations? Someone threw Layers of Fear my way. Wonder if Dusk Golem has any thoughts on that one, since it looks to be horror based.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Fig is the GOG of crowdfunding, though, as it actually let's you "own" the game.

Competition is good guys.

Unfortunately they edited the FAQ and it doesn't say that anymore. :\

It still says in the Security and Trading Update news item that "Market listing (like trades) will still be instantaneous if you're using the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator."

Which is obviously not the case at all.

Yeah, Yian said that in his reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom