• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

No it's been happening. Microsoft has been force installing Windows 10 and apps recently. Its only happening to a few people and it seems like they are testing out how tolerant people are to automatic installs.

Well the force installs of Win10 are for people who have automatic updates still on for older versions of windows. Which, as far as I'm concerned, you've pretty much got coming in that case. If someone is making the conscious decision to not upgrade, they need to be proactive about it. But my Win10 Pro upgrade install didn't come with any bloatware that I've found, nor has anything new been installed recently. Doesn't surprise me it would happen though, especially on the home version.

a bit off topic but Lara Croft Go is $1 on the apple store right now. Figured there are some TR fans in here that would be interested

It's also in the current android humble bundle with a ton of other great games. https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

Eila

Those are some crap sales from Ubi. I'd buy the first two Assassins Creed games 75% off, as I recently got Brotherhood. But it seems like few publishers match historic sale prices nowadays.

Those are some crap sales from Ubi. I'd buy the first two Assassins Creed games 75% off, as I recently got Brotherhood. But it seems like few publishers match historic sale prices nowadays.

There's no need to cut prices aggressively now that Steam/PC gaming has a big enough base and there isn't as big a need to draw new users. So, 75% has basically become the new 90% and if we ever see cuts deeper than that it feels like a miracle these days.

Salsa

Ubi caught up with brazilian prices

watch doge is the same

far cry 4 is like only 4 bucks less

i'd buy FC4 for a bit cheaper honestly. I think it was even cheaper before

impact

Banned
635e32e5d1.jpg

Couldn't resist

anime is haram

Lomax

Well, it seems to be targeting their more recent titles rather than the catalog stuff. ACIV is 75% off, which doesn't always happen though. I'm sure in the summer sale the old stuff will be 75% off again just like it basically always is. And their "Prime" package only includes the more recent games, not the full catalogs.

You also need to look at more than just the percent. Ubi pretty consistently reduces their base prices over time too. ACIV is now down to $30, so 75% off is $7.50 now instead of $12.50. (But ACIV Gold is still $60 base). Watch_Dogs may be "only" 60% off, but at a base price of $30 (dropped from $40 last month) that's still lower than 75% off $60 would be and the lowest it's ever been on Steam.

Salsa

wasnt expecting this and it kinda makes me happy

8aEvUyB.png

love trackmania

for some reason after delays and all I was sure people wouldnt give a shit about turbo

edit:

LpykAm3.png

UBI STRIKES AGAIN

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Two new store pages!

Enjoyed these games on the Wii, but 10 bucks for an eight year old port is a bit rich. They should have either bundled both games for 10 or charged 5 for each.

Looking forward to picking it up on sale anyway. The game should be really good on the Steam Controller.

kagamin

wasnt expecting this and it kinda makes me happy

8aEvUyB.png

love trackmania

for some reason after delays and all I was sure people wouldnt give a shit about turbo

edit:

LpykAm3.png

UBI STRIKES AGAIN

The fact that the new game lacks tons of the options that were in previous games is a bad sign.

Eternia

There's no need to cut prices aggressively now that Steam/PC gaming has a big enough base and there isn't as big a need to draw new users. So, 75% has basically become the new 90% and if we ever see cuts deeper than that it feels like a miracle these days.
Was 90% ever a common discount especially for AAA publishers? I usually only see that from smaller publishers/developers.

Sober

Kinda tempted to pick up Syndicate now. 60 bucks for everything.

Unity though I did not really enjoy, didn't even bother going back for the collectibles (because some would stay hidden until you just got close enough, nah thanks) and the rift missions were cool but freaked the fuck out of my video card and the only solution was to roll back my drivers.

Was 90% ever a common discount especially for AAA publishers? I usually only see that from smaller publishers/developers.

I picked up Alpha Protocol for $2 once directly from steam, I got telltale's Monkey Island season for $5 in a daily deal.

I mean these are a couple of examples but i can't see prices and deals like that happening again, at least not directly on steam.

Lomax

I picked up Alpha Protocol for $2 once directly from steam, I got telltale's Monkey Island season for $5 in a daily deal.

I mean these are a couple of examples but i can't see prices and deals like that happening again, at least not directly on steam.

That Alpha Protocol deal was a super rare exception, and of course now it's been bundled several times anyway. 90% off is more common now than it ever was, price mistakes not withstanding.

That Alpha Protocol deal was a super rare exception, and of course now it's been bundled several times anyway. 90% off is more common now than it ever was, price mistakes not withstanding.

not on AAA games it isn't. Capcom and Ubisoft both seem to be more weary of protecting their prices these days with their releases than before, where you could pretty much guarantee that last year's Assassin's Creed game would be $5-$7.50 shortly before the next year's came out as an example

That shit isn't happening anymore. If you want to argue that there are more 90% sales now then, sure, but that's because there a shit ton more games on the store than before too.

Corpekata

Banned
Games like Trackmania have a bit of a different audience than the core gamer. They're like the train games, there's a large niche that plays like them and only them.

mp1990

Banned
Well, uninstalled Crypt of Necrodancer. 11 hours and I can't beat Zone 1, I suck and that's it.

I'd like to tell you to not quit, because after 15 hours, Crypt of the Necrodancer has turned into one of my favorite experiences with video games, but I doubt you'll manage to take any enjoyment from the upcoming areas. The difficult goes up like there was no tomorrow, forcing you to juggle between absurd amounts of enemies patterns, while having to deal with even more traps, the musics get faster and faster, and the luck factor becomes more decisive as time goes by. I'm currently on Zone 4, and this game is MERCILESS; the first three floors alone got me on the verge of insanity, and the final boss battles (yes, BATTLES), almost made me quit for good. I still haven't beat it, even though I got pretty close to doing so on my first try, but honestly I'm not sure if i'll manage to pull it off.

One things I've noticed while playing both CotN and Downwell is that, both rely heavily on reflexes and muscle memory, giving little space to think, but they also require the player to be constantly sharpening their skills, or else they won't manage to do any significant progress. That's a really weird gameplay cycle, as it's almost impossible to realize the two tasks at the same time.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I got all the Batman Arkham games for 5 bucks, TR2013 and Skyrim have both been around 5 bucks, the Fallout games too, Bioshock, etc. And the champ of discounts, Alan Wake (which never seems to drop below 10 bucks now for some reason).

The games usually drop from 60 to 20, then go 75% from 20.

edit: I was gonna mention Asscreed too, but forgot -they used to be 5 buck chumps famously as well.

Nabs

Enjoyed these games on the Wii, but 10 bucks for an eight year old port is a bit rich. They should have either bundled both games for 10 or charged 5 for each.

Looking forward to picking it up on sale anyway. The game should be really good on the Steam Controller.

I called that shit. All we need now is a good port of Mega Man 9.

Dinjoralo

Two new store pages!

Woah, what? Wow, those were really old Wiiware games, nice to see them on Steam. Fifteen bucks for the whole lot is a bit much, especially since I don't remember the games being very long. :/ Who knows, maybe they'll continue the series since I'm pretty sure it ended on a cliffhanger.

Tizoc

For what it is Trackmania Turbo is fine if you got a PS4 mainly because it has 4 player local splitscreen
THe fact that that is a major feature in this current gen should tell you everything you need to know about what is wrong with it.

Ubisoft's biggest mistake is making mediocre games that all follow a similar formula and thus make people bored of them. Along with performance/technical issues and uplay makes all of their games mixed.

I enjoyed Far cry 3 and assassins greed but using the same formula over and over just makes me bored of them even more when there are other issues with the games.

Ludens

Banned
I started Hitman Codename 47. First the game won't boot, I managed to find the launcher in the folder and solved that issue. Than the game told me he couldn't find Steam, so I needed to manually copy/past Steam.dll into the folder.
I booted the game and it wasn't in italian, despite I chose that language from the installer. After 4 tries, the game decided to accept my choice. Finally I'm in-game, rebinded all controls but for some strange reasons shift doesn't work to run.

The last time I tried to play this game I almost died for motion sickness. Let's see how this will end.

Vlad

I'd like to tell you to not quit, because after 15 hours, Crypt of the Necrodancer has turned into one of my favorite experiences with video games, but I doubt you'll manage to take any enjoyment from the upcoming areas. The difficult goes up like there was no tomorrow, forcing you to juggle between absurd amounts of enemies patterns, while having to deal with even more traps, the musics get faster and faster, and the luck factor becomes more decisive as time goes by. I'm currently on Zone 4, and this game is MERCILESS; the first three floors alone got me on the verge of insanity, and the final boss battles (yes, BATTLES), almost made me quit for good. I still haven't beat it, even though I got pretty close to doing so on my first try, but honestly I'm not sure if i'll manage to pull it off.

One things I've noticed while playing both CotN and Downwell is that, both rely heavily on reflexes and muscle memory, giving little space to think, but they also require the player to be constantly sharpening their skills, or else they won't manage to do any significant progress. That's a really weird gameplay cycle, as it's almost impossible to realize the two tasks at the same time.

It really helps that the game lets you practice against any enemy or boss at any time. I spent a lot of time just practicing against the red dragons, as they would constantly mess me up.

It gets even harder once you get further on in the story. Right now I'm on what seems like the last zone with the last of the "story" characters, and it's making the earlier stuff feel really easy by comparison.

Eternia

not on AAA games it isn't. Capcom and Ubisoft both seem to be more weary of protecting their prices these days with their releases than before, where you could pretty much guarantee that last year's Assassin's Creed game would be $5-$7.50 shortly before the next year's came out as an example

That shit isn't happening anymore. If you want to argue that there are more 90% sales now then, sure, but that's because there a shit ton more games on the store than before too.
I do agree somewhat that companies are a little more protective than the past but you were talking about 90% off discounts. At the top end, I don't think much has changed. Ubisoft, Capcom and most of the other big publishers rarely (if ever) did extreme discounts. The companies you cited I don't feel are as comparable and what they did weren't a monthly/annual promotion that you would expect.

I got all the Batman Arkham games for 5 bucks, TR2013 and Skyrim have both been around 5 bucks, the Fallout games too, Bioshock, etc. And the champ of discounts, Alan Wake (which never seems to drop below 10 bucks now for some reason).

The games usually drop from 60 to 20, then go 75% from 20.

edit: I was gonna mention Asscreed too, but forgot -they used to be 5 buck chumps famously as well.
I wasn't arguing that they don't get cheap. I meant I usually see them top out at around 75% off. I don't recall an Assassin's Creed going for $2 on Steam.

Nzyme32

People that put out Steam reviews aren't the brightest individuals

zCkHZBi.png

I can safely say that Far Cry Primal is much better than these F tier moe RPGs

I don't think this is really true (Although I'm pretty certain I'd agree with the latter statement). With those kind of games the people buying them are mostly extremely interested in that specific kind of game, so the skew ends up on the positive side assuming the game works.

With most other things you are getting a large variety of people. With the Steam Reviews system based on simply + / - scoring, it actually ends up providing a reasonably good aggregate score compared to other methods, even when there are meme reviews thrown in, since the general + / - score still ends up being true. If you actually want to find a proper review, it isn't hard to look through for a well reasoned set of users vs meme / one liners / crap reasoning that you personally might discard

I do agree somewhat that companies are a little more protective than the past but you were talking about 90% off discounts. At the top end, I don't think much has changed. Ubisoft, Capcom and most of the other big publishers rarely (if ever) did extreme discounts. The companies you cited I don't feel are as comparable and what they did weren't a monthly/annual promotion that you would expect.

I wasn't arguing that they don't get cheap. I meant I usually see them top out at around 75% off. I don't recall an Assassin's Creed going for $2 on Steam.

Oh, yeah, i meant more like 90% off the full price, not so much 90% off sales. The days of getting great AAA for $5 or less seem to be behind us, with $7.50 being the new $5.

Firebrand

Looks like GMG now accepts vouchers for Dark Souls 3 / Deluxe Edition, used the 27% "plz come back" one in my mail.

Going to be interesting to see country of origin for the code in the Steam console if possible. "Flame, dear flame... cyka bljat."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've only played like 1.5 hours and they took away my throwing spear I had in the intro

But it's not anime. Win!

At no point does the game tell you this, but you can craft arrows and spears when viewing the weapon wheel (Q), plus some fallen Udam will have one or the other on their person (spears are rather rare, though). Arrow headshots are invariably instant kills on enemies and lesser beasts, so I stopped using spears outside of hunting.

A number of people have complained about how stealth isn't as viable as in previous games, however I've not found this to be the case. Time to detection does seem to be smaller, but breaking line of sight is quite easy thanks to the dense fauna and there's still a small window of opportunity to perform a takedown upon being detected.

Aaron D.

Released for $17

At 100 titles (weighted 2600 & arcade), that's the most comprehensive Atari collection I've seen to date. Full k/m, Steam, 360 (and more) controller support too.

Just scrolling through that list (Maze Craze! Haunted House!!) is making me think I'll be enjoying some vintage classics this weekend. Even if it's only at a couple minutes a pop.

Strange that there's no 5200 titles. Also a shame that 2600 licensed arcade hits like Donkey Kong & Pac-Man will never make the cut as well. Same goes for Activision classics.

Oh well. Still a fantastic collection of and by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom