• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

u0f1O1S.png

Actually, I don't know why but the girl on the right looks so damn familiar... and I'm pretty sure I never followed the making of this game...
Is this a case of tracing or something?

neonglow

I ended up getting my codes for Far Cry Primal and Ashes about 12 hours after I made the order. Time to actually install Uplay now.

Salsa

I have a DS lite, a DSi, and a DSi XL and a copy of 999, and I have a 3DS to get VLR on

I should get on board. I played like halfway through 999 and while interesting, idk. Ace Attorney is my favorite videogame series but weirdly enough I can never get into other visual novel stuff

maybe it's the anime

I have 999 and I have a 3DS to get VLR on

I should get on board. I played like halfway through 999 and while interesting, idk. Ace Attorney is my favorite videogame series but weirdly enough I can never get into other visual novel stuff

maybe it's the anime

What about Ghost Trick ? :")

DasFool

Ghost Trick is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time

I beat it in one sitting and I immediatly started it again

This was the opposite for me. I ran through 999 in 2 very long sittings, but could never get too far into Ghost Trick. Last thing I remember is meeting Cabanela and then stopping for some reason...

Salsa

I bet money on Ace Attorney coming to Steam sooner than later (there's already PC versions in japan) and you guys have no fuckin idea, man

and this comes from me, you know, the guy who hates all these anime avatars

Salsa

I wanted to play Danganronpa, too, purely casue of Phoenix love but both the price and art style really threw me way off

see this is dope

while this is just fuckin anime

people go on and on that I should try all these other games but they're so different from Ace Attorney, both thematically, in art style, and just in general with their loli weirdness

Trucy's magical panties is about as much as I can take

Nyoro SF

I bet money on Ace Attorney coming to Steam sooner than later (there's already PC versions in japan) and you guys have no fuckin idea, man

I would love for this to happen.

Especially the 3D model AA5 and AA6, where on PC we can remove all of the fuzzies.

Unfortunately I think the Ace Attorney series is low on Capcom's PC porting radar. :(

I'd pay full price for Ace Attorney Trilogy. 60 EUROS.

Endruen

I wanted to play Danganronpa, too, purely casue of Phoenix love but both the price and art style really threw me way off

see this is dope

while this is just fuckin anime

people go on and on that I should try all these other games but they're so different from Ace Attorney, both thematically, in art style, and just in general with their loli weirdness

Trucy's magical panties is about as much as I can take
Freaking Godot, man, best fucking character in the entire series.
Also, it's still anime.

it's like comparing Cowboy Bebop to that weird "loli girls in highschool outfits in a band!" shitty thing
DO NOT CALL K-ON SHITTY, YOU HEAR ME?!
tGrT.gif

Salsa

Freaking Godot, man, best fucking character in the entire series.
Also, it's still anime.

see this:

SalsaShark said:
it's like comparing Cowboy Bebop to that weird "loli girls in highschool outfits in a band!" shitty thing

anime can be cool

it's just really reaching the point where "anime" ends up meaning that loli stuff rather than the good stuff

at least on the western internet

Dr Dogg

And of course PayPal would shit the bed over here just when I'm flogging a load of stuff on eBay. Dark Souls III funds might mave to come out of my own pocket which will balls up my sell stuff before being new stuff run I had going.

Xbox One just got Symphony of the Night backwards compatibility.

I'm jealous.

Still prefer the PS One version via emulation but I guess I could give the Xbone version a spin. Though when the scaler gets involved there's a touch of visible sharpening halos that's not exactly a pretty sight on some titles.

Salsa

I love Phoenix Wright cause it's more like a really ridiculous soap opera

it has anime sensibilities in the sense that it makes lawyers look like freakin Yu Gi Oh people battling it out with dramatic backgrounds

the ridiculousness of it is very japanese, and it's super god damn cool

but other than that there's very little there, in terms of what you'd expect by calling it an anime type of game

idk Capcom gonna CAPCPCOM. Still, there is a bit of hope. Say if you will, wbacon (who works in Capcom Digital Games platform), happens to lobby for Ace Attorney coming to Steam after seeing the numbers on how other console handheld games ported to PC fair out (Danganronpa). Plus more console established VNs/Adventure games are making their way to Steam (Zero Escape series).

Well we can think about it, for sure.

Knurek

Still prefer the PS One version via emulation but I guess I could give the Xbone version a spin. Though when the scaler gets involved there's a touch of visible sharpening halos that's not exactly a pretty sight on some titles.

Worth noting - Mednafen/PSX core in Retroarch supports CPU overclocking, getting rid of various slowdowns including the one from SoTN where "after beating a boss, a spot effect would bring the framerate to its knees for around 4 to 5 seconds."
Might be worth checking it out. :)

anime can be cool

it's just really reaching the point where "anime" ends up meaning that loli stuff rather than the good stuff

at least on the western internet

Please stop listening to only Neogaf and Fox News for what anime is and isn't. I have dodged that shit for years. Still watching anime as much as I did before.

Salsa

Please stop listening to only Neogaf and Fox News for what anime is and isn't. I have dodged that shit for years.

I don't care enough about it to look elsewhere

and I don't have such a disdain for it that I wont look at whatever looks interesting

I just don't like the popular stuff. I dont like the art, im bothered by the (here come fox news) overly sexualized teenage girls and just the tropes that every god damn series falls into (there's a chippy young deer-in-headlights HOT chick, there's a serious semi-enemy but GOOD INTENTIONED character that barely speaks and WEARS GLASSES, our hero is all Ash Ketchum-like)

I dont think it's unrealistic to just see popular anime as that, cause for the most part it is. I gave it shots

I'll watch Space Dandy still. I think Ping Pong The Animation is a god damn masterpiece.

I think saying "Japanese animation fuckin sucks" is very stupid, and I aint saying that. I think the distinction is clear

im sure it has redeeming qualities, it just aint for me.

mp1990

Banned
I don't know about Ace Attorney being an "anime" game. It has some over the top characters and it's pretty heavy on the japanese media tropes, but there's definitely a dividing line between it and, let's say, Danganronpa or Steins;Gate, especially considering how the localization affected its content. It's not something I'd recommend for someone who's just got in contact with games, even though it's one of my favorite franchises, but the discrepancy between it and other games of the same genre can't be ignored.

Salsa

I don't know about Ace Attorney being an "anime" game. It has some over the top characters and it's pretty heavy on the japanese media tropes, but there's definitely a dividing line between it and, let's say, Danganronpa or Steins;Gate, especially considering how the localization affected its content. It's not something I'd recommend for someone who's just got in contact with games, even though it's one of my favorite franchises, but the discrepancy between it and other games of the same genre can't be ignored.

That's what im saying. You'd think me liking the series so much would mean I'd love VNs or something

but it's on a whole other level

edit: they're even pretty self-aware. I think characters like April May are even mocking the genre

Endruen

Ok, here go the screenshots of Disgaea PC with the different graphic setups for those who had doubts about it.

This is without any new filter, font or texture. This is exactly Disgaea in PS2 but in 1080p.

This are the new textures and font. The close ups are high res too.

This is the SSAO effect (only avalaible for the new textures).

This is difficult to see in the screenshot but it adds a bit of depth to the map textures (only avalaible for the new textures). This is how I play the game.

This are the character filter, depth of field and screen end blur effects, All of them horrible in my opinion and they drop the FPS like crazy.

And this is a comparision with the depth of field on and off, I thought it wasn't perceivable in the former screens.

And whatever you do, use the V-Sync option, it's horrible otherwise.

Salsa

Ok, here go the screenshots of Disgaea PC with the different graphic setups for those who had doubts about it.

This is without any new filter, font or texture. This is exactly Disgaea in PS2 but in 1080p.

This are the new textures and font. The close ups are high res too.

This is the SSAO effect (only avalaible for the new textures).

This is difficult to see in the screenshot but it adds a bit of depth to the map textures (only avalaible for the new textures). This is how I play the game.

This are the character filter, depth of field and screen end blur effects, All of them horrible in my opinion and they drop the FPS like crazy.

And this is a comparision with the depth of field on and off, I thought it wasn't perceivable in the former screens.

And whatever you do, use the V-Sync option, it's horrible otherwise.

I appreciate the time you took, but it boils down really to a personal thing of not liking low-res sprites against clean lookin polygonal backgrounds

maybe it was always like that

Endruen

I appreciate the time you took, but it boils down really to a personal thing of not liking low-res sprites against clean lookin polygonal backgrounds

maybe it was always like that

I'm so used to Fire Emblem that that isn't an issue for me XD
But as I said, if you don't like the contrast, just use the old backgrounds and everything is fine. Or just lower the resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom