• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Finished FF XIII-2 tonight. Enjoyed it right up to the end, but damn... that ending. I put in all that work for that? I know, "it's the journey, not the destination", but that felt like a swift kick in the junk after everything I did to get there.

Arthea

Finished FF XIII-2 tonight. Enjoyed it right up to the end, but damn... that ending. I put in all that work for that? I know, "it's the journey, not the destination", but that felt like a swift kick in the junk after everything I did to get there.

There are many endings there, you know that, don't you?
I also thought that true one was great, because I didn't expect that at all

Actually now when I think about it, I didn't expect any of those endings, and it was awesome.

edited: talking about FF, early 2016 is basically over, I wonder what's up with that FF9 steam release

Arthea

I thought all of the endings were pretty meh in 13-2. There's only so much you can do with time travel nonsense though.

none of those were meh, imo. I agree that time travel nonsense was nonsense, but some of those endings were really witty, some funny, some good and none just meh. Then again, it's all down to tastes and preferences.

unrelated edit: I can't believe that Caligula game got greenlit...
I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I still am.

another totally unrelated edit: There was that game where you can fly freely, I wanted to play it some, I can't remember a name for the life of me. Anybody knows which game I'm talking about?

Tizoc

no, still trying not to buy, but I wanted Slain, it appeals to me on aesthetic level, which is totally the wrong reason to buy a game, I admit.
And I will buy WotS3 at some point as I plan to play it, just not now.

talking about temptations, Tiny Guardians looks fun too

but it seems to be a tower defense game and I have those too many, most unplayed.

edited: btw, how's Day of the Tentacle Remastered?
Do u have ludens on ur block list or something :p

Arthea

Do u have ludens on ur block list or something :p

no I don't, but the thread was painful to read, so I might have missed some posts of essence.
lemme do search

edited: well, he doesn't know how good or bad it is too, on PC I mean
or I can't find a post you mean, what's possibility

Ludens

Banned

Nah, not Microsoft's fault here. Even the PS4 version has framepacing and framerate issues, the only "clean" From game I played is DS2 (it was 60 fps...on PC. Yeah, forgetting all the downgrade stuff which happened too), and still From needed to do another version to patch the durability bug, and they only fixed it because it happened on console too.
Every From game I tried had issues, from King's Field on PS1, passing for Demon/Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Don't forget Ninja Blade, there's a problem related to framerate during QTE and for a lot of people some situations are unwinnable.

Actually now when I think about it, I didn't expect any of those endings, and it was awesome.

edited: talking about FF, early 2016 is basically over, I wonder what's up with that FF9 steam release

I think we could get something next week, on 30th March, during the FFXV event. Maybe SE will do something like they did on the PS event a "and FFIX is available now on PC". This, or a release date for April/May. Anyway people are still testing the game. My guess is the port was hella bugged even for the low SE standards, and since they are still patching the iOS version, they are probably implement those bugfixes into the PC one (there was a gamebreaking bug related to a ring or something like that, in example). Also people expecting news for FFX/X-2 when IX is not even released...really, the port will happen, but after FFIX, probably SE will pass the job to the same team of FFIX, it seems they are actually putting some kind of effort into FFIX, at least is not Dotemu.
This, or simply SE wants to sell iOS version first so people will double dip later :p

I don't know what these weird nvidia shadow options are in the division but whatever they are my 980 hates them and they cost too many frames. Also, the game acts pretty stuttery when dropping frames, it's like the framerate version of nails on a chalkboard

Tellaerin

It was unexpected, yes. But I guess for me, surprise alone isn't necessarily a positive. A good surprise is, sure, but that felt more like, "You know all that stuff you did? Well, it's all irrelevant because fuck you." Kind of like the ending of the movie version of The Mist. (I know some people really liked how that movie ended too, for what I imagine are similar reasons.) Though I will say it was pretty ballsy of them to end it on that note.

I played around for a little while after finishing, closing gates and revisiting areas, and unlocked a couple of the other endings. (I was particularly happy I was able to get some payback on
Alyssa
, even if it was only indirectly. That was something I found pretty noteworthy - the character never said or did anything really overtly obnoxious or "evil", but still managed to project a bad vibe somehow. I liked how subtly that was played.)

I'll probably keep poking at it for a little longer and see about unlocking the rest of the endings before I shelf it.

Saty

Indie devs discuss the pros and cons of Steam refunds

We spoke to eight developers about their experience with Steam refunds and their feelings about the policy. All interviewed felt that the refunds were a positive thing, keeping buyers confident and allowing them to try out a new game with little risk. Even so, the consensus was that the current system has holes in it that can be abused, and these need to be addressed by a policy that is more complex than the one-size-fits-all return system in place now.

Refund numbers have accounted for between 1-7% of total sales for all of the developers contacted for this article, and a not insignificant portion of those had played through most or all of the game before returning it for a full refund.

Phinor

There's a small shitstorm brewing around Rollercoaster Tycoon World (as if there wasn't one before already). Developer/publisher have been absent from Steam forums (and other social media) for a long time now and the game up to this day still had a release date of early 2016. Some retailers had March 24 as a release date but no one really believed that.

However, this week physical stock arrived to retailers in Europe and copies have been shipped and sold to customers. Tiny little problem though, the game is not available for download from Steam and physical copies register on Steam. You can't play the game without Steam. In reality the expectation has been for a while now that Atari will delay the game at least few quarters because the beta late last year was a tech demo at best, not anything you could really play. Add in the fact that they have said absolutely nothing about the game and here we are.

Atari has now supposedly told retailers that the game has an official release date of March 31. A week from now. Anyone want to guess in what shape the game will be in a week from now considering how development has gone with this game so far? I remain hopeful because I want this game to be good just like every other game but seriously, I might be the only one left in the world.

Here's the official Youtube channel of the game, does this look like the channel of a game ready for retail release? https://www.youtube.com/user/RollerCoasterTycoon/videos

Here's an article about the issue in German, though the pictures you can look at even without speaking German: http://www.nat-games.de/2016/03/24/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-ab-sofort-im-handel-erhaeltlich-doch-atari-weiss-von-nichts/

Arthea

Arthea go play kero blaster
It is not long and has good difficulty

can't do, Stardew Valley has its claws deeply into my very soul
gosh how this game delivered, as much as Wild Season was disappointment
I still can't believe how good it is, only I wish my legendary bad luck didn't interfered that much, but that's not a game's fault.

It was unexpected, yes. But I guess for me, surprise alone isn't necessarily a positive. A good surprise is, sure, but that felt more like, "You know all that stuff you did? Well, it's all irrelevant because fuck you." Kind of like the ending of the movie version of The Mist. (I know some people really liked how that movie ended too, for what I imagine are similar reasons.) Though I will say it was pretty ballsy of them to end it on that note.

I played around for a little while after finishing, closing gates and revisiting areas, and unlocked a couple of the other endings. (I was particularly happy I was able to get some payback on
Alyssa
, even if it was only indirectly. That was something I found pretty noteworthy - the character never said or did anything really overtly obnoxious or "evil", but still managed to project a bad vibe somehow. I liked how subtly that was played.)

I'll probably keep poking at it for a little longer and see about unlocking the rest of the endings before I shelf it.

yeah, I thought so too, it was not safe route to take, but it makes sense if you think about it, as a game informs you many times what will happen if you do certain things.

have fun with those endings, some are kinda time consuming.

Tellaerin

Atari has now supposedly told retailers that the game has an official release date of March 31. A week from now. Anyone want to guess in what shape the game will be in a week from now considering how development has gone with this game so far? I remain hopeful because I want this game to be good just like every other game but seriously, I might be the only one left in the world.

My advice? Let it ride for about a year and then see what kind of shape it's in. By then it may have been patched to the point where it's playable.

Arthea

I think we could get something next week, on 30th March, during the FFXV event. Maybe SE will do something like they did on the PS event a "and FFIX is available now on PC". This, or a release date for April/May. Anyway people are still testing the game. My guess is the port was hella bugged even for the low SE standards, and since they are still patching the iOS version, they are probably implement those bugfixes into the PC one (there was a gamebreaking bug related to a ring or something like that, in example). Also people expecting news for FFX/X-2 when IX is not even released...really, the port will happen, but after FFIX, probably SE will pass the job to the same team of FFIX, it seems they are actually putting some kind of effort into FFIX, at least is not Dotemu.
This, or simply SE wants to sell iOS version first so people will double dip later :p

That makes sense, hopefully FF9 won't be a horrible port after all this time to work on it.

What the shit.

Went to enter new payment method for my sweet $10 Trackmania Turbo orders at Amazon because the old credit card wasn't valid anymore.

Three times, all orders cancelled one after another. RIP. Also the promised PC trial is nowhere to be found and they fucked up PS4 EU preorders.

wait a second, you mean new Trackmania for $10?! That was too good to be true, hence no deal for you!

what you have been up to? Any awesome games you finished in the time of absence?

derExperte

What the shit.

Went to enter new payment method for my sweet $10 Trackmania Turbo orders at Amazon because the old credit card wasn't valid anymore.

We cannot complete this order because our records show that you have reached the purchase limit for this product.

Three times, all orders cancelled one after another. RIP. Also the promised PC trial is nowhere to be found and they fucked up PS4 EU preorders.

Shouldn't have carried more than one order. They probably thought you were a scalper or something. Sucks.

Worked fine with $15 Hitman, three seems to be the general limit and I doubt there would have been a problem here without the payment issue.

What the shit.

Shouldn't have carried more than one order. They probably thought you were a scalper or something. Sucks.

Nah, not Microsoft's fault here. Even the PS4 version has framepacing and framerate issues, the only "clean" From game I played is DS2 (it was 60 fps...on PC. Yeah, forgetting all the downgrade stuff which happened too), and still From needed to do another version to patch the durability bug, and they only fixed it because it happened on console too.
Every From game I tried had issues, from King's Field on PS1, passing for Demon/Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Don't forget Ninja Blade, there's a problem related to framerate during QTE and for a lot of people some situations are unwinnable.

FFIX to be a pre-order bonus for FFXV Steam version, announced on the 30th for a same day and date release as consoles.
believe :")

Did a search for Eastbound and Down while we were recommending TV shows. Not there.

It's legitimately one of the best shows of all time, very neatly confined to its seasons, without leaving off open-ended. You can start the show and finish it.

Criminally underemphasized and overlooked as just being a comedy.

Uzzy

Seven days left, Capcom. Where's Alex? Where's the 8 person lobbies?

If the lobbies do get sorted, I'm going set up some weekly sessions for SteamGAF.

Vazduh

Did a search for Eastbound and Down while we were recommending TV shows. Not there.

It's legitimately one of the best shows of all time, very neatly confined to its seasons, without leaving off open-ended. You can start the show and finish it.

Criminally underemphasized and overlooked as just being a comedy.

Vice Principals look like a EaD sequel, looking forward to it.

Arthea

Not rhythmic are you :)
I should buy this game someday

the main reason why I haven't bought it yet, because of a word of mouth how hard it is, I'm not sure Ludens is bad, it just that Necrodancer could be this hard and I'm not sure I have patience for it. Are you?

Ludens

Banned
the main reason why I haven't bought it yet, because of a word of mouth how hard it is, I'm not sure Ludens is bad, it just that Necrodancer could be this hard and I'm not sure I have patience for it. Do you?

The game is good, but I think as rogue-like it's too much luck-based. I mean, sometimes I can clear two floors without getting a single hit, but the majority of times the first bunch of enemies kill me. The upgrades I bought using diamonds never shown for me, I rarely get some healing items and plus, as I wrote, I simply suck in rhythm-based games. I heard you can "cheat" the game by selecting a slow them as background music, but I can't really see the point on doing this.

Anno

Damn good stuff. A few tips.

Make your heir a general and throw him into every fight. You want to kill Enrique. He's a nightmare and can ruin things if he gets to the throne. So pray for his death.

Aragon will soon be yours. Don't bother fighting them.

Portugal could be yours later on. Don't bother fighting them.

Those English provinces above Navarra could be yours. Consider attacking if England is looking weak.

France similarly should be attacked if they're looking weak and you have good allies. Cutting them off from the sea is a great thing to do.

Focus on the colonial game and watch the wealth flow into your treasury. But try to expand at home too. Aim to get into Italy, perhaps. If you're lucky Naples will soon be yours. So linking your land up would be useful.

Africa has a ton of resources but won't give you a lot of benefits due to being overseas.

Thanks! And yeah I'm kinda following along with Quill's recent tutorial where he's playing Castile. Most strategy games I tend to not be overly warlike, so I'm looking forward to getting over to the Americas, getting my colony game underway and then trying to wrest control of as many trade nodes as I can and force them back to Seville. Hopefully reclaiming Iberia along the way.

Why is cosmetic loot a thing I just want drops that make me less die-able

(EDIT: Borderlands had this too)

It's just a way to customize your character. Since it's a MMO, it would kind of suck if everyone looked the same.

That being said, I love the clothing stuff....just can't find anything good.

derExperte

Uplay getting region locks? That's new, right?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/375900/discussions/0/392184522705804366/

- I bought the game on steam, came with an Asia actiation under the DLC
- I live in India, both Steam and Uplay accounts have my location set to India
- UPlay says the CD Key is locked to another region, but well, it shoudn't be :(

What a mess.

what you have been up to?

Lurking and weeping. In that order.

not to derail the thread into console framerate bullshit, especially when im actually really enjoying the game, but what the FUCK is up with Until Dawn's framerate o_O

Im not talking "console peasent 30 fps lol" shit here, im no expert but I would say that game goes into the 15 fps range at times, its super jarring. I assume thats a known issue with the game?

It is known but not talked about in Gaming unless you want to get called a master-racer. Not kidding. The other excuse is that it doesn't matter because of the cinematic gameplay, a movie that drops to 15fps regularly is fine too, right? Tho the bigger issue turned out to be that the second half isn't nearly as good as the first. Except if you reaaalllllyyyy love dark corridors and fake jumpscares every five minutes.

Stupid question, but for Until Dawn did you download the 11 gb patch?

At least I did.

Aaron D.

How?
I'm at 38 hours, started Act III an hour or so ago, did pretty much everything in Act I and II (except for the MegaDungeon).
And I've even had my own fair share of reloads/total party wipes... So... how?

That's a damn good question.

I don't know, I read a lot? No seriously, I read like every new book I come across. And all the Kickstarter-backer souls stories. Stuff like that. Oh, and RTWP combat. Yeah, I pause. A LOT. :p

I'm notorious for being slow at games anyway. I can usually confidently add, say 25% or more to the average game-time completion on my runs. For example, most people talk about finishing Gone Home in under 2 hours. Maybe 2.5 at the far end. I think my first time through the game was just shy of 5 hours. I just love to dote over environments.

I've also always been a virtual tourist. Ever since the early days. Transitioning from Atari 2600 to NES/SNES, PSX and beyond has a way of making you stop and soak in the sights around every corner, marveling at how the new looks so much more stunning than the old. It's always amazed me to see the progression of visual rendering through generational tech advancements.

Honestly, when I watch random Let's Plays and see people barreling through game maps on their first run, it's kind of distressing. I'm like, "You're missing everything!" as they race from one objective to the next without even stopping to catch their breath and take everything in. Seems like they miss a lot of hard work & detail the devs poured into environmental design. Mind you, I don't literally crawl through levels. It's more of a casual stroll rather than an exploding running pace.

Though on the flip side it has occurred to me that it might be nice to have that play-style myself, experiencing the game more organically. To experience it as a whole space rather than individual pieces or parts that I scrutinize over.

So yeah, I figure if I stick with Pillars as my primary game in rotation, I'll finish the base game and White March 1 & 2 by some time in early 2017!

Ludens

Banned
Stupid question, but for Until Dawn did you download the 11 gb patch? A friend lent me the game under christmas, without the patch performances were just horrible, after the patch is was ok. Still the framerate is very poor, but the 1080p/60 fps mantra died pretty quickly on console, now is "Fuck this, the game is from XXXX so I'll take it on D1, they deserve my money". Hopefully Ps4k will fix this.

Regarding SFV, I bet the patch will be delayed.

I asked in the Division PC performance thread but ill ask here too: anyone know the answer to stopping the division from being a stutter mess when it drops below 60 fps or is the only solution to lower settings? I've never had this happen in a game, where the game just becomes headache inducing because it's stuttering like a broken lawn sprinkler when it's just a tad bit below 60.

Stupid question, but for Until Dawn did you download the 11 gb patch? A friend lent me the game under christmas, without the patch performances were just horrible, after the patch is was ok. Still the framerate is very poor, but the 1090p/60 fps mantra died pretty quickly on console, now is "Fuck this, the game is from XXXX so I'll take it on D1, they deserve my money". Hopefully Ps4k will fix this.

AFAIK the game has plenty of moments where it's below 30 fps. I wouldn't get too hung up on it, it's an adventure game really. It doesn't get in the way of the QTEs or anything

Anno

Wait. Total War Warhammer only has the Chaos faction if you pre-order!? What the fudge?

I think it's paid DLC that you just get for free if you do preorder. Not much better I guess, but a bit. And the game still looks like it has such potential. I want to dislike it for that but I'll probably cave and get it anyway just to watch giant spiders charge dwarves cannon lines.

Phinor

Wait. Total War Warhammer only has the Chaos faction if you pre-order!? What the fudge?

Only if you pre-order at selected retailers/stores. Not every store is even given the pre-order bonus to offer to customers. But yes, you can buy the DLC later on as well. Probably for the low cost of $10-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom