• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

Not sure if I like what Facebook is doing.

O08PGj8.png

Like / Love / I just saw the mangled corpses of my kids (?)

KingKong

I really dont get the major hassle people are talking about with the authenticator. I get a message on my phone, swipe to open the app, click the transaction and click to create

Yeah it takes longer but by like 10 seconds

r3n4ud

I really dont get the major hassle people are talking about with the authenticator. I get a message on my phone, swipe to open the app, click the transaction and click to create

Multiply that by hundreds of times, it's annoying as hell.

it's really annoying when you just want to sell a bunch of .03 cards to make just a fucking penny.

Maybe I'd have less of an issue if the rest of the mobile app wasn't busted to hell and back.

I can't even browse the store half the time if I try to type something in.

AHA-Lambda

Question though: have you played predominantly solo or with friends and/or matchmaking?

I admit I mostly played solo, as I had said earlier on I really only wanted a decent cover shooter experience from it and that's largely what I got, and am happy with the price I paid for it.
I recognise that's not what most people wanted or expected however which led to many of my earlier critiques of the game.

I had to team up a lot towards the end as playing solo in the higher level areas really isn't viable.

KingKong

I mean I'm not denying its a hassle but so is idling for 5 hours then looking up prices and listing cards, this is just another minor part of the process

I mean I'm not denying its a hassle but so is idling for 5 hours then looking up prices and listing cards, this is just another minor part of the process
I got a card from Danganronpa from actually playing, went to sell it, and then was asked to jump hoops and use their garbage mobile app. Nothing wrong with the old system, maybe they should just get customer service representatives and they wouldn't need to annoy the rest of their users.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Indie Gala "Smack Down" Bundle

Pay only $1 and Get these 3 great games!

Mr. Bree+ (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Phoenix Force (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Daedalus - No Escape (STEAM)

Pay only $2.99 or more (ONLY FIRST 24 Hours) and Get The Entire Bundle of 12 Steam Games!

Big Action Mega Fight! (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
OutDrive (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Wyv and Keep: The Temple of the Lost Idol (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
MechaNika (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
123 Slaughter Me Street (STEAM)
Cally's Caves (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Plight of the Zombie (STEAM)
Space Pilgrim Episode II: Epsilon IndiT (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Pay2Win: The Tricks Exposed (STEAM)

https://www.indiegala.com/smackdown

Grief.exe

I have no controllers available to me right now. Is there an Xbox 360 controller that comes with a wireless adapter?

I get the impression that you are playing from the couch, so I would recommend the DS4. You can use the touch pad as a mouse.

I believe you have to buy the Xbox 360 wireless adapter separately at this point as Microsoft doesn't manufacture them anymore. Xbox One + Wireless wireless adapter is also a viable choice.

Also, I'am confused does the steam copy of Dark Souls 1 come with DSfix?

No, you have to install that separately.

I admit I mostly played solo, as I had said earlier on I really only wanted a decent cover shooter experience from it and that's largely what I got, and am happy with the price I paid for it.
I recognise that's not what most people wanted or expected however which led to many of my earlier critiques of the game.

I had to team up a lot towards the end as playing solo in the higher level areas really isn't viable.

Ah, I get that. There are parts of this game that really satisfy the feeling of the Rainbow Six Vegas games. I like the importance on positioning, but that being said...

...playing solo in the end game can be a huge drag. I'm 28 right now (had a weekend out of town that really cut into some otherwise devoted time) and ugh. The types of enemies at this level are centered around shaking up stagnant group mechanics, so it can turn into beating your head against a wall for a little while.

You have shotgun rushers that can down you in 2 shots, which they should, backed by snipers who can do the same, which they should, with peppered-in grenadiers and assault rifle guys. It makes for a much better formula when you're playing with a full team, keeping you from a routine of cover->all pop out->burn down->repeat.

hesho

It's stupid that Nvidia and AMD couldn't settle on one standard for monitor manufactures to adapt it faster.

i blame nvidia for this. Freesync is an open standard but nvidia has to try and own like every tech out there so they made gsync. I guess when they own the market like they do, they can pretty much do whatever the heck they want. I personally can't get over the cost of gsync monitors.

It's telling me the cost of bundle is $4.80 for just the PreSequel.

Um. Bought.

I'm on the fence for this. Sounds like a really great deal and the game looks fun but at the same time I never really did play Borderlands 2 much and I am trying to cut down my collecting purchases and saving my purchases for games I'll actually play.

I wonder if Night Dive Studios would be the people who could get the rights to OG SiN from whoever owns the trademark and put it back on Steam. I've always wanted to play it but I keep forgetting to buy it on GoG.

I wonder the same thing about Shogo. I forgot who owns that copyright for that.

Technically OG Sin is on steam because you get it with Sin "episodes." Ritual Entertainment reformed as a business entity and owns Sin. They made a package called Sin Gold 2 years ago and it is available on gog. I believe they would like it to put Sins Gold on steam but Valve insists that some things are censored like they were with the original Sin and they don't want to compromised or something goofy like that. Also I think the company exists in name only as an ip holder for Sin and has no one working full time.

Shogo is owned by Interplay and I can't think of a reason why it isn't on steam since its also on GoG beyond Night Dive and Interplay haven't worked together maybe? That or Gog was willing to do the work to make it run on modern pcs and Interplay wasn't willing to do it for Steam? Just a guess.

Neat. I didn't know it made it to steam. I have a console copy.

The last case of Crimes and Punishments has a Home Alone moment in it that makes up for the case making the guilty party real fucking obvious and essentially taking the mystery out of the whole thing.

Still, consider me a new fan of the series and of Frogwares' work. I look forward to whatever they do next!

Jawmuncher

The last case of Crimes and Punishments has a Home Alone moment in it that makes up for the case making the guilty party real fucking obvious and essentially taking the mystery out of the whole thing.

Still, consider me a new fan of the series and of Frogwares' work. I look forward to whatever they do next!

The Devils Daughter is the next game right?

The Devils Daughter is the next game right?

yup and here's the latest interview about the game

Tell us about the “expansive landscape” the game will have. What can players discover if they wander around enough?

Wael Amr: Marketing words…The levels are significantly bigger than in Crimes and Punishments and compared to investigation games overall. We also have dynamic game mechanics for which large landscape are playing a major role in the game.

What major problems from the previous game are you looking to avoid with The Devil’s Daughter? What new mechanics can aspiring detectives look forward to?

Wael Amr: The main issue we had with Crimes and Punishments was the loading before a lot of actions: dialogs, cut scenes, puzzles and between locations. We have changed that to have more direct control from the player. In return, Devil’s Daughter is more fluid and plays without interruption, it’s a very interesting turn and as the focus test shows, we are very happy about the results.

It just reads as if it'll be Crimes and Punishments on steroids which im pretty okay with so long as they at least work on the deduction stuff.

shockdude

I thought retrograde was a shooter but it's just a rhythm game masquerading as a 2d shooter.

I guess ill play it, it's only about an hour long according to hltb
Retro/Grade is a great game imo. At max difficulty it's pretty crazy and very shmup-like.
It's a shame it's so short and that the mission mode isn't that good. I'd be ok with a sequel.
it plays great with a guitar controller!
and it's a highscore game, so it's as long your fun with the game lasts
Just using a keyboard or controller is also really fun. Possibly even more so due to how frantically you need to move the ship around.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I've been playing around with Edge extensions since yesterday, and they certainly are clunky. For starters, the three "preview" extensions that are available have paths that have all been seemingly hard-coded into Edge. To install there is an EXE file that is basically a self-extracting archive that puts the required files in your Downloads folder (with no option to change the installation path). Moving the files away from your Downloads folder and trying to load it in Edge results in an error. Renaming the folder and trying to load the extension in Edge throws an error.

However, I was able to load Enhanced Steam's files into the Reddit Enhancement Suite's folder the installer created in my Downloads folder and was able to start getting somewhere. However, it appears that Microsoft is using their own msBrowser API instead of the (now more or less standard) "chrome" API. The msBrowser API isn't documented, and worse it won't throw error messages into the java console, meaning that tinkering with it is nearly a lost cause.

I'll look at it more this weekend, but it seems that Edge support for extensions at this point is nothing more than a novelty. A step in the right direction, but not quite ready for prime time.

AHA-Lambda

Ah, I get that. There are parts of this game that really satisfy the feeling of the Rainbow Six Vegas games. I like the importance on positioning, but that being said...

...playing solo in the end game can be a huge drag. I'm 28 right now (had a weekend out of town that really cut into some otherwise devoted time) and ugh. The types of enemies at this level are centered around shaking up stagnant group mechanics, so it can turn into beating your head against a wall for a little while.

You have shotgun rushers that can down you in 2 shots, which they should, backed by snipers who can do the same, which they should, with peppered-in grenadiers and assault rifle guys. It makes for a much better formula when you're playing with a full team, keeping you from a routine of cover->all pop out->burn down->repeat.

Yeah, as you say, great dynamics for teamplay but in solo you'll just keep dying and chewing through medkits even on the streets; coupled with even the basic enemies being very bullet spongy by the end.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone having issues with steam and downloading atm?

trying to download ARK Survival Evolved and the DL speed goes from 500kbs to 0 over and over

When downloading something like borderlands it hits my max 13Mbs then goes to 0 then so on and so forth

yuraya

trying to download ARK Survival Evolved and the DL speed goes from 500kbs to 0 over and over

When downloading something like borderlands it hits my max 13Mbs then goes to 0 then so on and so forth

Maybe some throttling issue with your router or Wi-Fi?

Try going to steam settings. Go to downloads and limit bandwidth to just under wtvr your usual max MB speed gets. So try putting it at 10 MB/s if 13 is the highest you usually get.

I'll look at it more this weekend, but it seems that Edge support for extensions at this point is nothing more than a novelty. A step in the right direction, but not quite ready for prime time.

Much like Edge itself. I'm not saying that to be wacky or clever. I like Edge it just isn't there yet.

ive had trouble like this lately too. normally ill be at 7+ MB/s but every couple GB it drops to 0 for like 10 min or so and will repeat that until its done.

Saiyan-Rox

Maybe some throttling issue with your router or Wi-Fi?

Try going to steam settings. Go to downloads and limit bandwidth to just under wtvr your usual max MB speed gets. So try putting it at 10 MB/s if 13 is the highest you usually get.

I managed to download the full farcry primal in just under 30 mins (uplay) so I don't think it's my router but i'll give that a try here.

Nope same thing gets to 500kbs and drops to 0 it's definitely an issue with ARK as other games are fine now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom