• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doom multiplayer modes revealed in new video

Team Deathmatch has been around for ages, and Clan Arena is basically the same thing but without pickups, respawns, or demon transformations: You fight until you die, and the last team standing wins. Another one you may have heard of, in one variant or another, is Domination, in which teams compete to claim and control up to three static locations on a map, earning points based on how long they're held. This twist in Doom is the Demon Rune, which will spawn randomly and be announced to all players. Demons are more powerful than soldiers (despite how poorly they seem to fare when actually confronted with one), and so teams will have to choose between defending their holdings and sending players to make a grab for the rune, to keep it out of enemy hands.

The Soul Harvest mode works much like Team Deathmatch, but points are earned by grabbing the Painkiller-esque souls of fallen enemies. Freeze Tag involves freezing enemies rather than killing them (and thawing out teammates, because the first team to be entirely frozen loses), and Warpath is like a King of the Hill mode, except that the hill is constantly moving around the map. Gameplay in all of these modes is further complicated by the Demon Rune, which will force players and teams to choose between risk and reward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_df-GlX0E

Lain

F00EB14F2CDB334D10528545C1BD4457BC5D5161

Rhaknar is that you?
He's not wearing a Marvel shirt, can't be RhakRhak.

context? there's def an overlap between double fine haters and ggers so without context is hard to tell if u came off as one or what :I

this post

he seemed to have cooled off a bit after but boy was he painting with broad strokes by the end of that post

I didn't even know that GGs had gone after Double Fine. I was just voicing my dislike of Part 2 of Broken Age and how i felt that BA as a whole being a disappointment will scare away other publishers and devs from doing high profile old school adventure games, especially since Double Fine had to squeak out part 2 with heavily reused assets and some laborious wire puzzles

Game dev reveals correlation between a translation and a region’s piracy

tinybuild-portuguese-640x244.png
While triple-A video game publishers tend to hide their sales data with great vengeance and furious anger, indies have become pretty liberal about their stats. You don't have to look very far and wide to find a smaller-fry game studio coughing up sales numbers or even piracy estimates.

In the case of Punch Club game maker TinyBuild, the development team went one further than usual on Monday with a news post that connected the dots between game sales, game piracy, and localization. What happens in a country-by-country basis after translating a game's text and officially launching and promoting it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if you add Portuguese to a game im LESS likely to buy it

Endruen

Heard someone was talkin' shit earlier. Fight me.
tGu4.gif

EDIT:
Wow if they used Denuvo they would have an extra 1.3 million sales.
Playing devil's advocate here, but games are maddly expensive in Brasil.
How long does a "temporary suspension" take on Uplay? I tried some of the Far Cry Primal codes but all of them already seem to have been used, and then I got automatically kicked from my account.

lol
Mine didn't last more than 10 minutes.

Red Hood

Banned
How long does a "temporary suspension" take on Uplay? I tried some of the Far Cry Primal codes but all of them already seem to have been used, and then I got automatically kicked from my account.

lol

Momentary

Banned
I better play and beat Neptunia U now while my wife is in Poland. I don't know what this game entails beyond being a beat'em up, but some of the screen shots would make her question me.

Eila

tGu4.gif

EDIT:
Playing devil's advocate here, but games are maddly expensive in Brasil.

Mine didn't last more than 10 minutes.

Eh, regional pricing and payment options on steam + nuveem should have made buying digital PC games easier than ever in Brazil.
I believe
or just hope
sales have actually improved and piracy rates lowered since they made those changes. Same with other regions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It was only a matter of time before they tried again. If nothing else, Valve is an incredibly stubborn corporation as a whole.

Paid mods aren't a bad thing. It's just a system that's very difficult to implement safely. I mean, one of the first paid custom game thingos for Dota 2 was almost entirely composed of stolen assets. Should Valve have known better? Perhaps. But it can't be expected to investigate the lineage of each and every asset. The best compromise would probably be to create a Greenlightesque system for paid mods, however even the occasional game makes it through Greenlight before someone notices something amiss.

Tellaerin

This is like a small Pixar movie. Blizzards CGi departmend really can't be beaten.

After the intro trailer and now this, I'd really like to see them produce a full length feature with these characters. This is on par with the stuff coming out of Hollywood now, IMO.

mrgone

This.
I also like how they consider language to be a "country-by-country" gauge, everyone knows all Spanish speakers live exclusively in Spain.

They're tracking via callbacks embedded in the game, so they're likely getting these locations by IP. Brazil and Portugal are charted separately, for example.

Salsa

I feel like im the only person who loved Quantum Conundrum

other than most of the humor

where's 2

been in the steam database for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom