• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molemitts

I got £2.55 from selling loads of trading cards ages ago. Now I don't know what to spend it on and, for no justifiable reason, I feel bad just using it towards a more expensive game.

I'd like the weed emote but that's still pretty expensive.

Phawx

azBhD9l.gif

The crying cinches it.

Jawmuncher

Alternative reading: Blizzard removes sexy pose from character who has no in-character reason to do a sexy pose, keeps it for character that does have in-game reason to do sexy pose.

But what reason does anyone have to be sexy in Overwatch? But I get what you mean, I don't really care that it's gone. I just always fine the extreme reactions from both sides interesting. Not saying that yours is that. I don't even know what I'm asking.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Its so hard having a nice butt these days.

I'm offended by the gorilla, can I get him cut from the game?

Overwatch is so lame, that was a dumb pose. This whole thing reminds me why the games industry is so childish.

This idea of calling it censorship is over dramatic.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Alternative reading: Blizzard removes sexy pose from character who has no in-character reason to do a sexy pose, keeps it for character that does have in-game reason to do sexy pose.

Well if it's out of character might as well change it to something more suitable.

meanwhile in league we're changing our splash arts from this

to this

all the ugly turned into anime
I don't think either looks better than the other really.

A Fish Aficionado

Both sides look ridiculous really

Sure, which is why I called it childish. Overly reactive "tumblr" posts are just as bad as people calling censorship, or too PC.

But really, poses like that and other oversexualized characters are really something lame. Like pit girls in motorsports, just cringy nowadays.

Phawx

But what reason does anyone have to be sexy in Overwatch? But I get what you mean, I don't really care that it's gone. I just always fine the extreme reactions from both sides interesting. Not saying that yours is that. I don't even know what I'm asking.

No one has any reason to be sexy in Overwatch. They should either be angst-ridden due to impending death in a gauntlet of killing or well, I guess emotionless because they are war-hardened. I'm not really sure of the emotional range for people put in the circumstance.

At a personal level, I don't subscribe to the notion of X in video games does Y to people. It seems like it will always be a fight. The violence one we won. The perceived objectification is a rather regressive stance and one that I don't follow. If there is one thing, regardless of the person's intelligence, people know when they are being pandered too.

It is surprising that this pandering image:

X-Blades_Cover.jpg

is considered to be more of a problem then this subversive image:

It literally has, 'Mama' and 'Kitchen' in the title.

Ultimately I don't care about this wave of "Won't somebody think of the children!". I don't play video games because the protagonist is a white male. I don't play video games because of pandering titties. I play them because they are fun or interesting or scary or etc.

Edit: I should probably add for anyone that feels because I am a white male that I've 'had-my-fill', so of course it doesn't matter to me. Just to be perfectly clear, I am completely A-Okay with games being diverse, non-offensive, whatever. A diverse, non-offensive, whatever game can still fill my criteria of 'fun, interesting, scary, etc'

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I'm someone who has never seen Overwatch besides the leaked Kotaku screenshots, has no interest in the garbage MOBA FPS genre, and hasn't played more than a few hours of a Blizzard game since about 2000. All of this is stuff I figured out by Googling over the last few minutes.

Widowmaker, according to the Overwatch wiki, is characterized as an amoral "living weapon", willing to do anything to get the kill. This is in keeping with the "femme fatale" character archetype which has a long cultural history, going back as far as Lillith in the bible. The temptress, the seductress, the Siren, Mata Hari. We have lots of cultural references for this: the use of outward sex appeal to deceive or manipulate, ruthlessness, violence. Widowmaker has an ass-pose on her victory screen.

Tracer, again according to the Overwatch wiki, seems to be inspired by Amelia Earhart. She wears a pilot bomber jacket and goggles. She's literally a test pilot in the game's canon. She appears to have a very light-hearted, goofy personality. Manic pixie dream girl, maybe.

The complaint argues (excerpting for length, not to change the argument):
I think the development team has done a pretty great job with the cast of female hero's in Overwatch. hey are diverse, interesting, and compelling. From Mei to Zarya to Widowmaker the female cast reflects a large spectrum of personalities and player fantasies...

... Lets talk about Tracer. From a marketing standpoint, she's the star of the show. She's a great hero. She's Fast.
She's Silly. She's Kind. She's a good Friend. Her body seems to be comprised of about 95% spunk. Almost all of her art reflects this...

Then out of seemingly no where we have this pose:
http://overwatch.blizzplanet.com/wp...2/tracer-victory-pose-2-over-the-shoulder.png

What about this pose has anything to do with the character you're building in tracer? It's not fun, its not silly, it has nothing to do with being a fast elite killer. It just reduces tracer to another bland female sex symbol.

We aren't looking at a widowmaker pose here, this isn't a character who is in part defined by flaunting her sexuality.

Seems to me like the complainant, who again was successful so obviously the character designers themselves believe s/he has a point, has a similar understanding of the characters as what I was able to derive by checking on them.

It is surprising that this pandering image:
[X-Blades]

is considered to be more of a problem then this subversive image:
[Cooking Mama]

This point was made at the time, which is one reason why Mama branched out (Camping Mama, Gardening Mama, Crafting Mama) and why the sequel included male characters.

A Fish Aficionado

meanwhile in league we're changing our splash arts from this

to this

all the ugly turned into anime

Riot has a terrible art team, same with Blizzard. Something about that style rubs me the wrong way.

If Blizzard wanted to copy TF2, then take a lesson from their character design.

xist

The single player mode of F.E.A.R. 3 is shit. Don't go through it alone.

Thanks for your own views on the first two F.E.A.R games....I came straight from the Dead Space trilogy looking for something with a creepy element which is why the series caught my attention. That and it was mega cheap on Bundlestars! I actually had to look up a lot of the plot of the first game so I had a better idea of what went on.....I know for some people that would count as a plus for being multi-faceted, but a lot of what was supposed to have happened
(the attack on the water plant, i think?, I only got vague hints about that during the game)
left me non-plussed as I played. Because of that whilst I understood the basic points of putting down Fettel and the abuse of Alma, I was trudging on in the hope of clarity which never really happened.
I was actually hoping for more info about Point Man's background beyond being a failure at telepathic soldier control.
And whilst Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate weren't canon, having played through 2 they don't really seem to have done much harm to the overarching story. Although if 3 continues on from where 2 has left me I have no idea where it's going to go....and I'm stuck for friends so it's the solo experience for me, although your own experience has me worried!

I'll let you know if and when I survive the experience.....

Jawmuncher

I'm someone who has never seen Overwatch besides the leaked Kotaku screenshots, has no interest in the garbage MOBA FPS genre, and hasn't played more than a few hours of a Blizzard game since about 2000. All of this is stuff I figured out by Googling over the last few minutes.

Widowmaker, according to the Overwatch wiki, is characterized as an amoral "living weapon", willing to do anything to get the kill. This is in keeping with the "femme fatale" character archetype which has a long cultural history, going back as far as Lillith in the bible. The temptress, the seductress, the Siren, Mata Hari. We have lots of cultural references for this: the use of outward sex appeal to deceive or manipulate, ruthlessness, violence. Widowmaker has an ass-pose on her victory screen.

Tracer, again according to the Overwatch wiki, seems to be inspired by Amelia Earhart. She wears a pilot bomber jacket and goggles. She's literally a test pilot in the game's canon. She appears to have a very light-hearted, goofy personality. Manic pixie dream girl, maybe.

The complaint argues (excerpting for length, not to change the argument):

Seems to me like the complainant, who again was successful so obviously the character designers themselves believe s/he has a point, has a similar understanding of the characters as what I was able to derive by checking on them.

This point was made at the time, which is one reason why Mama branched out (Camping Mama, Gardening Mama, Crafting Mama) and why the sequel included male characters.

Interesting. I didn't even know there was that much info on the characters out.

I imagine one must live a charmed life if minor things like this can upset them (and I include both getting worked up by the pose and then getting annoyed that it's being changed).

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think either looks better than the other really.
i think the second one looks tons better but neither of those are final. the second splash art is taken from the chinese version of the game and they're just using chinese splashes that look better than the western ones while they work on redrawing them for realsies

Why did they get rid of the cuddlies?
idk, asking myself the same question

Riot has a terrible art team, same with Blizzard. Something about that style rubs me the wrong way.

If Blizzard wanted to copy TF2, then take a lesson from their character design.
i don't agree, league had a terrible art style on release but it's been forever since there's been bad champion designs and that's just a picture of an old character

these days specially they've been exploring the more whimsical and fairy tale aspect of the game and the characters just look amazing

then they redid the map which looks really clean and colorful and pretty imo, considering it runs on pretty much any toaster

(couldn't find any more pictures quickly)

like i understand not liking the art style but league's art team is super good

i can't speak much for blizzard but i'm a big fan of the character designs in overwatch. the characters look like modernized 90s cartoon action heroes which is totally awesome and now that tf2 isn't the only game that figured out silhuetting it's doing a lot of those same things (league does this too) with silhuetting, points of interest, posing and animation, color gradients and color design in general, etc.

so yea idk, i think you just don't like those designs, tf2 has a great and unique artstyle, but yeah i'm not accepting blizz and rito having bad art teams, that's just silly

zkylon

zkylewd
i guess you don't mean league cos rito doesn't really have products lol

i mean, considering many of their games are on the same universe (warcraft-wow, hearthstone, hots and everything) it'd be kind of bad if it didn't

but overwatch at least looks pretty distinct from the rest. there's a few bulky dudes in armor but you have everything from ninjas to like monk robots to korean girls riding mechas to spawn to a gorilla scientist dude to cowboys etc.

League art still looks terrible.
compared to something or altogether?

i can entertain the idea of saying "not as good as doto" or whatever, but i think if you see those screenshots from the game and you think that's terrible then idk what to tell you

what's not terrible then

Anno

Eh I don't think Overwatch should be compared much to a MOBA. Unless being 5v5 with individual characters/skills makes something a MOBA.

Corpekata

Banned
What "extreme reactions" did people even hear about the butt pose prior to removal? They got feedback, they removed it. There wasn't some twitter campaign or petition. There wasn't a thread here about it.

Not everything removed from a game is a reaction to some giant movement to take away your fan service.

League's art style succeeds at being recognizable, even if it started really bad and low-fi.

Does the loadscreen art finally match up with the models in-game? That was always the most unfortunate part of its art.
I'm not sure if Overwatch should be considered as a MOBA or not.
I think I should watch a newer trailer or two.

It's a team-based shooter like TF2.

But focused on the best TF2 mode, arena.

Grief.exe

Considering the arguments presented and the character lore, that seems like a legitimate reason to remove that pose.
They could add that pose to Widowmaker and no one would bat an eye... Of course it's the internet,someone will assuredly be offended somewhere, regardless of logical reasoning.

Eh I don't think Overwatch should be compared much to a MOBA. Unless being 5v5 with individual characters/skills makes something a MOBA.

It's a team-based shooter like TF2.

But focused on the best TF2 mode, arena.

Yes, that's what I remember as well. It's an arena FPS game like TF2, nothing like MOBA.
The main signature features of MOBA are the creeps and lines they're assigned to.

Anyway, speaking of which, apparently Paragon is doing quite well even in the current state.
I honestly didn't expect it. The game didn't quite get a good attention/reception on the initial reveals in the past few months. But people seem to enjoy the beta/early access.

Phawx

At the time that Cooking Mama was at the peak of its popularity, selling multi-million units. The publisher is defunct now.

How bout that. I just searched right now and I can't find anything. The only thing I've found is some PETA controversy with Cooking Mama (which I also didn't know happened as well as some people suggesting that the PETA controversy is why they branched out) I've never investigated the series personally, I've only ever had the cover art to form an opinion about it. My point still stands: Cooking Mama as the cover art (if reinforcing behavior is impactful through imagery alone) is the same as these images in shopping magazines:

ky108006.jpg

I'll admit that I don't follow this wave too closely, but of all the video series on sexism in pop culture and LGBT being mentioned, (including a cursory google search just now) no one ever mentioned Cooking Mama. IMHO, out of all the media that can 'brainwash' people, I could at least understand the reasoning behind 'reinforcing' negative stereotypes through all of Cooking Mama's box art.

I personally think Cooking Mama box art is regressive. But it's also wholesome, PG, good-for-the-whole-family. And it's subversive that way.

But people only mention the bombastic stuff. /shrug

Adnor

Banned
So Riot looked at the Dota 2 map and decided to use the same color palette? That's actually cool, that new map looks so much better than the older one which was too saturated and hard to read for what I remember.

zkylon

zkylewd
man i'm surprised people are so salty about league art

i don't get it, "bad deviantart" sounds like a really bad way of putting whatever you're trying to say

I'm not sure if Overwatch should be considered as a MOBA or not.
I think I should watch a newer trailer or two.
it's not a moba

it's a fps with characters designed as if they were moba characters (as in, they have a passive, basic abilities and an ultimate)

League's art style succeeds at being recognizable, even if it started really bad and low-fi.

Does the loadscreen art finally match up with the models in-game? That was always the most unfortunate part of its art.
yeah, the characters and skins released in the past 4 years or so have been like that.

for older characters and skins riot has been slowly changing the art so it better matches their current standards. new splashes and new models better match each other, and some characters are completely redesigned

So Riot looked at the Dota 2 map and decided to use the same color palette? That's actually cool, that new map looks so much better than the older one which was too saturated and hard to read for what I remember.

Yes, that's the thing that actually pushed me away from LoL. I have a partial color-blindness.

Nabs

I'm currently playing Dark Souls with the controller and it's awesome. I have it set up where my d-pad items are also on the right touchpad, so I never have to reach for the d-pad during battle. Dark Souls 2 is even better because of the mouse support. I'm excited.

Phawx

Speaking of Overwatch, it really is unfortunate for the Monday Night Combat guys. Perhaps if they made the game F2P in the beginning it would have been a different story. But now all the new hotness are Overwatch, Paragon, Paladins.

MNC and SMNC just seemed to come out or pivot at the wrong times.

Edit: Unrelated but cool news, Contra is coming to Android:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwT7U1XDdY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom