• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Yeah, I had it in my backlog(FC that is) for about 4 months when I started playing it about 3 weeks ago and before I knew it within 9 days I had finished FC and SC(I bought SC at full price and that is something I rarely do).

However always find it weird how other people seem to take so long to play games in some cases
Because I beat TiTs in 32ish hours although I will admit that I skipped most sidequests on that one.
However, I finished Tits2 with just skipping 1 or 2 monster kill quests and the unmarked stuff(I wasnt using a guide so I missed those) in about 55ish hours.
I do read very fast and since this game wasnt voiced that made things alot faster but it is still really weird. I just don't understand where people "waste" all that time.
Well, when I play an RPG I'm enjoying I don't usually want it to end too quickly, so I try to do all the sidequests, explore every path in every dungeon/map, and talk to pretty much every NPC in the game.

The problem with that is that in some games this results in me stopping to enjoy them, and consequently stopping to play the game entirely. But that didn't happen in FC (I just had to take some breaks).

Yeah, but you did fishing. Durante doesn't strike me as the type to do fishing minigames, unless they are VR enabled. :)
Heh, you don't know how much of a completionist I can be. I realize rationally that it's stupid but what can you do.

Arthea

tits gets better the more time ppl spend skipping the shitty sidequests and enjoying the fun story and characters instead

sidequests are fine, most of them are rather good, what Trails really needed badly is to be able to switch off combat animations, especially longer ones, that would save some nice time and a fast travel, gosh how I wish there was a fake fast travel (as in you went from Ruan to Zeiss on your own foot, but you don't see that, it just happens instantly. I don't think it would break immersion if done in a right way.

Also those who finished SC will know what I'm talking about when I say that I thought I'll see Kaldia tunnels in nightmares for the rest of my life.
What happened to simple torches, you know those with fire?!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So, you hate any pixel art games? From Gunpoint to Papers, Please? Rogue Legacy? Nidhogg, Mercenary Kings? Super Meat Boy, FEZ, and Terraria?

I don't see what the problem with 8/16 bit games is, really. Sure, I haven't been gaming for 21 years since I'm only now 21, but I've never had any strong feelings either way for it.

Of that list I think Fez is the only one that I think qualifies as looking "good."

Knurek

Heh, you don't know how much of a completionist I can be. I realize rationally that it's stupid but what can you do.

You have no idea how much it pains me every time I see a red conversation option in Pillars.
I don't want to play this game more than once. Just let me select everything, Obsidian. Please...
;)

Also those who finished SC will know what I'm talking about when I say that I thought I'll see Kaldia tunnels in nightmares for the rest of my life.

There's an accessory to help you with that, you know?

kagamin

Man the quality of life improvements you could make to Trails, like how adding sped up animations and faster walk speed to the Etrian Odyssey series in the first Untold game was the best thing ever.

Arthea

Well, when I play an RPG I'm enjoying I don't usually want it to end too quickly, so I try to do all the sidequests, explore every path in every dungeon/map, and talk to pretty much every NPC in the game.

The problem with that is that in some games this results in me stopping to enjoy them, and consequently stopping to play the game entirely. But that didn't happen in FC (I just had to take some breaks).

Isn't that what RPGs are essentially about? finding every little secret thing and the best (most efficient) ways to kill your enemies while being creative about it?

There's an accessory to help you with that, you know?

It only makes those tunnels even more creepy,
especially when you have traverse those tunnels one time too many
, I prefer
torches, torches for life!

ftNAakp.png

Have some of my thoughts so far now that I'm about halfway through.

- there's lot of unpolished, butt-ugly, done-on-a-weekend type of games
- there's a lot of well-received games with woefully low owners
- Indie's with great 3D art are few and far between
- a shit-ton of RPGMaker games
- but in the end, I bookmarked well over a hundred games which didn't make my wishlist but will get a second, more in-depth look later once I completely finish the exploration and will land on the "following" list

It's fun and relaxing to go through a couple hundred games while listening to music or having a video run (thanks always on top). There are a lot of games on Steam and a lot them I have not known of.
Exploration queue is time-intensive and filled with uninteresting stuff most of the time (understandably) but it can be a nice and relaxing time on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

I'm giving it a recommendation. Give it a try.

Why would you do this to yourself.

Nyoro SF

Man the quality of life improvements you could make to Trails, like how adding sped up animations and faster walk speed to the Etrian Odyssey series in the first Untold game was the best thing ever.

Even though the games have a lot of thoughtful implementations for their time, their age does show every now and then. Like how it still has segmented loading for areas despite the fact that modern PCs could probably load the entirety of Liberl in one go. lol

Even though the games have a lot of thoughtful implementations for their time, their age does show every now and then. Like how it still has segmented loading for areas despite the fact that modern PCs could probably load the entirety of Liberl in one go. lol
Yeah, aside from the graphics that was the one thing I really noticed. I had it on my ssd so it was literally often less then 1 second loading but still, although modern rpg's still have alot of this so the problem isn't even fixed.

zkylon

zkylewd
sidequests are fine, most of them are rather good, what Trails really needed badly is to be able to switch off combat animations, especially longer ones, that would save some nice time and a fast travel, gosh how I wish there was a fake fast travel (as in you went from Ruan to Zeiss on your own foot, but you don't see that, it just happens instantly. I don't think it would break immersion if done in a right way.

i feel like adding those options is usually a sign of the foundations of a game not being quite there

not always, as it's a pretty welcome addition to like xcom 2 and stuff, but in tits' case i think they should've just cut down on the number of quests and made them more interesting in general

it kinda reminds me of nier, you can tell the game desperately wants to tell u more about itself but it's also fighting against the fact that it's a big jrpg thing that needs to have fetch quests and kill x wolves quests and crap

i mean, i get it, they're optional, but you play an rpg and you're gonna want to play the sidequests. you play a game in general and you'll want to see everything it has to offer. so you know, i wish that was better, tho i can see tits 2 being a more tightly put together and focused game and just being much better for it

Of that list I think Fez is the only one that I think qualifies as looking "good."
i'd say mercenary kings looks pretty great

Send help, I'm addicted to Stardew Valley and The Division.

Thanks Bernardo for infecting me with Stardew :) It's so good. I don't see what's wrong with the art style, looks pretty good to me.

For those of you waiting on a Dark Souls 3 deal, the eBay $100 for $80 seems pretty decent. Basically you end up getting Dark Souls 3 + Season Pass + $20 for $80.

I'm probably going to go with that -- I don't think GMG will do the Season Pass bundle, and if they do I doubt it'll be significantly discounted. At least with this there's always the option to refund it via Steam if it turns out to be a stinker.

Considering buying the $100 for $20 off thing if anybody wants to consider splitting the cost with me through PayPal (so $40 for me, $40 from someone else. $10 discount for each of us).

I want credit for Souls 3 but not in the situation to spend a full $80 myself. I'm still thinking on it though.

Jawmuncher

Considering buying the $100 for $20 off thing if anybody wants to consider splitting the cost with me through PayPal (so $40 for me, $40 from someone else. $10 discount for each of us).

I want credit for Souls 3 but not in the situation to spend a full $80 myself. I'm still thinking on it though.

But it's one code for one account.

I'll wait for the DS3: Scholars of the Second Sin edition. Or, at least, I'll try to.

Also,
tumblr_o3hitlAPmx1uoh0afo1_500.gif

Recurring minibosses are a GOAT game design choice.

I'm happy to return to all this TitS talk :)

Durante, play SC now!!! How can you not play it ASAP? :V
Also, it can take you anywhere from 80~120 hours on an average basis...unless you take too much time!

Dear Leader, pls get Trails! You're missing out :V

Pachimari

I almost can't ignore Stardew Valley anymore. I desperately wanted a Harvest Moon game on 3DS, so I bought The Lost Valley and haven't played much of it, and haven't gotten around to buying Story of Seasons.

How well does Stardew Valley play with a Steam controller?

Jawmuncher

I almost can't ignore Stardew Valley anymore. I desperately wanted a Harvest Moon game on 3DS, so I bought The Lost Valley and haven't played much of it, and haven't gotten around to buying Story of Seasons.

I feel like you got a bad habit of a bunch of games and not enough time.

Grief.exe

Sounds like it will play perfectly with the Steam controller since the analog design seems to have some issues.

Pachimari

I feel like you got a bad habit of a bunch of games and not enough time.
I have a bunch of time actually but I keep jumping from one game to another or not playing at all.

I want to see the story of Final Fantasy IX, Persona 4, Yakuza 1, First Chapter etc but I don't really want to play or sit down to learn new systems. It's almost like it is not interesting to me anymore.

I feel like I am wasting time but the thing is, I am also wasting time by not doing anything at all.

Eila

Story of Seasons is the real 3DS Harvest Moon. They're just not using the name anymore, as Natsume kept it.
Not that I'd mind if Natsume delivered a high quality game under the name, it's just that the upcoming smartphone/PC game looked like total crap.

Pachimari

Actually, I'm not sitting comfortably at my desk at all.

Story of Seasons is the real 3DS Harvest Moon. They're just not using the name anymore, as Natsume kept it.
Not that I'd mind if Natsume delivered a high quality game under the name, it's just that the upcoming smartphone/PC game looked like total crap.
Yes I know that. That's why I'm interested in it in the first place. It's just so expensive.

Dr Dogg

Speaking about recklessly buying more and more games you'll never intend to play I'm really tempted to pick up Helldivers. Well I say that but been away all weekend and missing my dose of The Division so downloaded it on my Vita (guess it and PS+ had a use after all) and have played about a good 10 hours yesterday and today stuck in a windy camping resort in Devon where there has been fuck all to do. It's pretty much Magicka x Starship Troopers right down to combo commands for Strategems like Magic was in Magicka (and team killing seems just as prevalent). PC version alright? Arrowhead are pretty competent devs (well on the technical side, not the crazy mess that turned into Wizard Wars). Any folks here play it? It's surprisngly healthy online wise on the Vita and it's certainly not something I think anyone should try and play solo.

You should be able to do that, yeah. I did 1 $100 card, but I think as long as it totals $100 or more you're fine.

That's what I was seeing in the other thread and SlickDeals, yeah.

If anybody wants to split the cost, let me know via PM. Looks like it can be any of their gift cards (barring PayPal GC it seems) so long as it adds up to $100. Help me out if you feel like it!

NmX9h6f.gif

Why would you do this to yourself.
Agreed, it can be a monotonous affair with long stretches of boring games but even though I have no OCD, the feeling of letting the queue unfinished pushes me as well as finding overlooked, good games.
I'm guessing that's because great 3D artists get hired at AAA studios.
Either that or the sheer number of artists needed for "good" 3D is too high for most usually small indie devs. Or both.

What this brings to mind, is how traditional big publishers neglect pixel art basically unanimously. A real shame.

Eila

Sup steam gaf how you doing, please describe what you've been playing and enjoying lately thank you

Gurumin is really fun, although I got pissed because I ate a freaking cake in an item trading sequence and there's no way to get it back. Haven't played since then.
So yeah, always have backup saves in PC games if it allows you to, even if it's not open world.

Dr Dogg

I wonder if anyone has a higher discovery queue titles viewed number than Stump? Surely there will have been a couple you'd have to been quick in the ball to catch before they were yanked or stuff that is no longer viewable.

Mivey

I wonder if anyone has a higher discovery queue titles viewed number than Stump? Surely there will have been a couple you'd have to been quick in the ball to catch before they were yanked or stuff that is no longer viewable.
I'm sure you could write a bot that "views" a few thousand titles for you every day, until you run out.

zkylon

zkylewd
I still want to see more stylized old style 3D. Stuff like Cat Mouth Island, Malebolgia, and that game based off PSX Survival horror look so good to me.

i agree, i love "low res" 3d style stuff

the 3d stuff in dungeon of the endless was a good example, as is devil daggers and neon struct and whatnot

blocky, "pixelarty" or very simple texturework, i love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom