• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

I'm about to buy Morrowind from GMG (€3,70 with discount code), can someone convince me not to?

Never played Morrowind before. I loved Skyrim, but the combat is awful. After that I tried Oblivion, the combat was even more awful, but on top of that it had nothing of the kind of atmosphere that appeals to me IMO, Cyrodiil was fantasy ugly and "generic" as shit, voice acting was terrible, didn't like how the camera zooms into their faces when talking to them, etc. Morrowind on the other hand looks like an amazingly atmospheric game, but damn I'm afraid of the combat which I assume is even worse than Oblivion.
If you didn't like the combat of Skyrim and Oblivion you probably wont like Morrowind, it's similar but entirely based on your stats/RNG so you might hit an enemy in the game but your stats and the RNG say you miss.

hesho

I wonder what the people expecting 4k at 60fps from the PS4.5 are smoking. Must be some good stuff.

i always believed that the ps5 would have a polaris which might make it possible but this ps4.5 is something else i would say. PR nowadays seems to be insanely powerful... or all the sheep just follows the leader.

Anno

Looks like the console content for This War of Mine is indeed coming to PC. Not sure if it was ever too in doubt, but it's nice to have some confirmation.

I really hope that if a new PS4 comes out it just upscales games to 4K and is basically just a revision for 4K Blu-Rays

I just dont see why they would fuck up a good thing with the PS4 with a 4.5 given that the thing is selling well enough as it is

Mivey

I wonder what the people expecting 4k at 60fps from the PS4.5 are smoking. Must be some good stuff.
Depends, if the thing is just a discrete GPU box that costs 399, it could let the whole system (PS4 + this GPU) easily get up to 4K at 30 FPS in demanding games and 4K @ 60FPS for simpler ones. Would of course mean the whole thing together would cost about 800$ which is not that bad for something that would have the performance of a middle-to-high end PC.

Hey man, it will have several games running at 4k!
(simple, indie ones)

I've seen several posts in response to detractors along the lines of "if you're fine with your current PS4 just stick to it, if you want your PS4 games at 4k and 60fps, get a 4.5".
It's crazy how much hype and expectations can spiral out of control.

I've seen several posts in response to detractors along the lines of "if you're fine with your current PS4 just stick to it, if you want your PS4 games at 4k and 60fps, get a 4.5".
It's crazy how much hype and expectations can spiral out of control.

Even the 980ti's of the world can't hang with 4K so good luck with that type of stupidly unrealistic expectations, sony bros

Dr Dogg

As long as the 'graphical arms race' is still in effect no console, PS4.5, PS6, 5-10 year lifespan or iterative yearly, is ever going to have a sizeable library let alone a majority of one that pushes rendering resolution and framerate over graphical complexity. 'Right we've just got the new consoles in, shall we target high resolution, high framerate but not be a step up graphicly from the past consoles or go for lots of wizz-bang-blimey-o'riely effects but?' 'Well turn the effect up to 11 of course, we'll just bang on about cinematic experiences and claim the signal output is the rendering resolution like we always do'.

I swear I turn my back and....free Forbidden planet:
http://www.freegamesinfo.net/index.php?p=/freebies
(I'm not linking directly to gleam because it looks like another multiples of 10k)

I still think we should have this talk

Why exactly legitimately purchased Days Under Custody are removed from accounts again?
Let's say, we go to the real store, buy an item, leave said store. Can it be taken from us? no, for no reason, even if the store sold stolen goods or haven't paid it's suppliers or any reason at all.
So what's up with Valve removing games from people accounts, it happened like 4-5 times already and nobody is even outraged, when we totally should be. At least in other cases money returned to people, while Days Under Custody is just removed, it's even worse and it'll happen again and again if Valve thinks that's no big deal.
Days Under custody: Something like Indiegala bundle ended 90 days ago so they returned unsold keys to publisher (Groupees). Publisher decided to invalidate said unsold keys by revoking them. Valve decided to revoke all keys from the batch instead. Mistake has since been reversed and it is unclear which side made the mistake, did Groupees tell Valve to do the wrong thing?

Now AXYOS seems more worrying as that is all keys sold or unsold from IndieGala are expired but no games have been revoked in this case. Developer is divorcing themselves of all responsibility (and honestly seems quite surprised people would buy the game and never activate it) and telling people to contact IndieGala if they have problems. Developer already deleted at least one thread about it.

The Division seems so boring, I hope these story missions start picking up. Doesn't even look as pretty as I was expecting. What should I put the sharpening at with the SMAA AA turned all the way to ultra?

Nordicus

I'm about to buy Morrowind from GMG (€3,70 with discount code), can someone convince me not to?

Never played Morrowind before. I loved Skyrim, but the combat is awful. After that I tried Oblivion, the combat was even more awful, but on top of that it had nothing of the kind of atmosphere that appeals to me IMO, Cyrodiil was fantasy ugly and "generic" as shit, voice acting was terrible, didn't like how the camera zooms into their faces when talking to them, etc. Morrowind on the other hand looks like an amazingly atmospheric game, but damn I'm afraid of the combat which I assume is even worse than Oblivion.
I can not convince you to skip Morrowind, if the atmosphere is that apparent to you. It is worth experiencing (visuals modded here)

The combat is a smaller nuisance in Morrowind than Oblivion and Skyrim despite its old age *imo*, because you can grow to be so strong offensively and there's very little level scaling so that fights don't take long at all, and dungeons aren't always 20min-2h slogs through enemy hordes. More varied lengths and enemy density

Just have a weapon skill as one of your major skills from the beginning, pump it up, then starting from roughly 70/100 your strikes will hit consistently. Then you can start playing the last game in the series without quest compass, but detailed direction in your journal instead

That's totally possible for every game..... as long as visual fidelity gets dialed back heavily. And that is the thing which should make people suspicious. Because that's not gonna happen. Traditionally on consoles it's not been "everything on max resolution and 60fps!" but rather in many cases "let's see how good we can make it look with a somewhat stable 30fps". 60fps with maximal resolution has not been the baseline for console games.

(I'm not linking directly to gleam because it looks like another multiples of 10k)

Days Under custody: Something like Indiegala bundle ended 90 days ago so they returned unsold keys to publisher (Groupees). Publisher decided to invalidate said unsold keys by revoking them. Valve decided to revoke all keys from the batch instead. Mistake has since been reversed and it is unclear which side made the mistake, did Groupees tell Valve to do the wrong thing?

Now AXYOS seems more worrying as that is all keys sold or unsold from IndieGala are expired but no games have been revoked in this case. Developer is divorcing themselves of all responsibility (and honestly seems quite surprised people would buy the game and never activate it) and telling people to contact IndieGala if they have problems. Developer already deleted at least one thread about it.

Thanks for the free game heads up.

The Division seems so boring, I hope these story missions start picking up. Doesn't even look as pretty as I was expecting. What should I put the sharpening at with the SMAA AA turned all the way to ultra?

It is kind of boring if you're playing alone on normal missions. If you haven't tried it you should boost up the difficulty to hard. It makes all the mobs elites and awards better XP/loot.

It is kind of boring if you're playing alone on normal missions. If you haven't tried it you should boost up the difficulty to hard. It makes all the mobs elites and awards better XP/loot.

Does the Division have any sort of matchmaking for the campaign? I don't mind playing solo but it would be fun to have randos to kill crazy people alongside me

damn, they're embarrassing destiny with all that matchmaking holy shit. Does it throw you into a MM search at the beginning of missions or is it some sort of pop in pop out thing like Journey?

I think Destiny does have the edge in the PvP department though. The Divison doesn't really have anything like the Crucible.

I haven't played Journey so I'm not really sure. You have the option to que MM at the beginning of each mission or you can run them solo.

You can que right from the map too, for either free roaming, dark zone or missions.

I think Destiny does have the edge in the PvP department though. The Divison doesn't really have anything like the Crucible.

from the videos i saw, the Dark Zone stuff looks kinda amazing. It's no crucible but i dont get the sense that that's what it's going for. It feels more like an arcadey Day Z thing instead, which is a novel approach to PVP really.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thank you for the bday gift, really aprecia----wait

aJ2jZgr.png

is that a dick? o_O

Adnor

Banned
Hope things get better for u mate :/

I plead guilty to initially reading 'RL' as Rocket League as well. We see what we want to see, I guess.

As someone who has also had a shite week with anxiety, hang in there, Adnor - it might have been debilitating this week, but in the cycle of things, it'll hopefully turn around and give you a break very soon.
Thanks <3
hey man Rocket League is never shit
You're right, I really should play some more Rocket League.

I've played most of the side stuff solo, only doing match making for Story missions in The Division. I haven't found it 'boring', but I'm at level 21 at the side missions are getting difficult. Things are getting bullet-spongy.

I still love the character progression anyway.

from the videos i saw, the Dark Zone stuff looks kinda amazing. It's no crucible but i dont get the sense that that's what it's going for. It feels more like an arcadey Day Z thing instead, which is a novel approach to PVP really.

Thats exactly what it feels like. Running around the dark zone alone can be scary like that if you have good loot on you that you don't want to lose.

If you are looking for a pure competitive pvp mode though, you won't find it in The Division. Not yet anyway.

Thats exactly what it feels like. Running around the dark zone alone can be scary like that if you have good loot on you that you don't want to lose.

If you are looking for a pure competitive pvp mode though, you won't find it in The Division. Not yet anyway.

I walked into the Dark Zone twice. I'm only DZ6, but as soon as I entered there was about 20 enemies that I had to engage to progress. It didn't go well.

Grief.exe

Apparently most players are just grinding PVE items for crafting materials in the Dark Zone, not really using it for PVP.

Everyone has a price that they will abandon their principals for.

One cent is that price.

Arthea

I'm more concerned how readily valve removes games if asked and I'm really not fond of someone I gifted the game getting message saying it was not paid for when it was, but as usual not only valve doesn't give a damn, I yet to see any stemagafer to give one. be it regional locks, or bullying, or personal data loss, or market, or choices or anything at all. I'm almost ready to believe I'm most entitled customer ever, only I know that's not even remotely true.

as for limited time keys, I had quite a few problems with those before, sometimes a store replaces those with new if there was no message that they are limited time only (happened several times to me, btw), so I wouldn't worry too much.
Now those that have limited message are lost. I happened not to notice said message couple of times, and alas no keys, one of those was mangagamer bundle, which is not a big loss except for one game.

Apparently most players are just grinding PVE items for crafting materials in the Dark Zone, not really using it for PVP.

It can vary, some servers are all out warzones.

I walked into the Dark Zone twice. I'm only DZ6, but as soon as I entered there was about 20 enemies that I had to engage to progress. It didn't go well.

NPC count and difficulty seems alot higher in the dark zone compared to the way it was in the beta. I left a safe house and was immediately caught in a crossfire between 2 groups of baddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom