• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorntoPlay

I was going to buy a 970 but now I am learning they are trash?

This is why building a PC is stressful.

i recently got a great deal on a evga 970 ssc for $236 with the rise of the tomb raiders game, my original plan was to wait for pascal, but i got tired of waiting because i didnt have any gpu and the skylake igpu is really shit...

Got my first gaming PC (thanks Need a new PC GAF). I've had a Steam account for a bit but haven't really been able to run most of the games I've bought until now. Is this thread used to exchange Steam ID's? Just wanted to add some folk, mainly. My Steam ID is retrobrando.

Been playing Undertale for a few hours today (just had to test my new PC muscle on it) and it's fantastic.

edit: just saw the Steam ID form in the OP, so I'll use that :)

Welcome!
Added you i'm TheLaggiestPunk

Man... I'm really tempted by Stardew Valley. I remember playing the SNES one for a bit when it came out, but it was so long ago, I don't remember much of it at all. Would it be worth it to get Stardew or just play the SNES one that I have kicking around somewhere in my house?

Turfster

When I was young everyone could high five without awkwardness. Everyone. Straight out of the womb.

Up top!
Down low!
Too slow!

My fucking main win 2TB drive is fucking dying.
This is after I fucking lost a weekend reinstalling a fucking mac mini after apple helpfully broke the fucking network drivers irreversibly.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I have a 970 and it runs just fine for me, in fact I kinda love the card. Sure the 980 is better but I'm certainly not unhappy with my 970 by any means.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Elansar -- MB-7C2B64F59BFBEB66 - Taken by rainking187
Philia : The Sequel to Elansar -- MB-FC31585303C51A2D - Taken by ExoSoul

Just going to buy a PS4, 970s/R9 390s can't run Bloodborne anyways

The 970 isn't trash. People are idiots. I have two and a 980ti and my two machines that have the 970s in them are fine. Primal is probably one of the worst games to benchmark a card for. It's a Ubisoft game, and a really bad stop-gap one at that. Remember how bad FarCry 4 was broken at launch... Hell, it's still bad, I have a 980ti and still dips to 40fps randomly. Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about. AMD cards are ok, but spend a little extra money and get a much better brand. Nvidia is leaps and bounds better at driver support than AMD (I did hear they are getting better though, but still not able to compete with Nvidia)

If you are looking for a card to get you to play games at 60/1080 and can't wait at all and want the best bang for your buck, the 970 is great. I run my Oculus DK2 on it just fine and has no trouble pushing out 75fps to the rift. If you want something a bit better I'd say wait a bit as the 970 is a little old at this point, and everyone is thinking Nivida will bring out new cards soonish. If you can't wait but want a little more oomph... get a 980ti.

Why is this even being brought up again, I thought we were past this discussion in Sept 2014 when the 970 came out?!

mrgone

Man... I'm really tempted by Stardew Valley. I remember playing the SNES one for a bit when it came out, but it was so long ago, I don't remember much of it at all. Would it be worth it to get Stardew or just play the SNES one that I have kicking around somewhere in my house?

If you don't have much attachment to Harvest Moon you could probably just sell it and play Stardew Valley and everything else you wanted to play right now and for much of the year.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/harvest-moon

ExoSoul

Banned
Clueless Gamer: "Far Cry Primal" With PewDiePie - CONAN on TBS

PNOXkSw.gif

You're late :v

That SNES HM price, holy cow.

Stardew Valley is really good. It scratches a major Harvest Moon itch while adding its own flair and charm.

I've only played HM64 though, so I can't compare the two directly.

Do it. The hype is justified.

There an ETA on Slain? Anything that remotely resembles Castlevania has my undivided attention, even though games "like" Castlevania are usually generic garbage, especially "roguelike" stuff IMO. I just hope this one turns out better. It certainly looks cool.

Kagemusha

There an ETA on Slain? Anything that remotely resembles Castlevania has my undivided attention, even though games "like" Castlevania are usually generic garbage, especially "roguelike" stuff IMO. I just hope this one turns out better. It certainly looks cool.

March 24th 2016

Turfster

FML.

Pitch me good, not too loud mechanical tenkey keyboards that aren't fugly (so no logitech).
Macro keys would be a bonus, but not necessary.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah sci-fi souls is like a great idea but lords of the fallen was such a blegh game that it's hard to think that the ppl that made it 'get it'. i mean, there's potential there, but it fails so critically on the important stuff that it ends up feeling so pointless

also honestly i wish ppl didn't just replicate the mechanics but more importantly they'd try to emulate dark souls' design sensibilities

i think that can be applied to games that aren't melee oriented, or that don't have a stamina bar, or that they're not even action games

The people who post that, straight up with the template and all choose to do so. It's not like SUPERHOT has some login for GAF integration. :lol
That said, it goes back to reading the thread and nobody doing it before posting. Maybe they think they're being helpful, but with 60 other people having done it (hyperbole), I'm pretty sure someone could find a discount URL if they were so incline... y'know, if they just didn't VPN and buy it from Nuuvem instead.

Speaking of nobody reading anything, why are the section banners/header images misspelling "useful" as usefule?
i mean, sure, but it's probably ppl being enthusiastic about something they love rather than like something for their own benefit or whatever. i just really don't like that kind of marketing tactic cos it turns ppl into annoying drones and if you're gonna tell me superhot is a cool game use your own words, don't copy pasta some promotional crap

zkylon

zkylewd
i just spent 2 hours talking about the witness with a friend on my building's doorstep

neither of us are 100% into it but the conversations it's sparked has been awesome

KingKong

I keep trying to get into Arkham Knight but that game is straight up bad. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one. Shame because it runs great almost maxed out on my new pc and looks gorgeous

I keep trying to get into Arkham Knight but that game is straight up bad. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one. Shame because it runs great almost maxed out on my new pc and looks gorgeous

I didn't think it was THAT bad, I quite enjoyed it. I do think the game did try and have you too much and shove in some really bad racetrack segments, but it was about 20 mins out of the whole game (I 120%ed it again last month for the second time with all the DLC too, and it was enjoyable as a podcast game while waiting for Tomb Raider to get released on the PC)

zkylon

zkylewd
But was it worth the $40 price point?
i don't like to give money recommendations cos money means something different to each, so can't really tell you

for me 40 bucks is a lot of money but the witness wasn't really a game i was gonna wait for a sale or whatever. some games i really like playing on release to be part of the conversation and this was definitely one of them, analyzing where it succeeds and where it fails and comparing my experience to others was really important to me personally, and even if i struggled to get a grasp of what the game was really about i feel like i'm there now and i can really appreciate what it's trying to do

so yeah i can't tell you about money but if you like puzzle games and you like critically thinking about games mechanics and game design then it's probably gonna be a really good idea to pick this up. it's not quite as approacheable as braid but i find some things about it are more sophisticated and may be a better reflection of blow as a designer than what braid did. some other things are a bit questionable but even those are a good point of conversation

so yeah idk, it's a game i've been following for a long while and i had a lot of expectations for. ymmv if that's not the case for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom