• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
What's a good mechanical keyboard that doesn't break the bank? Never had one before, need a 10 key and would prefer media controls.

Try this out.

http://gomechanicalkeyboard.com/best-cheap-mechanical-keyboards/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cdt9iGh7sshkpOs7pycKsaAhzQ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ignorebbr=1&cm_re=g710-_-23-126-377-_-Product

I can vouch for th g710+ blue, but I want something a little simpler looking later.

Durante

I just finished Trails in the Sky FC (finally, 95 hours on the clock, and my first save is dated 2014-08-24).

I can now fully grasp why people were so adamant about playing SC.

Knurek

I just finished Trails in the Sky FC (finally, 95 hours on the clock, and my first save is dated 2014-08-24).

Good news:

SC has roughly 20 hours more content.
It also doesn't end on a cliffhanger as bad as FC did.
Still can't believe we're getting 3rd

Thanks, I'll consider the g710. Looks good.

I wish the $43 PSN deal on ebay was for Steam cards too. You can get $20 off $100 though with code C20FLASH at checkout. Works on all orders and gift card totals $100 or more.

Arthea

Good news:

SC has roughly 20 hours more content.
It also doesn't end on a cliffhanger as bad as FC did.
Still can't believe we're getting 3rd

not according to me
FC - 70 hours
SC - 120 hours
8 chapter almost killed my resolve to do everything, it took something like 20-30 hours

I will believe it when I see it released

zkylon

zkylewd
liking stardew valley quite a bit, really brings me back to the old snes harvest moon days what with checking the weather every day and visiting the town and stuff

there's some weird stuff with like walking diagonally being super slow for some reason and like the quest system asking crazy things (get me 15 copper ore on day 2 when the mine hasn't even opened yet -__-) but for the most part it feels super rewarding to see ur little piece of land grow

also i think im gonna turn off the anime portraits. they look pretty good but it's too jarring next to the other ones. and i'm probably gonna install a few mods that make the game a bit more relaxed, like that one that makes time not progress while you're indoors and stuff

Dr Dogg

If I tried to factor the time it takes me to finish games by common completion times and adapted to my personal time from start to finish I could have a library of 100 and never finish them all before I bite the dust (well unless something spectacular happens and I suddenly find myself with boundless enthusiasm and oddles of game playing time). For example Halo 3 takes around 7-8 hours to finish while it took me 6 and a half years. So take whatever time it takes to complete a game and times it by 7000ish and that's how long it should take me in real terms to finish it. And oddly that's pretty fucking close to the real thing.

Edit: Apparntly it would take me 55 years to finish Trails. Well I guess I'm not quite done with the first segement but I'm way ahead of schedule and no presure yet to finish it.

zkylon

zkylewd
is the extra content in tits 2 actual extra content or just more side quests?

cos like if it's just more story i'm super into that but the side quests not so much

Manatox

So it will probably take me 140 hours and 3 years to finish SC.

Well the good thing is, you won't be waiting for the 3rd for a year like many of us currently are after finishing the 2nd soon after it's released ^^

cos like if it's just more story i'm super into that but the side quests not so much

Don't remember FC too much, but the side quests were about the same lenght as the first from what i can remember. It's mostly main story that is longer.

Ozium

legit salty about stardew valley, all my crops died

why the fuck do seasons only last 28 days or whatever?

fucking hell. all my work for nothing...

Arthea

there is a lot of story stuff, mostly talk and I mean a lot, like in FC after every little event you can talk to everybody about it and get some insight or just have fun, but much more is happening in SC. It even somehow feels that there are less sidequests in SC (what's not the case), how much it drowns in a story and world and events stuff. SC is huge.
Also unless you are forgetting, you don't need to do sidequests if you don't want to.

legit salty about stardew valley, all my crops died

why the fuck do seasons only last 28 days or whatever?

fucking hell. all my work for nothing...

it happened to me twice! don't go my way of forgetting that a season lasts 28 days, not 30 or something. I still haven't recovered from this blunder fully.

Tizoc

I know Capcom said they were aiming for the casual market but they went too far!!!

Any fighting game can be casual, heck Kof 14 is adding in an Easy Input mode IIRC.
More fighters need this just so anybody can mess around in it and still feel awesome :p

Dr Dogg

Are Kerbal and Factorio a new sub-genre of engineering games?

A sub genre of engineering games? Do you need to be that granular? What do they do that isn't represented in other similar games?

From my messing about with the beta yonks ago I'd say you can fudge your engineering part of Kerbal but you've got to be pretty savy physics wise. Factorio seems like a cool extentions of some by days gone by automation style flash games. Even then you've got the likes of Fantastic Contraption which started life as a browser based flash game years ago and now is shaping up to be a VR show piece. Plus all the Zachtronics games, while fundamentally programming based, a sound understanding of engineering principals (well quite a few other disciplines in fact) can really help getting your head around each game.

Edit: Christ and I forgot about Besiged as well. Although I haven't touched that in ages some of the crazy stuff you can build in that to achieve your goal and it actually works is outstanding. Even more crazy is some of the sandbox machines peeps were making we're just mind boggling.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't remember FC too much, but the side quests were about the same lenght as the first from what i can remember. It's mostly main story that is longer.
there is a lot of story stuff, mostly talk and I mean a lot, like in FC after every little event you can talk to everybody about it and get some insight or just have fun, but much more is happening in SC. It even somehow feels that there are less sidequests in SC (what's not the case), how much it drowns in a story and world and events stuff. SC is huge.
Also unless you are forgetting, you don't need to do sidequests if you don't want to.
cool

Ozium

Factorio looks cool but I dont know if it's an engineering game... the trailer looks great until it gets to the tower defense garbage then I lose interest... so it's a tower defense disguised as a constructing game?

Li Kao

Hey, funny, there must be something in the air because I'm in the middle of finishing some long overdue games.

Wolfenstein the old blood for starters, this one doesn't really count because I stopped playing maybe for a month. Quite weak, an uninspired add-on and nothing else. I'm in sync with some review I read a long time ago (was it RPS ?): the start is descent then the big twist happens and the game flounders. Not in the same league as New Order, it was surely not intended to be but really NOT in the same league. A game you already played so many times before even starting, and already forgotten before you reaches the credits.

Now the game where me quoting you makes sense: after nearly one year with only one level left to play I decided to finally finish The Evil Within. And it was as Great/Awful as ever. So I was scared of feeling lost in the plot but no biggy, it's not like the plot made sense or advanced back then, still the same shit. And man, while the survival horror aspect was a joy, the game does its best to pass for a fifth tier arena based TPS at times. I didn't finish it yet, because arena-gallore but yeah, the survival was perfect, I so enjoyed it. Problem, the shooting was shit and it makes more than half the experience.

Yeah, I had it in my backlog(FC that is) for about 4 months when I started playing it about 3 weeks ago and before I knew it within 9 days I had finished FC and SC(I bought SC at full price and that is something I rarely do).

However always find it weird how other people seem to take so long to play games in some cases
Because I beat TiTs in 32ish hours although I will admit that I skipped most sidequests on that one.
However, I finished Tits2 with just skipping 1 or 2 monster kill quests and the unmarked stuff(I wasnt using a guide so I missed those) in about 55ish hours.
I do read very fast and since this game wasnt voiced that made things alot faster but it is still really weird. I just don't understand where people "waste" all that time.

kagamin

My final time for Trails in the Sky FC was 47:53:50 after doing most of the sidequests and wandering around aimlessly plenty of times.

Knurek

So it will probably take me 140 hours and 3 years to finish SC.

Well, if the first five chapters in SC being retreads of first five chapters in FC don't kill your resolve to play the game first...
(Look up and use speed hack if possible. Magic is way more useful in SC and any way to cut on those chanting animations will save you dozens of hours throughout the game).

not according to me
FC - 70 hours
SC - 120 hours

Yeah, but you did fishing. Durante doesn't strike me as the type to do fishing minigames, unless they are VR enabled. :)

Dr Dogg

Factorio looks cool but I dont know if it's an engineering game... the trailer looks great until it gets to the tower defense garbage then I lose interest... so it's a tower defense disguised as a constructing game?

Worked for Double Fine and Brutal Legend. Teasing you with a third person action game before going all squad based tactics game/Fisher Price My First RTS.

Hang on a seccond...

Pachimari

I am 1 hour into TitS FC. And I started yesterday. I am slower than the walking speed in Stardew Valley, which I should go buy right about now.

zkylon

zkylewd
tits gets better the more time ppl spend skipping the shitty sidequests and enjoying the fun story and characters instead

Nyoro SF

Looking at my page here...

FC - 84 hours (beat the game twice)
SC - 64 hours (going to do a replay sometime this year for a full BP run)

Ozium

I'm in cyber security/info assurance as well, so I figured it was the best bet for me.

blue is great for typing, love the click clack... brown is good too, has the same actuation as blue but without the click

any mechanical is better than a membrane tho

I spent a whole 30 seconds looking at the TiTS FC store page once.

it took you that long to hit "Not Interested?" You should buy a better mouse breh

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
tits gets better the more time ppl spend skipping the shitty sidequests and enjoying the fun story and characters instead

The sidequests which feature fun extra characters, provide additional worldbuilding on occasion and give you more dialog with your party members?

Seems legit.

zkylon

zkylewd
The sidequests which feature fun extra characters, provide additional worldbuilding on occasion and give you more dialog with your party members?

Seems legit.
that's why i said the shitty sidequests, not all sidequests

sadly there's a bunch of them and it's hard to tell them apart

tits would be a much better game without the filler

ftNAakp.png

Have some of my thoughts so far now that I'm about halfway through.

- there's lot of unpolished, butt-ugly, done-on-a-weekend type of games
- there's a lot of well-received games with woefully low owners
- Indie's with great 3D art are few and far between
- a shit-ton of RPGMaker games
- but in the end, I bookmarked well over a hundred games which didn't make my wishlist but will get a second, more in-depth look later once I completely finish the exploration and will land on the "following" list

It's fun and relaxing to go through a couple hundred games while listening to music or having a video run (thanks always on top). There are a lot of games on Steam and a lot them I have not known of.
Exploration queue is time-intensive and filled with uninteresting stuff most of the time (understandably) but it can be a nice and relaxing time on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

I'm giving it a recommendation. Give it a try.

zkylon

zkylewd
ftNAakp.png

Have some of my thoughts so far now that I'm about halfway through.

- there's lot of unpolished, butt-ugly, done-on-a-weekend type of games
- there's a lot of well-received games with woefully low owners
- Indie's with great 3D art are few and far between
- a shit-ton of RPGMaker games
- but in the end, I bookmarked well over a hundred games which didn't make my wishlist but will get a second, more in-depth look later once I completely finish the exploration and will land on the "following" list

It's fun and relaxing to go through a couple hundred games while listening to music or having a video run (thanks always on top). There are a lot of games on Steam and a lot them I have not known of.
Exploration queue is time-intensive and filled with uninteresting stuff most of the time (understandably) but it can be a nice and relaxing time on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

I'm giving it a recommendation. Give it a try.
i feel like you should just watch something on netflix instead :p

tuxfool

Banned
What's the best place to do high quality gifs with good framerates?

I'd like to know this too.

Though I use a program called QGifer. The gifs it makes seem slightly on the large side but they do look nice.

Unfortunately if large frame rates are what you want webms are probably more appropriate.

Arthea

Yeah, but you did fishing. Durante doesn't strike me as the type to do fishing minigames, unless they are VR enabled. :)

you asked for this, didn't you?

Also Estelle is a fisherwonderwoman, how can you deprive her of this?

related spoiler:
in SC chapter 8, after a certain heroic fishing feat you can buy bait finally, after you spent hours killing stuff for it in previous chapters and don't need it anymore, very funny Falcom, very funny

Ozium

What's the best place to do high quality gifs with good framerates?

I'd like to know this too.

Though I use a program called QGifer. The gifs it makes seem slightly on the large side but they do look nice.

Unfortunately if large frame rates are what you want webms are probably more appropriate.

if you mean for hosting them then abload.de

for makin them I dunno ask sunhilegend lol

Pachimari

Maybe I should stream my playthrough of First Chapter.

It's weird. I can't play games if nobody's looking. And I feel disconnected from the world (Internet) when playing. It's not a nice feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom