• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
jason stoppin game collecting and instead focusing on travelling gives me hope for this world
Jase did WHAT
tumblr_mrny78nkb31ry09hydx.gif

Durante

Outland just aged badly

it was novel and good for that at the time

it's release on PC just came at a time when many games did what it did, better
Tell me about all those coop metroidvanias, I'd love to play them!

Meh, it's totally a case by case thing, most Unity games run well on PC.
I wish that was true. I guess it's a question on how you define "well".

The vast majority of Unity games I've ever played feature intermittent stutter.

Salsa

Tell me about all those coop metroidvanias, I'd love to play them!

I guess that's true?

I mostly meant the indie metroidvania-like with the one world altering mechanic

I never saw the co-op aspect as a big drive to it. maybe that's the way to play it

Balthuk

Got to say it feels good to be able to lose myself in videogames again when I come home from school.
After my slump last year where I mostly forced myself to game and ended up hating it instead this really is an improvement.
Been playing danganronpa three days in a row on almost all of my free time and just forgetting about everything else.
Same happened with Stardew Valley last week which I will continue with when I'm finished with danganronpa, alreayd looking forward to it but danganronpa is just too good for me to switch between both at the moment.

I really hope this won't falter too quickly. Actually this whole thing came when I decided to change my mindset a bit after anxiety and depression leading to too many sick days over about a year gave me one hell of a wake-up call.
I decided that I should start focusing on something that I really want ( For me to get into uni and study Applied Physics and Electrical engineering which is a new goal I came up with when I decided for this change) which has completly changed how I both interact with others and look at what I'm supposed to do.
I've stopped saying I'm not enough and started looking at what I have to change in order to reach milestones and with that both my old hapiness is back and my love for games.

So really I do not believe the games was the problem (What I thougth last year) but more about the conditions I had outside of gaming that led to the slump I was in.

Well this post really didn't end up like I planned it to be, hope it's ok anyways.

Hey just wanted to say keep having fun, good for you! Maybe say which games you are enjoying other than those two so that we can get an idea for ourselves. Cheers :D

MUnited83

For you.
pretty sure Hitman's online shit is directly affecting game performance

which is ridiculous

and stupid

havent seen such a great game hindered by stuff like this in a while

what a shame denton

Did you try playing offline so you can check if there's performance problems that way?

i'll just leave these early access related graphs here

700x-1

I know this is an unpopular opinion but this chart paints early access in a very poor light. Three out of four early access games never make it to release?! What happens to the customers of those games? I think the percentage is high enough that we should start looking past the standard line of "Oh you should have known better before buying this unfinished product with no future guarantees".

Any game that has too much emphasis on CA MUST add an option to disable/enable it whther on PC or consoles. This CA forced trend must end.

I was just thinking about all the crappy visual effects the industry has tried over the years. I think it was back in 2004 when HDR was first being implemented. Far Cry and Half Life 2 Lost Coast were the first games to have it if I remember correctly. Then Oblivion happened and Bethesda just plastered the game in HDR and bloom and fucked it up completely.

Then there was the time when some studios tried to make film grain a thing. I seem to recall it starting with Mass Effect but it could have been earlier. Maybe Gears of War?

Then came ridiculous motion blur and depth of field effects. So badly overdone that it felt like they were trying to mimic the effects of myopia.

Then we got to god rays. Remember that one game where they just threw in god rays without even bothering to check which direction the sun was in?
EDIT - it was this

And now we've reached the era of chromatic aberration and the vignette effect. I still don't know why vignette exists. Is it supposed to mimic some Instagram filter or something?

It's a real shame that so many developers don't value clean, crisp image quality. Or at least exercise some subtlety when they use these effects in their games.

Sölf;198352800 said:
Well, at least Steam is still happening. But if that will change/save anything?

It could have. But with this news, do you think anybody playing it on Steam will actually buy some microtransactions, knowing collapse is imminent?

MUnited83

For you.
I know this is an unpopular opinion but this chart paints early access in a very poor light. Three out of four early access games never make it to release?! What happens to the customers of those games? I think the percentage is high enough that we should start looking past the standard line of "Oh you should have known better before buying this unfinished product with no future guarantees".

? Nothing there says that 3 out of 4 EA games never release. It says only 1 out of 4 manages to release in a period of 18 months.

Rune Factory was my jam. Is it more of the same or does it add something new?

I've never played Rune Factory but I have played HM and Story of Seasons. It's similar, probably a little more simplistic since it was made by one guy, it's got a lot of charm, it's got characters who aren't all smiles and sunshine - who have some more realistic issues, even if it's only explored on a surface level - and of course it's on PC which means it's already got modders working on it.

Any idea When Day if the Tentacle will be available for preorder on Steam? One of the devs said this week but wasn't sure if there was more info.

Salsa

I should have never launched XCOM 2 today I was right JESUS CHRIST

fuckin Muton critical 8 health shot killin a sniper from 21930809 kms away

what the FUCK do you want from me game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom