• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think it's paid DLC that you just get for free if you do preorder. Not much better I guess, but a bit. And the game still looks like it has such potential. I want to dislike it for that but I'll probably cave and get it anyway just to watch giant spiders charge dwarves cannon lines.

Game looks brilliant. If it's paid DLC I guess it isn't as bad. I'd pre-order if I could find it cheap in pounds, but no luck atm.

neoemonk

For those of you that have signed up to Humble Monthly, what do you think so far? It looks like you get to keep the games forever, which surprised me as I thought it was like PlayStation Plus.

For those of you that have signed up to Humble Monthly, what do you think so far? It looks like you get to keep the games forever, which surprised me as I thought it was like PlayStation Plus.
I think they are meant as high-value bundles you pay in advance. In that sense it makes only sense for them to behave like regular bundles and you keeping them forever.

Anno

I've been happy so far (2 months). It seems like a decent bet if you're interested in a wide variety of games and don't already have a lot of them.

Knurek

That's a damn good question.

I don't know, I read a lot? No seriously, I read like every new book I come across. And all the Kickstarter-backer souls stories. Stuff like that. Oh, and RTWP combat. Yeah, I pause. A LOT. :p

Yeah, I try to read everything as well. High point of the game for me. I don't care much for PoE combat, so I've been playing on Normal/Easy, which doesn't require as much of micromanaging, so my encounters generally resolve quickly. Might be as to why there's so much discrepancy between us.
(I also didn't do the three exclusive paths in the Act II, just single mission for each faction and then decided to go with the Knights for the final one)

yeah, amount of combat mostly

There's a lot of combat, way to much for my liking. But you can always put the game on Easy or Story Mode difficulties.
IMO you won't be losing that much.
Please don't sick Berath on me, Durante-sempai

you shouldn't overthink it, that's Knurek you are talking with, he's notoriously fast at any game as far as I can remember, like 100+ games finished in a year is nothing for him.

Hey, hey, I don't tend to rush through games (as evident by my TitS SC playtime). I just devour them.

the best thing about good Humble Monthly bundles is when people end up getting a key for a game they already own so you can pick up something from the bundle for dirt cheap.

That's how i managed to get Wasteland 2 for a fiver.

So keep them coming

Tizoc

Now this is a decent bundle if you don't mind getting it for $20
https://groupees.com/archiecomics

Contains
Jughead Vol. 1
Megaman Vol. 1
Sonic Boom Vol. 1 (If you like more comical comics def. give ti a chance)
Black Hood Vol. 1
Some issues of Chilling Tales of Sabrina (It's around 6 issues IIRC, but this book is DARK)
Archie Vol. 1

Afterlife with Archie is freakin' good too.

Jadax

Now this is a decent bundle if you don't mind getting it for $20
https://groupees.com/archiecomics

Contains
Jughead Vol. 1
Megaman Vol. 1
Sonic Boom Vol. 1 (If you like more comical comics def. give ti a chance)
Black Hood Vol. 1
Some issues of Chilling Tales of Sabrina (It's around 6 issues IIRC, but this book is DARK)
Archie Vol. 1

Afterlife with Archie is freakin' good too.

The fuck did they do to the Archie characters....these are not the ones I remember at all. Guess I'm just old school.

Knurek

Microsoft terminates its Tay AI chatbot after she turns into a Nazi

Microsoft has been forced to dunk Tay, its millennial-mimicking chatbot, into a vat of molten steel. The company has terminated her after the bot started tweeting abuse at people and went full neo-Nazi, declaring that "Hitler was right I hate the jews."
terminator-2-robot.gif

It begins. Stay safe SteamGAF.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You get 10% off coupons from the main humble bundle.
The monthly bundles also gives you 10% coupons that you can use in the Humble Store
Oh, I'm very tempted to sign up, especially since I could replay South Park. Just worried my laptop won't be able to run games.

the best thing about good Humble Monthly bundles is when people end up getting a key for a game they already own so you can pick up something from the bundle for dirt cheap.

That's how i managed to get Wasteland 2 for a fiver.

So keep them coming

Is Wasteland good? Got it for XB1, played it for an hour but its quite difficult.

Mivey

Is Wasteland good? Got it for XB1, played it for an hour but its quite difficult.
The default party is crap, this video is a useful frame of reference. (Applies to all version of the game, I would think) Except one thing: Never use shotguns in this game, they are worthless.
As to quality: Between Fallout 1 and 2. Not as good as 2, but the actual combat I found to be a lot more enjoyable. The area that is most lacking is the story, though it is mostly pacing, the game ends just when it is starting to open up. The Arizona part should have been a short prologue, not a 30 hour prologue.

Vlad

Well, uninstalled Crypt of Necrodancer. 11 hours and I can't beat Zone 1, I suck and that's it.

the main reason why I haven't bought it yet, because of a word of mouth how hard it is, I'm not sure Ludens is bad, it just that Necrodancer could be this hard and I'm not sure I have patience for it. Are you?

The game is good, but I think as rogue-like it's too much luck-based. I mean, sometimes I can clear two floors without getting a single hit, but the majority of times the first bunch of enemies kill me. The upgrades I bought using diamonds never shown for me, I rarely get some healing items and plus, as I wrote, I simply suck in rhythm-based games. I heard you can "cheat" the game by selecting a slow them as background music, but I can't really see the point on doing this.

As far as rhythm-based issues goes, that's just something that takes a lot of practice. It might help to try to tap along to random songs you hear while driving, just to get used to doing something on a beat.

As for the rest of the game, none of it is really "luck-based", as almost every enemy has a set pattern. The only enemies that move randomly are the bats, and since all of them but the red ones only move every other beat, it's not too hard to work out a system for beating them.

If you're dying on the "first group of enemies", then you're doing something very, very wrong, and that's not at all luck-based. Like the tutorial says, watch what the enemies do. Most of them, especially the early ones, have very obvious signs that indicate when they're about to attack. Skeletons, for example, move every other beat (and they raise their hands before they're about to move. So, if there's one space between you and a skeleton, and his hands are up, don't move closer to him. There are some enemies that move every beat (the spirits, for example), and there are times where you're a space away from them, with no way to close the gap. What you can do here is just head towards a wall and dig a block. Digging a block will still count as doing "something" and allow you to keep your multiplier, and will allow the enemy to move a step closer, letting you attack them on the next beat.

As far as items go, the stuff you buy with diamonds aren't "upgrades", but instead just unlock items that will appear in the shops/chests/etc. Also, make sure to destroy all the crates and barrels that you can. They've often got good stuff in them. If you're currently doing more than 3 damage per hit, you can just attack them, otherwise you can use a bomb or push them onto a spike trap. You can also bomb the various shrines to get items from them.

Tizoc

The fuck did they do to the Archie characters....these are not the ones I remember at all. Guess I'm just old school.

lol that's Fiona Staples' art style. If you ask comicgaf, all you will hear is praise. If you could def. give it a chance you may end up liking it.

Nzyme32

Which should I go through first?

Divinity Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun

Looking to properly stick with one of these and finish it. I was playing Planescape but I stopped for a while and now feel I'd have to start over.. which I just don't wt to do right now

Ludens

Banned

Divinity Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun

Looking to properly stick with one of these and finish it. I was playing Planescape but I stopped for a while and now feel I'd have to start over.. which I just don't wt to do right now
Finish Planescape, is the best of the bunch.

Divinity Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun

Shadowrun is shorter.

Divinity Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun

Shadowrun Returns is the shortest, How Long to Beat says 12-ish hours long. Divinity is the longest at 70-ish.

Saty

Steamspy celebrating a year. Unlimited access this weekend for all registered users. You can see data for games a year back.

Already saved the data for each of the months available.

Anno

Divinity Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun

Probably Shadowrun, just because they're shorter. Play both Dragonfall and Hong Kong at the least. After that I'd say Pillars as a change of pace in combat, then D:OS.

Steamspy celebrating a year. Unlimited access this weekend for all registered users. You can see data for games a year back.

Already saved the data for each of the months available.

Awesome! Now I can fill in a couple gaps I have with a handful of games I track.

Tenrius

Divinity Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun

Pillars is the best game out of this three, just don't expect it to be a good as Planescape.

Nzyme32

Finish Planescape, is the best of the bunch.

Shadowrun is shorter.

Shadowrun Returns is the shortest, How Long to Beat says 12-ish hours long. Divinity is the longest at 70-ish.

Probably Shadowrun, just because they're shorter. Play both Dragonfall and Hong Kong at the least. After that I'd say Pillars as a change of pace in combat, then D:OS.

Pillars is the best game out of this three, just don't expect it to be a good as Planescape.

Cheers guys. I think I'll go through Shadowrun and then Pillars. Will return to Planescape from scratch after that

Guys, I have a question about the Big Picture Mode.

How do I get back to it when in a game ? I have an Xbox One controller and the Xbox button doesn't do anything. Is it even possible?

Guys, I have a question about the Big Picture Mode.

How do I get back to it when in a game ? I have an Xbox One controller and the Xbox button doesn't do anything. Is it even possible?

you used to be able to do it pre-windows 10 by just hitting the guide button BUT win10 broke that feature.

Still works on the Steam Controller, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom