• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

That's a damn good question.

I don't know, I read a lot? No seriously, I read like every new book I come across. And all the Kickstarter-backer souls stories. Stuff like that. Oh, and RTWP combat. Yeah, I pause. A LOT. :p

I'm notorious for being slow at games anyway. I can usually confidently add, say 25% or more to the average game-time completion on my runs. For example, most people talk about finishing Gone Home in under 2 hours. Maybe 2.5 at the far end. I think my first time through the game was just shy of 5 hours. I just love to dote over environments.

I've also always been a virtual tourist. Ever since the early days. Transitioning from Atari 2600 to NES/SNES, PSX and beyond has a way of making you stop and soak in the sights around every corner, marveling at how the new looks so much more stunning than the old. It's always amazed me to see the progression of visual rendering through generational tech advancements.

Honestly, when I watch random Let's Plays and see people barreling through game maps on their first run, it's kind of distressing. I'm like, "You're missing everything!" as they race from one objective to the next without even stopping to catch their breath and take everything in. Seems like they miss a lot of hard work & detail the devs poured into environmental design. Mind you, I don't literally crawl through levels. It's more of a casual stroll rather than an exploding running pace.

Though on the flip side it has occurred to me that it might be nice to have that play-style myself, experiencing the game more organically. To experience it as a whole space rather than individual pieces or parts that I scrutinize over.

So yeah, I figure if I stick with Pillars as my primary game in rotation, I'll finish the base game and White March 1 & 2 by some time in early 2017!
you shouldn't overthink it, that's Knurek you are talking with, he's notoriously fast at any game as far as I can remember, like 100+ games finished in a year is nothing for him.
And his most common post is what took you so long, let's be frank here.

and it is true, people play games very differently. If I really like a game, I take my sweet time with it too. I don't even rush through games I don't like, I just drop them, no time to waste, life is short and all that stuff.

well, as we are being frank I sometimes drop games I like too, because of a new shiny game I acquired and putting a game away for a time results in never getting back to it more and more often. My excuse is too many games too little time.

Getting back to PoE talk, I'm yet to play it (other games and my PC problems interfered with it), but I'm kinda worried about it being not exactly what I expected, less of BG and more of IwD. That may end up my time with this game being very short indeed.

Anno

Getting back to PoE talk, I'm yet to play it (other games and my PC problems interfered with it), but I'm kinda worried about it being not exactly what I expected, less of BG and more of IwD. That may end up my time with this game being very short indeed.

Anything in particular giving you that worry? And do you just mean in terms of the amount of combat?

Binding of Isaac Creator Cancels Mew-Genics Development
Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac creator Edmund McMillen has confirmed that Mew-Genics, a game originally announced in 2012, has been put on hold indefinitely.
"I'm unsure of its future but there is a chance we will attempt to revamp it in a few years with a new design of mine that will push it in a new direction that will hopefully make it more exciting for both of us to work on," he said. "But sadly till then it's not gunna happen."

Naarmight

Wait. Total War Warhammer only has the Chaos faction if you pre-order!? What the fudge?

It is not Chaos, but Chaos Warriors, I guess the full Chaos faction will be in the next game. Bit strange they chose Vampires over Chaos for the first game, unless they wanted them as the big draw for the Chaos edition.

Anno

yeah, amount of combat mostly

Hmmmm. I haven't played BG in awhile, but I feel like this is probably a middle ground between it and IWD in terms of combat frequency. The good news is that the combat is so much better that it never really botherd me. Especially on higher difficulties. And none of the ultra slow start that 2ED pushed onto BG, especially for per-rest casters.

Kaleinc

Banned
The game is good, but I think as rogue-like it's too much luck-based. I mean, sometimes I can clear two floors without getting a single hit, but the majority of times the first bunch of enemies kill me. The upgrades I bought using diamonds never shown for me, I rarely get some healing items and plus, as I wrote, I simply suck in rhythm-based games. I heard you can "cheat" the game by selecting a slow them as background music, but I can't really see the point on doing this.
I wasted more than 6 hours to clear zone 1 which only happened after purchasing permanent health upgrades and unlocking boss training rooms wtih diamonds. And I find item controls to be counter intuitive. Rather overrated game.

Arthea

steamgaf lied to me again!
when I praised only genetics the game on steam (then it was only one, not sure about now anymore, too many games), I was told that Mew-Genics will be that game but it never will come to be...

Hmmmm. I haven't played BG in awhile, but I feel like this is probably a middle ground between it and IWD in terms of combat frequency. The good news is that the combat is so much better that it never really botherd me. Especially on higher difficulties. And none of the ultra slow start that 2ED pushed onto BG, especially for per-rest casters.

That somewhat reassuring, thanks

that's ... hilarious,
poor guy

Aaron D.

Yeah, I have't played BG since '98/'99, so my memory is pretty fuzzy as well.

I do know that Pillars pulled a lot of trash mobs out of the game due to player feedback. There's also no respawning enemies (did they respawn in BG?).

Might be worth looking into PoE during a sale or something. It's quite an incredible evolution of the classic IE experience, blending the familiar with modern ease of use & presentational leaps.

e90Mark

There's a small shitstorm brewing around Rollercoaster Tycoon World (as if there wasn't one before already). Developer/publisher have been absent from Steam forums (and other social media) for a long time now and the game up to this day still had a release date of early 2016. Some retailers had March 24 as a release date but no one really believed that.

However, this week physical stock arrived to retailers in Europe and copies have been shipped and sold to customers. Tiny little problem though, the game is not available for download from Steam and physical copies register on Steam. You can't play the game without Steam. In reality the expectation has been for a while now that Atari will delay the game at least few quarters because the beta late last year was a tech demo at best, not anything you could really play. Add in the fact that they have said absolutely nothing about the game and here we are.

Atari has now supposedly told retailers that the game has an official release date of March 31. A week from now. Anyone want to guess in what shape the game will be in a week from now considering how development has gone with this game so far? I remain hopeful because I want this game to be good just like every other game but seriously, I might be the only one left in the world.

Here's the official Youtube channel of the game, does this look like the channel of a game ready for retail release? https://www.youtube.com/user/RollerCoasterTycoon/videos

Here's an article about the issue in German, though the pictures you can look at even without speaking German: http://www.nat-games.de/2016/03/24/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-ab-sofort-im-handel-erhaeltlich-doch-atari-weiss-von-nichts/

I literally just got my key for this game this morning. I stopped checking forums etc, because they're nothing more than "when is this game coming out?" posts.

I was able to register my key to my Steam account, but as you said, I cannot download it yet.

At the end of the day, I won't be too mad if the game is a mess, as I bought the game heavily discounted and have turned my attention to Planet Coaster.

Arthea

Yeah, I have't played BG since '98/'99, so my memory is pretty fuzzy as well.

I do know that Pillars pulled a lot of trash mobs out of the game due to player feedback. There's also no respawning enemies (did they respawn in BG?).

Might be worth looking into PoE during a sale or something. It's quite an incredible evolution of the classic IE experience, blending the familiar with modern ease of use & presentational leaps.

yeah, they respawn in BG, sometimes way too fast, that was my main problem with a game back then.

Oh no, I already have it, preodered even and I plan to play it.

Adry9

Looks like they killed the rest of those Division keys already. Kind of surprised, they let Far Cry slide like a week.

Dr.-Who.gif

Looks like they killed the rest of those Division keys already. Kind of surprised, they let Far Cry slide like a week.

I'm guessing that the Division sold a lot more .01 keys between it actually appearing to be good and not needing a newegg business acct to buy it. Must have set off some alarms over there.

I bought two keys, i was going to give one to my brother but the idiot didn't get back to me on time. Blew a whole penny with nothing to show for it : /

Arthea

Yeah. But usually I play with a controller.

oh, you are one of those!
as if you guys are multiplying or something!

how can anybody prefer a controller over good mouse/kb controls, especially mouse, I'll never understand, no amount of explaining about couches and how controller is a gaming device will change that. It just so much faster, tunable, more responsive and in general more convenient.
I can play games made for controller with one just fine, I just don't understand controller only folks at all.

Steam controller, brah. That trackpad and/or gyro shooting makes most shooty games a million times better than using two joysticks

plus, I hang just fine even when using a standard pad with the average shooter. I was wrecking shit back when Titanfall was a thing.

maybe I'll buy it one day, just to see what's the fuss about it, but not anytime soon.

how can anybody prefer a controller over good mouse/kb controls, especially mouse, I'll never understand, no amount of explaining about couches and how controller is a gaming device will change that. It just so much faster, tunable, more responsive and in general more convenient.
I can play games made for controller with one just fine, I just don't understand controller only folks at all.

Steam controller, brah. That trackpad and/or gyro shooting makes most shooty games a million times better than using two joysticks

plus, I hang just fine even when using a standard pad with the average shooter. I was wrecking shit back when Titanfall was a thing.

Well thats it I'm done with uplays client, its not even worth using for a 1c game

* Download speed ranges from 100kb/s - 200kb/s
* Downloads randomly stop as the server has decided it doesnt want to leave me download the game
* If the download gets interrupted it might go back 2-3gb for the lols
* I couldnt even login for a hour yesterday as the server was down completely

And to top it all off I went to ubisoft support to start a ticket, once you input a question you get to look at a list of similar issues and click one of 2 answers my problem was solved or sumbit my question, but guess what the summit my question button doesnt work

Just wow ubisoft just wow

r3n4ud

I had two Division keys to Modbot, but his father had to delay fixing his son.

And now they're useless. The keys that is. Dammit stump.

Annubis

I received a work recognition letter not long ago and it came with a 50$ pre-paid credit card.
I'm going to have fun and see how many games I can buy with it.
Most of the stuff will have to wait for the next sale though.

Current:
One Way Heroics Plus -3.11$

Deques

I had two Division keys to Modbot, but his father had to delay fixing his son.

And now they're useless. The keys that is. Dammit stump.

Unredeemed keys are now useless?

I received a work recognition letter not long ago and it came with a 50$ pre-paid credit card.
I'm going to have fun and see how many games I can buy with it.
Most of the stuff will have to wait for the next sale though.

Current:
One Way Heroics Plus -3.11$

If you got coupon for Van Helsing 3 you should go with it. and if you got part 1 and 2 you can get the Final Cut version for free :)

cyba89

I'm not a controller-only folk. But sidescrollers with a keyboard.... ugh.
And keyboard+mouse is hella impractical in my comfy chair in front of my TV.

Also: Some controller-only folks are also likely using their PCs as a HTPC or have it set up similarly to a console, where it's in the living room or in the bed room attached to a TV and not set up at a desk with a monitor and keyboard and such in front of them.

The Steam Controller solves a lot of the issues that come with that though i also have a little mini bluetooth keyboard with a tiny trackpad on it in case shit gets cray.

Nvidia doesn't give you Uplay keys, they make you sign in through Uplay now and they add the game that way.

For the division, they just emailed me my Uplay key so i dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom