• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Stallion Free's Month in Review: February 2016 Completions
Prior Months: January

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Rise of the Tomb Raider is just more of the same, but bigger, slightly better, and with some padding you didn't ask for. They kept the exact same formula and polished it a bit and added a little more to the various mechanics. Did you like crafting and upgrading? Well there is even more to craft and upgrade/craft this time! Did you want more tombs? There are more tombs! Did you want more platforming? There are some new climbing mechanics! But none of those additions make any of those mechanics any deeper or more interesting. The tombs are the best example of this. There are maybe two in the entirety of the game that are more involved than the ones in 2013 and while there are more of them they barely any longer or meatier. It's just a "here take more of it" without any real effort put into addressing the fan requests from the last game.

I'm a big supporter of vicious murderer Lara when it comes to these new games and I like they she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, but you kill an insane number of people in this game. It's just tedious towards the end and actually breaks the immersion. I was playing on the hardest difficulty and in the final portion of the game you are basically and unkillable goddess who barely blinks while ending the lives of 5+ highly trained mercs every 30 seconds. It's becoming really jarring and I think the games would benefit from reigning it in on the enemy count to something slightly less absurd. The player is so overpowered at that point that numbers have zero impact on the difficulty anyways.

I was pleased with how short the exclusivity period on this game lasted. That was a huge plus.

Verdict: Check it out if you loved Tomb Raider 2013, otherwise pass.

Resident Evil Zero

This is such a weird game, but it is a wonderful port that deserves to be supported as much as other recent late ports from Capcom. The devs had access to the source files for the pre-rendered backgrounds this time around and the result is a stunning difference when compared to the admirable attempt made with REmake. Gone are are sketchy upscaled room renders and in it's place are crisp re-renders that hold up spectacularly at 1080p (though I do still believe the game should be played in 4:3 mode).

The two character setup is really bizarre at first and takes a while to get used too, but in the end it actually had me convinced that I wouldn't have minded Chris and Jill sticking together in the same manner in RE1. Having a total of twelve item slots for a large chunk of the game while the characters are together is a huge boon and so long as you don't play too stupidly, the segments apart aren't too bad. I also found the lack of the item box to be frustrating at first, particularly with the puzzle items, but the map tracking every item you have touched in every room works as a solid alternative. Continuing the trend of weirdness was the pure anime villain. RE games have always been pretty goofy, but I think they actually crossed a line here and lost all ability to make the game creepy. Despite all of the oddness, I think my only two serious complaints about the game is that the areas feel too similar to REmake and the lame bosses. The train makes for a strong opening, but the game falls back on a lot of tropes immediately afterwards. I played REmake roughly a year ago, but I still felt a lot of deja vu. That sense of deja vu carries over to the bosses and the ones that don't feel like retreads are just uninteresting designs.

Verdict: Check it out if you loved REmake/Resident Evil in general. Give it some breathing room though.

SUPERHOT

Superhot is pretty much perfect. It doesn't overstay it's welcome, but it does feel like it thoughtfully explores all of it's gameplay elements. Each scenario pushes your abilities to use those elements a little further than the last and every so often they add a new wrinkle. It never stops feeling fresh and they really manage to make the most of some tried and true shootout locations. Bars and stairwells in half constructed buildings have never come to life quite the way they do here when you have such control over every element in the play space. The primary gimmick of time (almost) stopping whenever you stop is perfectly implemented. It's clear the devs spent a lot of time on it. I loved that it's not a complete stop as bullets do still move and while it is significantly slower it forces the player to make decisions in a timely manner. I love that the weapon functions of the player are also heavily tied to the time stop. Pulling the trigger moves time forwards just slightly, but you have to move time a bit further for the gun to chamber the next round. It all comes together really well and seeing your actions play out in real time after finishing a level is a great reward.

The narrative the devs came up with to make sense of the art direction and game itself is just as slick as the game mechanics. They put everything into selling the player on a specific mood for the game and they do some clever things once they pull you into their world.

Verdict: Check it out ASAP.

Broken Age

I'm glad I supported the creation of this game and received such an intimate look at the creation of it. It's too bad the game itself was ultimately underwhelming. I played Act 1 of the game when it first released in the flurry of controversy and quite enjoyed it overall. I had intended to play Act 2 as soon as it released, but ended up distracted and didn't give it a shot until now. I think my biggest disappointment with the game was the overarching narrative. The first half builds a lot of intrigue and potential and the second half just falls apart in delivering on all of that. The villain is underdeveloped and, frankly, lame. The motivations for all of the actions are explained, but are never really sold to the player in a convincing manner. The player barely sees any of the climactic location and the ending really suffers from it. It really does feel like they ran out of money and time and had to make do with what they had. I enjoy adventure games most for the stories they tell and this one left me feeling hollow. I felt like I deserved more from the build up of Act 1.

On the (sort of) upside: the characters are a lot of fun to interact with and I liked almost all of them. Some of objects/robots had a ton of charm and the humans had some rather clever lines that left me smiling. The art is usually stunning. There are some bits that look rough, but not enough to hold back the vision of the art director. The puzzles are inoffensive, with the exception of the wiring puzzles that grow tedious quickly.

Verdict: Soft pass.

I keep trying to get into Arkham Knight but that game is straight up bad. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one. Shame because it runs great almost maxed out on my new pc and looks gorgeous

Arkham Knight was fun, at least for me. Especially the tank sections that I enjoyed immensely (I played with a gamepad). I didn't bother with any of the side activities though, especially those riddles stuff. It was a good game with good graphics and a surprisingly nice, seamless open world. The story though, yeah that was bad.

-------------------------------------------- >8

Rumour time:
Forza Motorsport 6: Apex coming to PC for free this Spring?

Ozium

Got up to 1999 games via bundle trash, so I grabbed Stardew Valley as my 2000th game.

then added the remaining bundle keys

Interested in Stardew Valley, but I don't know if I have the patience to play it myself right now. Enjoyable to watch in the background at the very least. But seeing it is making me want to go back to Banished which I barely gave any time.

Also probably gonna finally sink my teeth into XCOM 2 this week.

Some people on the GAF thread are seriously optimistic about it being F2P. Like the article says, it sounds more like a free enticement so people jump to the Xbox One version. But, hopefully I'm wrong.

Yeah, I'm guessing it'll be a tease in a form of demo or something like that.

Microsoft says it knows the Windows Store is lacking, but there are plans to improve it.

You can buy Rise of the Tomb Raider from Steam, or you can buy it from Microsoft. The price is the same, but as How-To Geek recently explained, the games themselves are not. The Windows Store version does not allow vsync to be disabled, and it always runs in “borderless fullscreen” mode, which can potentially limit performance. Even more problematic, because Microsoft Store games are built on the new “Universal Windows Platform” rather than as conventional executable files, modding isn't possible, nor can it be added to your Steam library, which means you can't play it with the Steam controller.
Microsoft's Mike Ybarra refuted the claim that the Microsoft Store prevents SLI and Crossfire from working, saying on Twitter that “games just need to support it,” but he also acknowledged, and promised to fix, the vsync issue—something that port developer Nixxes confirmed on Steam is a limitation of the UWP framework. Xbox boss Phil Spencer addressed the complaints more broadly, saying that Microsoft has “plans to improve” the store, although he didn't offer any specific examples of how.
At least they have plans to improve...i guess

Hikami

Hey guys, I don't visit this thread very often. I might now though since I just built my first PC a few days ago.. looking to hopefully get more into PC gaming since my last PC could only play low spec games.

Thinking about getting Dark Souls 3 on Steam but, do you guys think my rig would be able to run it at 1080p/60fps?

i5-6500 3.2 GHz
GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
16GB RAM

I know I could just buy it on Steam anyways and refund it in case it doesn't run well but.. I'd rather just get the game on PS4 if it's not gonna run well on my PC in the first place.

kagamin

Hey guys, I don't visit this thread very often. I might now though since I just built my first PC a few days ago.. looking to hopefully get more into PC gaming since my last PC could only play low spec games.

Thinking about getting Dark Souls 3 on Steam but, do you guys think my rig would be able to run it at 1080p/60fps?

i5-6500 3.2 GHz
GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
16GB RAM

I know I could just buy it on Steam anyways and refund it in case it doesn't run well but.. I'd rather just get the game on PS4 if it's not gonna run well on my PC in the first place.

I have no doubt in my mind that my computer will run the game that well at that resolution because Scholar of the First Sin runs at constant 60FPS on my computer at 1527p and mine is slightly worse than yours (960 2GB, i54690k @ 3.5 GHz, 8GB RAM).

Ludens

Banned

i5-6500 3.2 GHz
GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
16GB RAM

I think you SHOULD be ok, since the recommended GPU is a GeForce 750.

OS: Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 10 64bit
Processor: AMD FX 8150 3.6 GHz or Intel Core™ i7 2600 3.4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, ATI Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 50 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 sound device

Hikami

I have no doubt in my mind that my computer will run the game that well at that resolution because Scholar of the First Sin runs at constant 60FPS on my computer at 1527p and mine is slightly worse than yours (960 2GB, i54690k @ 3.5 GHz, 8GB RAM).

I think you SHOULD be ok, since the recommended GPU is a GeForce 750.

Will go ahead and get the Steam version then. Seems like I get a discount for owning the first Dark Souls as well, nice.

Soulflarz

Banned

i5-6500 3.2 GHz
GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
16GB RAM

Youre set to enjoy

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
you didn't even sleep did you

Haha, I did, but I woke up "early" anyway.

Are cd keys region locked, i.e. Fallout 4 or season pass?

They can be. DLC can only be activation-restricted but some games will only run in certain regions. In the case of Fallout 4, it has runtime-restricted packages for Eastern Europe (Eastern European IP required to play) and activation-restricted packages for Asia, Brazil and China (no VPN required after activation). It seems runtime locks expire after three months, though (e.g. if you activated an RU key for Fallout 4 today, the game would be region-free come June 1st... assuming this isn't unintentional on Valve's part).

You know I see this linked all the time but I still don't know how to read this to find out if a game has region locks lol. Like I can see cross region trading/gifting is blocked but idk if a key is blocked.

I'm feeling helpful tonight. World must be ending.
I'm too tired to do screencaps though, so I'm going to make due with copy/paste.
So here you go. Go to steamdb.info when these types of questions occur. Search on your game:

https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=fallout+4

In this case, you'll see this in the results:
Code:
APPID	APP TYPE	NAME	LAST UPDATED
377160	Game	Fallout 4	about 10 hours ago
409260	Unknown	SteamDB Unknown App 409260 (Fallout 4 Press)	4 months ago
404090	DLC	Fallout 4 Season Pass	4 months ago

I left the last one off cause it's something to do with Fallout 3 and not really helpful for answering your question. So in this case, there's only 1 app for Fallout 4, great. Click the APPID for Fallout 4: https://steamdb.info/app/377160/

So on these pages, what you're interested in is the subs that are listed; you can get there by clicking on the "Packages" tab where the page turns back to white. I think this is a direct link to have that come up: https://steamdb.info/app/377160/

Now what you want to look for here is any indication that there are multiple subs that might be restricted. Fallout 4 is making this easy on us:

Code:
69994	Fallout 4	Store or CD Key	26 days ago
84093	Fallout 4	Store or CD Key	3 months ago
[B]83515	Fallout 4 BR	CD Key	3 months ago
82678	Fallout 4 ASIA	CD Key	3 months ago
79971	Fallout 4 RU	CD Key	3 months ago
79970	Fallout 4 CN	CD Key	3 months ago[/B]
69992	Fallout 4 Developer Comp	CD Key	3 months ago
81222	Fallout 4 Press	CD Key	4 months ago
11126	Quakecon 2011 Public Retail	CD Key	4 months ago
26721	Bethesda Games Studio Developer	CD Key	4 months ago
69993	Fallout 4 for Beta Testing	CD Key	4 months ago

If we look at the bolded above, you can see there's specific subs for regions Brazil, Asia, Russia, and China before we even look deeper. So yes, Fallout 4 seems to be "region locked" in the sense that regions where it's cheaper have specific subs.

By contrast, let's take a look at the subs for the season pass: https://steamdb.info/app/404090/subs/

Code:
79144	Fallout 4 Season Pass	Store or CD Key	4 months ago
11126	Quakecon 2011 Public Retail	CD Key	4 months ago
26721	Bethesda Games Studio Developer	CD Key	4 months ago
79142	Fallout 4 Season Pass Developer Comp	CD Key	4 months ago
79143	Fallout 4 Season Pass for Beta Testing	CD Key	4 months ago
80258	Fallout 4 Season Pass CN	CD Key	4 months ago
80259	Fallout 4 Season Pass RU

If we look here, you can see of all the "normal" type subs, the only specifically called out subs are CN and RU. Since there's no Brazil sub, maybe you could get it from Nuuvem (hint: it worked for me). But you better check that first sub just to make sure. So click on the 79144 for Fallout 4 Season Pass: https://steamdb.info/sub/79144/

Look at the Information tab here:

Code:
billingtype	Store or CD Key (10)
licensetype	Single Purchase (1)
status	Available (0)
codeclass	Code Class Not Set (-1)
gamecode	-1
[B]territorycode	Territory Not Set (-1)
AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting	No
[/B]

This seems to be the ROW sub, since there is no territory set. So in theory, the key should work for you, without a VPN, and without any runtime restrictions.

By contrast, if we go look at the Fallout 4 BR app information we saw earlier when checking to see if the main game was region locked (I went back to the list of Fallout 4 subs listed under that apps Packages tab and got the link): https://steamdb.info/sub/83515/

Again, you want the info tab:

Code:
billingtype	CD Key (3)
licensetype	Single Purchase (1)
status	Available (0)
codeclass	Steam 2010 Key (4)
gamecode	0
territorycode	USA (0)
[B]AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries	Yes
PurchaseRestrictedCountries expand	BR
[/B]AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting	No

The bold part is the important part. By looking at the two bolded flags, you can see that the code should only be purchase-able (and thus redeemable) in Brazil, thus you'd need a VPN to buy AND redeem from Nuuvem (should they not shut you down with paypal address check). However, no runtime restriction is listed, so if you were comfortable with VPN activation, it should be alright; if you aren't, then yes, for all intents and purposes it's region-locked to Brazil if bought from Nuuvem.

I notice that lots of new pc gamers show up lately on this thread and gaf in general. It's getting more cozy here.

Welcome to all~!

Very helpful and informative. Thanks a lot for your time and thorough response.

Glad you got something out of it. I think it pretty much parrots what JaseC said before I typed it all up, but maybe it can help to explain why the answers JaseC gave are what they are. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom