• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, any bets on whether Square/Tabata will announce a PC version of FF15 in that Uncovered event on the 30th?

I'm saying yes. With a 50% chance that it's a simultaneous release with the consoles.

I believe it. Especially with the code that was found in the js page (and no, I don't buy the whole copy pasta thing) and especially the russian translation.

Humble bits and bobs for the folks.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hardcastlemccormick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Samorost 2 #2 -- MB-15754762679A55A8 - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.
Samorost 2 -- MB-9EB8CBAF66B92168 - Taken by Balthuk. 1 entrants total.
Total War: Rome II Caesar in Gaul DLC -- MB-725D994C153C8393
Shadowrun Returns 0 -- MB-A057513502EF42BE - Taken by Annubis. 1 entrants total.
Speedrunners -- MB-040CF16E93DE68FE - Taken by data. 2 entrants total.
Canabalt -- MB-DB899A3F98225AEE - Taken by dave is ok. 3 entrants total.
Volgarr The Viking -- MB-040CF16E93DE68FE - Taken by data. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Volgarr The Viking was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1458997913z1.png

Parsnip

I think it's simultaneous release because it's a new game and they want the PC release to benefit from the marketing.
At some point they have to realize that farting out 2 year late PC ports without any fanfare at half price isn't doing them any favors, and that time is now.

I think it's simultaneous release because it's a new game and they want the PC release to benefit from the marketing.
At some point they have to realize that farting out 2 year late PC ports without any fanfare at half price isn't doing them any favors, and that time is now.

Basically, if they want to sell these 300k+ copies at full price, they need to release day and date. Once the hype is dead, sales deflate.

Ludens

Banned

Well, they did that with Rise of the Tomb Raider. And it was not half price, but full price with season pass etc. And it seems it worked.
Also regarding FFIX, I found this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/385429254933267203/

if legit, basically the studio which did the port ended the job, and SE is sitting on the game for some reason (my bet is to sell other copies of the iOS version).

Jawmuncher

Well, they did that with Rise of the Tomb Raider. And it was not half price, but full price with season pass etc. And it seems it worked.

That was also only 2 months and the game was well received.

Also maybe they are sitting on FFIX as a preorder incentive. The free tales for Zesteria worked quite well.

Ludens

Banned
That was also only 2 months and the game was well received.

Also maybe they are sitting on FFIX as a preorder incentive. The free tales for Zesteria worked quite well.

Nah, no way FFIX will be a pre-order incentive. Not from a company which is used to give you a skin or a Dota 2 item if you pre-ordered their games.

My bet is FFIX will be something similar to FFVII and PSX experience, a "and since FFXV will come on PC too, you can find FFIX on Steam right now" thing.

FFXV will sell a lot even with no pre-order boni ;)

Jawmuncher

Nah, no way FFIX will be a pre-order incentive. Not from a company which is used to give you a skin or a Dota 2 item if you pre-ordered their games.

My bet is FFIX will be something similar to FFVII and PSX experience, a "and since FFXV will come on PC too, you can find FFIX on Steam right now" thing.

Yeah I think either way works out.

Sounds like a good plan. :")
Let's remember that SE is also sitting on FFX/X-2 HD remaster on Steam. The thing seems to be finished, they're just waiting to dump it.

Mivey

Let's go of the speculative deep end: I say this time they literally wanted to spend 0$ on the actual PC port, so instead of porting it, they are trying to package the game with Bluestacks and put the whole thing into a giant DRM'd executable that first boots up the Android emulator/virtualiser and then starts the Android game of there. And the thing is currently so unstable and broken that even Square Enix can't release it, so they still ended up hiring some poor sods who now have a few weeks "fixing" it.

Ludens

Banned
Really? I guess it doesn't matter either way since I bought it on Nuuvem.

Which retailer was it? GameStop?

Yes, Gamestop.

Sounds like a good plan. :")
Let's remember that SE is also sitting on FFX/X-2 HD remaster on Steam. The thing seems to be finished, they're just waiting to dump it.

Well, for FFX/X-2 we know literally nothing. The last update is from five months ago. Those games could be "blocked" (waiting for FFIX release first) or maybe they are just complete, and really SE is waiting to dump them on Steam following some kind of strategy. In this case, my bet is they will release X/X-2 on Steam when XII HD version is announced, so they will basically close the circle. They should release FF1+2 anyway, I won't ever replay them but they are missing and the port is really easy to do, in this case.

This... would actually make sense. I could imagine that.

I would be happy too, in this case I would just preorder FFXV avoiding to spend 20€ on IX alone, but...for me, it's impossible. Final Fantasy is THE jrpg franchise, I think it doesn't need a push like the Tales of series. But that's my opinion, maybe I'm totally wrong and FFIX will be a pre-order bonus, but I won't hold my breath.

It still sold fine on PC, but with practically zero marketing. It seems obvious to me that one focused marketing push towards a single ship date on all platforms would have benefited sales on PC as well.

Surely they must see this now.

Eh, I stopped on guessing what strategy a publisher can go with. Take Sega: people ask for Yakuza or other Valkyria games, and we got Sonic Lost World.

Parsnip

It still sold fine on PC, but with practically zero marketing. It seems obvious to me that one focused marketing push towards a single ship date on all platforms would have benefited sales on PC as well.

Jawmuncher

Yeah Tomb Raider should have been day and date with the Xbox version. Then again though it's original release was pretty botched going up against fallout 4.

Even then, it was 2 months after the XB1 release and it was announced before XB1 version was released. I mean, even if at the event, SE announce the game is coming to PC 2 months later than consoles, I think sales are less hurt than being announced 6 months later and dump it in a 2 weeks timeframe on Steam.

Basically, if its a same day and date release, at 60 bucks, I can see the game going in a 300~600k sales, depending on the marketing. Later release but game announced before console release, I can see that doing 200~400k sales at full price. 6 months to 1 year late with no marketing... Welp. I see it at 75~125k at full price. Maybe 200~250k at half the price.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Assassin's Creed: Chronicles: China is pretty legit. I'm digging the fact they allow you to stealth/ghost entire levels a la Mark of the Ninja instead of forcing you into combat. Maybe later levels will sour me, but so far I'm pretty impressed with how Climax worked the IP into a 2D platformer/stealth mismash.

Haunted

Did Slain! turn out to be good?

I completely missed that it was already out; impressions seem fairly disappointed because, while looking very pretty, it doesn't seem to play all that well in terms of controls and gameplay feel. Any SteamGAFers play it?

I completely missed that it was already out; impressions seem fairly disappointed because, while looking very pretty, it doesn't seem to play all that well in terms of controls and gameplay feel. Any SteamGAFers play it?

FWIW, it's gonna need a few patches before it's playable. Mainly control lag.

Hold off until the summer sale.

tv9OsRi.jpg

jealousy intensifies
PCG article incoming.
So, any bets on whether Square/Tabata will announce a PC version of FF15 in that Uncovered event on the 30th?

I'm saying yes. With a 50% chance that it's a simultaneous release with the consoles.
Doubt we'll get any official information on a PC release at least six months after console release. A PC version will come though, I'm certain. SE has been very good with including PC lately.

data

In the giveaway a few posts above I entered for Volgarr, but I won Speedrunners which I didn't enter for, lol. Weirdly enough it says I won both but I only got Speedrunners?

In the giveaway a few posts above I entered for Volgarr, but I won Speedrunners which I didn't enter for, lol. Weirdly enough it says I won both but I only got Speedrunners?

Odd. The Modbot receipt I got PM-ed said you only won Speedrunners.

To avoid further Modbot issues, I'll PM you Volgarr.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

A friend and I played one of our Steam Family member's copy and both agreed that it's pretty awful as far as first impressions. I likened it to something I might have played on Newgrounds 15 years ago. They cheat with not using pixel art for certain things too and it ruins the aesthetics.

Parsnip

FF XV PC announcement will probably be only in press release not on big event like this.
It would be pretty hilarious if they had a release date announcement trailer in the event, and they just quietly snuck a Steam logo in there at the end and no one at the event would notice.

No, it didn't. Even if they fix the control lag, it's got some pretty major problems. The sound is all borked, and while it is *beautiful* (seriously, the pixel art and animation are amazing), it's just not very fun to play. It's a brain-dead version of Castlevania where most of the enemies just walk towards you blindly. There's very little feedback for when you hit enemies or when they hit you.

They say they're going to keep working on it, but it really feels more like an early, early access title at this point.

Haunted

FWIW, it's gonna need a few patches before it's playable. Mainly control lag.

Hold off until the summer sale.

A friend and I played one of our Steam Family member's copy and both agreed that it's pretty awful as far as first impressions. I likened it to something I might have played on Newgrounds 15 years ago. They cheat with not using pixel art for certain things too and it ruins the aesthetics.
No, it didn't. Even if they fix the control lag, it's got some pretty major problems. The sound is all borked, and while it is *beautiful* (seriously, the pixel art and animation are amazing), it's just not very fun to play. It's a brain-dead version of Castlevania where most of the enemies just walk towards you blindly. There's very little feedback for when you hit enemies or when they hit you.

They say they're going to keep working on it, but it really feels more like an early, early access title at this point.
:/

Not the answers I would've liked to hear. Thanks for the input, guys.

Simultaneous release is not happening. I'd be surprised if it was even within 3-6 months from the console release. But I think there is a chance that they will confirm a PC version.

Mivey

FROM scammed all pc gamers 2 years ago with shit lighting. Now they are scamming Xbox owners with shit framerate.

Bunch of scammers these guys I tell ya.
By blinding the user occasionally, FROM forces him/her to use the other senses like hearing to compensate. It's an additional challenge that tests whether you truly understand how to read every aspect of your environment. People just can't comprehend Miyazaki's true genius.

Jawmuncher

By blinding the user occasionally, FROM forces him/her to use the other senses like hearing to compensate. It's an additional challenge that tests whether you truly understand how to read every aspect of your environment. People just can't comprehend Miyazaki's true genius.

It's sad that some people seriously think this.

Anteater

is the ps3 version of dark souls still Miyazaki's true vision

because the xbox one version of dark souls 3 seems like it'd be the closest to that

saw the batman vs superman movie last night, i gotta say as someone who didn't like man of steel I actually really enjoyed BvS. My favorite part actually was watching the bruce in the city when the zodd vs supes thing was happening, it was neat watching the battle from the people's perspective.

Crashes repeatedly on PC.

Slideshow on Xbone.

PS4 it is.

if bloodborne is anything to go by there will be some pretty big frame drops in some places. nothing like blight town on the ps3, but still they're pretty noticeable.

titch

Think i am suffering from sales overload - plenty of easter sales going on atm but i cant be arsed looking through them

I know the Trackmania faithful hate it for being "dumbed down for console peasants" and whatnot, but as someone who's never tried a Trackmania before...

... Trackmania Turbo is pretty damned fun. The whole "mob of 100 cars doing time attack" multiplayer stuff is a riot, and I generally like the course progression of the single-player stuff too (although the progression requirements are strangely completist)

Anustart

Picked up Stick of Truth. Have to admit, I'm not a south park fan, though I haven't tried to watch it in 10+ years. So far I'm enjoying what I've played, nothing amazing yet, but not bad. Hopefully as the game opens up it'll get even better.

Also picked up Lego worlds for the kids, they enjoy that!

Picked up Stick of Truth. Have to admit, I'm not a south park fan, though I haven't tried to watch it in 10+ years. So far I'm enjoying what I've played, nothing amazing yet, but not bad. Hopefully as the game opens up it'll get even better.

Also picked up Lego worlds for the kids, they enjoy that!

ah man imagine if you actually liked south park. love that game so much, its a love letter to all south park fans and has the bonus of being a pretty fun gameplay.

sheaaaa

I know the Trackmania faithful hate it for being "dumbed down for console peasants" and whatnot, but as someone who's never tried a Trackmania before...

... Trackmania Turbo is pretty damned fun. The whole "mob of 100 cars doing time attack" multiplayer stuff is a riot, and I generally like the course progression of the single-player stuff too (although the progression requirements are strangely completist)

How exactly has it been dumbed down? I'm curious as someone who's never played a Trackmania and is interested in this.

I saw some guy in another thread lamenting that he couldn't play custom levels like a penis car to a Sonic the Hedgehog soundtrack anymore and I just thought that sounds like the worst thing I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom