• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthuk

So after watching this video from Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit (which completely spoils one quest in Fallout: NV, fyi) I just got angry at Obsidian/Bethesda (dunno which of them is to blame) for not solving the issues this game has. Fallout NV is said to be this gem of a game, an RPG with amazing storylines and choices that completely change the game. Yet it has a lot of technical issues that prevent folks from playing it. I bought it a while back, took my time, installed stability mods and fixes, watched videos and stuff, made an account on nexusmod site and spent my two hours until I had to refund or keep the game tweaking and testing. Still I couldn't play the damn game. It crashed, glitched and had framerate drops.
I just feel annoyed when there are these games with a huge impact on the industry and are considered gems of the medium, yet the people tasked with getting that out to players smoothly just fuck up.
After seeing that valve games still have technical issues, even after valve got SO much more money than they used to and games such as Fallouts being anything less than completely stable, I just feel these companies don't deserve to have these games in their possession. If you have made Fallout: New Vegas and you haven't solved technical issues the damn thing has years after the fact, you either don't respect the game or your customers.
Of course I don't know how much trouble it might be to solve technical issues, especially on older games but still. I don't expect them to be completely bug-free and running at 100 fps on any gpu. I just expect them to not crash, not have memory leaks, have working vsync and stuff. If such huge companies with so much money cant'twith games with such high scores and sales , who can I trust to produce stable games?

septicore

It has been a while since I've done some gaming on Steam. Just recently finished Bravely Second on my 3DS and now I'm binge watching Daredevil season 2.

After I'm done with all that, I should have time during the Easter weekend to do some quality Steam gaming. Need to make a dent into the 52 games in a year challenge, although I'm up to 14 games so far for the year.

It's not terrible, bu it's not particularly enjoyable either. Enemies take too long to kill, and the game essentially pushes you from one combat set piece to the next, meaning there really isn't much else to do.

This is one of the games where you might be better off watching someone else play it.

As I thought, thanks for the heads up.

man i sure hope it's not as dire as you make it out to be

if i wasn't so hooked with stardoowo while i wait for dks3, i'd think about replaying the first two

those games are so good

It's certainly possible that Pitchford is pulling another pre-BL2 announcement where he said they're not working on it, only to announce it months later. But I think they (as in the Frisco HQ) really are mostly focused on BB atm. But there is their new Quebec studio - A representative said the new studio's first task will be leading development on "a new game within one of Gearbox's currently held IP's." - so who knows. Though JaseC said he thinks it might be another BL like TPS to follow BL3.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's certainly possible that Pitchford is pulling another pre-BL2 announcement where he said they're not working on it, only to announce it months later. But I think they (as in the Frisco HQ) really are mostly focused on BB atm. But there is their new Quebec studio - A representative said the new studio's first task will be leading development on "a new game within one of Gearbox's currently held IP's." - so who knows.
well, important thing is the game's good and in line with the previous installments

lots of work put into authenticity and atmosphere, a compelling character-driven story and tactical combat that's streamlined and intuitive (if possible, make it as punishing as the first two).

i want all of that again. and it has to be ww2 and not a grindhouse dumb thing

so as long as it takes, just make it good

I guess this shit I do every day of my life is for nothing then. Thanks , wish you'd told me this sooner.

Dang, you're the dev who makes this? Neato.
You a one-man-team? Asking because the art is really nice and that must be pretty lot of work for one person. Good luck with it.
It's not Far Cry 2.
FC2 is great. But they all are for different reasons. Reminds me of my post on Far Cry series.
[...]
To me Far Cry 1,2,3 are a tie at first spot since they all feel radically different to each other.
I loved the immersion and harsh world in FC2. Needing to find diamonds, the in-game map, weapon jamming and lush forests. Respawning enemies sucked though.
FC3 felt a lot more upbeat and colorful. It was a fun playground. The characters - apart very few - were totally boring and there were so many non-innovative things to do (towers, briefcases).
FC was a great single-player game, most comparable to Crysis. It was fun in its own way. Until the mutants showed up, those damn bullet sponges.
Blood Dragon has its charm but I agree that there is not much variety to carry the game anymore than the short campaign.
Haven't played FC4 or FC Primal.
Trumpwaterbottle.gif
I can't see any scenario in my head where this makes sense, ha.
Codemasters stahp
"Stahp"? Those are probably among the best modeled spectators in any recent racing game. You're blind, yo! ;)
Why Gears of War Ultimate fails to deliver on PC

Something tells me Win10 Store will have as bright of a future as a gaming platform as GfWL did.
What would need to happen for MS to change its stance on UWA and/or WinStore exclusivity.
gotta give this away like I said I would before BST thread tempts me to sell it since ppl are now buying it for $20. :p good luck!
Thanks you Jo-Jo fanboy. I got no friends it seems, so no one hooked me up with a dollar primal.

Dang, you're the dev who makes this? Neato.
You a one-man-team? Asking because the art is really nice and that must be pretty lot of work for one person. Good luck with it.

I'very been half ass following Ghost Song since it's KS launch in 2013

This game is pretty much Super Metroid + Dark Souls got married and had a baby.

From what I gather Jobbs has been very transparent and has talked to many online publications about Ghost Song.

Jobbs posts in the Game Development thread on gaming side quite frequently.

Shit posts about Ghost Song never being released is a great way to get on my ignore list.

I didn't back his KS during the time, but I will buy a copy after launch because Jobbs is doin God's work now.

AHA-Lambda

I kind of want to play Remember Me if just for the graphic style. Is the combat system that bad as people say it is? (don't like button mashing)

Nah, I got it real cheap a while back but still regretted my time with it.
Combat is functional but largely repetitive, plus the story is trash. It's aesthetic is all its got going for it.

Amazing how far Dontnod came from this to Life is Strange.

Edit: whoops, dp

Vuze

Do we know if Dark Souls III will be available on nuuvem? I kinda sorta want it but I'm not big enough of a franchise fan for pre-ordering it at full 60€ price.
Otherwise I'll just wait for a sale, I guess

kulapik

I come bearing giveaways

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kulapik, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.

Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown -- MB-22C1E80D36670CC9 - Taken by Purkake4
Shadowrun Returns -- MB-A8EB81777A59D52B - Taken by rainking187
Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! -- MB-FACDEF59D245AAB1 - Taken by Eila
t1cxE6r.gif
TransOcean: The Shipping Company -- MB-40B9B5EE2BF3E64D - Taken by bloke

mp1990

Banned
ds2 is kind of unchartedized but I like it, easier to play for me

game looks nice

Ever since I played through DS2, I've been looking for a term to describe why I loathed it so much, but you finally gave me the answer. "Unchartedized" just fits it so well, lol.

DS1 is still amazing though, one of my favorite games from last gen.
and DS3 is pretty cool too, c'mon

So after watching this video from Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit (which completely spoils one quest in Fallout: NV, fyi) I just got angry at Obsidian/Bethesda (dunno which of them is to blame) for not solving the issues this game has. Fallout NV is said to be this gem of a game, an RPG with amazing storylines and choices that completely change the game. Yet it has a lot of technical issues that prevent folks from playing it. I bought it a while back, took my time, installed stability mods and fixes, watched videos and stuff, made an account on nexusmod site and spent my two hours until I had to refund or keep the game tweaking and testing. Still I couldn't play the damn game. It crashed, glitched and had framerate drops.
I just feel annoyed when there are these games with a huge impact on the industry and are considered gems of the medium, yet the people tasked with getting that out to players smoothly just fuck up.
After seeing that valve games still have technical issues, even after valve got SO much more money than they used to and games such as Fallouts being anything less than completely stable, I just feel these companies don't deserve to have these games in their possession. If you have made Fallout: New Vegas and you haven't solved technical issues the damn thing has years after the fact, you either don't respect the game or your customers.
Of course I don't know how much trouble it might be to solve technical issues, especially on older games but still. I don't expect them to be completely bug-free and running at 100 fps on any gpu. I just expect them to not crash, not have memory leaks, have working vsync and stuff. If such huge companies with so much money cant'twith games with such high scores and sales , who can I trust to produce stable games?
This is ingeniously designed.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Now I'm getting weird major graphical glitches in Tomb Raider, from flickering to portions of the screen changing into some kind of dark mess. I don't think this game likes ati cards

Annubis

Erm... FYI Valve didn't make Fallout NV.

Grief.exe

I bought that Serious Sam steam bundle yesterday.

Like it normally went for $99 dollars. But this weekend it was on sale for 90% percent off. Like how could I not go for that? I remember trying to play Serious Sam 1 on my shitty COMPAQ decades ago and the performance sucked massive shit. How have the subsequent Serious Sam fared, quality wise?

I can't wait for the Red Faction collection to go down in price, during Summer sale hopefully. Red Faction 1 was the other FPS that had a shit performance on my old COMPAQ decades ago.

To be new to PC gaming again.

Balthuk

Erm... FYI Valve didn't make Fallout NV.

Yeah poorly worded. I just played some valve games (TF2, CS:GO) recently and wanted to link that (poor technical) experience with fallout new vegas being unstable/buggy. As in both valve and obsidian/bethesda (dunno whose fault is is) made great games, a load of money and won't go back to iron out technical issues, preventing people from properly experiencing them.

Hold on to your butts folks. Keyboard Gen.2 is coming!
Move Master (prototype)
German video but you can see some gameplay at 4:45
A very different type of controller. Folks are saying it works well on more than just FPS/TPS but also strategy games. The journalist says often how intuitive it feels.
I'm not sure about it but more options are nice. Reminds me of a thruster from a flight stick.

I can feel the "Steam Controller is the next evolution!" posts incoming :eek:

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I played New Vegas vanilla for 143 hours and completed 100% of the achievements across multiple PC configs and I only encountered probably 10 scripting glitches- easily understandable with a game of that complexity and easily remedied by carefully paced manual saves and maybe 5ish crashes to desktop- again completely understandable with how far the engine is being pushed and easily remedied with carefully paced manual saves. Perhaps you installed some of the mods in an incorrect order or fashion?

It seems like you are trying to just push an agenda though to be honest.

I bought that Serious Sam steam bundle yesterday.

Like it normally went for $99 dollars. But this weekend it was on sale for 90% percent off. Like how could I not go for that? I remember trying to play Serious Sam 1 on my shitty COMPAQ decades ago and the performance sucked massive shit. How have the subsequent Serious Sam fared, quality wise?

I can't wait for the Red Faction collection to go down in price, during Summer sale hopefully. Red Faction 1 was the other FPS that had a shit performance on my old COMPAQ decades ago.
You still got robbed on the Serious Sam collection. Red Faction 1/2 aged terribly too.

Jawmuncher

I kind of want to play Remember Me if just for the graphic style. Is the combat system that bad as people say it is? (don't like button mashing)

If anything I would say give it a try and worse comes to worst play with a trainer on if combat becomes that much of a deal breaker.

gabbo

Hold on to your butts folks. Keyboard Gen.2 is coming!
Move Master (prototype)
German video but you can see some gameplay at 4:45
A very different type of controller. Folks are saying it works well on more than just FPS/TPS but also strategy games. The journalist says often how intuitive it feels.
I'm not sure about it but more options are nice. Reminds me of a thruster from a flight stick.

I can feel the "Steam Controller is the next evolution!" posts incoming :eek:

I'm sure I've seen controllers like that pop up before. They rarely take off :/.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I had no problems running it on High at about 40-50fps on a 7950.

I have a 280x. I just tried medium settings, and the weird thing is that I get the same stuttering/drops on those settings than on high, doesn't make a difference... Whenever I enter the Soviet Installation I get stuttering all the time.

Found out there was a hotfix driver (16.1) I didn't have installed yet, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

I got a question I hope someone could help me with.

I built my first gaming PC a few months back and, with certain games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Borderlands, they play quite sluggishly on the optimized settings. This is very noticeable in ETS2. If I used optimized settings, the frame rate drops ridiculously low. However, a game like Rocket League runs super smooth and looks great in the same situation. Why is this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

XShagrath

I have a 280x. I just tried medium settings, and the weird thing is that I get the same stuttering/drops on those settings than on high, doesn't make a difference... Whenever I enter the Soviet Installation I get stuttering all the time.

Found out there was a hotfix driver (16.1) I didn't have installed yet, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

Is Tomb Raider the only game that's stuttering? My friend has a FuryX that has/had a stuttering issue in most games. My card died last week, so he's going to let me borrow it until I can afford my own card. Maybe it won't stutter on my system. <crosses fingers>

Kiru

I got a question I hope someone could help me with.

I built my first gaming PC a few months back and, with certain games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Borderlands, they play quite sluggishly on the optimized settings. This is very noticeable in ETS2. If I used optimized settings, the frame rate drops ridiculously low. However, a game like Rocket League runs super smooth and looks great in the same situation. Why is this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Optimized settings ? Like Nvidia optimized or what ?

Monooboe

Alright, you guys were right about Stardew Valley, my first try I played 8 hours straight in one sitting haha. Thanks for encouraging me giving it a try!<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom